On our wedding location

I originally wrote about choosing our wedding venue here over a year ago!

{Source}

Nine times out of ten when we tell someone our wedding location the response is: “oh, did one of you grow up there?” Nope! I would consider our wedding a ‘destination wedding’ since the closest people coming are 2.5 hours away with the majority coming from approx. 600 – 1,500 km away and many flying in for the occasion. Our family and friends are spread out all over the continent so there really wasn’t a “central” place we could have had the wedding. Our hometown would have meant a lot of travel for all our friends, the city we currently live in would have meant a lot of travel for family and to be honest we didn’t feel particularly tied to either of those places anyways. We have guests coming from Fort St. John, Prince George, Kamloops, Kelowna, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa, Newfoundland, Minneapolis, Boston and Germany!

The other factor that played into our decision is I’ve always wanted to get married on the ocean. Ever since I was a little girl I’ve felt this pull towards it. I was obsessed with sea animals and decorated my room in the theme when I was 9, I have a dolphin tattooed on my ankle and I just love everything to do with the ocean! While getting married barefoot on a beach in Mexico, Jamaica or Italy sounded amazing, romantic and perfect, I knew it would mean forgoing the attendance of most of our dear family members and friends. So I decided to choose an oceanfront location that many could drive to. While it is still more costly for our guests than if we’re having a local wedding I’ve had several people tell me that they are treating it as their vacation for the year, which makes me all kinds of happy. I am 100% certain after visiting the Sunshine Coast and venue myself in March that they will not be disappointed about coming to the area for their vacation. It is so incredibly beautiful!

There has been the occasional disgruntled comment that’s floated back to me about why we chose a place that was so far away or so “inconvenient”. I guess what annoys me about some of those comments is that if we’d chosen a venue in, say, Mexico I doubt anyone would say anything about it because it is so common for people to do destination weddings now-a-days. But our not quite local, not quite destination wedding seems strange to some, I suppose.

I would be lying if I said I hadn’t gotten a few disappointing no RSVP’s due to the distance and/or cost of traveling to our wedding. Because I have. But I’ve rarely doubted our location choice. I just know our wedding is going to be beautiful, amazing and completely perfect for us. I can’t wait to celebrate with the 80ish family and friends who are making the trek for it! In the end, that’s all that really matters.

1. I fly out 4 WEEKS FROM TODAY!! 🙂

I am super excited for your wedding. I was talking to a manager in my company’s Seattle office this week and mentioned your wedding and he said the place you are having your wedding is incredibly beautiful and that I will love it! I am super excited. I’ve always wanted to attend a ‘destination wedding’. I know it’s tough to face the disappointments of RSVPs and rude comments, but it’s going to be such an awesome day. And it’s true to you and Eric as a couple and what you envisioned!

Wow that pictures is absolutely gorgeous. I’m so excited for you! And I can’t believe someone is coming from Germany!! That’s awesome. I like your decision to have a “destination wedding,” I think you should be married somewhere that means something to you!

3. erin says:

you know i had a destination wedding, and i would do it all over again. and having disappointing RSVPs will happen no matter where you have your wedding! i’m certain that the people who go to your wedding, will be thoroughly enjoying themselves!

i know my family and friends really enjoyed aruba, and it was nice to see everyone in a relaxed state of mind for most of it.

4. Raquelita says:

It’s a gorgeous location! I’m pretty sure (even though I didn’t have a destination wedding some of my friends have) that some people will grumble no matter what or RSVP no if they have to travel.

5. lisa says:

Focus on the positives and enjoy your day!

I think your wedding venue is absolutely beautiful 🙂 I showed it to Nathan and am trying to convince him we need to make a trip there next year!

7. Britt says:

We got the same “did you grow up here??” question about getting married outside either of our hometowns. Your wedding location is stunning. It’s going to be a fantastic day 🙂

8. Bronwyn says:

I love your venue. Perhaps you aren’t doing a traditional “destination wedding” but I really like the idea of going somewhere close, but still far. Plus it’s absolutely gorgeous!

I think when it comes to weddings, grumpy family/friends will find something to complain about no matter what. And just remember that those who are going are choosing to be there with you and Eric on your wedding day because they want to. {side note: really wish I could have made it work to come! } Can’t wait to see all of the pictures! 🙂

10. I happen to think you picked an absolutely beautiful location that is so iconically BC! 🙂 As for the grumps who complain – the day is about you and not about them. Remember that! Drink in ever moment because it will all go by so very quickly!

And for the record, you still get people bailing on you even when you go to Mexico. I had a couple of super disappointing no-shows. They were particularly disappointing because they were the people I had most expected would show-uip. But in the end, we prayed and realized that those that were meant to be there would be there. That’s exactly how it turned out and I wouldn’t have had it any other way! 😉

BTW, one of my Toronto friends (and a fellow blogger) recently went to your resort with her mom. Her post solidified my impression that it’s a gorgeous place I really ought to visit with the Husband: http://aleggup.blogspot.ca/2012/04/how-to-truly-unwind.html

PS: I can’t wait to see your pictures!!!!

