February Workouts!

So in February I decided to track all my workouts for the month and do a quick recap on them. I had heard a few people mention in their monthly recaps how many workouts they did that month but since I don’t track my workouts anywhere I’ve never known the number. Plus I run A LOT less than I ever used to so I thought I would track my workouts so when I do my monthly recaps and my mileage is super low I can at least say how many workouts I did.

I have a couple disclaimers to this post.

First, I know I workout a lot and do lots of double days but I truly love fitness and moving my body and I love so many different activities that I find it difficult to fit them all in so that often means doubling up. Definitely not saying that everyone has to, or even should, do this. If working out is something you hate and you only do it because it’s good for you then you’re better off just getting in your 30 – 60 minute workout every day and leaving it at that. I personally LOVE how I feel after a good sweat session and because I run with friends and go to the gym with coworkers at lunch it’s also a social thing for me.

Second, I only take rest days when my body needs them or I feel like I need a day off. I don’t schedule them into my week or make sure I take a full day off every seven days. I go completely by how I feel and also what is going on life-wise.

Finally, I also walk the dog on a daily basis so even on my rest days I would have gotten in a 20 – 40 minute walk with Chloe. I usually don’t count walks with Chloe unless we go for a longer hike because they are usually at a pretty leisurely pace. I’m not saying walking isn’t exercise, it totally is, I just don’t count it as a daily workout for myself.

Ok, so here are my February workouts. In 28 days I managed to get in 36 workouts! I am only counting workouts that are 20 minutes+ as I did a few 10-minute ab workouts in the evening some days.

Here’s what my month looked like:

IMG 5819

Sunday, February 1 – 1 hour hot flow yoga class (lunch) + strength/treadmill workout (pm)

Monday, February 2 – 1 hour spin/TRX workout + 75-minute yin yoga class (pm)

Tuesday, February 3 – 90-minute hot slow flow yoga class (pm)

Wednesday, February 4 – 3.1 mile / 5km run (am) + 1-hour Group RX* class (lunch)

Thursday, February 5 – 45 minute core conditioning* class (lunch)

Friday, February 6 – 3.1 mile / 5km run (am) + 21 day fix full body cardio (pm)

Saturday, February 7 – 75-minute hot flow yoga class (am)

Sunday, February 8 – 12.5 miles / 20km run (am) + 2-hour journey through the 7 chakras yoga workshop (pm)

Monday, February 9 – Rest Day!

Tuesday, February 10 – 3.1 mile / 5km run (am) + 21 day fix upper fix (pm)

IMG 5535

Wednesday, February 11 – 1 hour Group RX class (lunch)

Thursday, February 12 – 45 minute core conditioning class (lunch)

Friday, February 13 – 3.1 mile / 5km run (am) + 21 day fix lower fix (pm)

Saturday, February 14 – 6.2 mile / 10km run (am) + 1 hour hot hatha yoga class (pm)

Sunday, February 15 – 1 hour hot yoga flow class

Monday, February 16 – 1 hour Group RX class (lunch)

Tuesday, February 17 – 4 mile / 6.4km trail run (am) + 45 minute tabata class at the gym (pm)

Wednesday, February 18 – 75-minute hot hatha yoga class (pm)

Thursday, February 19 – 45 minute core conditioning class (lunch)

Friday, February 20 – 2.25 mile / 3.6km run (am) + 21 day fix Dirty 30 (pm)

Saturday, February 21 – 75-minute hot flow yoga class (am) + 3 mile / 5km hike (pm)

IMG 5751

Sunday, February 22 – Half marathon!

Monday, February 23 – 75-minute yin to meditation class (pm) (I would consider this rest, it was a super mellow class)

Tuesday, February 24 – Rest Day!

Wednesday, February 25 – 3.1 mile / 5km run (am) + 1 hour Group RX class (lunch)

Thursday, February 26 – 45 minute core conditioning class (lunch)

Friday, February 27 – 3.8Β mile / 6km run (am)

Saturday, February 28 – Rest Day!

Total:Β 10 yoga classes, Β 11 runs, 15 strength workouts!

*Group RX is basically bodypump – an hour long full body workout using a barbell and weights

*Core Conditioning is really more a HIIT class as it includes weights, core and high intensity moves like burpees and mountain climbers and is different each week

***

Honestly, I’m feeling pretty awesome these days. I feel more fit than I have in a long long time and I’m really happy how my body is feeling, looking and performing so I’m going to keep it up. I sought after a balance between yoga, running and strength training for many years and I think I may have finally found it!

Hopefully this post wasn’t too boring for anyone. I really enjoy looking back on my weekly workout posts from years ago so that’s why I post about workouts every so often.

Do you keep track of your workouts? If so how many did you do in February?Β

1. Wow! That is a lot of workouts! I am amazed! You fit so much into each week which impresses me. I know you love it but it’s still impressive to fit that many workouts in! I rarely do doubles because it’s just so hard for me to get up before work since it requires getting up at 4:45… I will maybe do one double when summer hits as I can wear my hair curly which means i can get up at 5 as not doing my hair saves me 15 minutes!

