Recent Grocery Shop!

Thank you all so much for your well wishes for my dad yesterday. As of right now he is still in ICU but is also still very stable (a lot of pain, but stable!). They are hoping to move him out of ICU tomorrow and I will be flying up for a few days next week when he gets out of the hospital. Please continue sending your happy and healthy thoughts his way and I will definitely share any more updates on the blog.

***

I really enjoyed reading Jen’s post a few weeks ago about her big grocery shopping trip and I did a big one on Monday so thought it would be fun to share.

This grocery shop will be food for me and Eric for at least a week. It was also one of those stock up trips though where I picked up some things that we won’t have to buy again for months now (like cocoa powder!)

IMG 9736

Oh I also tried this new ‘My Shopping List’ app and it worked really well. I like how you could categorize your list so that you can just look at the different categories depending what area of the store you’re in.

IMG 9749

Eric and I are on a pretty strict grocery budget of $300 per month for the two of us (I know!) and this trip cost $166. We will probably do at least one or two more trips to the grocery store in February but it will just be to replenish small things like produce or protein.

Ok, here’s what we got!

• Avocados
  • Kale
  • Sweet Potato

Frozen Stuff

IMG 9740

• Mixed vegetables for Eric
  • Frozen mango and strawberries for smoothies
  • Brussel sprouts (my favourite!)

Protein

IMG 9748

• Turkey
  • Pork
  • Tofu
  • Shrimp

(We already had tilapia and salmon or fish would have made the list too)

Canned Stuff

IMG 9742

• Tomato soup
  • Sliced beets (for salads)
  • Diced tomatoes just to have on hand – I have used these for a ton of random recipes before

Dairy

IMG 9746

Just greek yogurt this trip! We already had coffee cream, almond milk, sour cream and some assorted cheeses (havarti, gouda and marble) at home. Occasionally we will get cottage cheese but I didn’t this trip.

Miscellaneous Items

IMG 9744

IMG 9745

• Pecans
  • Almonds
  • Lemon juice
  • Lime juice
  • Siriacha sauce
  • Pam
  • Coffee
  • K-cups coffee
  • Cocoa powder
  • Salsa

This was a pretty big stock up for us. Other things that I consider essential but that we already had at home are; fish, peanut butter, coffee cream, cheese, oatmeal, rice, eggs, bread and quinoa.

What are your grocery store staples? What are your top three essentials that you ALWAYS must have? Mine are apples, coffee and coffee cream. Two things related to coffee — hmmm…

This post makes me hungry!! That’s an impressive amour of stuff for $166. Even when it was just the two of us we usually spent close to $500 each month. We spend so much more now that a farmers market is within walking distance but it’s worth it for the most part.

Our essentials are yogurt, cream for coffee and fruit of some sort.

2. Lauren says:

I always have to have almond milk, spinach and bananas or frozen blueberries. Looks like you got a great haul for $166! Our grocery budget is about the same.

3. It is always interesting to read and hear about others shopping habits. I try to spend about $200/month but it’s tough to track because I shop at Target and a local grocery store, but the grocery purchases at Target get mixed in with so many other things so I don’t really keep track of what I spend. But I usually try to stay around $50/week.

My must have items are coffee, french vanilla creamer, oatmeal, bananas, and an assortment of fruit.

4. Amy says:

I think the most surprising part of this post is that I have a friend who likes brussel sprouts – gross! Hahah. I hate how much food costs, that has been the most difficult realization since moving out. My grocery store staples are definitely milk, bran flakes, and grapes.

This was fun to read! We unfortunately spend over $300 a month on groceries… I don’t know why but grocery spending is not our strong suit. I have tried to cut it down many times but I just end up frustrated so now I just embrace it and try to save where I can :) Are you eating meat again regularly these days? I know you mentioned you had some here and there now, but I wasn’t sure. Just curious! I know meat adds to our budget a bit because Eric does not believe in a meal without meat haha.

