Meals, miles, books and looks of July

Another summer month has come and gone. This summer is flying by much too quickly for my liking! We have had the most amazing weather this summer and I’ve just been having a lot of fun. I’m not ready for it to be over!

MEALS

Highlights when it comes to meals this month would definitely be the amazing dinner Eric made for us on our 1-year wedding anniversary. It included a Frisee Aux Lardons salad to start followed by Steak Bearnaise with Sweet Potato Straws. It was GOOD!

IMG 7470 IMG 7472

And we also bought a juicer this month so have been eating a lot of our favourite fruits and veggies in juice form. It’s such a great way to get a whole whack of fruits and veggies in our bodies in a quick way. I am obsessed!

IMG 7588 IMG 7567

Adding to that juicing obsession, we’ve been hitting up the Farmers Market every weekend and getting some awesome hauls of fresh vegetables and fruit. I can’t even fully describe how much I love the Farmers Market in the summer!

IMG 7496

MILES

IMG 7513

A decent month. I think I burnt out a little bit this month as the majority of my runs were on the shorter side when this is really the month I should have peaked! Oh well. I honestly feel like I pushed it as hard as I could with this training. I managed to get in 133.4 miles /  214.6 km and I spent 30 hours on my feet, which is almost exactly the same as last month. I would have liked that number to be closer to 150 miles but what can you do. *If* (and that is a big IF) I ever train for another ultra I will know better! The vast majority of those miles were in the trails with less than 30 of them being on the road! I also did two half-marathons in July; a trail one and a road one!

BOOKS

Another crappy reading month. I managed to finish one book and I’m very close to finishing a second book. I’m not even watching Lost as much as I was in June (halfway through the fifth season and it’s getting a little too weird for my liking) but we had family in town for a few weeks so that kept us super busy and also I just haven’t picked up a book I’m really into for awhile so haven’t felt like reading every spare second I get.

The one book I did read this month was Kingdom of Men and I really wasn’t a fan at all. The writing was beautiful but the story and plot were kind of slow and I hated the ending. It didn’t really come to any real conclusion it just kind of ended. Hate books like that!

LOOKS

Only two photos for you this month…

IMG 7491

Maxi dresses are one of my favourite looks this year. I feel like throwing a blazer on this dress made it totally professional enough (for my office anyways) and it is pretty much like going to work in sweat pants. SOOO comfy!

IMG 7498

And I usually don’t do the tucked in shirt thing but I tried it for this look earlier this month and actually really liked it!

OTHER

A few other misc highlights from the month of July…

IMG 7431

A one-night camping escape with Eric and Chloe! We had the most amazing and fun night getting away and relaxing together at a campground about 30 minutes from town. The only low part of this little trip was our air mattress deflating at 2:30 in the morning. Womp womp.

IMG 7437

Jen’s wonderful tea party themed bridal shower! So fun! I can’t believe her wedding is only three short weeks away!

IMG 7643 IMG 7542

Having my aunt, her fiance and my two cousins visit for a few weeks. I took my aunt and older cousin, Megan, to outdoor yoga and we went to stand up paddle boarding together. It was fun to have some visitors to try new things with and also fun to hang out with my super cute 4-year-old cousin Abi.

August, we have a big month ahead beginning with my 50 km race and ending with my best friends wedding. Bring it on!

What were your meals, miles, books and looks of July?

PS: Happy, happy birthday to my wonderful mother-in-law!

Looks like you had a great month! I have lots of visitors coming this month and I’m definitely looking forward to it! I agree that as usual, summer is going WAY too fast!
    Some of my highlights of this month were obviously my trips- up to Maine with Eric’s family and the big Europe trip. I also loved the days and nights I spent at my favorite pond swimming. We are working up to swimming across the pond which will be about a mile 🙂 Most of tutoring was pretty miserable but I do have these two delightful girls on Tues and Thursday… they LOVE being tutored which is the opposite of most kids, so that was a highlight as well.

2. abbi says:

I’m with you on the Farmer’s Market or just local produce in abundance this time of year. Nothing beats it. I went on a juicing/smoothie kick a few years ago but lost it…need to get back to that! Great month and your 50k will be here soon!

3. Lindsey says:

Love both your outfits! I love my one maxi dress right now too. So easy to toss on, and easy to dress up for work.
    I have not done much reading either, but am reading The Happiest Baby on the Block which so far is really interesting.
    Meals – lots of BBQìng, salads and smoothies!
    Miles – Lol, umm, maybe 15km all month!

You had a great month! I love that maxi dress…where did you find it?

Love both of your outfits! I am also into maxi dresses and tucked in shirts – neither of which I was a couple months ago haha.

Great running month! Also, what kind of juicer did you buy? I’m in the market : )

6. Your anniversary dinner looks DELICIOUS! Go Eric! Oh, and that camping photo totally reminded me we need to pack rope for to extend SoMi’s leash this weekend when we go camping!!!

7. Alli says:

Love love love both albums. Looks like you had a lovely July.

Looks like you are having a great summer! We’re going camping (finally) next weekend. Can’t wait!

9. That neon pink drink looks delicious! I’m on the hunt for a good juicer first I want to splurge on a Vitamix though.

I love maxi dresses! You look fantastic in that one. I love the print. I”m a shortie (5’1.5) so I’m always on the lookout for a maxi-dress that elongates me.

10. Abby Nastase says:

I just figured out that you are doing an ultra – and think that is amazing!! Wow – I give major props to you! Excited to see how it goes – what am experience.

I am envious of your farmers markets. They aren’t so great in the desert – and we haven’t checked out the Texas ones yet. I maybe will have to try this weekend!

I’m reading “The Wednesday Sisters”. My miles for July were 89.6 mi ran, 61 mi biked, 1.5 mi swam!

11. So many great photos. They always make me want to come visit and run there. I love short little one nighter camping trips. That is likely what we’ll have to do in the next few weeks. I can’t end the summer without going camping!

12. That long dress is really pretty. My meals in July were pretty great, and I’m hoping to do a lot more BBQing in August.

What were you doing to make the air mattress deflate? 😉 (I kid.)

Sounds like an amazing month for you all around. Wholeheartedly agree- the summer is going by way to fast for my liking, too. I can’t believe it’s August already. Wow!

14. Travel Spot says:

Okay so I knew that you were eating bacon once in a while, but are you a full fledged meat eater now? I must have missed that part… That anniversary dinner looks so good! I love sweet potato fries! I got a sweet potato the other day and made baked chips out of them and it was pretty darn good. You really can’t go wrong with a sweet potato!

See you in 3 days!

15. Your outfits look great! I think you look so slim with that top tucked in!

You really had a busy month, I can see why reading has fallen to the way side right now. You’ll get back to reading when your life has more of a sense of balance. Last month was a huge reading month for me, and now this month I have barely read, so it definitely ebbs and flows.

I would love to own a juicer someday. It’s so not happening in this apt as I have forbid myself from buying anymore kitchen gadgets since I don’t have room for the ones I have!

16. […] in August but not so much stuff that fits into my meals, miles, books and looks categories. So like July I will have to do an ‘other’ category as […]