Weekend Away

OK, here is the recap of our weekend away when we FINALLY visited our wedding venue and met with our wedding planner almost exactly a year after booking it!!!! This is a wordy post, be warned 🙂

Friday

Friday morning we dropped Chloe off at the kennel bright and early at 7:30 AM and got on the road to the coast, which is approximately a four hour drive. We were about 30 minutes out of town when I literally gasped out loud and screamed “the hockey tickets!!!” So back to Kamloops we went… I bought these tickets back in September and paid a pretty penny for them. SO GLAD I remembered before we were further out, or worse, already in Vancouver!

Anyways, since we got an early start we still made our 1:20 PM ferry over to the coast despite the delay. Once we got across the ferry it was about a 45-minute drive up the coast to our venue! A beautiful drive along the ocean I might add:

Drive along coast

We started at our wedding planners where we saw a mock set-up of our tables for the reception and met with the bakers who will be doing our cupcakes for the dessert table. Both meetings went great and I am so excited about the decorations we’ll have at the reception and the delicious desserts for our dessert table!

Then it was time for the long awaited venue visit! You guys, it was stunning. Eric and I were both so pleased. It was just as amazing and gorgeous as we’d imagined it would be.

The approximate area where we will be doing our first look:

Boardwalk at rockwater

First look spot

The view from our upgraded honeymoon cabin that night:

View from cabin deck

We met with the wedding manager at the resort and talked some logistical things, met with our JP and talked some more logistical things and took a tour of the resort. It felt good to get some decisions solidified and every single person we met was fantastic!

After saying “see you in 3 months” to our wedding planner we headed back to the cabin to freshen up and then up to the resort restaurant for an amazing dinner. Since we are doing a buffet we weren’t able to try the exact things that are going to be on our menu but we did get a chance to see just how delicious the food is there!

Seafood boulabaise Tomato basil soup

We had a few glasses of wine and enjoyed watching the sun set over the exact spot we’ll be getting married in a few short months. It was a fabulous night!

Rockwater 1

Saturday:

After a very restful sleep in our cabin with the sound of waves crashing against the rocks to lull us to sleep we went up to the resort for breakfast. Again, the food didn’t disappoint! I had eggs benedict with smoked salmon and Eric had crab cakes eggs benedict.

Salmon eggs benny

We got a tour of one of their amazing tenthouse suites before getting on the road back to Vancouver. I admit I was a little sad to leave and can’t wait to go back in three months for the wedding!

We checked into our hotel in Vancouver and headed downtown for some shopping before the Canucks game. Unfortunately it was POURING rain and walking around outside was not the most enjoyable thing so we actually ended up at the arena and hour early and enjoyed a few drinks before the game started. And we visited one of the team stores so Eric could purchase some Canucks apparel!

Canucks team store

We had so much fun at the game despite the extremely obnoxious and drunk guy beside us who felt the need to repeatedly tell us he was from Washington but had been a Canucks fan his whole life and then would apologize for being soooo drunk every five minutes. After the first period I told him maybe he should eat something and when we came back from getting more drinks and using the washroom he was eating a hot dog and calmed down a lot for the rest of the game. Thank god!

Canucks game 205 out of 366

The Canucks won in overtime, by the way! We had SO much fun at the game!

Sunday:

As I mentioned yesterday I woke up tired and a bit hungover on Sunday morning. Luckily Britt was a trooper and met me for a run anyways and I did get to run the gorgeous seawall in Vancouver and preview the last 12ish km of the marathon course which was really fun. Even though I felt like crap it did get me pumped up for the marathon!

206 out of 366

After getting back to the hotel on Sunday Eric and I went for breakfast and got on the road just after 11 am. I saw several people posting photos on Facebook of SNOW in Kamloops (Mother Nature’s April Fools joke?) so Eric and I decided to take the back way home from Vancouver. Further and not a freeway, but also a lot lower elevation and better road conditions.

Drive home 1 Drive home 2

The drive was GORGEOUS and the roads were completely bare but it took us a full 6 hours to get home from Vancouver (it usually takes about 4 – 4.5) so we were home later in the evening than we originally planned. I was exhausted Sunday night and planted myself on the couch where I stayed until Game of Thrones came on and then went straight to bed at 9 PM!

***

And that was our weekend! Insanely busy but also very enjoyable. I love getting away with Eric. We always have so much fun together and I always miss him a little bit that first Monday back to work after we take a vacation together and spend a few full days together.

It was SO great to finally see our wedding venue in person. I can’t wait to be back there saying “I do” in just over three months!!

Question of the day: How was your weekend? What did you do?

Yay! I’m so glad you loved your venue, even though I knew you would. The pictures are GORGEOUS. What does it mean upgraded honeymoon cabin? Does that mean I will not have that beautiful view if I book a cabin? haha.

I just want to say of course the obnoxious drunk guy was from Washington- I swear (some) Americans enjoy making themselves look like idiots whenever they leave the US.. why oh why!? Glad you convinced him to eat… and that you had fun at the game!

This post just made me even more excited (if that’s possible) about this summer!

What a fabulous trip! I’m so glad you are both so happy with your venue – it seems to suit you perfectly! (And you know how I feel about your photos on your way home!)

3. I think it’s so sweet that you miss Eric when you get back from those weekend get aways! Looks like a fabulous venue – I am so excited to see it in person! 3 months is not that long away. And the nice thing is that, assuming you stay in this region, you are not too far from your wedding location and can always return there for special anniversaries and such.

