Karma

I know I’m late to the party on this, but it was only within the last few months that I started following the Humans of New York Facebook page. I love the photos on this page and the little snippets of wisdom I stumble upon in my news feed every day. The other day I saw something that spoke to me so much I took a screen shot of it with my phone.

“Of course I know it’s absurd to talk about fairness in the universe.”

“Why is that absurd?”

“Because there’s no such thing as karma. I mean, when you’re a good person, people can sense it and they’ll reciprocate that goodness. But the universe isn’t keeping some balance by guaranteeing you a reward.

HONY

{Source}

Obviously I’m feeling just a little bit jaded lately. A lot of it is because of my dad’s accident and the complete unfairness of it all. But also because of some really bad things that have happened to close friends this year. I’m just feeling really angry and frustrated with “the universe”. I have always been a believer in karma, and I like what she said about people sensing good and reciprocating it, but when it comes to the universe I’m really starting to think we’re on our own.

Anyways, I just wanted to share this snippet. And if you’re not already following them on Facebook I highly recommend liking the Humans of New York page.

I am flying home to visit my dad tomorrow afternoon and spending the next four days up there with him. He is unfortunately still in the hospital but is finally out of ICU, so that’s really good. I likely won’t be blogging again until next week when I’m home so I hope everyone has a good rest of the week!

Do you believe in karma?

1. Amy says:

I am so glad you are hooked on HONY too. I smile at least once everyday because of it and this one really resonated with me too.

I had never thought too much about karma before, but I realized I really agreed with what this girl said. As far as being alone in the universe, I think that is where your spirituality or faith comes into play if that is something you have in your life. These are the times when it becomes truly tested and I have to say when I went through what I did with my dad, that is honestly the time when my faith was the strongest in my life.

2. NZ Muse says:

I dunno. Bad things happen to good people all the time and bad people get away with shit a lot of the time.

I mean, I absolutely think you *should* put good things out into the universe. It’s not a guarantee but it’s like, why wouldn’t you if it might help?

Basically, I kinda feel as if karma definitely applies to me, from experience, but not necessarily to everyone else and the universe at large – otherwise we wouldn’t have kids born into poverty and disease, people getting cancer etc.

3. I think the past year has taught me that karma doesn’t really exist as I have learned that bad things happen to good people and life just isn’t fair. I like to think that those who treat others poorly will get a taste of their own medicine some day, but I don’t think doing all the right things absolves you from dealing with awful things unfortunately. I don’t think it’s jaded to feel like you do, though. I just think it’s an inevitable acceptance that life is incredibly unfair at times.

I hope you have a good visit home this FSJ, or as good as a visit prompted by this reason can be. I am sure it means a lot to your dad to have you there and hopefully it will life his spirits. I am thinking of him, you and your family!

4. Travel Spot says:

I hope that by doing good you will get good in return, but I know it’s not always the case. However, I don’t let that cause me to not keep trying to do good!

Your dad is in my thoughts. I hope that you have some quality time with him while you are there and that he is doing better soon!

I’ve never even heard of Humans of New York- talk about late to the party :) I seriously do live in a bubble sometimes. I will like it now.
    I tend to believe in karma more on the other end- as in people who are not good people will eventually lose out in the end (i hope), but I agree that I have seen too many sad/horrible things happen to good people, especially lately, to fully believe that the universe will take care of good people.

I hope you have some great quality time with your dad and that maybe he is out of the hospital by the time you leave! :)

6. Ris says:

I’d like to believe in karma, but after the worst thing in the world happened to the best person I know, I’ve lost hope that just being a good person is a guarantee. Bad things happen to good people and there’s no rhyme or reason why. Which kind of sucks, but at least we don’t have to worry about it now? Anyway, have a safe trip!

Im glad to hear your dad is out of ICU. Hoping he gets to go home very soon and I know he will be so happy to have you there

I love HONY! I saw that the other day, too, and agreed. It totally hit home with me. Especially now. I still hope that the people who are awful people will get theirs, somehow, some way, but at the same time, when nothing bad ever happens to them… well, then I guess not?

Or maybe the universe puts these big, awful things in front of the good people because it knows we can handle it and we are strong? Maybe the mean people would just crumble and fall (while some of us would like that, trust me…) and the universe doesn’t want to strengthen them further since maybe they would just do more bad things with their strength?

I totally understand where you are coming from and I hate so much that you’re dealing with sadness and difficult this year, too. Here for you, friend. Travel safely. Hugs to you and your dad (and the rest of your family).

