Race Report: Dirty Feet Sun Peaks 5K Mountain Run

So as I briefly mentioned in my birthday recap, I did a 5K trail race the day before my birthday. This was only my second race this whole year (first one since my marathon!)

I went up with my friend Janine who is new to running. I actually did my first trail race ever at Sun Peaks back in 2009!

Anyways, we got up there nice and early to get our race packages and then just spent some time hanging around, watched the 16-K runners start and taking pictures! It was a gorgeous day!

IMG 4497

IMG 4501 IMG 4500

Before we knew it, it was time to start running! Janine and I decided we’d do our own thing at this race and meet up again at the end. We started by weaving through the village and then began to climb, climb, climb!

Screen shot 2012 09 16 at 11 28 11 AM

IMG 4505

However the climb was totally worth it as we were rewarded with the most beautiful view of the village at the top! After we got to the top of the big hill the rest of the course was relatively downhill or flat. There wasn’t any single track trail really and most of it was on wider road-type trails. But still really pretty and nice. I really enjoyed the out-and-back portion because I find it really motivating to see other people running in the opposite direction!

Like I got to see Janine at the turnaround point! Below our official race photos. How great is Janines running form?

Right 00107 Right 00108

Before we knew it the end was in sigh and I sprinted through it and quickly turned around to get a photo of Janine coming in!

IMG 4514

Final Stats:

5K in 32:34

After we both finished we hung around for an hour or so and cheered a bunch of other people in and for the door prizes. I got two hiking passes to Sun Peaks for next summer! It was a really fun morning and a gorgeous race. I would definitely do it again. Maybe next year I’ll even do the 16 km mountain run. We’ll see, though 🙂

Next weekend I am doing another Dirty Feet race, the same 10K I have done the past two years, and then that will likely be my last race for 2012. I am enjoying running just a couple of mornings a week with Chloe and when I want to run instead of when a training plan tells me to run. This is actually the longest I’ve ever taken off between races but I know it’s what my body needs and wants right now. I am really loving trail running lately, it’s pretty much the only kind of running I ever want to do. I am thinking a big trail distance is on tap for 2013!

Question of the day: Do you prefer trail or road running?

1. Looks like a fun race! And your friend does have great running form!

I prefer road running. I have only done trail running once and I can’t say that I loved it. I felt so unsure of where I was and was concerned about getting lost as the trails had so many different markers (that made no sense to me). But I can see the allure of trail running as I think it’s a more ‘zen’ type of running! I can’t wait to see what race you do in 2013!

2. abbi says:

Looks like a great race with wonderful views…that’s the best part of trail running!

Great job on the trail run! I’m always so jealous of your trail running. I just did a quick google search of trail running in my area and nothing caught my eye so I might have to look into it further..

I prefer running on dirt paths/soft surfaces than road running because it’s nicer on my body

Way to go on the 5K! I actually loathe trail running, because it’s so unstable and I’m constantly worried I’m going to fall and break my neck. 😉 Road running is more my pace.

5. ris says:

Wow what a beautiful view! I think I prefer road running just because it’s what I’m used to, but I’m warming up to the idea of giving trail running a try! I’ve only run one race this year so far, but I have a few I’m signed up for this fall and I’m looking forward to them!

Looks like a great place for a race! I’m sad we didn’t make it up there when we were out there in August. I haven’t done any trail running, so I would have to say that I like road running better 🙂

7. LG says:

Oh, that scenery is so beautiful. The Kamloops area is so unique that way with some desert and other tree-ed areas. I went to Sun Peaks one time for a wedding and it was gorgeous! Thanks for the pics.

I am kind of afraid of trail running. I saw a TON of people trail running when Ashely and I were on our hike in Boulder and wow, just wow. So intense looking. I’m totally afraid I’d trip/fall/roll an ankle, go over the side of the mountain… I thought that hiking on a trail was difficult enough (maybe it was the altitutde?) so for now I”ll stick to my road running!

9. I don’t do a lot of running, but I think I would definitely prefer trail running – I like good scenery when (trying) to run 🙂

10. Travel Spot says:

That looks like a fun race. Sometimes it’s nice to do shorter races where the fun is in the camaraderie, views and challenges like hills instead of fast times. I prefer trails, but it is hard to wrap your head around running for fun instead of time!

11. Bronwyn says:

I definitely fell in love with trail running while home in Kamloops! I haven’t kept it up here, but I will say I’m starting to get into running more steady, and after the summer of Crossfit and Ultimate, I’m feeling a lot stronger. Hopefully it gets better! Good luck in your race!