Wedding Recaps: Details

Previous wedding recaps:

***

It’s officially been 4 weeks since our wedding. Wow! Definitely feels like the time since the wedding is flying by whereas leading up to it kind of dragged 🙂 This is the last “wedding recap” post though I do have a few more wedding-related posts up my sleeve like sharing photos of an inspiration vs. reality board and talking a little about my final/overall thoughts on the whole wedding planning/having a wedding process.

But before we get into all that later this week or next week, here is the final recap post to go over the details of the wedding. I couldn’t fit this kind of stuff into my already obnoxiously long recaps!

I’ll start by saying that I tend to be more of a big picture person than a detail person, so thinking about ALL THE LITTLE DETAILS was really difficult for me at first. I did start to become more detail-oriented towards the end because I had to, but having a wedding planner was my saving grace when it came to bringing to life the details I’d been envisioning (aka pinning to my pinterest boards). I should also add that pretty much all our decorations (vases, table runners, sashes etc.) were part of an awesome decoration rental package we did with our wedding planner. It worked out well so we didn’t have to haul a bunch of decorations to the Sunshine Coast and back and the package she offered was actually very cost-effective!

Ceremony

We had wooden signs at the entrance to our wedding, which I was really happy with and thought added a nice touch!

Amber Eric s Wed 0189 Amber Eric s Wed 0188

The thing that initially started my whole “yellow” vision was the idea of having sunflowers as our main flower. Sunflowers and yellow kind of inspired our entire wedding “theme” after that and I could not be happier with all the ways they were incorporated into the decor.

We kept the ceremony site pretty simple to let the natural beauty shine through…

Ceremony site 3

Amber Eric s Wed 0055

One of the most beautiful touches of the ceremony was probably the harpist we had playing. This was something my mom really, really wanted and I felt kind of indifferent about but it was definitely a beautiful touch and we had lots of compliments on the beautiful harp music!

Amber Eric s Wed 0186

Rather than a traditional guestbook we decided to go with a “Wish Tree”, where guests could write little wishes to us and then hang them on the tree. Below is the “wish tree” table which was set-up at the entrance to the ceremony and the reception.

Amber Eric s Wed 0441

Amber Eric s Wed 0066

Other things on that table included a card box DIY’ed by my mom, our “met, engaged, married” sign (also DIY’ed by my mom) and some of our fan programs!

Amber Eric s Wed 0194 Amber Eric s Wed 0180

Cocktail Hour & Reception

Other than the caesars as our signature cocktail the most important detail to me at cocktail hour was the lemonade stand! I originally saw the idea on Pinterest about 4 or 5 months ago and became obsessed with the idea of having one at our wedding since it fit in so well with the yellow theme. I love the way it turned out and was also glad to hear it was a hit since it was SO hot out that day!

Lemonade stand 2

Amber Eric s Wed 0079

We had the reception outdoors underneath a tent and the decor could not have been more perfect. I wanted really simple centre pieces so our wedding planner picked up a bunch of bulk sunflowers and greenery a few days before the wedding and then put it in assorted vases on each table (this was also inspired by Pinterest). We also had yellow, white and black paper lanterns hanging and had yellow sashes at the “head table” (where Eric and I sat with our parents).

Renting chair covers was super expensive so we decided to for-go them. I’m happy we did, I think the plain white chairs were a nice touch and helped keep the reception simple.

Amber Eric s Wed 0076

We ended up going with cities in BC for our seating chart/table numbers and printed them on little maps. I’m happy with how that turned out since it was a last minute decision like 3 days before the wedding!

Amber Eric s Wed 0075Amber Eric s Wed 0176

Amber Eric s Wed 0444

Flowers

Other than the flowers used for the centre pieces, the bouquets were the only other significant “decor” that used flowers. I knew when I started wedding planning that I wanted to get married somewhere with incredible natural beauty so I wouldn’t have to worry so much about the decorations and our venue was definitely that!