9. I also love HONY. I had just started following the Facebook page when a friend gifted me the HONY book. It’s a great coffee table book; I can pick it up even when I have just a minute and read someone’s story (or at least a very small snippet of it).

I believe the Universe only delivers to us what we can each handle. You’re clearly a very strong lady, given how much the Universe threw down on your plate the other week. I hope seeing your dad will be so very good for both of you. Hang in there. xoxo

I am so out of the loop. I have never heard of HONY. Where have I been?

I honestly do not believe in karma. Because if karma did exist, my grandma would never have had to go through chemotherapy THREE times. To me, bad things just happen to PEOPLE. They happen to all of us and sure, some people seem to get shit thrown at them more than others and some seem to live these easy, breezy lives with little worries, but it’s just part of the human experience. I truly believe that God only gives us as much as we can handle, so I guess this is where my faith comes into play.

(I really like Nora’s explanation, too. It’s an interesting thing to think about!)

But life is just very unfair, so I understand why you feel the way you do, especially at this time. I hope your time with your dad is good, even if the reason for the visit isn’t. Thinking of you!

11. Mandy says:

I love HONY so much.

I have mixed feelings about karma. I instead choose to believe in people– that they will do the right things at the right time, help when they can, do good. It still doesn’t always work out the way I think it should. One of the mysteries of the universe I suppose.

Have a safe trip home and I am continuing to send good thoughts to your dad. Love you!

I hope you have a good visit with you dad, despite the circumstances.

I believe in karma in the same sense as you- if you are a good person, other people are good back to you. In terms of the ‘universe,’ no one is keeping score and making sure the fairness is dealt out evenly. It’s tough to see anyone go through bad stuff, but especially to good people.

13. I receive asked a lot about the difference amongst the different kinds of diets, particularly the difference amongst the paleo diet plus the primal or caveman diet. There’s really a great deal of mixed info out there online. The Caveman Diet and The Paleolithic Age.
    The caveman life-style, inside Mr. Durant’s interpretation, involves eating big quantities of meat and then fasting between food to approximate the lean times that his distant ancestors faced between hunts. Vegetables plus fruit are fine, yet he avoids foods like bread which were unavailable before the innovation of agriculture. Mr. Durant believes the human body evolved for a hunter-gatherer lifestyle, and his objective is to wean himself off what he sees as numerous millenniums of bad practices.
    There are several dangers with any diet. It is usually difficult to get enough of certain vitamins and minerals whenever eating a limited variety of foods. All types of the caveman diet exclude all milk and dairy treatments. Because these foods are excellent sources of calcium it is possible that people found on the caveman diet could not receive enough calcium inside their diet. Lack of calcium could cause countless different disease plus conditions like osteoporosis plus rickets. Anyone beginning this diet could wish to consult their doctor about whether taking a vitamin or supplement may enable them reduce this risk. Also such a low starchy carbohydrate consumption might cause wellness problems including lethargy and fatigue due to low energy.
    On a Paleo diet, the dietary fat you choose is really important, however, in the event you dial inside a carb plus protein sources, the fat almost takes care of itself. Many health woes are caused by inflammation, the root of that is a lopsided ratio of monounsaturated omega-3 fatty acids to polyunsaturated omega-6 fatty acids. Paleo-friendly foods such as wild-caught salmon, avocado, grass-fed beef plus certain kinds of eggs are good sources of omega-3s. By eliminating processed junk food we will radically minimize the intake of industrial-use vegetable oils, that are loaded with omega-6 fatty acids. A Paleo-style diet equally eradicates trans fats from your life.
    Most diets could work whenever exercise is put into the mix. Along with eating more lean meats plus avoiding highly processed carb-packed foods like potato chips plus fast food, you could invest more time outdoors. Why not have some fun with the caveman concept plus go on a wild blueberry choosing excursion, pick wild leeks in the spring, go for hikes and spend time camping under the stars. It’s been proven that diets function when it includes a change in lifestyle. Maybe understanding more about the caveman will change our way of thinking.
    So I noticed the caveman diet through Andrew Hyde and Craig Silverman Andrew said he’d lost like 15-20 pounds inside a month and Craig was lookin advantageous too after starting found on the Zone diet, thus I was like what the hell, plus started on this 12-step list Then regarding a month later I went strict for 30 days. That’s whenever the changes really began. The premise behind the diet is that our bodies are genetically plus evolutionary adapted to eating the foods of the Paleolithic ancestors plus since human genetics have not changed because the time period, this is the form of eating which people are ideal suited for. Cordain wrote the popular book “The Paleo Diet” and recommends eating like the Paleolithic ancestors. The Primal Diet because a Nutritional Foundationcaveman diet cookbook