39 sleeps

Screen shot 2012 05 30 at 8 59 40 PM

With the wedding only 39 sleeps (what?!?) away there are very few things that I think about more. Based on my Facebook update after last night’s yoga class I figured I would do a word dump of things and random thoughts going through my mind  right now.

• We really need to write our thank you speech and practice it.
  • We really need to actually practice the dance moves we were taught a few weeks ago.
  • What on earth are we going to do for table numbers?
  • I need to go for my final dress fitting and pay the seamstress.
  • I hope my dress still fits. I’ve been eating like I’m still training for a marathon even though I’m definitely not.
  • We need to buy bridal party gifts.
  • Our ceremony script needs some serious work.
  • We need to create the actual “live” seating chart now that the draft one is done.
  • I hope that person doesn’t hate sitting near this person.
  • Do we divide and conquer to say hi to everyone during the wedding or stick together?
  • The boys are going golfing at 7 am the morning of the wedding. They better be back in time to get ready.
  • I think it takes boys longer to get ready than they think it takes them.
  • I’m going to flip out if the groomsmen do not send me their measurements within the next week.
  • I need to print out photo’s and write down notes from my skype conversation with my hairdresser the other day for when I get my hair coloured at the end of this month.
  • God I hope my hair turns out and doesn’t end up being orange or something.
  • Am I going to have time for a run the morning of the wedding? Where will I run in the middle of nowhere?

***

What random thoughts are going through your brain lately?

Yes you WILL get it all done πŸ™‚ And I will be in Seattle exactly one month from now!!! Wahoo!
    It’s a bit crazy right before your wedding but I promise it will work out and you won’t care about any of this on that day.
    Eric and I generally operate on a divide and conquer type of thing, but for our wedding we did a little receiving line post ceremony (into the cocktail hour)- it took like 15 minutes and we said hi to everyone. I liked that because then I didn’t feel stress to do that once we were in the reception. I would say in general unless I am in a wedding I don’t see a lot of people at the actual wedding, particularly I don’t tend to see the member of the couple I am not as good of friends with- if that makes sense. I am never offended by this- it is CRAZY to really spend good time with everyone, or really anyone at your own wedding πŸ™‚ I didn’t work out on the morning of my wedding even though I wanted to because I didn’t have time. I still think I wish I did so if you have time running a short run might not be bad.
    Finally- let me know if you need help with the ceremony script!

2. Ali says:

I remember the pre-wedding crazy so well! You’ll be through it before you know it. πŸ™‚
    When I read your worries about the boys getting to the wedding on time, I felt I had to share my story. My husband’s groomsmen went hunting for food or something when they should have been showering and getting ready for our 3:30 pm wedding. I don’t think the best man got in the shower until 3:30!!!!! It’s a good thing they were staying in an apartment across the street from the park we were getting married in. So, my dad, MOH, bridesmaid, and I had to wait for 15 min for the boys to show up! I remember getting upset (not to the point of tears though. Phew.). It retrospect, it wasn’t a good idea to leave the three guys on their own given that all three are rarely on time for anything. Ever.
    The best part was that after my dad walked me down the aisle I turned to my soon-to-be husband and said “Glad you finally made it.”. Most people laugh and my mother was horrified. I like to tease my hubby about it occasionally. Like on our anniversary! Almost eight years later, it’s given us a good story and didn’t really ruin the wedding. (neither did having our wedding rings and engagement rings stolen the night before. And that made for an even better story!)

This lengthy comment is all to say, the wedding is just a day, the marriage is the rest of your life. Laugh at the bumps on your wedding day and enjoy the ride!

3. I have been to so so so many weddings and I have never been unhappy with who I sat by. I have sat by complete strangers or good friends or people I barely know and I have always enjoyed myself so don’t stress over the seating!

No matter what happens, it’s going to be a great day! The nice thing about having a smaller wedding is that it’s easier to get around and say hi to everyone!

