Inspiration vs. Reality

Ever since I saw this post on Weddingbee about inspiration vs. reality I knew I wanted to do a post like it. It’s just taken me two months out from the wedding to get around to it 🙂

Anyways, like I mentioned in my details post I used Pinterest A LOT for wedding inspiration and kind of built the whole wedding around the themes summer, yellow, sunflowers and fun. So here’s how inspiration compared to reality! The first collage here is one I created in photoshop using photos from my pinterest boards (original sources are there!) and the second collage is photos from our actual wedding.

Inspiration

Inspiration collage

Reality

Reality collage

Not bad, hey?!

I know people planned weddings for many, many years before Pinterest but I don’t know what i would have done without it! Such a great resource for keeping all my inspiration and visions in one place that I could also share with my wedding planner (she did all the decorating for our wedding based on inspiration photos I sent her!)

Also, I know I’ve been promising a “final thoughts on wedding planning” post but I haven’t really been able to find the words to write it. Then I left a comment on Lauren’s blog the yesterday that basically summed up how I feel.

“Just remember your day will be WONDERFUL no matter how much or how little you spend. The best part about it is truly marrying your best friend and having all your loved ones in one place. The rest of the stuff is just extra, and most of it is stuff you’ll forget about afterwards anyways. What you’ll really be left with is the warm fuzzy feelings from such a GREAT day!”

I am so so so glad we had an actual wedding even though I did threaten elopement many times during the wedding planning process. Now that it’s behind me I really do see that the part that matters most is having all your loved ones witness you marry the one you love. Having that many people you love and who love you in one place does not happen very often, or ever, so I tried to really savour that! If I had to do it all over again I wouldn’t change much because all the stress, tears and sleepless nights during wedding planning were 100% worth it. Our wedding was the most amazing and incredible day of my life and I wouldn’t change any of it for the world.

Question of the day: If you’re married, what are your thoughts on the whole wedding and wedding planning process? And, how close did your big day turn out compared to your inspiration?

Brain twin! I was just thinking “How did I plan a wedding without Pinterest” and then you said it! I didn’t have an inspiration board when I planned ours, but I knew the distinct colors I wanted and I definitely think we pulled that off – it’s really cool to be able to look back and compare though!

2. Erin says:

i think every girl threatens elopement MULTIPLE times throughout wedding planning and I did!

I wish i had a more specific inspiration board, but as a destination wedding, it was really hard to do cuz one the place was not very good at communicating with me at all.

Wow Id say you hit your inspiration dead on! I love having Pinterest to help plan, but it can be completely overwhemling too. As far as wedding decor, my friend and I have been pinning like crazy and we had to stop. I am in the process of taking all of the pins and putting them in a collage and printing it so we can narrow it down to the top 10 or 20. Otherwise, it would be pur insanity.

4. lisa says:

I got married over 20 years ago and things have changed allot since then. However, we had a very small wedding in the morning with a luncheon reception which was very “us.” I thought then, and I still do today, that the marriage was way more important than the wedding festivities, so it’s was very low key. That last I would keep the same. For me, elopement still sounds romantic and practical. For some reason, we didn’t think of that, or else I might have actually followed through. However, our wedding planning was not very stressful as it was.

I just LOVE the colors and themes you picked for your wedding. It’s not something I would have ever of thought to pick but it all comes together so well and so fun and light and beautiful!

I actually like your results better than what you pinned! ha! I’ve been reading so much lately about how pinterest is changing the wedding industry and actually overwhelming brides with too many ideas and such, but you did such a good job making your pinterest boards a reality!

I have to laugh when I read your comment about being through the wedding process… I’ve told the brides to be similar things as they were going through the wedding planning and not many got it. At the end of the day, it’s just one day and no matter how much/how little money you spend, it’s about marrying your partner and enjoying the day with your family and friends 🙂

Nathan and I have dicussed it multiple times in the past four years and have both very firmly stated that if we could do it over again – we would elope. There was just too much stress and drama involved in planning our wedding! We’ve already decided that we will give Topher money for his wedding – but will tell him that he can use it for an actual wedding or he can use it to elope and have a super fancy honeymoon somewhere exotic instead. I think your reality was better than what you pinned, too! Your wedding was beautiful!!!

9. I feel like your wedding turned out better than your inspiration!! I’m afraid that mine won’t live up to what I hope for. BUT I also know I need to reign in my ideas and just go with one sort of feel for the whole day not a million different random ones.

You’re right though, it will all be icing on the cake to marrying my best friend! Happy Friday!

Wedding planning for me was fun and stressful at the same time. I don’t think I’d change anything about the way I planned my wedding!

And I totally wish I had Pinterest when I was wedding planning! I wasted a lot of time just Googling everything and Pinterest would’ve been so much easier! I actually pin things wedding related just for fun, lol. Who knows, maybe I’ll quit my day job and become a wedding planner. 😉

11. Allison says:

You know, I didn’t really do much of an inspiration board. I think I saw certain things (like types of flowers or chalkboard or pie) and I was like “Oh, I like that.” I made a lot of mental notes.

I found a couple items, like my wood table numbers, from WeddingBee, and I also looked at pictures of other weddings at my venue so I could see what things looked like in my specific space. But I don’t really remember picking specific things out of magazines and showing them to vendors.

I also used some friends wedding as ideas, like having ice cream, and using little sunflowers in our centerpieces (but a friend actually used those in her bouquet, so even that was different).

Overall, I’m glad we did what we did and I’m glad we didn’t elope. It was such a fun day, even if it was quite an investment!

12. I think you did an amazing job of turning you inspiration into reality! Your wedding was stunning and beautiful, but like you said,the best part about it was the people who were there helping you celebrate!

I am not sure what kind of wedding I envision for myself. I think it will be a bit more on the simple side because I HATE DIY projects. 😉 I could see myself doing a brunch wedding or an evening wedding with cocktails and macaroons. We’ll see!

13. Jaclyn says:

Looks like you really stuck to your vision!

I have to agree with Caroline- I like the reality better than the inspiration! 🙂
    I am kind of glad there was no pinterest when I was wedding planning, I didn’t need any more crazyness haha.

I agree with you though, much as i hated wedding planning, you just NEVER get all those people in one place ever and so it’s really worth it in the end. Plus, it’s awesome being married too.

15. Travel Spot says:

That’s very close! You and the planner did a great job with your inspiration! I have never been married, but even in just talking about where we would have it if we did get married, I start to get stressed out.

16. Shoshanah says:

I remember reading these posts when I was planning and thinking it was amazing that they were able to pull off their vision. And now from the other side I can look back and realize that I was able to pull it off too. It’s just such a weird filling to have all these abstract details and yet someone be able to make them all come together.

17. Wendy says:

You did a great job of taking that inspiration and making it a reality, I love how yours turned out! As for our wedding planning process, it was quite interesting, as we were planning from so far away and it took us ages to have a “theme”. In the end, I’m not sure if there really was a theme beyond the colours of red, silver and black and that we used tree elements. Also, ours became complicated as parents didn’t make their wishes known until a little later in the process. There were a few last minute curveball changes (i.e. you can’t have black or white in your wedding invitations and oh, we added someone in the last week to the tables, is that ok?). In the end, it was perfect as it was, and even if there wasn’t much of a vision in place for the day, it was still a day for us!

18. As I’ve mentioned before – I think you did a great job brining your theme to life!!!!

As for our wedding – I planned what I hoped would be a beautiful wedding but honestly the end results FAR surpassed my vision. I could have never imagined such a fantastic wedding day!!!! <3

PS: Happy Birthday!!!

19. I sure wish pinterest existed when I planned my wedding!