Cancun Trip: Part I

Hello, hello!

I’m back from an amazing, relaxing, beautiful week in Cancun, Mexico. As vacations tend to do, the week FLEW by and now it’s back to reality. Luckily we got home on Saturday afternoon so we had yesterday to bum around the house, do laundry, get groceries and generally prepare ourselves for going back to work and school.

So without further ado, here is the recap of the first half of our Cancun trip.

Our trip TO Cancun was long. We drove to Vancouver last Saturday afternoon then took a red-eye flight to Toronto and after a three hour layover there we caught another flight to Cancun arriving at noon on Sunday.

We had an oceanview room with a king-sized bed and it was lovely! Our hotel wasn’t exactly anything special, and I wouldn’t describe it as “luxurious” but the view from our balcony more than made up for that…

2DSC 0006

4DSC 0011

We were famished so the first thing we did when we arrived was go down to the restaurant and eat! We had an all-inclusive so ate most of our meals at the restaurant attached to our resort. Once again, not amazing food but good enough. Breakfast and lunch was actually quite delicious but I was not a fan of the dinner options at all.

After eating we napped! Ha. Red-eye flights are not good for sleep. Then we spent the first evening in Cancun walking on the beach. Nothing too exciting!

7DSC 0030

Our first full day in Cancun was Monday and I have very few photos to share from it because we spent the day scuba diving! I am seriously kicking myself for not buying a disposable underwater camera because it was AMAZING. We dived with Nautilus Diving in Cancun and I highly recommend them. I thought the price was really reasonable and it included: a mini course on scuba diving as well as practice diving in the pool, all the equipment, and two dives at two different reefs! There was four of us diving, three of us were beginners, and three dive masters came on the dive with us, which was awesome and helpful!

It was super windy in Cancun for most of the week, but especially on Monday, with winds of about 35km/hour. We almost had to postpone our scuba diving because of this. This meant that the water was VERY choppy which made it a bit hard to go down the rope and also meant there was quite a current on the bottom (30 feet underwater) which made it harder to control yourself than either of us expected. On the first dive we had to hang onto a dive master the entire time because both Eric and myself had trouble controlling our buoyancy. On the second dive the reef we were at was bigger and offered more shelter from the current so we were able to control ourselves better and dive on our own. It was definitely a bit of an art form to control your buoyancy down there though, I didn’t expect it to be so hard. Despite that it was by far one of the most amazing things I’ve ever done in my life and I already can’t wait to do it again!Β Here are some photos grabbed from Google Images of the fish we saw!

On the first dive we saw about 10 barracuda’s! We were only about 6 feet away from them!

Barracuda

On the second dive we saw a lion fish and also swam very close to a school of hundreds of yellow snapper fish! Once again, so so amazing and like nothing I’ve ever experienced!

Lion fishΒ Yellowfish

Anyways, lesson learned, when (not if!) I go scuba diving again I will definitely be bringing an underwater camera. Here we are after the dives:

10DSC 0043

After diving and before heading back to our resort we wandered across the street to a place called Casa Tequila and had margarita’s and nacho’s! It was good and well-priced, I would recommend it!

11DSC 0052Β 12DSC 0053

DSC 0056

After that we caught a cab back to our resort, napped (can you see that this is becoming a trend in our time there! haha) and then got dressed and had dinner in the restaurant.

More margaritas were had!

13IMG 1243

And then it was bedtime. Scuba diving takes a lot out of you!

Day two was an insanely mellow day. We slept in, and then spent the ENTIRE day laying by the pool and drinking pina colada’s! The sunrises from our balcony were also pretty amazing πŸ™‚

15DSC 0063

99% of Day 2 was spent in this position:

17IMG 1250

Drinking these:

18IMG 1253

We occupied this huge, incredibly comfy, chair for most of the day and read and napped. Luckily it was pretty cloudy that day so I didn’t get too sunburnt. I say luckily because we only spent a couple of hours outside the following day and I got SEVERELY sunburnt despite wearing SPF 30 and reapplying twice! The sun was shining in full force!