If you want to run on your wedding day, I will run with you… but – I will tell you what I told my sister… It’s going to be a VERY long day! So just really think hard about whether it’s worth getting up earlier and foregoing a little extra sleep for that run. Abby ended up not doing it, which I was glad about as we had hair appointments around 7 am and the wedding ended that night at midnight… so it was a long day!

4. abbi says:

You’ll definitely get it all done, very exciting that it’s coming up!!

Haha you will definitely get it all done! I’m so excited it’s so close!!! πŸ™‚ And if the guys are going golfing you can definitely go for a run! (Although I have one word for you both: sunblock).

6. You can doooooooooooo it. πŸ˜‰ What worked for us, was dismissing people from the wedding together and then during the reception we divided and did our own thing.

7. Katrina says:

If you go for a run I will come with you too!!! Its so close and yes you wll get it all done and no one will be unhappy about who they sit beside, nice thing about a small wedding is that everyone will know each other for the most part and if they don’t then perfect time to get to know them πŸ™‚ I’ve just realised I’ll probably miss most of the ceremony and part of the reception because my kid is WILD right now lol I can’t wait for July to get here πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Right now my only thoughts are next half, training plan and summer plans…..and my babies 2nd bday in less than a month, need to figure out menu, party theme, party bags, order cake….hall and bounce house is rented (hoping to get the permit in time)………kids parties are sooooo fun but lots of work!

39 sleeps! So close, so soon! I can’t imagine you can focus on anything else right now. Woo!

You WILL get it all done and it will be fabulous and I cannot wait for the recaps! Yay!

9. Haha. You sound like me from a year ago! OK, so I have some suggestions:

1. For your table numbers, I did these solid wood numbers that I got from Etsy. I don’t know if that would go with your theme, but they were really nice (check FB for pics). But I think the most popular option I see is getting picture frames and sticking a piece of paper with a number inside. That’s pretty affordable to do and pretty classy.

2. I don’t know if you already did bridal party gifts, but we got our people gift cards. Erik bought $100 gift cards to Amazon, and I bought the ladies $100 gift cards to Sephora. They LOVED them.

3. OK, not a suggestion, but a fact: we didn’t do a thank you speech. I totally forgot about it and no one reminded me that I needed to thank anyone. Of course, we did make the rounds of talking to people and I’m fairly certain we did thank everyone individually, plus thank you cards. I don’t think thank you speeches need to be long either. Honestly, a heart felt “Thank you all so much for being here!” would probably suffice. The real thank yous to parents and such should be done privately, IMO.

4. How many people are coming to your wedding? We had 95 and did a quick walk-around together to the tables during dinner, after we ate, but before the toasts started.

5. There were some things I didn’t even get done until the last WEEK. Time is a powerful motivator for making quick decisions!

• MissAmber says:

We are expecting approx. 70-75 adults and 10-15 kids so hopefully it won’t be too hard for us to greet everyone!

I am pretty sure I will be doing gift cards as well! Good tips, thanks!

39 sleeps?! It’s coming up so quickly! I would have to agree with Lisa….if you are okay giving up sleep and can handle the long day with less sleep, then go for a run. But that day is going to be go, go, go, so it might be nice to just relax the morning of before all of the craziness begins. Just speaking from experience πŸ™‚

About the seating thing….don’t stress yourself out over it. It’s only for dinner and then people will be free to move around and mingle with others. And most of the people coming to the wedding are adults, so they should be able to act like adults if they get stuck with someone they don’t enjoy

11. I’m sure I’ve told you this before, but we totally forgot our thank you speech in the hotel room. We were so thankful (a) we both spent time writing it together and (b) had actually practiced it a few times. We were able to give our thank you speech without notes. And I’m pretty sure we did the whole thing without missing a beat!

Also, before we got married, someone advised us to stick together as much as possible … otherwise, you have two different memories of your own wedding … and it should be about celebrating your union together! We tried as much as possible to be in the same area, talk to people at the same table, etc. It worked really well – I don’t regret a thing!

