Pemberton & Whistler

So as mentioned a few times very briefly, we spent the week before Squamish 50 camping in the Pemberton area. I had the week off of work and thought it might be nice to have a bit of a summer holiday instead of just staying at home. We arrived in Pemberton on Tuesday evening before the race and spent three nights and two full days camping there.

2 IMG 7730

The first day there I knew what was on the agenda; Garibaldi Lake hike! Ever since reading about it on Solana’s blog a few months before I knew it was something I wanted to do.

I’m not going to lie, this hike was probably a tad ambitious for me three days before Squamish. While it’s not crazy steep it is 9 km of going uphill to get to the lake. And the flies were SO bad that you literally could not stop for longer than 1 or 2 minutes because they would swarm you. I think it would have been less exhausting if we could have taken it easier on the way up and stopped for breaks, snacks and water nstead of hiking pretty much continuously for three hours. Plus Eric has not been training for a 50 km race, or any race really, so he definitely found this pretty challenging and his quads cramped up on him a few times.

3 DSC 0002

But after 3 hours of going up, up, up we finally made it to Garibaldi Lake and wow. Just wow.

8 DSC 0019

12 DSC 0037

13 DSC 0041

17 DSC 0052

We only spent about 30 – 45 minutes at the top before heading back down. In hindsight I would prefer to hike in and camp because then you could enjoy the lake for longer without the fact that you have to go all the way back down hanging over you!

That night we went out for an amazing dinner at The Pony, a cute little restaurant in Pemberton. I think that anything would have tasted good to us after that hike!

18 IMG 7740

My mom was also in Pemberton with us (but had a hotel room) and thank god for that because we discovered our campsite did not have showers. I would not have been OK with not showering after that hike!

On the second day we slept in, enjoyed bailey’s and coffee at our campsite and then headed into Pemberton to have brunch with a mountain view. Can’t beat that!

20 IMG 7745

We spent a few hours laying around, reading and relaxing before jumping in the car to head to Whistler in the afternoon for Eric’s favourite part of the trip.

22 DSC 0053

23 DSC 0054 25 DSC 0061

26 DSC 0063

We did a tour of the Whistler Brewery and enjoyed four beer samples. Eric especially lucked out since my mom doesn’t drink beer so after she took a taste of each sample Eric got it. I am a new beer drinker but drank all four of my samples and even enjoyed them all. I think the Whistler Brewery Honey Lager may be my new favourite beer!

After our brewery tour we headed into Whistler Village to do a bit of shopping and go for a yummy sushi dinner.

Our last day in Pemberton fell on my mom’s birthday so I went and picked up some pastries and fruit and we enjoyed one more breakfast on the balcony of her hotel before packing up and heading to Squamish!

28 IMG 7760

It was a short but sweet trip to the area but I enjoyed our time there! I would also highly recommend staying in Pemberton for anyone who wants to visit the Whistler area but is looking for cheaper accommodation. That is the main reason we chose to stay in the Pemberton area vs. Whistler and it was a great decision as we were an easy drive from Whistler anyways. Pemberton is also a cute and charming little town!

I’m usually more of an ocean person than a mountain person but I have to say our little escape to the mountains was absolutely lovely and rejuvenating! I’m glad we took the extra time to enjoy the area before Squamish!

What do you prefer; oceans or mountains? Did you have a summer holiday or getaway this year?

1. Alison says:

I LOVE these 2 places!!! Such great and beautiful photos! Looks like such an awesome time!

2. Bronwyn says:

Oh nice. Looks like such a fun time. Such a gorgeous area too.

I am definitely an ocean person, but that lake at the end of your hike would be enough to convince me to stay in the mountains for a few days. I guess I’m just a water person! Though I don’t camp, especially with no showers 🙂 So I’d be in your mom’s hotel haha.
    I definitely need to come back to BC- so many more beautiful places to see!

Stunning views! Id love to hike to an area like that. All of my mountains are round and boring 🙂

5. Alli says:

Argh, these posts kill me because I want to go to BC so badly!! I’m glad you had such a great trip.

I think the mountains are a nice getaway, but I could never live too far from the ocean. I’ve lived in 5 different cities, but every one of them has been near the Atlantic Ocean so I guess it’s just in my blood.

Mountains by oceans would be ideal haha : ) But I’m definitely a mountains/lake girl. I really need to go to BC because this hike looks absolutely beautiful!

7. phampants says:

You two are adorbs.

8. eemusings says:

SO. BEAUTIFUL!

Reminds me of Switzerland.

Ocean girl over here, but mountains once in a while are great too!

I think I MUCH prefer the mountains, even if they come with all of kinds of biting bugs! I love being able to stand on top of a mountain and just SEE forever, you know? It’s so breath taking!

I would have died on that hike, but that lake looks like it’s so worth it!

10. I have anxiously been waiting your posts on your get away as i knew the pics would be gorgeous. I am glad you had such a great time and am mad impressed that you did that hike. But holy cannasta the views were so worth it, I bet!

I am actually more of a mountains person than an ocean person. I prefer hiking to being by the beach. But i also love the ocean. One thing I like about Vancouver is you get both. The mountains are not too far off, and there is the ocean right at your side!

11. iris says:

Absolutely, stunningly beautiful! Lucky!

12. Shoshanah says:

Can I say both? Growing up the beach was so close, there was no need to make a point to visit it, so all of our vacations were up in the mountains. Now in Louisiana there aren’t really mountains nearby, and getting to a beach requires a vacation. The boy is definitely more of a beach than mountain person, but I’m really trying to convince him to go camping with me!

13. Travel Spot says:

That looks like a great vacation! I love the mountains, although of course I also love the ocean. It is too hard to choose between the two. I grew up in the mountains, and so of course will always feel at home in places like that! I am glad that you did that hike, even though it was a little ambitious for right before the race! Eric sure is a trooper!

14. Jane says:

Hi Amber,
    My name is Jane and I’m with Dwellable.
    I was looking for blogs about Whistler Village to share on our site and I came across your post…If you’re open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
    Hope to hear from you soon!
    Jane

• MissAmber says:

Hi Jane,

Sure you can use my post and photos, just please make sure you credit my blog! Thank you!

• Jane says:

Amber,

Absolutely we credit your blog! Could you shoot me an email and I’ll explain a little more?

Jane (at) dwellable (dot) com