Cancun Trip: Part II

You can read about the first half of our Cancun Trip here!Β

Our third day in Cancun was probably the nicest day weather-wise of all. The sky was clear and blue and the sun was shining bright!

DSC 0067

We spent another morning laying out – this time on the sandy beach.

29DSC 0070

We basically laid in the above position and read our books for about three hours.Β I was wearing SPF 30 but I got SEVERELY sunburnt on the backside of my body this day. Clearly SPF 30 is no match for the Mexican sun on this gingers body!

The blue water was so gorgeous, I could have stared at it all day!

31DSC 0077Β DSC 0076

The ocean was as blue as the pool…

DSC 0117

After a sufficient amount of laying around, reading and getting sunburnt we got ourselves cleaned up and headed into Cancun for the afternoon. We did some shopping at the market and the Mexican Outlet and then had a really crappy and overpriced dinner at Senor Frogs. That about sums up day three! Hard life, I know πŸ˜‰

Day four was another outing – this time to the Mayan Ruins at Coba! We knew we were going to visit at least one Mayan Ruin site during our trip because Eric is quite interested in that kind of thing but it wasn’t until we got there that we decided which one. We ended up choosing Coba for a few reasons; you can climb the pyramid at Coba and the tour included a visit to a Cenote and to a Mayan Village.

43DSC 0154Β 44DSC 0157

The ruins were cool to see but we had kind of a crappy tour guide and it felt like we were rushed through which was too bad. It would have been nice to have someone who had a bit more knowledge and was more interesting!

59DSC 0201

Climbing the pyramid was a tad frightening. It’s 40 feet high, 122 steps and has no sides. Plus lots of people were climbing it all at once!

48DSC 0172

We made it to the top and were rewarded with a beautiful view of the jungle!

49DSC 0173

53DSC 0178

58DSC 0197

After we were done at the ruins we were taken to a cenote, which was SO cool! I jumped in from about 15 feet up which was a little freaky!

61DSC 0212Β 64DSC 0216

65DSC 0226

And then we went to a Mayan Village – it was a full day tour! It was very cool to get to tour the village and also a lovely Mayan woman made us homemade tortilla’s that were SO GOOD.

67DSC 0242

We were BEAT after we arrived home that evening – it was a long day. We spent some time lazing around our room, had some champagne, read and – what else – snoozed a bit πŸ™‚ Then we tried the one restaurant at our resort we hadn’t yet tried – sushi!Β Eric and I are both big sushi fans but sushi in Mexico maybe wasn’t the best idea. It definitely turned my stomach a little!

78IMG 1318

Our final day in Cancun was on Friday. We flew out that evening so we still had most of the day at our resort. I woke up that morning with one intention in mind – to go for a barefoot run on the beach! I hadn’t been in the mood for running all week but I knew I couldn’t come all the way to Mexico and not go running on the beach! I did a 40 minute run right along the water and it was wonderful. However, my calves were SO SORE for about three days afterwards.

81photo 749

82photo 750Β 83photo 751

I also finally took a picture of breakfast the last day. Breakfast was by far our favourite meal at our resort. It was served buffet style and included traditional breakfast things like french toast, pancakes and eggs as well as Mexican staples like chilaquiles and refried beans. And of course every day we were there started with a mimosa or two.

84IMG 1326

We got in a little bit more sunbathing and enjoyed our last pina coladas of the trip before we had to check out.

86IMG 1333Β 87IMG 1336

Bye, Mexico. We WILL see you again.

88IMG 1341

And that was our trip in a nutshell. Mostly due to my very painful sunburn I was ready to go home by the end of it, but still a bit sad to leave. The week flew by of course. We’ve done quite a few trips together but never one as relaxing as this one. I returned feeling more refreshed and rejuvenated than I have in awhile. I definitely see more beach and all inclusive vacations in our future πŸ™‚

What’s the most relaxing vacation you’ve ever been on?Β

1. San says:

What a wonderful trip, Amber. The photos are amazing!

I am usually not somebody who likes to go on beach vacations. My favorite, relaxing vacation is skiing in the mountains! πŸ˜‰

2. eemusings says:

Aww, it sounds like the perfect getaway. Huzzah!

Our most relaxing was definitely Rarotonga in 2011 (you guys go to Mexico/Caribbbean; we go to Pacific islands). 5/6 days of beach, sea, lolling around and scooter trips around the island. I just dug out the photos – http://nzmuse.com/2011/07/post-holiday-thoughts/- and wishing I was there again. But hey, we’re about to go travelling for six months anyway!

Ah, this vacation looks wonderful πŸ™‚ Glad you guys had such a relaxing time! Did you get late check out? I only ask because whenever I book an afternoon/night flight I end up wasting the last day because I feel like i have to leave and then I have all my stuff with me so I’m like crap I can’t do anything but go to the airport haha

Your trip sounded so relaxing! Love the photos, too! Sorry about your burn though, that’s the worst! I have super sensitive/Irish skin so whenever I’ve gone to the Carribean I wear like SPF 50 and reapply every hour. It’s kind of crazy but I’ve realized the hard way it’s necessary. The sun is a different kind of strong down there!

