Honeymoon Details!

I briefly talked about our honeymoon (and the fact that I’d booked it) in this post and then haven’t really mentioned it since.

A couple of weeks ago we firmed up all the details for our honeymoon itinerary (at least as far as dates and where we’re staying). After a bit of deliberation we decided to take off for our honeymoon the day after our wedding. Most of our guests will be dispersing from the resort at that point anyways. Deciding where to go for our honeymoon was a tough decision. With our Monday wedding we had exactly one week between the day after the wedding and when we had to be back at work for a honeymoon. I didn’t really want to spend two of those days traveling anywhere and Eric isn’t exactly a fan of flying as it is. So we decided to stay in Canada and spend our honeymoon on beautiful Vancouver Island, specifically in Tofino, BC. The roadtripping part of the honeymoon seems so much more relaxing, laidback and us than anything!

Qualicum beach bc

Qualicum Beach {Source}

So the morning after the wedding (July 10) when most of our guests are heading down the coast to get back to Vancouver to catch flights, or begin the drive home, we will be heading up the coast to take two ferries from the Sunshine Coast to Vancouver Island. We will then spend the first night of our honeymoon in a little B&B in Qualicum Beach, BC. The next day after a leisurely breakfast and perhaps a stroll on the beach we will make the 3-hour trek to Tofino, BC where we will spend the next four nights. I rented a rustic private cabin for us to stay in with a loft bed, our own kitchenette, a hot tub, huge windows and steps away from Tonquin Beach in Tofino, which is a smaller, more private beach there.

Screen shot 2012 06 21 at 10 06 59 PM

Tonquin Beach {Source}

I haven’t planned out our exact activities in Tofino yet but I am hoping for lots of walks on the beach, wine in the hot tub at night, hiking in the Pacific Rim forest, going golfing, a surfing lesson, a kayak outing and some delicious food. Ha, not too bad for 4 nights and 3 days, right? I did promise Eric this vacation would be more relaxing than some of the busier, whirlwind ones we’ve taken in the past so I need to hold up my part of that deal!

Tofino kayak Some Good Adventure

Kayaking in Tofino {Source}

After 4 nights in Tofino we will drive back down the coast to Victoria and spend our last night of our honeymoon in the Fairmont Empress hotel in Victoria! I have visited Victoria twice before and absolutely LOVE the city. Eric has never been so I’m excited for him to see it!

And finally, on Monday, July 16 we will make the trek from Victoria back to Kamloops. Luckily I have one more day off of work after that to get settled and organized 🙂

Empress

The Empress {Source}

So that’s our honeymoon! It’s a lot of traveling by car, but we are taking the mini cooper which is a super fun little car to drive and I have it split up enough (other than on the very last day) that I don’t think we’ll be overloaded with driving. The most we’ll be doing is 3-5 hours a day (other than our long trek home from Victoria) which is not bad. I think that doing a road trip like this for our honeymoon will be very fun and I’m also really excited to explore some of the most beautiful parts of the West Coast of Canada!

Screen shot 2012 06 21 at 10 17 46 PM

Screen shot 2012 06 21 at 10 17 23 PM

Sooo, if anyone has traveled any of these places before I would love to hear your advice on must-do things to see or places to eat!

Do you ever take a big-ish vacation in your own country or province (or state)? This will be the first big-ish vacation Eric and I take together where we don’t leave the country! I think it will be great 🙂

That sounds so perfect! You guys are going to have an amazing time : )

2. I think this sounds so perfect! There is so much to see and do in that area, it makes sense to stick around and check out all that area has to offer. I think you are going to have an awesome time and will be glad you don’t have to fly (especially since Eric hates flying!). I can’t wait to see pictures of the area. And that is awesome that you will be returning to VIctoria!

3. Lindsey says:

In College and University when we could not afford to go far our summer holidays was always going out to Shuswap Lake and going houseboating (my father in law owns a couple), it was tons of fun, we’d also usually spend a few days in Kelowna after too.

This is going to be such a great honeymoon! Ever since I started researching the area I have wanted to go there but sadly it won’t fit into our trip this time. The past few years I have been staying in the country on most trips and I’ll be using my passport for the first time in five years coming up to your wedding, I think. Your Eric and I would not be good travel buddies, I hate driving and sitting in the car. I would much rather fly, not that I love it but it’s just faster and the pressure is off I guess!

You guys are going to have a great, great honeymoon! I’ll try to be extra fast at putting up pictures from your wedding so you can see them before you leave the next day!

5. Erik and I have not really done a lot of big vacations together, actually. We have traveled a lot for short weekends around New England before we were married, and we visited both his family and my family as well for a few days.

Our first big trip together was definitely our honeymoon, which was a week, and that was also in the same country. It actually wasn’t even a new place… I’d been there before as a kid. The second big trip was when we went to Vegas, but that was for a wedding and was only quasi-vacation because we were apart for a lot of it.

It’s expensive to fly out of the country, so I think a lot of people stay in the US, or even in the same region.

