Holiday Favourites

Happy Christmas Eve Eve friends! I work a half day today and then I’m off work for 9 glorious days straight. I plan on disconnecting a lot but may pop in for a blog post or two.

Anyways, in the spirit of Christmas Week I thought I’d share my favourite holiday things – Friday Favourites style except it’s Monday 🙂

Favourite Holiday Drink

It’s a tie between Eggnog Lattes (so unhealthy but so so good) and Gingerbread Tea!

58310

And for an alcoholic beverage I am really enjoying some winter beers, specifically this one that Eric and I picked up the other night. Normally I am all about the red wine this time of year, and while I’m still enjoying wine I’m really getting into yummy craft beers lately too.

Beer 13506

Favourite Holiday Movie

The Holiday! Love this movie so much, I just did my annual viewing of it on Saturday evening. Eric really likes National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation and we’ve already watched that once this year as well.

TheHolidaySoundtrack

Favourite Holiday Treat

It’s a tie between Mama Pea’s Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Dough Balls that I make every Christmas (but would be delicious any time of year) and the Purdy’s Himalayan Pink Salt Caramels that I buy every year for gifts (OK, and for myself!)

Himalayanpinksaltcaramel z

Favourite Christmas Song

I love ‘Baby it’s cold outside’ and I really like this version by Lady Antebellum! I also still have Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer memorized and love singing that song in the shower.

Also, one of my favourite things to do this time of year is baking! I mean, I really enjoy baking and cooking year round, but there is something about the holidays that really puts me in baking mode. Yesterday afternoon I spent 2.5 hours in the kitchen making three different kinds of cookies to give to coworkers today and I thought I would share the recipes on the blog.

Screen shot 2013 12 22 at 8 38 10 PM

Cookie Recipes (pictured from top to bottom above)!

Double Dark Chocolate Merlot Cookies – original recipe can be found here. Also, I think almost any red wine would work in this recipe as I did not use merlot and they still turned out great! I also added the peppermint extract to mine because chocolate + peppermint is a no brainer to me and it is an excellent addition!

Screen shot 2013 12 22 at 8 54 45 PM

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls – original recipe can be found here. I make these year after year and they never disappoint! I should also note that I usually don’t bother using organic stuff and just use regular baking ingredients when I make these and they still always turn out awesome!

Screen shot 2013 12 22 at 8 54 58 PM

Eggnog Cookies with Eggnog Glaze – I actually took a screenshot of this recipe on Facebook many weeks ago and can’t find the original now! These are yummy though, very eggnog-y so only make them if you like eggnog!

Screen shot 2013 12 22 at 8 55 06 PM

I doubt I’ll blog again until after Christmas – so to all my blog readers who celebrate the holiday; Merry Christmas to you, I hope you enjoy time with family and friends!

Tell me, what is your favourite holiday drink, movie, treat and song?

Image Sources:

Gingerbread TeaSteamworks Blitzen / The Holiday / Purdy’s Chocolates

I love that you say Christmas Eve Eve – I say that too! 🙂

Let’s see – holiday movie – favorite modern one is Elf, classic is White Christmas. Songs – modern, All I Want for Christmas Is You, classic – Baby It’s Cold Outside, and traditional/religious – Silent Night.

What a fun Monday post – SO jealous of all your time off – sleep in for me!

2. Happy Christmas Eve Eve to you, too! I hope that your work day FLIES by today. Those caramels sound and look SO good. I love salted caramel anything! 🙂

I don’t really have a favorite holiday drink as i don’t care for eggnog or peppermint drinks, so I just continue to try to drink PSLs as long as SBUX serves them! My favorite holiday movie is also The Holiday, probably. Although I actually love Christmas Vacation – I watched that last night with my parents! My favorite holiday treat is the homemade ice cream my mom makes on Christmas eve, as well as this toffee candy she makes and peanut brittle Yum. And my favorite song is Silent Night!

3. Yum. Merlot with cookies sounds interesting. I suck at baking but perhaps I can convince the hubby to make those for me. 😉 My favorite holiday movie is Love Actually and I plan on watching it sometime over my break during naptime .

4. LG says:

Those caramels! My company has a Purdy’s group purchase plan where we get 20% off Purdy’s at Christmas and Easter; the chocolates are delivered to the office. (Not sure why more companies don’t do this…it’s mostly automated online and our employees LOVE it.) Anyway, I bought a box of those caramels for myself. I couldn’t resist! :0)

Hope you have a very Merry Christmas, Amber!!!