5. abbi says:

The cenote looks fun! Had to laugh at the sushi in Mexico. The absolute worst food poisoning I’ve had was the result of a seafood buffet in Mexico. I still have no idea what I was thinking when I was eating that stuff. I deserved it, luckily it was the last day so the worst of the sickness came after we arrived home. It was rough!

Ohhh the sunburn – you know I understand! Other than that SO glad you had such a great time – these pictures are incredible! Hope you’re less red and recovering nicely!

7. I am glad you came back refreshed and rejuvenated. Those pictures of the ocean are beautiful. I am glad you had a great time together.

I haven’t been on a truly relaxing beach type vacation but my trip to Paris was actually pretty relaxing as I didn’t have an agenda on some days and made sure to spend time just sitting in cafes, drinking coffee and reading, which was lovely. πŸ™‚

Your pictures are so nice. What a fantastic trip! This makes me so excited for our trip in 88 days! Sounds like I will need to load up the kindle with lots of books because I plan on doing what you have done….read, sleep, drink, eat, sleep, read, swim, sleep, drink…lol

9. Bronwyn says:

That sounds like it was a great time. Ouch for the sunburn though. :S Probably the most relaxing vacation I’ve ever had was this past christmas when I went home, it was the first vacation in a long time where I literally didn’t have homework of some kind. It was awesome.

Ahhhhh! This makes me want a beach vacation so badly. It just sounds SO relaxing! I’m sorry about the sunburn, though. I was applying like CRAZY on my first cruise because I sunburn so easily. Sunburns can ruin the whole vacation sometimes.

My cruises are uber relaxing. That’s why I love them so much. They are a perfect mixture of DOING and RELAXING. I don’t like vacations where I’m go, go, go all the time.

Glad you had such a fun trip!

11. LG says:

Ahhh thank you for these recaps! I feel like I just had a mini vacation! That looks like so much fun.

Except the sunburn. Man, the sun down there is just totally different from here, hey? Argh!

We had a trip to Mexico planned for January, but we had to cancel it because the hubs got a new job that started that week. We now have an airline credit to use this year, and I REALLY want to go somewhere beachy and hot! But if we do, I am keeping my husband completely covered in SPF 1000 because he’s so white! :0)

Your trip is a lot like how ours went! I love it! We opted to skip the ruin tour because of what you said here; we heard some not awesome things about it so decided to spend the day lazing about and playing water volleyball instead.

I loved breakfast and lunch at our resort the most, too! And of course the pina coladas. I really hope we can go back to Mexico again some day. Glad you had a great time πŸ™‚

13. Gah, that blue water just kills me. SOOO beautiful. It’s cool that you guys also got to experience the ruins. Breakfast was also my fav meal of the day in Mexico. Sooo many fresh fruits.

14. Alli says:

Looks like a lovely trip. I hope your sunburn is better now!

I could definitely go for a little sun, sand and beach in my life right about now! I’ve been on a few sun vacations and loved all of them. Nothing beats have nothing at all to do for a week and not feeling guilty at all about spending your time laying in the sun reading πŸ™‚

16. The most relaxing vacation I’ve ever been on was the last all-inclusive vacation I went on, which was to the Dominican Republic.

17. Travel Spot says:

The water is so blue! I love how you can’t even tell the difference between it and the pool! My most relaxing beach vacation was probably Thailand or maybe Biarittz, France. I love laying on the beach and reading and watching the waves; it’s one of my favorite things to do ever!

18. Going to the Mayan ruins and swimming in the cenote look like such a fun, unique experience! I think the most relaxing vacations I have are visiting my parents’ beach house. The comforts of home just a mile or so from the beach!

19. Shoshanah says:

This seems like such a relaxing trip. Definitely the type of vacation I’m craving right now!

As for a relaxing vacation, I remember in high school going on vacation somewhere up in Quebec. We were at a little resort where our family had a small private villa on the beach. And I remember getting amazing room service for breakfast. I thought it was the most amazing thing, since we practically had a private beach, had delicious food delivered to us, and I spent the majority of time on our villa’s porch reading. Definitely wish I knew where this was, because I’d love to go back someday.

20. When I go on vacation, all I want to do is relax, so beaches it usually is! I think Cleveland (for a cousins wedding and then turned long weekend) is my only non beach vacation in many years ha.

21. Melissa says:

Your pictures are just KILLING me. Your excursions sound amazing. i went to Mexico in 2010 for my brother’s wedding and we did one excursion in caves, which I loved, but I wish I could have done a few more things, including seeing ruins! I didn’t properly appreciate traveling and exploring just those few years ago, so I know I definitely need to go back. Sounds like you had an AMAZING time!