10 Questions!

I’m constantly looking for new podcasts to listen to because I blast through them when I listen to them on my commuting, dog walks, cooking dinner, doing chores etc. Recently I stumbled upon Tsh Oxenreider and her podcast The Art of Simple. I have really been enjoying it! I’ve even been listening to old 2014 ones I’m enjoying it so much.

I’ve noticed she hasn’t been doing this recently but on her older podcasts Tsh used to ask her guest to answer ten questions at the end of each podcast and it was one of my favourite parts of each episode. The questions are unique and interesting so I thought I’d answer them on my blog for a fun Friday post!

1. Twitter or Facebook?

Instagram? Ha! If you’d asked me this two years ago I would have said Twitter hands down but I’ve really gravitated away from Twitter in the last year or so and now I use Facebook way more and tend to use Twitter more for professional stuff. I just find Twitter has a little too much noise for me these days.

2. Morning person or night owl?

Start of a sunrise  feb 17 2015

Definitely a morning person. Getting out of bed is never ever fun but I would way rather workout in the morning and I’m much more productive in the mornings. Also once I’m up I just generally really enjoy mornings. Sunrises > sunsets any day!

3. How do you drink coffee?

I’ve been drinking it with exactly 1 tablespoon of half-and-half cream for the longest time but lately I’ve cut myself back to 1/2 tbsp of half-and-half while following the 21 Day Fix plan and I’m also even drinking it black from time to time, especially if it’s really yummy coffee.

4. It’s 9pm and you’ve got the house to yourself, what do you do?

Probably puttering around tidying up before bed. I am a huge putterer in the evenings. If all my puttering is done I’m likely reading a book or watching whatever my latest Netflix obsession is. Right now it’s Friday Night Lights!

5. What’s on your nightstand right now?

A journal I haven’t wrote in since our trip to Ireland & Scotland. A happy face mug with lip chap, bobby pins, cuticle cream and some other miscellaneous things in it, my kobo and a book!

6. What smell do you love?

I love smells like vanilla and hazelnut!

7. What smell do you hate?

An obvious one that I’m sure we all hate is BO, man do I ever smell this smell a lot going to hot yoga and to group fitness classes at the gym. Not fun. A not so obvious one is super citrusy smells are not my favourite.

8. Other than your current home, where would you most like to live?

I would really love a home on a body of water. I’m not overly picky about what kind of body of water but of course the ocean would be amazing. I would also love pretty much any home with more outdoor space. Four years in a townhouse complex is making us really crave some extra space.

But really, the thing I want most one day is a home with big deck and beautiful view where I can watch the sunrise while drinking coffee in the morning!

9. If you could eat only one nationality of food for the rest of your life, which one would it be?

Wow this is such a hard question! I’m going to have to go with Mexican but Japanese would be a very close second.

10. When you were six years old, what did you want to be when you grew up?

I can’t remember which one I wanted to be first but I wanted to be a Veterinarian (I loved animals) for a long time and then a Marine Biologist (I loved the ocean and dolphins!) for a long time. I finally settled on the dream career of a journalist around 10-years-old and then eight years later went to Journalism school! I don’t work in the field (and never have other than doing freelance writing) but I do work in communications.

Your turn! Morning person or night owl? What smells do you love and hate? When you were six years old what did you want to be when you grew up?

1. Ah, these are fun answers. Guys’ BO is the WORST!! And I just can’t understand how they can’t smell themselves! I would love to live on a body of water as well where I could look out the windows and see the sun rising on the water and have a nice deck to drink coffee/tea/wine on. Sounds like heaven.

I am definitely a morning person, but can be a night owl as well. But I cherish the mornings so much more than the night. I LOVE the smell of a good coffee shop and when I leave the way it makes my clothes smell. 🙂 When I was six, I didn’t know what I wanted to be, but I was sure I was going to be a high powered business woman in a skirt suit and heels! HA!

2. Emilie says:

I love these types of posts! So fun to learn little tidbits about people. I think guys smell in general, on top of regular BO. One of my dreams is to also live on a body of water (but I also never want to leave my hometown, so this will have to be a second home..ha). I like mornings much more than nights, but like you, I struggle to get out of bed especially this time of year when it’s frigid and dark. My favorite smells are vanilla, coffee and the ocean. I always wanted to be a teacher, went to school and got my degree in History but never went on to get my teaching certification. Where I live you also need a Master’s degree within 5 years and the job market is so tough that you really need one before you start teaching. Maybe in my next life 🙂 Happy weekend!

3. This is a fun list of questions! I’m with you on twitter. I’m actually probably going to deactivate my account because I just don’t use it and like you said, it just seems like ‘noise’ to me. I’m most likely to post something on instragram but I also still use Facebook quite a bit (although I post pretty infrequently on there).

I am definitely a morning person but I did not use to be when I was in my early 20s! I love the smell of my mom’s kitchen on Thanksgiving morning, fresh brewed coffee, fresh laundry, and the french cade lavender candles I get from Anthropologie. I hate the smell of BO (like you), the smell of fish when someone else is eating it, the smell of peanut butter when someone else is eating it (weird, I know), and the smell of the Chinese food that my coworker gets once a week which honestly smells so strong/bad, I have to discretely plug my nose. Clearly I struggle with ‘second hand smells’. 😉 When I was 6 years old, I think I wanted to be a doctor or a lawyer.