For bouquets, mine had sunflowers, white daisies and greenery in it. My maid of honour’s bouquet was the same as mine only smaller and the bridesmaids had plain sunflower bouquets.

Amber Eric s Wed 0025

I had envisioned a lighter/paler bridesmaid dress with flowers that popped right from the beginning and it was exactly what I hoped for 🙂

Amber Eric s Wed 0018

Amber Eric s Wed 0149

The boys boutonnieres were also yellow (of course!) and made with little billy balls. I felt like they were more manly than an actual flower! The guys also had yellow socks (which ended up being kind of expensive, but worth it! haha)

Amber Eric s Wed 0028 Amber Eric s Wed 0459

We also had corsages for the mothers and grandmothers and the fathers and grandfathers got the same boutonnieres as the guys. Here’s my mom’s corsage on her hat:

Amber Eric s Wed 0072

Dance!

Right from the beginning of wedding planning I knew I didn’t want a cake but cupcakes instead. Over the past 16 months that transformed into having a dessert table. I literally could not be happier with how this turned out. Looking at the photos makes me giddy!

Amber Eric s Wed 0394

Amber Eric s Wed 0386 Amber Eric s Wed 0388

Amber Eric s Wed 0385 Amber Eric s Wed 0384

Amber Eric s Wed 0198 Amber Eric s Wed 0358

Amber Eric s Wed 0172

Amber Eric s Wed 0193

And finally, we have the photo booth. I wavered back and forth on getting a photo booth for months due to the high cost. In the end I managed to work out a great deal with our wedding planner and we did an “open air” photo booth where the photos did NOT print for our guests (she mailed a disc to Eric and I after the wedding) and we got it for a really good deal! It was also a HUGE HUGE hit with our guests and I can tell by looking through the photos that people had a blast using it so I’m very glad we decided to get one!

Photobooth

I think that’s pretty much it for the details from our wedding! When thinking of ideas for the wedding or thinking about words that I wanted to represent it the things I constantly kept in mind were sunflowers, yellow, summer and FUN! I would definitely say all those things were taken care of 🙂

***

In other news, I am starting to get back into the swing of things and feeling less mopey since the wedding. We’ve spent the entire weekend working on our kitchen tiling project (and it’s still not done). We also have some fun get togethers with friends to look forward to in August and I booked off 2 days in September so we can go home to FSJ over Labour Day weekend, and we’re taking Chloe! I still need to finish our Thank You cards but I need one more image back from the photographer before I can order them. Hoping to get those done this weekend!

I hope you all had a fabulous weekend and enjoyed the wedding recap posts 🙂

Question of the day: What kinds of details were important to you at your wedding and/or what details do you notice at other peoples weddings?

I love all your details! That’s what I noticed first when I started looking at your wedding photos. I went to a wedding earlier in the summer that was sunflowers and it just made the wedding. Yellow is so fun and happy! I especially love the yellow straws and the yellow/black lanterns in the tent

I loved all your details, everything was so beautiful! I am not a detail person at all so I usually only notice details that I want to take a picture of, and/or effect me in any way. I used to notice flip flops at receptions but now I usually just wear my nice flip flops to weddings. I also like to drink a lot of water at the end of the night so I like when that is easy to get (which at yours it definitely was!). I loved loved your signs and the cute met, engaged, married thing your mom made. I also loved loved the sunflowers and all the yellow. So beautiful.

I love this post! Details make my heart happy!

See? I told you you needed a project after the wedding to channel your energy into – hello re-tiling kitchen floor! 🙂

Hope you get to relax a bit today!

4. Melissa says:

Loooooooove your details so much. I’m actually so amazed at how everything just came together so well. Pinterest was clearly a great idea here!! I think my favorite detail of all is the fact that your puppy and your kitty made it onto the top tier of your cupcakes with you and Eric- how freaking cute is THAT.

