Our Honeymoon: Part I

Hope everyone had a great weekend! I had an awesome and perfect summer weekend which I will be blogging more about later this week! However, I realized over the weekend that I never wrote my honeymoon recap post! Whoops. It’s two parts long and here is part one, only a month late. 😉

***

We decided to keep our honeymoon local and spend it on Vancouver Island (I blogged our itinerary here) so the morning after our wedding we said goodbye to as many people as possible (some we missed because they left super early to catch the ferry) and then we jumped in the car and headed to catch our ferry up the island as well. I remember feeling quite sad as we drove away from the resort because it was hard to say bye to our friends and family who had traveled from all over the continent to be with us – we won’t be seeing many of them for quite some time!

We had to catch two ferries that day to get from the coast to the island and had a bit of a lapse between the two so had some time to kill in Powell River, which was a really cute little town. We had a yummy lunch together and then enjoyed the view while waiting for the ferry.

DSC 0126

We spent the first night of our honeymoon in Qualicum Beach. A beautiful little oceanside town! We were exhausted so we ordered takeout pizza to eat at our B&B and then proceeded to sleep for 12 hours straight! We missed the breakfast part of our B&B… whoops!

DSC 0132 DSC 0135

On our way to Tofino the next day we stopped by Coombs, which is the coolest little place! They have an emporium with all these stone animals outside of it (and wooden carvings inside) and a market called “Goats on the Roof” which literally has goats living on the roof! I’m so glad we stopped here.

DSC 0148 DSC 0152

DSC 0145

After a few hours driving on the twisty, turny road we arrived in Tofino! It was super foggy when we first got there about 3 pm so we got settled into our cabin and went to check out the beach area behind it. Our cabin was so amazing and romantic. It had a loft bed and a little kitchenette area as well as these huge picture windows with a view of the beach!

DSC 0183 DSC 0184

DSC 0185

Our first night there we decided to just grab some groceries and relax at our cabin. We ended up having a little picnic on the beach and it was perfect!

DSC 0188

And when the sun came out it was stunning.

DSC 0195

After our picnic we decided to climb up onto the rocks to the right of the beach and watch the sunset. It was the perfect way to spend our first night there.

DSC 0217

DSC 0213

DSC 0211 DSC 0223

And all the above photos were taken just a few steps away from our beachside cabin. Heaven!

The following morning we were up bright and early to go on a kayaking tour! Eric and I had rented kayaks two years ago when we visited Bowen Island and loved it!! At first we were planning on each having our own single kayak but when we got there all the other couples were signing up for a double and we figured since it was a 4-hour tour it might be better off going that route. Big mistake, the guides don’t dub it the “divorce kayak” for nothing 😉 Let’s just say our brand new marriage was tested a bit that day. Things got a lot better when Eric took over the steering! haha

Anywaysss, the tour was wonderful! It was really foggy to start out but then the fog lifted and it was so beautiful! We also saw SO much wildlife on our tour, including a seastar, a sea otter (that swam like 5 feet in front of us) and like five or six bald eagles that were flying overhead the entire time! So awesome!

DSC 0237

DSC 0243

We also got to see some really old trees! 2,000-years-old to be exact!

DSC 0251 DSC 0262

DSC 0274

After our kayaking tour we proceeded to eat a HUGE seafood lunch complete with mussles, four different kinds of oysters and calamari! Then we headed to the Pacific Rim Trail for some hiking in the rainforest and to check out Long Beach.

DSC 0279

DSC 0285 DSC 0296

Even though the sun had come out in the area where we were kayaking it was still super foggy on Long Beach. Fun to check out though as it’s a HUGE beach!

DSC 0299 DSC 0304

After a long and busy day we ended up having dinner back at our cabin and watching a movie to rest up the plans we had for the next day, which I’ll blog about in tomorrow’s recap of the last half of our honeymoon 🙂

Our overall thoughts on Tofino is that it’s a beautiful place when the sun is shining, but it’s so hit or miss for sunshine. In four full days there we probably got about eight hours of sunshine, which really isn’t much and the fog is kind of depressing!

Have you ever been to Tofino?

1. Wow, your pictures are just stunning. I think it is awesome that you spent your honeymoon in the area. Clearly there is so much to see and do in BC!

I have never been to Tofino, but these pictures make me want to visit! That is too bad about it not being super sunny!