• MissAmber says:

I like the way you put that “having two different memories of your own wedding”. Not really something we want so we will definitely plan to stick together as much as possible!

12. Wow! It’s so soon! You’ll get it all done, and have an amazing wedding. I mean, how can you not right?

You’ll get it all done – I promise! And make sure the guys wear sunscreen if they’re going golfing!! Especially on their faces! No one wants a sunglasses burn for wedding photos!!

The majority of my random thoughts are all baby-related! Mostly, “I need to buy this still!” I feel totally unprepared.

14. I like receiving lines with both the bride and the groom because then you get a chance to talk to everyone at least once, and like Kelly said, you won’t feel as pressured to get to everyone during the reception and you can enjoy yourself!

You WILL get it all done! Knowing you, it will happen very smoothly!!! πŸ™‚ I say you try to get in a run just so you can feel good and like yourself as much as possible!

Wow, so close! We had a receiving line right after the ceremony – it took a long time but we got to talk to everybody and our photographer snapped pics the whole time – the candid shots were my favourites! We also did gift cards as gifts for the bridal party … If you want to run (and the guys are golfing!) – go for it! It’s your day ~ maybe running will help you relax on the big day?

I don’t have a lot of random thoughts running through my head right now … I finally feel somewhat caught up on life!

16. Wilma says:

Those 39 sleeps will go by quickly and your special day will be here before you know it. You will have everything accomplished and the day will be fantastic. To answer some of your questions though

1. The morning of your wedding do something you truly enjoy, it might be going out for a quick run to clear your mind, yoga or you might just want to go have that one on one breakfast with your mom/gramma the morning of your wedding.

2. Table numbers, I have seen some pretty cool table numbers at Michaels

3. Scared that someone will not enjoy sitting next to someone, we all have to act like grown ups and remember who’s special day it is.

4. Do you mingle separate or together, in my opinion I love when the bride and groom are together greeting their guests.

17. A Super Girl says:

So, being about 6 weeks past my own wedding, I know for sure you’ll get it all done! Some other thoughts:
    – Don’t stress the little stuff. If someone doesn’t like where you seat them, too bad. The boys will get back in time, the measurements will all come in.

– Plan to run if that’s what you want to do, but don’t worry if it doesn’t happen. Maybe you’ll just want to relax. Don’t over-plan yourself.

– Don’t stress too much about the first dance. I was actually glad we didn’t plan a dance or take lessons for our first dance because our darn DJ played the wrong song and we wouldn’t have known how to dance anyway! Obviously, I don’t think your DJ will do that, but I say it to further underscore the point to try not to sweat all the details. Everything comes together in the end, I swear.

Enjoy the last few weeks. It really does fly by and then you’re just married and wishing you could have your wedding day every day!

18. Travel Spot says:

Wow, 39 sleeps. When you put it that way, it sure seems like it is coming right up, doesn’t it!? I think you will have no problem getting it all done, and some of the things, like who sits next to who, are not really that critical. By that I mean, I don’t think the guests mind who they sit next to. Also, as for divide or conquer, I always like it when the couple comes around together, and it sounds like your wedding is small enough to do that. If you wait until everyone is sitting at their tables, you can do it in a more organized fashion. But that is another thing that it probably doesn’t make a big difference one way or the other.

19. Melissa says:

My SIL bought her bridesmaids these beautiful crystal necklaces. I didn’t even KNOW bridal party gifts existed until i got mine! Gift cards are a great idea too but what I liked about the necklace is that it was personalized and I could wear it that day or the day after!

I KNOW you’ll get it all done! I’m so excited for you. There’s so much to get done but now that the date is quickly approaching you’ll just be on constant adrenaline & you’ll get through your whole list. Also? Don’t stress about making people happy about who they sit next to. As long as people are with their family they should be happy. It’s not about them, after all! πŸ˜‰

GOOD LUCK! <3

20. STICK TOGETHER to say hello to everyone. It is your wedding and you should spend it together!!!

You dye your hair? Hubby ran the morning of our wedding! He wasn’t even a “runner” then!