My weekend was pretty good. It felt busy, especially Sat when i went from running to studying to preparing for dinner w/ friends. But they left around 7 so they could get home and put their baby to bed, so I had the rest of the evening to relax. And Sunday was relaxing after studying. I am just hitting my wall over and over and over again each weekend, but I have 2 more months of this studying business and then freedom. 🙂

4. J says:

OMG it looks beautiful! The wedding is going to be so awesome! It is great when everything finally comes together and you are happy with how things are working out! Sounds like an awesome weekend! Someday I hope to get to Vancouver!

5. Seems like everything is falling into place perfectly! The view from your room is amazing, btw. I love it!

6. Katrina says:

WOW even more excited about the wedding!!! LOL Sheldon and I were discussing it on our run last night, excited!!!!

The weekend was FULL of naps….four to be exact! which was Exactly what I needed 🙂

Your venue is SO gorgeous. It really is just amazing.

Glad you guys had a good trip!

Your venue is gorgeous – I LOVE the place where your first look will be 🙂 My weekend was full of Topher snuggles and couch time thanks to a cold/flu we’re still recovering from. At least we’ll be healthy for Easter chocolate!

Your venue is absolutely stunning! I am so glad you loved it. And the food looks amazing!

What a great weekend for you both!

10. Carrie says:

That wedding venue is GORGEOUS! As is the scenery in BC, such a beautiful place! Thanks for sharing the pics.

11. Kyria says:

That’s so cool that you got to do that; it’s almost like a pre-honeymoon! The place you will be staying for your honeymoon is beautiful! I could just sit on that deck for days! I’ve been to the west coast of Canada and I thought it was so beautiful. I would love to go back there and explore more someday. I also really enjoyed Vancouver! I bet you are going to have a fabulous time during your marathon there!

12. How amazing!!! That venue is gorgeous! I cannot wait to see pictures of your wedding!!!

This weekend I spent it working, reading, ran my 4 miles (per the schedule) and just relaxed! Did not studying and am regretting it now! :/

13. Bronwyn says:

It looks like an amazing venue! So glad it’s as beautiful in real life as it looked on all those photos. Soooo jealous you were in Van!!! Can’t wait for my next visit there. 🙂 My weekend was not exciting, getting caught up on work, being lazy…

14. Melissa says:

The venue looks sooooooooooooo beautiful! I’m so happy for you guys 😀

Overall sounds like you had a great weekend & I hope it did renew your excitement for wedding planning and all that jazz.

Can’t wait to hear more about the wedding. It’s so weird hearing all about it online when I feel like we’ve all had the chance to follow you on this journey, but such is the blog world, hehe 🙂

15. Morgan says:

Looks like you had a great trip and your venue is amazing!!!!!

These photos are breathtaking. I can only imagine how your wedding pictures are going to turn out. EEE!!! Your weekend sounds like it was jam-packed with lots of productive stuff on the wedding front but also lots of relaxation and fun memories with Eric. Woo!

It looks like you had a wonderful weekend and your wedding location is great! It’s going to be a fantastic wedding!

18. Your venue looks amazing! And the view from the cabin!! Oh AND THE TENT SUITES – I clicked over and holy moly. I would love to come, but am still trying to figure out if that will work since we’ll be out of town/work a week before for my brother’s wedding. I may just end up driving myself the 10 hrs up there. Who knows. Anywho, what a beautiful place.

This post made me so happy!! I’m so excited for your guys, the wedding venue looks absolutely gorgeous!!

20. Hayley says:

Yay! I’m so glad you and Eric were able to see the venue, and even better that you loved it. Although, how could you not? 🙂 These next 3 months will fly by. We are now a few days over 2 months away and I’m getting pretty nervous. We still have a ton to do, but we were pretty productive this past weekend and got our marriage license(!), guest book – pictures selected, layout determined and ordered, and we are thisclose to choosing our last vendor, the videographer. Things are coming together but I tell you I will feel a wave of relief once it’s all over. I’m really looking forward to it, but this last year has been pretty stressful. Can’t wait to see your pictures!

21. I’m so glad you had a good weekend, and your wedding venue looks amazing. Your wedding pictures are going to be so fantastic. 🙂
    Those tenthouse suites are supposed to be pretty fantastic. A girl I work with stayed there in the summer and she loved it.

22. Beautiful is an understatement. You’re going to have an amazing wedding!

It’s funny – when Kyle and I went to a Canucks game last year we were stuck beside an obnoxious, drunk fan too, expect he was cheering for Detroit!

I’m surprised it took you 6 hours to drive through the Fraser Canyon – did you stop anywhere on the way through? It is a gorgeous drive though! When I was little that’s the way we went to get to Vancouver.

24. So glad that you remembered the tickets! Your wedding venue looks incredibly stunning! I am so bummed that I won’t be there with you to celebrate but I know it is going to be such a beautiful time for you and Eric. I cannot wait to see your pictures.

25. Stevie says:

Oh my gosh, your venue is absolutely beautiful! How could you not love a place with such beauty? Your wedding photos will be phenomenal – and so will the wedding itself.

The rest of your trip sounds splendid, too!

26. Shoshanah says:

I kept looking at the pictures you were tweeting over the weekend and thinking everything looked gorgeous! I think you picked a great place to get married, especially since you hadn’t actually visited it. And I love that eggs benedict. It looks delicious and perfect for me since I’d much prefer smoked salmon over ham.

27. Jessica says:

Sounds like such a fun weekend! Your wedding location is gorgeous, such a lovely setting!

28. Wow, what a great venue!!!! So excited for you!

I am so excited to hear all about your wedding!! The venue looks amazing! I can definitely see why you picked it.