5. April says:

The details are all so pretty!! I think they are probably the best part (in photographs at least)! You are BRAVE having red candy apples anywhere even near your wedding dress, haha! I wouldn’t be surprised if some of these photos didn’t end up on Pinterest 🙂

6. Allison says:

I LOVE your details. You have so many! The details were super stressful for me, but looking back, it really is what makes your wedding YOUR wedding, as opposed to just a cookie-cutter magazine wedding. I love yours. Beautiful!

I think my favorite thing that I notice at weddings: the uniqueness that each couple has. I do tend to notice the music, desserts and centerpieces because I love that stuff! And lighting. I’m a sucker for any kind of white lights/lanterns, etc.

Since I’m Italian and marrying into a German family food is a HUGE deal. So there is a big emphasis on food, drink and music selection as that’s key to a celebration (well, in my “culture,” anyway). I am also working hard on the centerpieces and the overall ambience, working to bring it all together and trying to do things a little bit differently/unique. I think It’s all going to work out, at least I hope so 🙂

I love the “Met, Engaged, Married” idea! And I really wanted personalized M&M’s, but decided against them.
    I love seeing all the little details at weddings. You can always tell how much work someone puts into them when there’s beautiful little details!
    I don’t think I put too much effort into little details at my own wedding. Mind you, I didn’t know about Pinterest until after I got married. If I knew about it before, it would be a whole different story!

9. I loved all the details from your wedding! I especially loved the lemonade stand and the photo booth. I hadn’t seen either at a wedding before and thought they were cool touches. And the lemonade was definitely a hit!

I am sad to say I did not put a wish on your wish tree. 🙁 Bridesmaid fail…

I will usually remember the music from people’s weddings because I am a big music person. And if they have small touches, like a photobooth, that will stand out in my memory. Other than that, I more so remember experiences from people’s weddings, like watching the groom watch the bride walk down the aisle, or the dad crying when he gave his daughter away, or fun dances on the dance floor! But I will remember alot from your wedding because it all came together so beautiful. I just love the sunflower decor and thought the bouquets were gorgeous!

10. Shoshanah says:

I love this post and I don’t even know where to start! First the ceremony location is absolutely stunning. I think with such a background to be married in front of you really didn’t need a lot of decoration. I love the wish tree and just the whole set-up. But my favorite details have to be the lemonade and the dessert table.

11. Travel Spot says:

I really like the idea of the lemonade stand and the desert table. I am not a huge fan of cake, but I would have totally eaten one of those candy apples!

12. That dessert table is absolutely GORGEOUS! These little details are all really, really cool and could be in a bridal magazine. You are a great wedding planner!

13. I love how much the yellow really pops out there. Great choice. They say the devil is in the details, but you really pulled out something special there, and it’s in the little things. Beautiful.

14. I LOVED all these details, Amber! You really thought of so many fun aspects to include! Sounds like a wedding planner was a great idea. I’m sure it relieved a lot of stress off your plate for certain things.

Oh, and my aunt has been reading your updates after I linked to your blog on your wedding day. She’s wondering what you guys had for dinner. 🙂

Your photos are beautiful, and I loved reading about all the tiny details – that’s something I definitely didn’t think about when it came time to planning our wedding!

16. Sarah says:

Great recap, I love all the details! I am so impressed you have all your recaps done. I’ve been married almost 2 months and I still have 3 to go (granted I have not been very consistent). 😉

17. Chanel Jibal says:

So beautiful! Love those flowers and those socks… well i just love everything!!!

18. Hayley says:

Gorgeous wedding, Amber! I love the yellow colour scheme, and if I had it my way I would have gone with a yellow and grey scheme instead of the green and grey we chose. I love seeing all of the pictures!

We still have not finalized our thank-you cards, and are having a difficult time deciding where to order from. Where are you ordering yours from?

19. […] all know how much I love wedding details and my favourite detail about Katie’s wedding was the self-serve slurpie station they had set […]