So pretty! And the “divorce” kayak? I laughed out loud for that one. Can’t wait to see more pics!

Haha the divorce kayak is maybe not the best way to spend your honeymoon haha- Eric and I have never shared kayaks and perhaps now we will not 🙂
    Your pictures are so gorgeous, I love them. It’s too bad that you guys had so little sun. Is that normal for Vancouver Island in general? I think it was pretty nice down in Vancouver at that point and i know they get a lot of rain. It’s hard with that whole area, I love Seattle and Vancouver but I’m sure I wouldn’t love them as much in the fog/rain!

• I had to reply to your comment and just add that the first 5-6 times I visited Vancouver it was rainy/foggy and I never saw the mountains. I was convinced people were lying about the views! 😛

And the West Coast of Vancouver Island tends to have somewhat unpredictable weather. August is particularly bad – hence why the locals call it Fogaust!

4. Bronwyn says:

Looks so gorgeous there. Hahaha, I love that the guides nicknamed the kayak “the divorce kayak”… can totally see that, considering any time I share a boat with someone there is some arguing…But really beautiful.

We’ve never been but it’s on our list of places to visit – it looks beautiful! We really need to spend more time in BC 🙂

Aw! I love the photo of you and Eric at sunset! So cute : ) The story about the divorce kayak gave me a chuckle because my most memorable fight with my boyfriend was in a kayak hahah

7. How cute! Staying close to home is so much easier than honeymooning abroad. Looks like you guys had a bunch of fun.

Beautiful photos. Looks like a great time!

Tofino is on my “BC Bucket List!” I realllly want to go there one day – I’m trying to convince Kyle that we should go there for our fifth wedding anniversary, providing we can dump the kid(s?) off at a grandparent’s house, lol.

10. I think Tofino would be such an amazing honeymoon spot. I’ve never been there, but I really want to go. It looks gorgeous.

11. Great honeymoon destination!!! I’ve never been there, but you make me want to check it out!

So beautiful! Glad you survived the divorce kayak. I have noted that we should perhaps not rent a two-person kayak on our honeymoon in a few months. 🙂 Photos are stunning and you both look so happy in all the photos. This makes me happy!

Such a gorgeous location for your honeymoon! Glad that you guys survived the “honeymoon” kayak! Haha

14. What beautiful pictures! I have never been to Tofino, but would love to visit someday. 😉

15. I’ve been to Tofino multiple times and you’re right – the difference between fog and sun is drastic!!!

The first time I went was with the Husband (then the Boy), and the weather was fantastic. We stayed in Tofino proper and spent most of our time in the Chesterman Beach variety. The weather could not have been better!!!!!

The next time I came back, I stayed with a bunch of law school peeps at a massively overpriced property on Cox Beach. Still good but not as glorious as the first time I went.

The third time I went was with my parents and it was raining, cold, and totally socked in. Totally disappointing because Long Beach (as you know) doesn’t look remotely as impressive in bad weather. The highlight of that particular trip was our meal at the Wick!

I would like to go back to Tofino but I’m not sure I’ll actually stay there. In part, because we haven’t been since we got Daisy and I don’t know that she’s allowed in the park. And honestly, she loves beaches so much it would be a shame to leave her at home. Also, I find Tofino really overpriced . . . both in terms of accommodations and food. Plus, there are similar type of places on the West Coast of the Island (accessible from roads that originate in the Victoria area and don’t necessitate criss-crossing the Island) that are just as beautiful and a lot less crowded.

lol I just realized it sounds like I’m not a fan . . . which isn’t true! I think Tofino is one of those places people should visit at least once. I’ve just been enough times that I’m ready to explore other areas! 🙂

PS: I LOVE the picture windows in your rental!!!

16. Shoshanah says:

I love that you went to Long Beach on your honeymoon, because that’s where I grew. Long Beach in California that is! Ha! But it looks like you guys had a great time, and I completely understand why you wouldn’t want to come back.

17. Travel Spot says:

That looks beautiful; it reminds me of home! We have a beautiful ocean as well, but it’s not always very warm! I keep thinking about buying a kayak and going on the weekends! It looks like you guys had fun and if you survived the divorce kayak, I am sure you will do well the rest of the time!

18. Loved your photos and reading about your adventures. It’s funny, but if I think back to our honeymoon, it was the unplanned moments that turned out to be the most memorable.