6. Ris says:

My absolute must-haves are fruit (usually at least apples and one other kind) and yogurt. And maybe peanut butter, although we don’t run out of that very often. I’m so interested to see what other people buy!

7. Lindsey says:

Must haves are apples, bananas, spinach, tomatoes, peppers and avocados for produce. Almond milk, Greek yogurt for “dairy”, then chicken and canned beans for proteins!

8. LG says:

Wow – I buy so many of the exact same things as you!

We spend around $450 per month on groceries (well, and other stuff we buy at the grocery store like paper towels etc.) for the two of us. But I buy lunch only about once per month and the Mr. takes his lunch to work too. We go to a restaurant probably twice per month. So what we spend in groceries, I think we save in other places.

I am LOVING the new PC points card thing…last week I got $7 worth of points! I have no idea how Superstore is making money on it, but I’ll enjoy the ride while it lasts… :0)

I wish I could stock our food supply on $300/mth! We spend about double that between the “regular” grocery store and Costco, with our weekly grocery shops being about $100.

Things that always immediately go on our list are fruit, milk, yogurt, and eggs, along with whatever veggies we may need for what I plan to cook. We’re really big on stocking up on stuff, so we’ll buy 2 or 3 big cans of coffee and that would last us a while. Same with our canned veggies like tomatoes and soup. Costco is our best friend, and so much cheaper for the bulk-buying.

Wow, all that for $166? And a monthly budget of $300? I must be doing something horribly wrong, because our monthly budget is more than twice that, and we usually go over. And I don’t even count things like diapers, wipes, and dog food as groceries.

Our three essentials are yogurt, rice, and coke :) Nathan drinks coffee but I don’t so these days I consider coke essential to survival.

11. I feel like we spend SO MUCH MONEY on our grocery store trips (and we do), but buying fresh, good (sometimes organic) food is really important to me and eating a lot of food is important to Sweets and Gavin (who last night finished off most of a very large container of blueberries – that kid is going to send me to the poor house when he’s a teenager!).

Three staple items for me … you know, I’m not sure I can narrow it down. I can’t live without my water, but I drink from the tap. I don’t drink caffeinated drinks. There’s nothing I absolutely have to have. So, I think it’d just have to be the categories of fruit, vegetables and olive oil. ;)

12. Emilie says:

This was such a fun post! I love seeing what other people eat and how they shop. I spend about $85 a week which is a lot but I buy almost everything organic. I don’t eat meat and eat out maybe 2 times a month? So I save a little in those areas. My grocery shopping includes toiletries when I need them and other household items like garbage bags and paper towels, cat treats and cat litter. I do most of my shopping at Trader Joe’s but I supplement at a big chain store in my area because TJs doesn’t always have the best quality fresh food. I basically buy the same staples every week (oats, bananas, nut butters, almond milk, half and half) and then base the rest of my shopping around my meal plan for the week. I buy my cat’s food separately from wag.com – I switched them to grain-free food over the summer after my oldest started experiencing some digestion and skin issues. I feed them a combo of dry and wet food and it has made such a difference that I could never stop feeding them that – but it’s costly at $100 a month to feed all 3 cats!

I am scared for when my boyfriend moves in with me – I can’t imagine what our combined grocery expenses will be when I’m already spending $350 or so a month on just me!! This post has motivated me to see if/how I can cut back on my spending a little.

I think it’s really impressive you only spend $300 a month on groceries AND you eat so well! Maybe I need to move to Canada? ;)

I spend around $200-$250 per month grocery shopping. I try to keep my budget around $50 a week, which I usually do. My must have staples: eggs, frozen veggies, and popcorn!

14. Our must haves include coffee, coffee creamer, cheese, and diced tomatoes. We usually spend around 100 to 160 per trip and I’ve been trying to do it every other week. I had been doing it every week but I was over buying on some points. We make our monthy

15. list so it helps to buy ahead a lot and freeze meat and stuff when it is on sale.

16. Crystal says:

What are you going to do with all those apples? :) I’ve been shopping enough for two weeks lately. Seems to work but I often run out of greens.