This is fun! I also hate citrus smells! Definitely a morning person, and I love the sound of a big deck to watch the sunrise. That sounds so relaxing. I’m not sure what I wanted to be when I was six.. the first thing I can remember wanting to be is a hockey coach. I wanted to move to Colorado and coach college hockey with my husband hahah. I really think I was onto something…

5. Travel Spot says:

You are the same as me — when I was little I also wanted to be a Vet or a Marine Biologist! Of course, I also wanted 10 kids and I hated tomatoes. My, times have changed!

I am definitely a morning person. I was laughing at the question about what would you be doing at 9 pm… I would likely be sleeping! I get up at 4 every morning to go to work, and on weekends I generally go running in the early morning, so sleeping in to me is about 6 or 7 am.

I really hate the smell of too much perfume. If it’s just a little bit, its fine, but some people really go overboard and it gives me a headache and makes me feel kind of nauseous. I love the smell of Jasmine, fresh laundry, a clean soaped up man and chicken soup.

How fun! And hahahaha to the BO smell!

I am definitely a morning person which is funny because Ben is most definitely a night owl – we’ll see what Lemon turns out to be! I actually LOVE citrus-y smells and don’t like anything too flowery. (Vanilla’s okay but lavender and floraly scents are gross to me).

Um, when I was six I probably wanted to be Ariel from The Little Mermaid. My logic made sense – I already had red hair and liked to sing, and she became a human in the end, so I figured as long as I found a prince named Eric I was set! (Sorry Ben!)

7. Alli says:

Fun post.

1. Why is mid-day person never an option? I’m definitely more of a morning person that a night owl, but I really hit my stride between 10am and 1pm.

2. Love: Laundry, fresh basil, my mom’s chicken soup. Hate: Patchouli and most other types of incense.

3. When I was 6 I probably wanted to be an artist, but it turns out that you need some sort of actual artistic ability to be an artist.

8. Bronwyn says:

Morning person. I love vanilla and that sort of range. I hate the smell of bad cologne, like Axe. When I was six I wanted to be an artist.

I used to be more of a night owl, but I’m also definitely not a morning person! Don’t even talk to me first thing in the morning, haha. I am super sensitive to smells, so I hate obnoxious perfume or cologne. I agree with the BO- so gross! So is smelly breath. That makes me gag too.

I love The Art of Simple podcast! Tsh is a really great host, and I love the discussions she has with her guests.

I am definitely way more a morning person than a night owl. A smell I love is fresh-baked cookies and a smell I hate is cinnamon. And, like you, when I was six years old, I wanted to be a veterinarian! But one semester in Anatomy & Physiology let me know a science degree was not in the cards for me – haha!

11. Lindsey says:

I really like these posts, makes me feel like I get to know you better 🙂
    I am a morning person through and through!
    I love anything fall scented or the smell of fresh grass.
    I think at 6 I wanted to be a Marine Biologist, maybe Free Willy inspired that 😉
    PS Your Friday night sounds exactly like that i would do at home!

12. suki says:

Night person here! I love the smell of clean laundry, and definitely dislike BO smell. HAHAH. So unpleasant. When I was six, I think I wanted to bcome a teacher.

I’m most definitely a “mid-morning” person! I’m most productive during 9am and noon, haha.
    I love the smell of anything baking in the oven. Cookies, pies, you name it! I can’t stand the smell of citrus Lysol wipes (the ones in the yellow container), but of course, during my first trimester of pregnancy I couldn’t stand the smell of most things, lol.
    When I was 6 I either wanted to be a dentist or a veterinarian.
    Also – I could totally either eat Italian or Japanese food for the rest of my life. Pasta AND rice? Yes please!

14. Karina says:

I remember reading on a previous post about jobs and finding the one you love. I also work in the non-profit and plan events. How do you manage to make connections for consultant work? I’m really trying to find ways to make more connections and still maintain confidentiality from work. I’d love some advice?

15. San says:

That was a fun set of questions! I might have to steal those…
    but to answer the ones that you posted at the end:
    We’re pretty similar… I love vanilla and hazelnut smells, I am definitely more a morning person than a night owl and (scary!) I wanted to become a vet and journalist too before deciding on becoming a geologist 🙂

Happy weekend, Amber!

I used to be a night owl but since my kids are morning people, I’m becoming a morning person as well. Someone has to make them breakfast! I love fruity smells – citrus, strawberry, etc. – but hate coconut and lavender. They make my stomach turn! When I was six I wanted to be a writer and a farmer’s wife – my parents told me girls couldn’t be farmers, so I decided I was just going to marry a farmer instead. One out of two isn’t too bad 😀 Hope you’re having a great weekend!

17. Sherry Sim says:

Our house just went on the market today…lots of space and a beautiful view for drinking coffee…just kidding, sort of lol. Congratulations on your half and you and Sam pulling each other through. Love that!

18. I am not really either a morning person or night owl anymore … haha, but I used to be a night owl. I love the smell of onions frying in butter, and the bakery … I hate the smell of blue cheese. When I was six years old I wanted to be a teacher.

19. I always thought I was a morning person until I lived with a MORNING PERSON. hahaha.

20. […] last week, I told you my brain is fried; there’s no room to process much of anything. When Amber posted these questions on her blog, it caught my attention. Someone asks me questions and I […]

21. Shoshanah says:

I feel the same way about twitter. I used to check it all the time but lately I’ll go a few days without looking st it. Of course it doesn’t help that my twitter app doesn’t always want to load either. I’d definitely list instagram as my favorite. Even if I don’t post on it that often, I love logging on and looking at everyone’s photos.

22. Ten things | says:

[…] think Amber started this list of ten thing and then some other blog friends have picked it up as a post idea. […]