I actually didn’t say anything during our Thank You speech-hubby did all the talking and that’s one thing I regret. I was afraid I would cry though. I’m sure if we wrote it down and practiced it I would have been okay.

I agree- stick together to say hi to everyone- another thing I regret us not doing.

22. Hayley says:

Our wedding is in 8 days!! Eek!!!
    You know, my fiance and I really fretted over the details and it took us an agonizingly long time to decide on even the smallest things (ex. what we would name our tables, and how the table name should look and be displayed).

As we get closer and closer it’s that much easier to decide on things and get ‘er done. heh. Is it bad that at this point I don’t really care if some of our guests don’t like who they are seating next to (not likely since the seating plan was carefully organized)? I mean it’s only a few hours and the guests can get up, mingle and dance! I think I’m just tired of trying to please everyone, because you know what, it’s practically impossible!

Your to-do list is looking great for 39 days out. We still have our vows to write, I need to finalize mine, but my fiance hasn’t started his, thank-you speech (we might just wing this), finalize music selections, wedding day schedule, get our payments & tips sorted, wedding party thank-you gifts (thank you for the gift card idea!!), dry clean fiance’s shirt, rehearsal, slideshow, gather parent & grandparent pictures, put together gift bags and favours……among other things! Whew! It sounds like a lot, but we’ll get it all done.

Actually, if I could get an opinion, I’m trying to decide on which song my wedding party walks down the aisle to. Canon in D, acoustic guitar or The Memory of Trees by Enya. I love Enya, but am worried this song might be a bit powerful for them? I have considered walking down it myself, but thought this might be more romantic:

My final dress fitting is tonight and I get to take it home with me. In fact, I had a change of heart just last week and went with a different dress. haha. I was listening to my family and not to myself. Now that I picked the one I wanted, I feel a huge sense of relief. Good thing I’m renting and the woman I’m working with is so incredibly accommodating and flexible! Whew, sorry for the long-winded response!

• MissAmber says:

I’m SO EXCITED for you! πŸ™‚

My bridal party is walking down to Canon D so I’m partial to that one. But if you love Enya I say go with what you love πŸ™‚ Glad you found a dress you LOVE!!

I hope you’ll email me some photos after your wedding πŸ™‚

• Hayley says:

Thank you Amber!
        Yes, I finally fell in love with my dress. haha. Only took me close to a year!
        I can definitely send you a few pictures. Looking forward to hearing more about your wedding and seeing pictures of yours too!

23. You’ve got a lot going on, Amber, but it will all work out. Exciting that the day is coming so quickly for you guys!!

24. Shoshanah says:

Just reading this is making me freak out a little, and we still have 3 months till our wedding! Yikes!

25. Ahhh yes … so much to think about for a wedding! All the best to you in your final weeks of planning and preparation πŸ™‚

26. Carrie says:

It’s coming up so quickly! My best words of advice are that even though you will probably find the next 5.5 weeks super stressful, everything has a way of just falling into place the last week or so.

27. I have a friend getting married this weekend in Florida, but I haven’t been in on the wedding process. I’m friends with her through my cousin and they’re closer, so she may know more about it. I’m looking forward to it, though. I think summer weddings are the best. πŸ™‚ We’re going to be sitting by someone the bride went to college with. It will be an interesting table, because the girl we’re sitting with used to date one of the groomsmen, and her date is supposed to make said groomsman jealous. It shall be interesting, for sure. I hope everything comes together smoothly. I suspect the groomsmen will be the biggest challenge, lol. Men. Can’t make ’em do anything. πŸ˜‰

I’m a little worried because I sound like this NOW In my head and I have four months to go…so much that I still need to do and yet I can’t seem to pull it all together. I guess I need to get to work on that! All I can say is take a deep breath, relax and know that it will all get done. I know it will. xoxox

29. Timmy says:

Most be both scary and exciting.

30. Timmy says:

Weddings can be stressful but also super fun.