41 weeks pregnant

Hello from 41 weeks pregnant, aka 1 week overdue, aka hell.

First, if you have never been overdue please see below. Every single person who has been overdue is sending me supportive messages “I’m so sorry!” “I know how much it sucks” and people who had their babies early, on time, or 20+ years ago are the ones who tend to say “baby will come when they are ready.” Yes, easy for you to say if a) you’ve never been 41 weeks pregnant or b) you haven’t had a baby in over 20 years. #justsayin

Let me tell you, I’ve now been 37 weeks pregnant and 41 weeks pregnant and 37 weeks pregnant is 1,000x more comfortable than 41 weeks. So while I’m obviously very glad that baby didn’t come dangerously early, that doesn’t make it any less annoying/uncomfortable/crappy that baby is so late.

See also, all the things I’ve tried to bring on labour. Google “ways to naturally induce labour” and I can guarantee you I’ve tried it. For whatever reason, this baby is incredibly comfy on the inside and doesn’t seem to want to budge.

All of this is made worse by the fact that we are having the most horrendous weather right now. We’ve had around 60 – 70 cm (almost 30 inches) of snow in November, and it’s only the 20th! It was also -27 C (-16 F) yesterday, aka too cold to do anything outside the house.

I always thought that baby would be a bit late, but I was hoping it would just be a few days, especially since we know the exact date we conceived. I did not think baby would be 7+ days late and I also didn’t think we’d have such hellish weather around his/her due date that basically makes it impossible to venture outside of the house. Every single day feels like it’s 48 hours long, not 24 hours.

And no, I won’t “sleep while I can” thanksverymuch considering how insanely uncomfortable I am when trying to sleep and that I wake up every 2 – 3 hours due to sore hips, having to pee, a throbbing / swollen hand or cramping. And every time I wake up – even if the need to pee wasn’t what originally woke me up – I have to go pee anyways.

Will I miss being pregnant? Yes, I think I will. However, I definitely will NOT miss being 41 weeks pregnant and I definitely could have done without this last extra week of pregnancy and I would never wish going overdue on anyone. 40 weeks is more than enough time to be pregnant and every second over and above is torturous.

Anyways, regardless of what happens, Baby H will be here this week as we will be induced on Thursday (10 days overdue) if he/she hasn’t made her appearance by then. Thursday truly feels like an eternity away to me still, but at least there is an end in sight.

I’ll leave you with this. As you were…

1. Lori says:

Hugs, hugs, hugs, hugs!!! That’s all I have for you!!! and more hugs!!!

Oh Amber, sending you all the labour vibes I can!! You got this!

3. Oh man, people just need to keep their dang mouths shut. Comments ilke, ‘baby will come when he or she is ready’ are NOT helpful. It’s not like that thought maybe hadn’t occurred to you. And you don’t need to hear that over and over and over and over again! I’m annoyed on your behalf.

Rant away, my friend. Being pregnant is hard enough as is, and even worse when you are overdue and extra uncomfortable!! Thinking of you and hoping that baby makes his or her arrival asap. Like right now!!

4. Lindsey says:

I hated the rest and sleep while you can advice too! Your weather sounds horrible – we had snow early too but not that much! Yuck!!
    Thinking of you this week!

5. Lauren says:

I hear all of this! I delivered at 41 +1 and felt this exact same way in the last week. I didn’t want to talk to people because they all annoyed me but at the same time I was so BORED and wanted to do anything to make the days move faster. I did get some satisfaction out of telling people in public that I was overdue because they’d all look at me fearfully as though my water would break right then and there (I WISH!).

I also was so annoyed that my March baby was apparently not going to come until April. (He made it just in the nick of time though.)

I wish I had some sage advice but sadly I think none exists. I did bake a lot which I appreciated when I came home from the hospital. Hang in there!

People are just the worst at saying things to people when they have no business saying it. They should practice more empathy and less talking just to talk. Rant away! Thinking of you and sending hugs as that’s all this person who has never been pregnant can say. <3

I was 2.5 weeks over. I tried ALL THE THINGS to get that baby out and nothing worked haha. The labour inducing lemon cupcakes were pretty delicious, even if they didn’t induce labour. To this day, Liam still does things in his own time. Good luck!

8. Sam says:

Oh love, I was waiting for your post on this, but also hoping baby would have shown up by now! I swear you will look back on this and laugh (like I was chuckling reading this). That baby WILL come out and you will feel amazing not having to pee all the time and the pressure and swelling will go away. It will be awesome. You are a trooper and I am with Kara in sending you all the labouring vibes and “get out baby” wishes I can. End of pregnancy is it’s own kind of hell, you are sure right about that. And the age gap from pregnancies really does make you forget… silly moms! You’ve got this when the time comes.

Thinking of you, Amber! <3 I can't imagine how uncomfortable you must feel right now, so just giving you lots of love and good labor vibes.

10. I was overdue as well and it sucked. There is nothing I can tell you that you haven’t already read up on so I am just going to send you a lot of supportive hugs!

Just wait until that moment you realize the baby is not inside you anymore. I think I had a sense of relief when Em came out.

And the last meme is on point! I would be asked that EVERY DAY by family. DONT YOU THINK I WOULD HAVE TOLD YOU FIRST?!?!?! haha

11. Emilie says:

Oh Amber! I’m so sorry. I know it’s so super hard at the end. I absolutely hated the last month and all the well-meaning advice that did not make me feel better in the moment. Crossing my fingers you go before tomorrow and if not, hoping for a fast delivery for you with your induction. You’re in my thoughts here next couple days! Hang in there, mama!

12. Oh no! Being overdue does NOT sound fun at all – sorry that you had to go through that.

But, I am reading this late, and that means that TODAY IS BABY DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!! I am so excited for you, and can’t wait to hear that he or she has arrived 🙂

13. TravelSpot says:

Argh! I hope yesterday went well and that you are a lot more comfortable now! I can’t wait to see Baby H!

14. Hayley says:

I’ve been coming back daily hoping for an update and to see sweet one’s face. I’ve been a long-time reader, but seldom comment. Sorry about that! But I’ve been following along with you pre-wedding, the moves and pregnancy and am just so excited for the two of you. That first week after baby is born is a whirlwind, so I totally understand it’s not been a high priority to write a blog post! haha. Until then, I’ll keep coming back looking for that first baby post! Sending you lots of sleep. 🙂