21IMG 1262

Finally after a full day of lazing around and drinking (seriously, that’s it, that’s all) we went for a walk on the beach. We walked for about an hour on the beach that night and it was a lot harder walking barefoot in the sand than I thought it would be!

26IMG 1293

IMG 1294

After drinking the day away, laying in the sun and going for a walk on the beach we were tired so we went back to our room and… you guessed it… napped!! Siesta is a spanish word so I guess it was appropriate we had one every day we were in Mexico!

We had a late dinner that night and then headed to bed. I would say our time in Mexico (with the exception of the two days we did outings) could be summarized by the following words; drinking, napping and reading, which was perfect. It was a super relaxing time which was exactly what we both needed! I had never been to Mexico before nor had I ever been on an all-inclusive vacation and I loved it, it is something I would definitely do again.

I will recap the second half of our trip in another post πŸ™‚

Have you ever done an all-inclusive beach vacation? Have you ever gone scuba diving? Would you want to do either of those things if you never have before?Β

1. Stevie says:

Looks like an absolutely wonderful vacation! So…barracudas? Was that super scary, or do they just stay away from you?

• MissAmber says:

They just stayed away! I think it was a “don’t bother them and they won’t bother you” kind of thing!

2. I would love to learn to scuba dive some day. Did you have to take lessons before you went?

I went to Mexico two years ago for my best friends wedding. It was my first time there and my first all inclusive. Personally I wasn’t a fan of the all inclusive thing. The mass produced buffet food and having to sign in and out when you left was a major turn off. The price is awesome given that you get all the food and drink y want, but I like to get up and go on my own account.

• MissAmber says:

We did a 2-hour “crash course” type of lesson. One hour of instruction and one hour of practicing in the pool. We also only did 30 feet dives on reefs so couldn’t have done open water dives or anything. It was the perfect thing to give us a taste of scuba diving and now I really want to get certified!

This looks like a fantastic trip with the perfect mix of relaxation and doing things. When we went to Miami we had a similar trip (though not as amazing tropical waters) where we only did like 1 outing, and the rest was most relaxing, drinking and eating haha.

I went scuba diving once in Australia and have been wanting to go again ever since. It’s amazing. I also had my zen like snorkel experience in Hawaii, which was also amazing. I love snorkeling too πŸ™‚

I think I would like to try an all inclusive some day but the lack of dining options would probably be a problem for me. So I guess I’ll have to settle with worrying about money while on vacation haha.

I’m so glad you have fun! The pictures look incredible and because you’re always so busy at home I think it’s perfect that you just chilled and relaxed while you were there!!!

5. That sounds so wonderful and relaxing! I am glad you guys took it easy as that is what beach vacations are for!

I have never really done a beach vacation. I went to visit a friend when she was in the Peace Corp in the Dominican Republic and we went to the beach for a couple of days, but it wasn’t really a relaxing vacation. But still fun of course! I would like to do a relaxing beach vacation some day. I am bummed that Phil and I weren’t able to go on one but this move just made it impossible…

6. abbi says:

When we went on an all all-inclusive trip to Mexico that summed up our trip too. We only had one outing though (I think) so you beat us there! Scuba diving sounds wonderful!

All inclusive is the way to go! I’ve been to Cancun before (that’s where I met Brian) and enjoyed it. It’s a little too commercialized for me, but still you can’t beat the sun and the sand πŸ™‚

8. Bronwyn says:

I’ve never really done an all inclusive before. I think I might enjoy it with the right people, and if I really needed the relaxation time. Scuba diving I would totally totally do, I’ve snorkeled at reefs a few times in my life, but never scuba dived.

Gorgeous pictures! It makes me want to take off for a beach vacation πŸ™‚ I’ve never gone scuba diving but I’ve done some snorkeling and I really enjoyed it! I think I’d like to try scuba diving some day but swimming with barracudas?!? No thanks! I’ve never done an all inclusive before but it sounds like the way to go!

