Bare as You Dare 8 km Race Report

This could be alternatively titled “the first time I’ve EVER ran in just a sports bra and shorts”

Yesterday was my very first run back since Squamish 50. One of my running friends sent an email last week asking if, instead of our normal Sunday morning run, we all wanted to go out and support a local event called the Bare As You Dare run, which was really low on participants. It was $20, with all proceeds going to the Kidney Foundation, so a group of us agreed to come out and support the run.

Spoiler alert: am I ever glad that I DID support this run because not only did have an awesome atmosphere, delicious and amazing post-race food but I also walked away with a gift certificate for a brand new pair of shoes! Whoop, whoop.

Since I have Chicago coming up in 7 weeks I asked Carmine (running partner-in-crime for real!) if she would meet me at the race start early so we could do a quick 30 minute run before the race. So we met at the start, registered and then headed out for a quick 5 km out and back along one of my favourite running paths in the city. Overall my legs felt really great but I was definitely struggling a bit with my breathing, especially as we were chatting a lot, I think the transition back to road running from trail running will be harder than I thought when it comes to pacing myself because I was finding it a little hard to chat and run a few times because we were pushing the pace a little bit and we also ran the whole way because there were no big hills to hike like in the trails!

Anyways, we got back to the start with 30 extra minutes of running under our belts just in time to meet up with our friends, who were in awesome costumes! My friend Tara’s husband Chris dressed up as a sumo wrestler. HILARIOUS! (he obviously won best male costume. haha)

1150958_10151844687178767_617618785_n

Anyways, I had just planned on running in normal running clothes but when we got to the start I saw that lots of people were in just shorts and a sports bra. I have NEVER ran in just shorts and a sports bra because I’m not overly confident about my stomach and the jiggling that happens when running. I was going to just do the run in my normal clothes as planned but at the last minute I decided it was time to step out of my comfort zone so I ditched my tank top and crossed the start line in just shorts and my sports bra!

I decided to run the race doing 10 and 1’s with my other running friend Cindy sinceΒ  I did not want to push it. I had a lot of fun catching up with her and retelling my tales of Squamish 50. It was a pretty warm morning with our later start of 9 am and I actually discovered later that I got a little sunburnt! When we were about 1 km from the finish I said bye to Cindy and decided to push it hard to the finish line. I was coming into the finish when I heard the announcer say something about someone breaking into a sprint and I was like “hmmm, that’s not me” and suddenly I heard a girl who was WAY behind me last time I saw her coming up behind me. I figured a little competition at the end never hurt anyone so I broke into a sprint as well! We were pretty much neck and neck when we hit the finish line but I think she may have pulled ahead of me a little bit at the end. I finished the 8(ish) km around 48 minutes!

1175052_280715195404587_228823536_n

Above photo taken from the Bare As You Dare Facebook Page!

Afterwards the organizers had TONS of food including these cute underwear cookies (that I wish I’d taken a photo of) and a door prize for every single participant! I got a cute pair of underwear. Then, just as I was getting ready to leave, they started to call a bunch of numbers up for the main door prize (mine included). Apparently they had people out on the course scouting out the most boring shoes (ouch!) haha. Anyways, myself Carmine and about 6 or 7 other people got called up to the front. I have two big holes in my road shoes from lifting my big toes when I run. This has been a problem for me with ALL my road shoes in the past four years of running. Me and Carmine were the only two with holes in our shoes so the announcer pulled us to the front and said it’s going to be a race to…. (meanwhile going through my head was CRAP, I can’t beat Carmine in a race, she’s way faster than me!) get both sets of shoe laces out of your shoes the fastest! What?! Ok I can do that! So, for what I’m sure was a very hilarious 60ish seconds, Carmine and I were scrambling to get our laces out of both sets of shoes. My darn double knotted shoes almost thwarted me but I managed to pull ahead and barely beat Carmine (by like a millisecond!) I was given a gift certificate for a new pair of Saucony shoes from the local running store! I’m a little wary since I have always worn Asics but I do really need new road shoes for Chicago training so I’m very excited about this and hope that Saucony will work for me.

So all in all a super fun race, AMAZING post race food and awesome door prizes for $20? Great event all around! I will definitely be back to this race next year and encourage anyone else in the area to come out as well!

me and carmine - bare as you dare

Have you ever ran in a sports bra? Would you? It was definitely something that was way out of my comfort zone but I’m glad I did it!

1. Caz says:

I switched from Asics to Saucony’s a few years ago (Asics changed their highly supportive shoe to be even more supportive which no longer worked for my feet) and I love them. They both work great and I wouldn’t be adverse to switching between the two brands in the future.

Also congrats I’m proud of your confidence. I would NEVER run in a sports bra πŸ™‚

2. Sherry Sim says:

It was hilarious watching U2 go for the shoes and noone more worthy than the two of you! I also went out of my comfort zone wearing a bra and bustier……which in fact hid my stomach…., but I had a comment from someone there how revealing my outfit was….Well it is BARE AS YOU DARE. After that comment I kind of started feeling uncomfortable and then when I was leaving a 65 year old man with a handicapped sticker rolled down his window and said…, Just had to tell you, you look good, real good…..Anyhow evenso I am glad I joined the comrodarie of the Kamloops Running Community. I hope this race grows, its just plain good FUN!!! Congrats on the shoes Amber!

