Baby H’s Nursery

Hiya friends! I’ve now officially had 4 full days of maternity leave (6 if you count the weekend, but I don’t as those would have been “days off” anyways :)) and I’ve kept myself fairly busy. I’ll do a separate post with all the things I’ve been up to, but one thing I did this weekend was put the finishing touches on Baby H’s nursery, which I’m excited to share.

In our old home in Kamloops when I would imagine creating a nursery I always thought it would include some major painting work. However, since our current home is a new build it seemed crazy to paint over brand new paint, and also the entire house is already a nice neutral grey, which was perfect for our gender neutral nursery.

Here are some pics…

On the right hand side of the room is the crib, the glider is centred under the window with the nightstand tucked in the corner.

I just adore this nightstand! My mom helped me refinish it with chalk paint. The light on top is from Ikea and the adorable little moccasins were made by my mother-in-law. I seriously cannot wait for Baby H to wear those! Of course I had to have something pineapple in the nursery of our miracle baby πŸ™‚

Across from the crib is the dresser we are using as a changing table and the start of Baby H’s book collection. I bought this dresser at a thrift store in Kamloops over 2 years ago for $20! It was always going to be the dresser for the baby’s room and I’m so grateful that time is finally here. The changing pad on top is from Walmart and the adorable little chevron basket was a gift and holds all of the diaper changing essentials.

A mirror and a collage of our maternity photos / Baby H’s ultrasound picture hang above the changing table. That blank space below the photo collage frame will be for his or her name once we know what that is πŸ™‚

My mom bought Baby H the teepee at Costco, and while he/she won’t be able to play in it for awhile it works well to hide the laundry basket for now πŸ™‚ The crib is from Wayfair and was very generously gifted to us by my dad! Also I didn’t take any pictures of the closet, but it is directly to the right of the teepee and right full of stuff as well.

Of course Baby H already has an extensive book collection, thanks mostly to gifts from family and friends! We got the shelving at Jysk and plan to buy two more shelves to continue up the wall as his/her book collection grows.

I love these two prints I picked up at a local store (The Artisan Farmhouse) and they are in grey frames from Walmart.

We already owned the dresser and the nightstand but refinished them both with chalk paint so they would match. My aunt gave us her old glider and my grandma refinished the cushions on it and my dad gifted us our crib. So we were lucky that we did not have to spend a lot of money purchasing furniture for the nursery. The total cost for refinishing the glider, dresser and nightstand was less than $200! We have been so lucky with how generous our family and friends have been.

I am in love with this space and can’t stop staring at it. I plan to spend a lot of time in there over the remainder of my maternity leave using the glider and reading a few labour and baby preparation books I still haven’t really dove into. Nothing like leaving it until the last minute πŸ˜‰

I’m also really happy with how the space turned out because it doesn’t feel too baby-ish or kid-ish. I think it could very easily be converted into a ‘big kid room’ down the road, or also a completely different space if we ever decide to rearrange completely. We are lucky to have a 4-bedroom home so it was a no brainer to dedicate an entire room to Baby H. When we lived in Kamloops we had always planned on having a nursery/office space combined since we only had a 3 bedroom home there and did not want to give up our guest room.

Hope you enjoyed the tour of Baby H’s nursery.

Love how it turned out! I also love the grey colour of your walls- we painted amelia’s room grey when we moved her into her big girl room

2. Cara says:

What a beautiful nursery! I was put on bedrest when I was pregnant with our oldest, and I remember waddling my way into her nursery and rocking in the rocking chair for hours everyday. Folding, reorganizing clothes. Such a special memory I will cherish, just as you will cherish this time waiting for your sweet bundle.

I love it soooo much, especially the story of the dresser! This baby is already so loved <3

4. I love your nursery so much! It’s such a beautiful, soothing space! My favorite part is the shelves of books, of course! I love that he or she already has a little library! I am glad that you are getting a chance to use the dresser that you intended for the nursery. I am sure there were times when you wondered if you’d ever have a nursery!

It looks fabulous! I adore everything and those prints are just the cutest. You know I love penguins πŸ™‚ Here’s hoping Baby H makes his/her appearance in a safe and timely fashion. <3

6. Alison says:

Looks SO great!! You did a great job and I LOVE the pineapple!

7. I love it, of course. Absolutely adorable. Couple of other thoughts to put into your head….

Might want to consider a blackout curtain over the window. The glider is a great place to get the baby to sleep (hard with a light in his/her face) and a darker room will help the baby sleep longer, which you will desperately need.

I love that the bookshelves are attached to the wall, the baby will use those to pull up into a standing position soon enough. Be sure they are attached very well. Also you can’t have too many baby books and they add up so fast, you might want to consider something larger. Adding 2 more shelves above those will help, but still be about 1/4 of the book storage space you will need.

Be sure the dresser and nightstand are stable – again the baby can grab that type of handle easily and use them to pull up into a standing position. When this turns into rocking the cabinet until something falls off of the top of the dresser it can be problematic. We anchored ours to the wall, you might also want to change the type of handles into something less grip-friendly.

The changing pad is a bit dangerous. Be sure you have a trash can/diaper genie nearby. Baby will squirm and move around so you will need to keep one hand on the baby while throwing the diaper away with the other one. You’re going to cloth diapers too, and the baby can’t stay up there while you deal with the existing dirty. Most changing tables have rails on top and the changing pads have a strap to keep the pad in place when baby moves around. Might want to take the straps and screw those into the wall to anchor it.

I mean, none of my kids actually fell out of the changing table, but I did have one fall off of the glider once and shake a bookshelf until a pile of books fell on her head. Sorry for pointing out all of the safety/sleep things, just trying to share some experience here.

• Amber says:

Yes great tips! Changing pad is already anchored to the dresser and has straps on it to strap baby down! We are not doing cloth diapers though, I think you are thinking of Lisa πŸ™‚

The curtains you see hanging down behind the glider are black out curtains! So when they are drawn shut it makes it super dark in there, so nice. They also keep heat out which is key as this room faces directly west so gets a lot of afternoon sunlight especially in the summer.

Eric already has plans to anchor the dresser / nightstand to the wall down the road!

The hanging book shelves on the walls are really more for “looks” πŸ˜‰ We have a big bookshelf in the closet for all the extra books and then we can switch them out for the bookshelves hanging on the walls to keep it fresh and new! Eric got super heavy duty drywall screws to anchor those bookshelves on the wall so they are hooked in good, I could pull myself up on them ha ha.

8. Marie-Christine says:

It looks great! Love it!

9. San says:

What a beautiful gender-neutral nursery! I love it. The animal prints are too cute (you think I could get away with hanging one or two in my home? :))

Your nursery is so beautiful! I love the colors and, of course, all of the books. It’s perfect. πŸ™‚

11. Sarah says:

Looks, great! Wonderful job! Do you mind sharing where you got the “Adventure” sign–what a great detail. Thanks in advance!

12. Beautiful nursery! I love the animal prints πŸ™‚