Planning a winter getaway

It’s really feeling like fall around here. I’m super sad about it because I’ve had such an amazing summer with so many fun weekends and little getaways. I am anxiously counting down the days until our San Francisco girls running weekend at the end of September (31 sleeps away!) and after that we have no other travel plans on the horizon (but we have been doing some brainstorming for the spring!)

Anyways, I was doing some random browsing of the internet the other day and was reminded how fun winter vacations can be too! We have done a few of those and I always enjoy them. And I don’t mean jetting off to a beach in the winter, I mean actually enjoying a snowy vacation! Winter vacations can be just as exciting and fun as summer ones. We also happen to be very lucky and live only a 45-minute drive from Sun Peaks, which was #2 on the list of Canada’s 10 best ski destinations. Eric and I spent our dating anniversary weekend up there a few years ago.

IMG 0190

Sorry to bum you all out with a snowy white picture on August 26! I’m just trying to remind myself that even though my least favourite season (winter) is beckoning, I know that there are still lots of fun things we can do. I am actually thinking another Sun Peaks weekend is in order and this time I will book us a self catering accommodation so we can make some of our own meals. Even if you don’t ski or snowboard, I think there’s something romantic about bunking up in a cottage or cabin in the winter and sipping on a glass of wine while the snow falls outside. Even better if there is a hot tub available!

And now I will stop talking about winter and will go back into summer mode as we have a good 2 – 3 months left before the snow hits (hopefully) and Eric and I have our very last camping weekend coming up in two weeks. I’m super pleased with how many times we managed to get out camping this summer!

Where did you go for your last winter getaway?

I have to admit, I hate winter and snow and can’t remember if I’ve ever paid to go on a winter getaway (unless it was to somewhere warm ha ha). I used to ski and snowboard but even that I’m just like eh about now ha ha. SUCH a debbie downer over here. We are going to Savannah in February, which will probably be not WARM but warmer than Boston so I’m excited to do that!

2. I can not think of the last time I took a trip during the winter to a wintery destination, actually. If I travel, it’s usually to escape the cold. It’s so bitterly cold here in the winter that it is tough to get outside and do things. I have had friends ask if I want to go on a skiing vacation with them but I usually say no because I am terrible at skiing so it’s not worth the expense to me. I mean, I could hang around the lodge but I’d rather save my vacation money for a destination where I can get out and do things. One winter activity that I enjoy, though, is cross country skiing so I am hoping to do some of that this winter on reasonably cold days (i.e. not below zero!).

I don’t have any trips planned after our San Fran trip. I’ll most likely go to a wedding with Phil in Jamaica but it will be a very quick trip for me due to my limited vacation time… beyond that I have no plans but I am hoping to visit Abby in Tucson next February around our birthdays!

3. erin says:

once we learned how to snowboard this past winter, i think we’ll enjoy winter much more! i know he wants to travel to places to do some snowboarding. I’m uncertain.

we’re going to the bahamas — grudgingly for this labor day weekend. then have a trip to dallas. Having to go to dallas twice this year really kind of crimped our original plans to go to greece! next year!

4. Ris says:

I cannot even think about winter right now. I am enjoying summer while it’s still here because I, like you, do not love winter!

We usually go to Banff or Jasper in late fall. The roads are so unpredictable in the winter that we don’t usually plan getaways – they always seem to have to be rescheduled anyway!

I don’t think I’ve ever been on a winter getaway before, other than to actually get away from winter! We went to Vegas last November, but before that, I think my last trip during the winter was in grade 9! We’re not skiers, so going away during the winter isn’t a huge desire for us :P

I don’t think I’ve done a winter destination myself, either. Fall? Yes, but not winter. We may be going away this winter over the Christmas season to get away, but I’m pretty sure it will be some place away from the cold and snow =) Likely on the West Coast so it’s easier for my brother to get to us, too.

I’ve never tried to ski or snowboard- I guess maybe someday I can do that =)

8. Erin S. says:

My winter getaways usually involve Hawaii, Mexico or California!

That said, even though I (mostly) hate winter, I do live at the base of the Rocky Mountains and my husband and I do sometimes do a weekend getaway to Banff or Lake Louise or similar and my family sometimes spends the Christmas holidays at a condo rental in Canmore. This year my family from Ontario will be out here in Banff for Christmas and I’m excited for the snowboarding here to blow their minds!

9. Erin says:

Dare I say it??? Your post actually made me nostalgic for winter! I agree with you–I love snuggling up by a fire with a bottle of wine. I think you’ve inspired me to plan a winter getaway! We’ve talked about going away with a couple families for a few years but we have never been able to follow through with plans. Maybe this year will be the lucky year!!!!! I used to be an avid skier but haven’t gone in years. I think I’m now at the stage where I’ll just lounge around the fire and keep refilling my wine glass :)

I think I’ve only ever done one winter getaway in my life, and I was in 6th grade! We went on a skiing vacation and while it was fun, I think I much prefer tropical vacations. They are SO much more relaxing for me. But, living in Florida, I should get out and experience some ACTUAL winter climates and go on vacation somewhere new and different. I loved my skiing vacation so, so much and keep wanting to go again.

11. Our last winter getaway was skiing and hanging out in Denver. This winter we are planning a trip to Mexico :-)

12. You are kicked off the internet island! The only kind of vacation I plan in winter is to a beach! Or a nearby town that has a lot of wineries/breweries!

13. Melissa says:

I swear the two of you make every trip you take sound so great! It sounds so romantic :) I’m not a skiier (or a winter person of any sort) but a cottage weekend in the middle of the winter by a fire sounds sooooo nice. I don’t think I’ve ever done a winter getaway (because I’m always in school) but this sounds like something to add to my list!

14. Shoshanah says:

I love winter vacations, but unfortunately I can’t remember the last time I was able to take one. Although It doesn’t help that the boy isn’t a fan of the snow, but someday I need to convince him to take a ski trip with me… so we’ll see when that actually happens!