6. Melissa says:

Your honeymoon sounds AMAZING! Even though it’s more relaxing, that sounds like just what you guys need after all this wedding planning. The pictures you put are already gorgeous, I can only imagine the beautiful ones you’ll be coming home with! Can’t wait to read all about it 🙂

That sounds like a great honeymoon! I’ve always wanted to go to Tofino and have heard it’s beautiful!

8. We drove from NY to Michigan for a wedding. It was over a 12 hour drive. On the way home, we took it slow and really enjoyed road tripping. And we got engaged. For our honeymoon though, we’re just staying local and going to NYC. It’s in between our wedding destination (my home town) and where we are living now.

9. Sounds like the perfect honeymoon considering your stipulations for your time away! We’ve taken a number of big trips in the U.S., including annual road trips from Chicago to Cape Cod (17-20 hour drive).

10. Solana says:

If you stop in Parksville at all there’s a great little restaurant called Bread & Honey that’s just off the main drag that is fantastic, it’s a little bakery/cafe that’s owned by 2 local women and everything is sourced locally & homemade. Also, if you stop in Coombs you get to see the goat that live on the rooftops.

Nathan and I haven’t taken a “big vacation” (or anything more than a weekend in Calgary!) since our honeymoon four years ago. We’re planning to take a couple of weeks next year and go to PEI. either that or Hawaii – whichever is cheaper 🙂

12. Alecia says:

OH WOW!!! You’re travelling through Powell River! That’s my hometown! Hopefully you have some time to explore before you hop on the ferry! It’s really beautiful there!

• MissAmber says:

We are actually going to have three hours to kill in Powell River before we catch the ferry. Any suggestions for things to do?

• Alecia says:

Hmmm, three hours. I guess I would probably suggest driving out towards Townsite. It’s the area where the town first started around where the mill was built. It’s gorgeous! So much history in that area. The Oldest running movie theatre in Canada, there’s old war ships that the mill uses, the mill itself, and the old restored Rodmay Hotel – take a walk through…word is it’s haunted). Normally, I would send people out to Lund because that’s what everyone likes to do….but getting out there takes a while (close to an hour) (it’s the end of Powell River (and also the end of highway 101 which runs all the way to Mexico) and the OPPOSITE end of where you’ll be getting off the ferry).

13. Caz says:

I love Qualicum Beach and Tofino/Uclulet
    We have family friends in QB so I’ve never done much besides visit/walk. But we did visit some caves in the area that were amazing (but don’t be claustrophobic!) -Horne Lake I think?

Also you HAVE to stop in Cathedral Grove on your drive across. The trees there are amazing and there is quite the story.

We surfed with Surf Sisters and they were great (they teach males too don’t worry!) and went sea kayaking (favourite activity ever!)

Breakers Deli is great/cheap-ish.

Uclulet is also well worth a visit (and often much quieter than Tofino)

14. Shoshanah says:

We haven’t planned our honeymoon yet, which is mainly because we aren’t planning on taking one directly after the wedding. But what we are thinking is going to Greece the following June for a delayed, but longer honeymoon, which I’m hoping we manage to make happen!

15. Raquelita says:

This sounds great! Because M. and I got married in January and in the middle of the semester we couldn’t take off time right away to go on our honeymoon. I think it’ll be great that you have that week to yourselves as newlyweds!

16. kelleyn says:

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! The honeymoon sounds perfect! Given you only have a week, I think you will be glad you kept it simple.

17. Wendy says:

Your honeymoon sounds absolutely lovely! There is something to be said to take it easy on the open road and just explore your own country, especially one as beautiful as ours! While our next vacation isn’t in the country (we’re going to Portland next), we do like staying in the country where we can! I’m hoping I can take the husband to Halifax next (I love love love Halifax!), and whenever we decide to move, I hope we can do a big cross country driving trip!

18. I have never taken a big vacation in my own country … I actually haven’t been to too many big cities in Canada.

19. LG says:

No recommendations here, but that sounds like SO MUCH FUN! I love walking around Victoria and hear that Tofino is awesome…

20. Stevie says:

Yay! You will LOVE Tofino. It’s so gorgeous! The hot springs are incredible and the beaches are beautiful. And Victoria is fabulous! Staying at the Empress will be so cool 🙂

21. Travel Spot says:

That sounds awesome. I love that you say you want to go hiking and surfing and golfing and kayaking…BUT this is going to be relaxing! Hahaha. That sounds like a great vacation, but pretty busy!!!

22. wandergirl says:

Sounds fun and romantic! I think honeymooning not far from home is a great idea – it’s very symbolic of starting your life together. Besides, if I lived on Canada’s west coast I don’t know that I’d ever go anywhere else…beautiful! 🙂

23. Maranda Churn says:

It doesn’t have to go through the Adirondacks. In fact, it shouldn’t, independently of all environmental concerns. Going through Vermont is easier (less mountainous terrain) and serves a slightly larger intermediate city (Burlington is larger than Plattsburgh, though both are tiny).

24. […] passed already since our incredible wedding day and night. We always planned to go back to Tofino (where we honeymooned) on our 5 and 10 year anniversaries, but sadly it just wasn’t in the cards for us this year […]