Quick little coffee date

mexican food

Oh hey! Let’s just get right to this coffee date because I’ve got to make it quick!

If we were having coffee this morning I would tell you I feel like I’ve aged 10 years in the last month. Ever since my dad’s accident life has been a whirlwind of flying home, flying to Vancouver, worrying worrying worrying and worrying some more. I just feel very sad and like there is a big dark cloud following me and my family around lately. This past week has been especially stressful. (Good news is my dad’s massive 8 hour surgery went well and he is on the road to recovery. He has been at the hospital in Vancouver for the last five days but they are sending him back up north to recuperate in the hospital there ASAP, which is a good thing as he will be surrounded by family and friends up there and also be close to his family doctor.)

If we were having coffee this morning I would tell you that exercise of any kind is my saviour right now. When life gets insane, chaotic and busy my first instinct is to eat like crap and eat whatever is in front of me. But my second instinct is also to keep up with my workouts. So despite only having an hour between getting home from work and leaving again last night I fit in a 25 minute workout that included a 1-mile run and GPP workout with lots of burpees. I also forced myself out of bed for 6 am yoga this morning despite only getting six hours of sleep because I knew it would do me good. And it did.

If we were having coffee this morning I would tell you I am not feeling very excited to visit Ireland anymore. Eric and I are still going on the trip just because our plane tickets are non-refundable and we had a lot of things booked already, but the idea of going without my dad when we had this all planned out to go together seriously bums me out. I know we will go on another trip together, hopefully next year, but ya. Just having trouble getting excited about anything these days.

If we were having coffee this morning I would say, “let me tell you about something good that happened this week instead of all this downer stuff” and then tell you about the Mexican cooking class I did with my mom last night. This was my Christmas present for her and of course it ended up falling on the worst week for timing (nothing we could have predicted of course) but even though I was tired after a crazy week it ended up being the perfect way to spend an evening. It got my mind off of things and was really, really fun. Above is a picture of the amazing-from-scratch tortilla’s and salsa we made along with fish taco’s! We also learned how to make the most delicious mango coleslaw and left with a booklet full of yummy Mexican recipes. My favourite tip I learned? Bread your fish taco’s with Doritos and corn flakes. BEST tip ever!

If we were having coffee this morning I would apologize for being such a Debbie Downer on a Friday and tell you I have to run now, but hopefully next time we have coffee I will be a little more cheerful.

Happy Friday! xo

PS: Happy Birthday to my ‘little’ brother, who turns 21 today!

So glad to hear that your dad’s surgery went well. Hopefully he is on the road to recovery now. Remember to take time for yourself too through all of this :)

Happy Friday! I’m glad your dad’s surgery went well – I’m sending wishes for a speedy recovery!

I hope you have a fantastic (and relaxing!) weekend!!!

3. :-( That hurts my heart that you can’t all go together anymore.

4. NIcole says:

Happy to hear your dad is doing better. It’s stressful when someone so close to you is sick and there is so much uncertainty. I can definitely see why you aren’t excited to go to Ireland anymore. So crappy :(

The Mexican cooking class sounds like fun! What a great gift!!

I hope you have a good weekend and March is much better for you and your family.

5. San says:

It’s totally understandable that you’ve been down with your Dad at the hospital and going on a trip without him that you were planning to go on together… I just hope things from here on out will progress positively in every aspect of your life!

The Mexican cooking class definitely sounds like fun!

I think it’s completely understandable to be a “downer” right now. You’re going through a really hard time! You can’t be all smiles and giggles all the time, right? You’re on my heart a lot lately – I can only imagine how stressful this time is for you right now. All the traveling back and forth & worrying about your dad. It’s good you are still able to keep up with your workouts! I’m sure that helps with all the stress.

7. Ugh. I’m sorry things are so crazy right now! Sending hugs and thoughts of coffee your way!

You are totally not a Debbie downer! Family + health issues are so hard to deal with, no matter what. i’m so glad the surgery went well and that he’s on the road to recovery. You’ve been on my mind and my heart a lot lately. here for you!

A Mexican cooking class!? That sounds awesome. I would be all about that. Glad you had a good time and were able to enjoy it =)

9. [...] with you today is a delicious recipe! As I briefly mentioned last week me and my mom went to a Mexican cooking class and had so much fun. One of the things we learned how to make was this mango cabbage slaw and I [...]

10. Thanks for being so honest and open about what you’re going through right now, Amber. I know it has helped me and I’m sure many others, as well.

I can totally relate to having a down month. I’m sorry you’re dealing with so much heavy stuff, but it seems like you’re doing all the right things to keep yourself moving forward.

xox

11. I’m going to venture a guess and say your dad would be very upset if he knew how unexcited you are about your trip to Ireland now that he can’t join you. I’d like to think he’d tell you to have twice as much fun (some fun for you, some fun for him) and to send him lots of photos of you having said fun. Plus, the good has to balance the bad … given how crazy your life is right now, let the Universe give you this one good gift. Y’know?!

12. Don’t apologize for being a Debbie Downer… you have a lot on your plate right now. It’s only natural that you are feeling really bogged down by everything that has happened. I hope that your dad starts to make progress towards healing now that he has the surgery behind him. Worrying about a parent is so hard on a person so I can understand how you feel you’ve aged this week. But I agree with what Nilsa said – your dad would definitely want you to have a great time on your trip, so I hope you are able to. You work hard and deserve a fun trip like that. Hopefully you start to get a bit more excited as it approached. That said, I do understand why you aren’t feeling a sense of anticipation about it like you were before. :/

13. Sorry it has been such a stressful week, hopefully now things will get better.