5. Those pink salt chocolate caramels look soooooo delicious! They remind me of a sea salt caramel cookie I made last year and a sea salt gelato we’ve enjoyed over the past few months! I don’t think I have a favorite holiday drink, because most of them are too sugary for me … favorite movies would be Elf and A Christmas Story … song, again no favorite because I like a lot of them!

Enjoy your time off – you deserve it!!

I don’t know if I have a favourite holiday drink, although I do like hot chocolate with a little peppermint schnapps in it! Takes just like a peppermint patty!

My favourite treat is Purdy’s white chocolate almond bark. It’s so pricy for a little bag, but I have to have some every Christmas. (And those salted chocolate caramels are SO good too!) And I’m so glad you posted the recipe for the eggnog cookies. After you posted the pic of them on Instagram I was intrigued by them.

Every Christmas Kyle and I watch Die Hard, Home Alone, the Santa Clause, and I watch A Muppet Family Christmas with Isla now. (My personal favourite!)

My favourite song is “Baby It’s Cold Outside” by She & Him!

Hope you have a truly amazing Christmas, Amber! All the best to you, Eric, Webster & Chloe!!

Those chocolate caramels look so yummy- I love caramel and chocolate together. I am a huge peppermint tea person this time of year, in fact I may go make some of that right after I write this comment, lol. My favorite Christmas movie is Love Actually 🙂
    I hope you have a wonderful Christmas! Are you staying at home this year?

8. Caz says:

Yay! Hope you have a great Christmas! xoxo

I made chocolate fudge cookies and salted brown sugar toffee cookies. When I go home we’ll make Smitten Kitchen’s gingerbread cake for Christmas too.

Look forward to catching up in the New Year.

Soooo jealous of your upcoming time off! That’s so awesome your company does that for you, though. Enjoy it!

I don’t really have a favorite holiday drink, but my favorite movie is a toss-up between The Santa Clause and Elf. I watch both of them every Christmas Eve! Favorite song is Silent Night and Go Tell It On The Mountain. AND… my favorite holiday treats are chocolate oranges and now double chocolate peppermint cookies. I made them for the first time last weekend, but plan on making some to give to family + for our holiday gathering on Christmas. New favorite!

10. Alli says:

Favorite holiday movies: Mr. Magoo’s Christmas Carol, Miracle on 34th Street, Scrooged, The Muppets Christmas Carol and Elf!

Eggnog cookies sound delicious as I looooove eggnog.

Have a wonderful holiday!

11. OMG.. gingerbread tea..!

Mmmm. sea salt chocolate.. *salivate*

Nothing beats holiday baking! I am sure my waistline would love if I said no, but oh well. Oh and stuffing! I love stuffing.

13. Drink – Fancy seasonal coffee drink (half sweet)
    Movie – Home Alone
    Treat – Does gravy count? Haha!
    Song – I love “The Christmas Song” and “Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas” and “Silent Night” and “Baby It’s Cold Outside”

14. Shoshanah says:

Wine in cookies?!?! The definitely needs to be something I need to try out!

15. Emilie says:

I took the two days after Christmas off and it’s been so nice to just relax without having any sort of schedule. Normally my time off is so busy with travelling or to-do lists but I’ve actually been quite lazy the last few days. I hope you are enjoying your time off as well!

I can’t decide between Miracle on 34th Street (it’s a tradition in my family to kick off the season with this movie) or The Holiday. I love, love, love Kate Winslet. Those wine cookies sound so good!

16. Melissa says:

I love The Holiday!! Totally forgot about that movie. So cheesy, but so great haha.
    Hope you had a good Christmas!

I love The Holiday! : ) Have a great break.. that sounds like such a great way to start 2014!

18. Travel Spot says:

I hope you are enjoying your days off! I really love baking as well but haven’t made any of those cookies on your list. I need to make the wine cookies, as I always have a little bit of left over wine hanging around! My cookie list includes a peppermint chocolate chip cookie, snicker-doodle and for the last couple of years, I have been making and decorating sugar cookies, which is a fun thing to do when there are kids (or childlike adults) around!

19. […] I also baked and ate A LOT of cookies this month. The recipes for the below cookies can be found in this blog post. […]