February was a so so work for me for workouts. I worked out fewer days than I normally would since we had our vacation to Santa Barbara and then I got sick at the end of the month. I do keep track of my workouts on my calendar, though, and I think I did 19 in February which is pretty low for me, but oh well!

2. Travel Spot says:

You did a great job this month! I think it’s good to track your workouts, as they are just as important as runs/miles! You really have a very good mix and I think all of the workouts are very complimentary to your running (and vice versa).

I do keep track of my workouts on Garmin connect. I had 6 workouts and 21 running events, so about 27 total. I was going to start using my bike a couple times a week to commute to work, but I have been sick for the past two weeks and that went right out the window! I will have to attempt it in March.

3. Jenny says:

i do keep track of my workouts – I found since I switched to a paper day planner this has gotten easier compared to logging them in the computer every day.

February was a bit of an off month for me exercise wise but I’m looking forward to March and upping the training intensity now that I’ve registered for my first race of the year in April.

4. Mariana says:

Hello Amber!

I’ve been following your blog for a while now, but I don’t think I’ve commented before. It’s time to correct that! πŸ™‚
    Loved this post idea. Also, you’re a rock star, great workouts!
    I really enjoy fitness, but I’m struggling to incorporate strength training on a regular basis on my schedule. I get bored of doing it by myself and my boyfriend and most of my friends are not that into working out. I’ve been doing yoga, zumba and walks/runs (I’m just starting to run… need to take it slow or it triggers my asthma).

I try to keep track of my workouts, but I tend to fail on doing it πŸ˜› I’ll try to be more mindful about it this month.

5. Kim says:

With all the different types of exercise you’re doing have you noticed a difference in your running? In terms of aches and pains or recovery time, etc. The reason I ask is that I used to play a lot of soccer as well as run. Now that I’m just running I find that I often get pain in my hips or knees during longer runs or if I have a high mileage week. I try and do weight training on my own, which I find helps, but I find it boring so I’m not motivated to keep it up.

6. Lindsey says:

That is an impressive list! I do track my workouts too. I think I logged 21 in Feb, not too bad!

I keep track of my workouts, too! I love doing it. In terms of number of days I worked out, it wound up being 24 in February. In terms of number of workouts, we are looking at a total of 28-30 since I double up some days as well. I’m doing a lot of circuits that combine cardio & strength, and then I also have several days devoted only to cardio intervals and circuits. It’s working for me and the differences feel great πŸ™‚

8. Alison says:

Good for you!! What a month! I love tracking my workouts, keeps me accountable!

9. I do track my workouts in a spreadsheet and love it. Total data nerd. I usually get in 8-12 swims, 0-3 bikes, 12-20 runs every month, plus another 10ish times hitting the weights and 10 – 30 yoga sessions.

10. LG says:

Yay – being active is fun! Especially for me…some days I sit a lot during the day.

I don’t formally track my workouts, but I’m pretty consistent with Monday/Wednesday/Friday strength training after work, and Tuesday and Saturday as short HIIT sessions on a stairclimber or spin class. The other days I like to go for walks or do yoga, and some lunch hours I go for walks outside or inside the walkway system downtown while I listen to podcasts. :0)

11. Britt says:

Holy moses, girl! You’re a machine! I’m not sure how you’ve got the energy for all that, but I salute you! It’s great to feel strong and fit πŸ™‚

Nice job on your workouts! Before I was pregnant, I tracked all of my workouts because I’m anal like that πŸ™‚ I just got cleared to work out again today, so once I get back into it I will definitely keep track again!

13. It looks like a great variety of workouts, which is much like my routine. I guess I just feel much stronger overall than if I’m only running. Plus, running at this point isn’t all that fun or easy. πŸ˜‰ Even though everything is shorter and modified, I still track all my workouts in dailymile.

14. Emilie says:

I have been keeping track of all my workouts in my planner but I’m going to start counting them kind of like you did here. The one thing I want to improve is strength – right now I average probably 3 strength workouts a week but I’d love to be at 4 + 1 yoga practice. I’m hoping as it warms up I’ll have an easier time getting out of bed in the morning – I love early AM workouts but when it’s freezing cold I do not want to get out of the warmth! Nice job this month! I love how many classes you take. And I love that you make working out a social thing. None of my friends run (besides Pete) and while I usually head to the gym with him or my sister, it’s not really social since there’s only equipment and no classes. I miss taking Pilates with one of my friends but she moved to Boston when she got married. I need more active friends, ha!

15. I know I did 12 runs… I am trying to remember back but I also think I did 3 videos from youtube and at the beginning of the month I was doing daily squats.

16. Girl, you are an inspiration! I only wish I had as much time as you do to workout/be active!

17. […] it’s not obvious from my post the other day, working out is a huge hobby of mine! I love moving my body and getting a good sweat on. And I LOVE […]

18. […] for two months now and they’ve progressively gone downhill in the last two months. In February I pulled double days almost every day. In March I was sick twice so that really messed out with my […]

19. […] definitely looking a lot different than they used to. For example, look how much I worked out in February 2015!! I definitely do not workout that much these days but I have been feeling pretty good about how […]