This is an awesome race theme!! I have never actually ran in a sports bra, except maybe on my own treadmill haha but I probably would if it was a race theme! Maybe I’d have to do some sit ups first πŸ™‚

I kind of love hilarious contests like that, congrats on winning! A new pair of shoes is great!

4. Carmine K says:

This was soo much fun! I am so glad you won the shoes and I really hope they work out for you!!!!

I always get holes in my running shoes too! It’s so annoying, especially when I was playing slo-pitch because dirt from the diamond would get in them, lol.
    I don’t know if I could run in my underoos. Maybe? I think if the cause was right (like this one) I would!

6. Yea for scoring a pain of shoes! That is awesome! I am glad your first run back went so well. I am impressed with how well you have recovered from your 50k!

I used to run in a sports bra and shorts all the time when I trained for my first marathon in 2006. I was about 15 pounds lighter back then, so felt ok with it. Plus it was a super hot and humid summer. I actually ended up running the 2nd half of the marathon in my sports bra and shorts as it was such a hot day, so most of my race photos are of me in a sports bra, but they actually don’t look too bad.

7. Sounds like you had a lot of fun! Good for you for stepping out of your comfort zone!

Pre-baby I probably would feel ok running in just a sports bra but not now. Too much extra pounds, skin, stretch marks and jiggle to take my top off.

8. Shoshanah says:

It sounds like you had a blast! And such a change of pace from your last race.

9. In high school I did. Now? HAAHAHAHAH No. The child did things to my stomach that will not be undone.

10. Loved reading about this and I too am super impressed you’re already back at a race–you continue to be amazing, lady! And congrats on the shoes!

I just started working out in shorts and a sports bra on occasion when I do Insanity in my garage and I’ve done yard work a few days in that combo, but I don’t know that I’ve actually run in just a sports bra yet. I feel like I’m comfortable enough at this point to do so, but honestly I’ve gotten so used to the double bra factor (2 size too small sports bra plus jogging top with built in bra to hold the girls in) that I wouldn’t want to be without it. I guess I could just go with two sports bras though?! πŸ™‚

Way to go lady!

11. Sounds like fun!! Nope, I’ve never run in a sports bra … but I would (not in a race though, because it’s not allowed in our races here – weird I know) (also because I don’t race) (or run). Ha!

12. Abby says:

This looks so fun!! Cute!!!

I’m sure it’s a strange transition going from trail to road, but once you get it down I think you’ll find your endurance is much better since trail running takes so much core strength!

I almost always run in a sports bra (in the summertime). I used to feel a little self conscious, but now I’ve decided “It’s 85 degrees a with 95% humidity, I will do what is legal to stay cool!) πŸ™‚

Ha! What a fun event! So glad you did this – and I bet the whole sports bra and shorts was freeing as well!

14. Bronwyn says:

I’ve done a couple runs before in my sports bra; never a race though… Sounds like a really fun time though!

15. LG says:

Ahhh this race looks like a lot of fun! And nice work on winning the shoe certificate! I’m a Saucony girl myself…I’ve tried a couple of other brands but Saucony’s have a generous toe-box which my feet love. :0) Plus at the Running Room, they are $129, which is a little less than the cost of some other shoes.

As for running in a bra…I’m not super keen on it. I would do it for a fun run, but I just don’t feel like it’s appropriate, normally. Call me a prude, but when I think of, say, my father-in-law seeing me running in a sports bra, it weirds me out. And if I’m on a run by myself, I like to draw the least attention in case I go by a construction site or it’s getting dark out…just for safety’s sake. Plus I love my few Lulu tops!!! :0)

16. Travel Spot says:

Great job getting back out there so soon and doing it for a good cause as well! I think you are going to like the Sauconys. I was always a die hard Asics wearer, and then I won a free pair of Saucony Kinvaras and I love them! I still go between the two kinds, but I wouldn’t say that one is any better than the other. Also, it’s given me more courage to try a few others (Montrail, which I like, and Brooks, which I don’t). This may be your big breakthrough!

I never run in a sports bra. I am too self conscious. I did it ONE time when it was about 100 degrees out and I was sponsored in a race and I had to wear the t-shirt during the race and it was a black, cotton shirt and I was dying! So I ran the last few miles of a half marathon in just my bra. But I felt weird the entire time! .

17. Emilie says:

Kudos to you! I don’t think I’d have the courage to do that right now. Maybe 10-15 lbs from now, but not now. I think the idea behind the race is awesome. So many of us are self conscious about our bodies and a race that encourages us to be proud of the vehicle that allows us to run as far as we do is really encouraging.

I’m excited to read about Chicago! I was there for the first time in May and loved it and my dream would be to go back and run a race there.

18. What a super fun race — and congrats on pushing yourself to do something you’d never done before. Even when I was in my most fit shape, with pretty abs and everything, I never ran in just a sports bra. I dunno – just strikes me as a little too … or not enough … yeah, can’t put words to it, but I just never did it (and don’t think I will should I ever lose these last remaining baby pounds).

my daughter did an “undie run” where they bared their clothes and donated them for charity, then ran a 5k. she wore sports bra/spandex shorts under her clothes so it was similar to the photo you posted.

i think i *might* do it for the right cause, but not likely that it would happen. Trust me, at my age nobody wants me to be so bare. LOL

20. Cait says:

You look amazing, Amber! I can’t even imagine running in a sports bra, but it’s inspiring that you did. πŸ™‚