10. Alison says:

Looks awesome!! I could use some sun, sand and drinks right now!! We napped a lot on vacay too, that’s what it’s for!!

How relaxing! Napping is essential while on vacation….especially on the beach

Oh, this sounds like my kind of vacation! That’s what my days look like when I go on a cruise. Haha. Lots of drinking and reading and napping. And excursions when we’re in a port! Now I’m really anxious to try scuba diving soon! It sounds like an incredible adventure. I’ve snorkeled but I think scuba diving would be AMAZING.

I’m glad you and Eric had such a great, relaxing time in Mexico!

13. That looks like an amazing vacation! I’m glad you guys had a good time. πŸ™‚

14. I love all inclusive resorts for the mere ease of everything. Sure, the food isn’t always fantastic, but it really does allow you to just chill out and relax because you’re not running around town trying to find a good place to eat. That being said, next time we go, I think we may try a non all inclusive option. But I really loved Barcelo (chain of resorts) so I could also see us going back there. The service and everything was just perfect. It’s always nice to have a day to ease back into the real world after such a relaxing vaca like this. Looking forward to part 2!

15. eemusings says:

WOW!!! Those colours are amazing!

Have you ever done an all-inclusive beach vacation? – Nope. Would like to, though not sure if they’re common in this part of the world. Definitely keen to do an inclusive cruise one day.

Have you ever gone scuba diving? Nope. Not a big fan of water. Even surface snorkelling is hard enough for me – induces a bit of a panic.

16. It sounds absolutely AMAZING! Thanks for sharing it, especially about the scuba diving because that’s something on my bucket list for sure πŸ™‚ Also sounds like the ideal trip πŸ™‚ Glad it was such a good trip—especially cause you two needed a break!

17. Michaela says:

Just curious — what camera did you use for the underwater photos? They came out fantastic!

18. Those are the best vacations! Catching up on reading, sleep and drinking πŸ™‚ Looked like an awesome beach!!

19. Hey girl!!! I’ve done 3 all inclusive beach vacations, and I have one coming up in a couple weeks. I do scuba dive, and have done a couple dives in the ocean. Fun stuff! Barracudas are scary!!!

20. Travel Spot says:

Wow that’s beautiful! It looks like a wonderful time! I have never been to an all inclusive resort, but it seems like it lends lots of opportunities for napping, which I am in favor of!

Looks like an amazing trip! I love Mexico! All I do is drink, eat and suntanned!

I’ve never scuba dived. I’ve snorkelled but I prefer to stay close to the surface. I don’t think I would enjoy scuba diving because of this.

22. Lovely photos – the sun and aqua blue water make me salivate – I would love a vacation like that! The first and only time we did an all inclusive was for part of our honeymoon in Costa Rica. It was a mediocre experience at best and I doubt we’ll ever do one again. Even on restful vacations, we like the freedom to explore … and all-inclusives make us feel very tied down to the resort. I’m glad, though, you had so much fun – that water is amazing!

23. All inclusive is my favorite way to vacation. It’s just so nice not to worry about things and laying on a beach. ahhhhhhhh.

24. Melissa says:

Soooooo prettyyy!! How on EARTH did you manage to keep your hair straight in Mexico! You looked great πŸ™‚ Love those pics of you and Eric!

25. […] You can read about the first half of our Cancun Trip here!Β  […]

26. […] Visited Cancun, Mexico and had an amazing 5 days laying on the beach, drinking pina colada’s and going scuba diving! […]

27. […] #4: Have an awesome time in Mexico! Success! We had an amazing week in Cancun and I recapped it here and here. This was really my most important goal for February, for a variety of reasons Eric and I […]

28. […] you can believe it I’ve NEVER snorkelled before this trip to Maui (we did go scuba diving when we visited Mexico in 2013) and I can’t believe how much I loved […]