Looking Forward

After seeing Lisa’s Looking Forward post last week I realized that I have quite a lot to look forward to in the early part of 2017 and wanted to share a similar post with you all!

Today I am looking forward to a quiet night in with Eric. We never do anything super “special” to celebrate Valentine’s Day, but it will be nice to just spend some time together tonight and relax. Especially since today is Eric’s first day of his week off and he just finished working 14 days straight where we really don’t get to see much of each other at all.

This week I am looking forward to attending a meditation workshop tomorrow night. I have really gotten into meditating over the last year after I bought the calm app for my phone. In October 2016 I made it a goal to meditate every single day. My favourite time to meditate was actually right after waking up. My alarm would go off and I would immediately plug in my headphones and do a guided meditation. It was a really lovely transition from sleeping to being awake.

This weekend I am just looking forward to hanging out with Eric as it’s his weekend off. I really, really miss (more than I ever knew I would) our routines from when we worked similar schedules. For a long time we both worked Mon – Fri and even had similar hours. Since moving, Eric has been working 12 hour days. He did have weekends off but in October he switched to a different role in the company and now works 14 & 7 – 14 days on (12 hour days) and then 7 days off. I still work 5 & 2 (5 days on and then 2 days off (aka – a typical work week). Our schedules really don’t mesh and it’s tough. Anyways, this weekend off together will be nice even though we don’t have many plans!

This month I am looking forward to moving into our new home! We have been renting since moving and saving money like crazy. Last month we finally found the home we wanted and put in an offer. The subjects came off on February 10 and on March 8 we will get possession of our new home. It’s a half-duplex but is incredibly big and spacious. One of the things that sold us on it was the amazing kitchen. I cannot wait to cook in this place!

This spring I am looking forward to our next big trip together to England & Iceland! We are going April/May for 2 weeks and it’s going to be amazing. First we are spending 4 nights in London where we will take in Harry Potter & the Cursed Child (our main reason for this trip – Eric got the tickets over a year ago!) and then we will head off to Iceland for 10 days where we have rented a camper van to drive the Ring Road! If you have any tips for either place I’d love to hear them 🙂

I am also very much looking forward to traveling to Minneapolis in May for Lisa & Phil’s wedding!! <3

As for the rest of the year… I have some ideas about the adventures it will hold, but I’m not totally sure what they will look like yet. Stay tuned! I am determined to make 2017 a wonderful and epic year in any way I can 🙂

What are you looking forward to today, this week, this weekend and this spring?

1. Cynthia says:

I’m seeing Cursed Child on the 27th and 28th of April! 😀

Oooo I can’t wait to hear what you are thinking for other adventures in 2017! You already have a lot to look forward to!

This reminds me I forgot to talk to you about Iceland and 4 wheel drive vehicles. I think it depends on what you are planning to do there. Did you decide what to do about the car?

That must be really hard with Eric and your work schedule. I honestly can’t even imagine as my Eric and I work almost the exact same hours. Will he change at some point to a more regular schedule or is this just how it’s going to be for the near future?

3. Travel Spot says:

You have a lot to look forward to! Congrats on the new place! That’s going to be great to have your own place again, where you can putz around and do work in the backyard and stuff. I really enjoy that kind of stuff, in fact, I am putting in a patio thingy in the backyard right now!

What I am looking forward to… this week: running with some friends and a possible weekend trip to Yosemite for some snowshoeing. This month: finishing working on my patio thingy! The next quarter: A trip to the Grand Canyon and Lisas wedding! The next year: hopefully completing a 100 miler, getting my tomatoes in the ground, continued success at work, and a summer trip to TBD!

4. This is a great list of things to look forward to! This time of year I need to focus on what’s ahead as winter is hard on me! I would struggle with having such a different work schedule – I hope that Eric can find something with a similar work schedule soon! I’m so lucky that Phil and I work the exact same hours. It would be hard to be like ships passing in the night!

You already know what I am looking forward to since you read my post last week! Another thing I’m looking forward to that I didn’t mention in the post is running outdoors! The running paths can be very icy here this time of year and it’s just not worth the risk for me so all my running is happening indoors these days.

5. Marisa says:

You are going to love Iceland and are doing it right! We are going the camper route when we go back. Are you using happy camper? Definitely spend time in the north around Lake Myvatn. The Myvatn Nature Baths are the best! Cheaper than Blue Lagoon and amazing views. And the staff brings you beers. Best way to end a full day of hiking.

That kitchen!!! It’s gorgeous! Congrats on finding a space to make your own!

Today I’m looking forward to poutine! The rest of the week is pretty ho-hum 😉

Congratulations on your new home! The kitchen definitely is gorgeous. So exciting! You have lots of exciting things to look forward to

8. Wow I can’t imagine working 14 12-hour shifts in a row. That sounds SO hard!! Working different hours than your S.O. is tough, hope you enjoy this time together!!

That schedule has to be so difficult. Is he going to work normal hours anytime soon? My stepdad is a truck driver so he’s out on the road for 28 days at a time and then home for just a short 5 days. It’s tough for my mom. I don’t know how either of you do it!

Also, that kitchen gives me all of the heart-eyes. Congrats on the house!

Let’s see… today, I’m looking forward to visiting my Pops at his rehab facility; this weekend, I’m looking forward to getting my taxes DONE so I don’t have to think about them anymore; and this spring, I’m looking forward to visiting NYC in May.

10. Congratulations on the new house! That is certainly something great to look forward to. The kitchen looks amazing.

Congrats on the house, that is such a beautiful kitchen. Your trip sounds awesome too!

12. Heidi says:

I am thinking of purchasing the Calm app – I have been using the free ones for a while and there is a sale this week with the first three months free. Are you glad you purchased the premium app? Do you find it worthwhile?

That kitchen is soooo amazing!! Congrats!! I hope we get a tour after you have moved in!

14. Iceland!!!! Wow! That will be incredible!

Great new kitchen in your new place – I especially love the counter tops.

15. That trip to England/Iceland sounds like so much fun!!

16. […] We bought another house!! This time a half-duplex. We had been saving like crazy and house searching the entire 8 months since moving and we finally found the right place for us. I have to say, 6 months later and I still LOVE our home so much. The layout is perfect for us and it’s just the right size. Not too big or too small. I am still fully obsessed with our kitchen as well. I have to say, I didn’t think I’d be 29 and own two homes but this is another thing I feel pretty darn grateful for. […]