Podcasts, workouts, books and looks of December!

Happy Friday! This weekend I am going to be working on all the Kauai posts… but until then, here is my December recap. As mentioned in the November recap I am changing up the format of this recap to better reflect my lifestyle. So meals has been exchanged for podcasts and miles has been exchanged for workouts..

Podcasts

planet-money-podcast

I am again sharing another Planet Money podcast this month. The episode Burnout about how a call centre basically got rid of their turnover rate was really interesting. I work closely with the HR department in my new (is it still “new” when I’ve been there 9.5 months?!) and employee turnover / communications / happiness has been of interest to me lately.

screen-shot-2017-01-05-at-8-11-04-pm

I also started listening to the podcast Terrible, thanks for asking in December and I love it. The content is very heavy but it’s also so real and so human and, often, quite funny and amusing. I definitely recommend checking it out.

Workouts

img_4025

Still no running in December but I did make it a goal to walk 12,000 steps every single day in December and I achieved that goal on 29 / 31 days. One day I walked like 11,700 steps but was too tired in Hawaii to get the extra 300 in and the other day was December 30 (the day we came home from Hawaii) and I was just too jet lagged / tired to walk another 3,000 steps so only hit 9,000. I am definitely very proud of myself for achieving 12,000+ steps on 29 days though. Especially since we had some epically cold weather in December. It got down to – 40 C (which is also about – 40 F). The free indoor walking track (pictured above) was my best friend and once or twice I went and walked laps around the mall!! I was also much more conscious and aware of sitting all day at my desk and made an extra effort to get up and walk around the office.

In addition to walking I also went to yoga 8 times in December and started following the Fitness Blender 8-week program for busy people again. So even though I’m not running I am definitely getting workouts in.

Books

7e85cc2f-9ebe-487b-b867-82ecea120aab

I read 7 books in December. The most books I’ve read in one month all year. Thank you vacation!! My very favourite books of the month are the top three – Eligible, Bird Box and Truly Madly Guilty. In fact, Bird Box and Eligible were two of my very favourite books of the whole year. I blogged more about them in my favourite books of 2016 post.

Sleeping Giants was just OK, I enjoyed the first half of it but the second half dragged on and was a bit confusing. Unstoppable was our family book club pick and I listened to it on audio. It was interesting, but a little too science-y for me and I had trouble grasping all of the concepts. All the Bright Places was another 5-star book for me in 2016 and a very fast and captive read. Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children is our family book club pick for January and I read it early. It was OK and a fairly fast read but not my favourite, even though I know many people loved that book.

Looks

img_4117

This is an outfit I wore to work at the beginning of the month and I liked it enough to take a photo of it 🙂 Just a pair of burgundy jeans, grey t-shirt, black blazer and a scarf. Pretty simple.

img_4317

My favourite look of December is without a doubt this dress I wore to the wedding Eric and I attended on December 21 in Vancouver. It’s from Reitmans and the store in FSJ did not have my size – they had one too small and one too big. My size also wasn’t available online. So I called the store in Kamloops and they had my size so they put it on hold for me and my mom picked it up and mailed it to me (thanks, mom!)

img_4306

Eric and I at the wedding right after he rocked his Best Man speech, which he was very nervous about 🙂

And that’s it for December for me!

What are your podcasts, workouts, books and looks for December?

1. Lindsey says:

Love that dress! I am excited to go back to work and dress up again lol.
    I didn’t read at all in December!

I started listening to the Presidential podcast. I havent finished it yet but it has been interesting to hear so many facts about the presidents you never learn in school.

My friend sent me a book to read that a friend of hers (or friend of a friend) wrote about the time their baby was in NICU because Emery was in NICU. I didnt get very far into it because I was blubbering like a baby. So now I need to find a new book to read for Jan

3. Abigail says:

I have got to listen to that podcast “the episode Burnout”. I am on serving on a “Nurse Retention Committee” for the 3rd time in my relatively short career in nursing!!! Because it is such a problem. I’ve seen it in hospitals – clinics – and now even dealing with it in the “work from home” atmosphere. I’ve been doing so much reading about turnover, and why people quit their jobs — and it’s kind of fascinating to me.

12,000 steps with that climate is amazing!!! I notice the days I don’t run, it’s tough getting 10,000 in! And I have a beautiful climate in AZ!

Love that dress! Looking forward to your Kauai post.

I am sooooo impressed with your steps this month! Even with an active job I don’t always make it to 12,000 steps… or I should say I rarely do haha. Also I love the dress you wore to the wedding!

5. I love that dress you wore to the wedding! It’s such a classic look that won’t go out of style. I’m also impressed that you got your 12k steps in 29/31 days! I should set a goal like that for myself. It’s cold here, too, but we have a nice skyway system so I should make an effort to go for long walks during the day when I am in the office. I also did not really love Miss Peregrine’s. We read it for book club and some really liked it. I liked the first half and then felt like it really dragged.

You already saw my post so know what my favorite podcast, book, workouts and looks are! December was pretty crazy busy but I feel good about starting the Core De Force program. I’m really enjoying the workouts and it’s so nice to not have to leave the house to do them!! 🙂

12,000 steps seems CRAZY to me, haha. I got a FitBit for Christmas and my goal is 5,000 steps, which sometimes feels like a feat. I am… more sedentary than I ever imagined. Hopefully by the end of the year I can be at 10,000 steps!

I love that dress and I’m so glad you were able to find it in your size. It’s gorgeous on you!

7. You still had quite an exciting month! Very cool. Cheers to a great 2017!

8. Travel Spot says:

I love Planet Money but have not listened to that episode yet. One of my favorites was during the financial crisis when they explained the Too Big to Fail situation in an episode called (I think) a Big Pool of Money. It was very informative and they lay it all out in a way that anyone can understand.

Cute dress! What a great mom to go through all of that to get it to you. I was just telling someone the other day about how she rubbed peppermint on us to keep us calm during Squamish! Say hi to her for me!

9. Lori says:

I LOVE that red lace dress, GORGEOUS!!!!

10. That dress looks GREAT on you!! You two are such a cute couple 🙂

That is a lot of steps each day – well done!

11. I have that same dress and I love it also! I got it thrifted (although it was original to Target) and am a little nervous I’ll never fit back into that sucker. Ha!

I just saw your other posts and am so now thinking that I need to try homemade kombucha….you may have sold me!

Also your Hawaii trip….so dreamy. Hawaii is on my 3-5-10 year plan—here’s hoping and your “itinerary” sounded incredible!

12. […] my 30 day yoga challenges, my mile a day running challenges and last December I attempted to walk 12,000 steps every day (not in an easy feat in our super cold winter […]