• MissAmber says:

Thanks for sharing that post!! I love to hear about other people raving about the resort 🙂

11. Here’s the thing about weddings. They’re uniquely special to the bride and groom. That means, various people will dislike decisions you’re making about your wedding. So, you can choose to coddle others (and stray away from your own vision) or you can stick to your vision and let others digest it. It’s really not about them. Trust me, if you had a destination wedding in Mexico, you would’ve heard the same comments and gotten similar RSVPs. Travel is hard for a lot of people for a lot of reasons – but, you can’t have your wedding in everyone’s backyard. So, you picked the perfect place for the two of you and you’ll be surrounded by love when you get married. That’s what really matters.

12. Your location is going to be amazing. And when I saw those tent hotel rooms, whew, I was blown away. I’m bummed it’s not going to work out with the proximity to my brother’s wedding and finances, but would love to be there and I can’t wait to see the pics. You guys picked an awesome spot.

13. I imagine that is REALLY hard to face those “no’s.” I get disappointed when people click “NO” on my Books ‘n Bars invites, so I can only IMAGINE what this feels like. Especially with a small wedding and a limited guest list!

All that being said, I agree with Lisa’s comment and your wedding just seems so YOU and and I’m assuming much like Eric too 😉 I cannot wait to see pictures and cannot believe it is almost here!!

14. I so wanted to get married barefoot on a beach, but I wanted my four grandparents there. And since 3 of them have since died, I am soo glad I did. Instead, I got married in flipflops outdoors about 40 minutes from where most our family andfriends lived. Loved it. and i got to be barefooton a beach for my honeymoon in jamaica. 😉

15. Solana says:

Amber,
    Don’t fret, we experienced the same sort of issues with our wedding, since we are from Vancouver (Burnaby), and wanted a semi-destination wedding. We ended up choosing The Beach Club Resort in Parksville, on Vancouver Island, which required 95% of our guests to take a ferry. We also got the “are you from there” question a lot. Your venue is gorgeous, and your vision is exactly that, YOUR vision. People will always have complaints, but you have to focus on the people who are making the effort to be there. It will be an amazing day, either way.

16. Melissa says:

The destination you chose looks gorgeous! My brother got married in Mexico two years ago and it was extremely expensive for guests. It kind of frustrated me at first, but it was so worth it. The people who are making the trek for you will have such a great time, destination weddings really ARE a great experience!!

17. I think the location you chose is absolutely beautiful. I like that you picked a place thats really not all that far away (despite the odd complaint you said you’ve gotten). This is like a best of both worlds kind of scenario. I could see doing something similar when I get married.

I am one of those people who is making it my vacation of the year and I am super excited about it!!! I have a friend who is in a similar situation to you where when she does gt married basically everywhere is going to be a destination for some one, in that case it just makes sense to me to pick a place you both love and people will enjoy visiting 🙂 ours was technically kind of destination too but only about a two hour drive, still some people said no but what can you do 🙂 you won’t notice that day I promise!

19. After seeing the pics you posted last year, I was amazed by the beauty of this location! You won;t regret it!
    Time’s flying…it’s just a month away now, right?

20. Caz says:

I’ve flown (or will fly) from Australia for two of my bff’s weddings in the past 4 years. Yes I’ve also had to miss 4 more 🙁 Unfortunately having to travel makes it difficult but regardless the people to whom it is important will make it there. I think you’ve done a good job of making it as accessible as possible for everyone involved.

21. Shoshanah says:

One of the boy’s close friends, his best man actually, is getting married next week in the British Virgin Islands, and we’re not going. We would have loved to be able to go, but having it a only a few months before ours just makes it so hard financially. So while I love the idea of having a destination wedding, and for a lot of people (mainly my friends and relatives) our wedding will be a destination wedding. But it does suck being on the other side not being able to travel to a wedding that you’d love to be able to attend.

22. Sarah Alway says:

Choosing the right venue is a tough one but so important and once you’ve chosen it’s such a huge weight off your shoulders because it really sets the tone for the entire event. Congrats on your engagement!

23. Anais says:

I am completely in love with the destination as well! I think it’s a great choice for a venue – it’s far away enough that it is destination (which makes it sound so fun), but really it’s not THAT far 🙂 We are so looking forward to it!!!! 🙂

24. Travel Spot says:

No matter what, you are going to inconvenience somebody! So you can’t please everyone, so you may as well please yourself. The people who can’t make it due to the location can come and visit you some other time! I mean, yes, this is a very important day, but it’s the day to day love through the years that really counts. If they miss this one day, you are not going to hate them, and they should be equally as patient about your choice of venue, and since your hometown or current town are more convenient to them, they can pop over pretty easily at a different time.

People will complain regardless of where your wedding is. Your wedding location is gorgeous and I would much prefer to go there than to another all-inclusive destination wedding in Mexico. While Mexico is gorgeous, your location is beautiful and unique.

My in-laws are against destination weddings because they feel they exclude people. Maybe they do but ultimately the wedding is about the bride and groom. Thankfully I wanted a big local church wedding so their opinion was moot but it would have been hard if that was our dream.

I can’t wait to see all your wedding pictures and all the details of your big day! Forget about the silly comments that just take away from the anticipation of this special day.