Big changes ahead

So any of you who are friends with me on Facebook or follow me on Instagram will have seen the big announcement I made on Wednesday evening. After eight amazing and wonderful years in Kamloops, Eric and I have decided to relocate back to our hometown of Fort St. John to pursue new and exciting career opportunities.

IMG 1904

This is part of the reason I have been mostly absent on the blog the last few weeks. A lot has been going on! To be honest, leaving my current position (that I love so so so much) and making the decision to leave a city and community that I feel so embedded in and also love so much, was really hard. Consciously making the decision to walk away from all of that was the hardest decision I’ve made in my adult life. I’ve found a lot of solace in reminding myself that I can always come back later and nothing in life is permanent…

Anyways, as difficult as the decision was to leave as soon as it was done it definitely felt very right. For many, many reasons that I won’t get into on this blog post it is just so the right time for us to shake up our life. A lot of crap has happened to us over the last year. In fact, if one year ago today you had told me that in a year I would be gearing up to move back to Fort St. John I would laugh at you and tell you no way! But life has such a funny way of changing a person and changing a persons perspective.

IMG 1867

Anyways, here’s to the next adventure! I am excited to try something new career wise and living and lifestyle wise. And while some people have looked at me like I’m completely crazy for leaving amazing southern BC for the cold and frigid north, I’m excited to explore Northern BC and discover some of the truly beautiful areas that I know are up there. And I will also do my very best to embrace the six-ish (yes 6!) months of winter.

More details on the move and etc. coming soon 🙂

Happy Friday!

I can totally see why you feel you need to shake things up right now, and I think it will be good for you both! If anyone can embrace 6 months of winter, it’s you 🙂 (and definitely not me, ha ha)
    So excited for you guys!

2. I am glad that this big announcement is blog and facebook official now! I think it is a great sign that you felt such a sense of peace after making the decision. Keep coming back to that feeling of peace when you find yourself questioning your decision. And like you said – you can always come back!

I’m proud of you for doing some major soul searching and coming to a decision that will be great for your career and your family. I know how hard big moves are so I am always here for you when you need to talk about it or cry or scream or whatever! I’ll be supporting you every step of the way. You are going into this with the best perspective and that is really what is going to make this move VASTLY different than my move to Charlotte as I went into that move expecting to hate it and knowing that I would move back as soon as possible. Your different perspective is going to make a world of difference!!

So happy for you guys and your new adventure! Now, this business about six months of winter…….

So exciting! I can’t wait to hear more!

Very excited for you and Eric. I have no doubt that this will provide you both with the shake up, “fresh,” start and etc. that you need right now. Can’t wait to hear more about all that is ahead for you. Sending you lots of love during the come weeks/months. <3

6. Britt says:

I’m so very excited for you! People thought we were insane for leaving Vancouver to move to Calgary, but it was absolutely the best decision we’ve made. You’ve got to trust your gut. So proud of you for making a huge leap! Big hugs!

I’m sure this will be the best decision for you and your family! I applaud you for leaving all the comfort and great things about Kamloops to explore a new (old) life!

8. Marie-Christine says:

I always comment on your Instagram landscapes pictures saying it’s beautiful and that you are so lucky its already Spring! How ironic! 😉

I did a similar move in 2011, from Québec city to my hometown, in North-East Québec! (about 900 km away)The weather in Fort St. John and in my city are really similar, we get 6 months of winter too!
    Can’t wait for more details!
    How’s the housing market in Kamloops right now? Have you already sold your townhouse?

I have no idea what the past year has entailed for you guys but I’m excited for you – sometimes a fresh start is just the thing you need 🙂

10. Travel Spot says:

What a big decision! I think things come along in life that do “shake it up” as you say, and sometimes they can be just what we need. I know you are more adventurous than me, but personally, change is always a difficult thing to decide on. However, usually once I embrace the change and put my new heart into it, I end up happier. Sometimes it takes a few difficult decisions and actions first though! I am sure you guys are going to love your “new” hometown and it will be great to be close to some of your old friends and families!

11. nicole says:

I wish you luck. I hope the move was your decision. I moved years ago for my husband to a small cold town. It was the worst thing I have ever done. My poor kids had to grow up in a town with no culture full of red necks and they missed out on all the opportunities they had in our old city. We can never afford to move back to our old city. But you are lucky you do not have kids and as long as you can get a good job. Maybe your new town is different. Good luck

12. Jenny says:

We left our city to move in with my parents in a small village for a year before we made the big move to the other side of the world. I grew up in the village but I had never lived there as an adult and it was an adventure to rediscover the place. My husband and I are creatures of habit so a lot of our routine was the same but it was fun finding new places like a favourite supermarket, favourite takeout, running routes, fitness classes etc. And I got to spend a lot of time with family playing video games, watching movies and just hanging out. I’m really glad to have had that time since I live so far away now I haven’t seen them in over 5 years.

All the best for your new adventure and I’m excited to read more!

13. Yay!! That’s so exciting about your move!!! Looking forward to hearing more about it 🙂

14. Definitely a big transition but hope that everything easily falls into place! Looking forward to following along as you re-immerse in the community and explore the area. Sometimes “going home” can be so rewarding in ways we never expected. Sending you a big hug!

15. Bronwyn says:

I think I saw this on your facebook. But wow! That is so exciting. New beginnings are scary, amazing, challenging and fantastic all at once. 🙂 I’m excited to hear more about your move and new job and everything.

16. Raquelita says:

This is definitely some major news! Good luck as you prepare for the move! Congratulations on the career opportunities!

17. Abby says:

How exciting for you and your husband!!! I know where-ever you two are planted, you will bloom! Congratulations! Ryan and I have had lots of big changes in our lives lately, as well! So I can relate to the utter chaos!! 😉

18. Can’t wait to see where this adventure takes you! <3

19. San says:

So excited for you!

20. Amos says:

Ahh Amber, it’s a bit wild / crazy / scary to make the move back to the north. I grew up in NWBC & my goal in life as a teen was to get the heck out of there & I couldn’t imagine why anyone would want to live there. Well, people change, circumstances change, and I moved back a couple years ago. It has been such a positive thing. It’s fun to explore the known areas, but there are so many new things & places we have discovered when we thought we’d seen & done most of the tick-off-the-list items. Also, it’s tricky when you’re in a smaller area and you’ve got so much family around but it is also such a great support network, especially if you decide to start a family. And you’re right about the commute being much faster, giving more time for yourself that way. These areas seem to be attracting a lot of new faces too, which can be another positive change, especially when they too are motivated to make the most out of their surroundings. All the best to you guys – you really do seem to have a great outlook on things and that goes so SO far in life. Cheers.

21. […] this news was. We decided to take a few months to process. Only a month after this appointment an amazing career opportunity was presented to me and we decided to make a big move. The fertility stuff was placed on the back burner for […]

22. […] year that included Eric being laid off from his job twice and our infertility diagnosis we made the huge, huge, HUGE decision to rent out our house, for me to quit my job and for us to move back t…. Still to this day the hardest decision we’ve ever made. And while I will never regret this […]