3 months to go!

Catching up on wedding planning? Here are my previous posts on this topic:

***

I can’t believe our wedding will be in three months. That’s 90 days! I think it’s going to fly. Who am I kidding, the last 13 months have flown so these next three are certainly going to.

Back to my list format that I haven’t done for a couple of months…

What’s been done in the last month:

- Venue Visit: We crossed a huge, giant, big to-do item off our list when we visited our venue for the first time just over a week ago. Seeing our venue in person helped us connect so many logistical dots and we got some other things crossed off the list while we were there like making final decisions on the decor and the dessert table. So great!

- Tux Shopping: On Saturday Eric and I went tux shopping for the first time. Something I thought would be a quick and simple process turned into a 3-hour ordeal with no resolution yet. The thing is we want dark grey / charcoal coloured tuxes for the guys but we couldn’t find anywhere that rented that colour (just suits for sale).

Then we tried to find some reasonably priced suits for sale in that colour and that proved to be impossible. Finally, we found a local store that could rent us the colour of tuxes we want but they are quite pricey. So now we’re thinking of just having Eric in the full tux and the guys can be in shirts / vest / ties (like the photos below). This will save our groomsmen a significant amount of money, which is really important to us. They are already traveling a long ways to be with us on our big day…

What do you guys think of this look? Also the first picture below is almost the same colour of tuxes we’re looking for. Maybe a tad darker.

Groomsmen

Groom Vest jpg resize

Wedding ceremony natural outdoors

On my to-do list for the next month:

- Order Tuxes: A big thing on our list for this month is to pick out the tuxes that we want to rent and get them ordered for Eric and the guys.

- Anxiously wait for the rest of the RSVP’s! We can’t really do a lot more now until we have all the RSVP’s in. Then we can start thinking about a seating chart and better planning out the dinner and cocktail hour and etc. Our RSVP deadline is one month from today and we only have about 1/3 of them in so I’m hoping I won’t have to start chasing people.

- Second dress fitting: I’m going with my mom and MOH to the seamstress at the end of this month for my second dress fitting. My mom still hasn’t seen me IN my dress so I’m really excited to have her here for it!

That’s about it. Not a lot going on over here. I’ve been super busy the last few months so I’m SO GLAD I got a lot of the major planning done in December and January. Other than the unproductive tux shopping the other day I haven’t been too stressed about wedding stuff. I’m still really excited to just be MARRIED already but I also can’t wait for the big day to be here and watch everything I’ve spent hours planning unfold.

Questions of the day: Anything that should be on my 3-month out list that I’m missing? What do you guys think of the vest-only option for the groomsmen like in the photo’s above?

I like the vest only look- and from personal experience I can tell you that the jackets only lasted through the pictures/ceremony for us anyway! I think it’s a really good idea to try to save the groomsmen money whenever possible- it can be so expensive to be in a wedding!

The more I think about it the more I like the no jacket look, less formal and more fun!

The only other thing I would recommend starting to think about is your “must take” picture list for your photographer. It’s a good idea to run a list like that by your parents and I waited until too late to do it, then my parents were too busy with all the crazyness to look at it, then they were like “why didn’t we get a picture of ____”? haha… I also thought I would be motivated to add a few to that list on the day of the wedding and yeah I did not at all on that day I was like NO MORE PICTURES haha. Anyway I love my pictures so I’m fine with it all but I would just recommend a list of must takes in advance :)

This is awesome! And I love the idea of the guys in vests with Eric in a tux – it still looks formal, but a little laid back which is exactly you two!

I think you’re good for three months out – although you probably will have to chase some RSVPs. (Ugh, that’s the worst part about wedding planning – why can’t people just respond in a timely manner?!) Once you get those in you can think about seating charts like you said, and programs/favors if you’re doing them.

Happy Monday!

3. erin says:

the idea for the tux and vests – AWESOME! i think it’s very stylish. and i think the guys will be way more comfortable!

RSVPs, i think it’s a given everyone is gonna be chasing down RSVPs. but realistically people who say they’re going to come, and they haven’t planned anything, they’re not gonna come. don’t stress about it.

yay for dress fitting with your mom! i only had one!

4. I love the look of the vests! Like Kelly said, the guys tend to ditch their jackets as soon as they can anyways – and since your wedding is an outdoor summer wedding, I think vests will look great! :)

Ugh, the RSVP thing would be my least favorite! I am always a prompt RSVP’r because I know how annoying it is for the couple to track them down. When my friend Amanda got married, they used this company called the RSVP solution – that website kept track of the RSVP (which were online like yours) and would mail her the spread sheet daily. So basically what you are doing, but then once the RSVP deadline passed, this company called and it was kind of nice having a 3rd party take care of that!!

So excited for your guys’ big day!!

I like the vest look a lot, actually. Sounds like you’re making great progress!

90 days, I’m so excited for you!!

I think the vest idea is great. Plus you have to figure they arent going to be wearing a jacket the entire time.

I cant believe you only have 3 months left!

7. lisa says:

I like it. They aren’t going to wear the jackets very long anyway.

8. Ris says:

I like the vest look a lot! Super cute. I think these three months are going to fly by!

9. I’ve always been more traditional/formal with male wedding attire. We used black tuxes with tails. But the wedding was a 6 pm start and in a church, so pretty formal to begin with.

10. Katrina says:

The vest option would be perfect……….you know they won’t wear the jackets for long anyway and it’ll be roasting since its in July…….and Eric or the other boys aren’t very formal lol so I like the vest idea!

We are doing the shirt/vest/tie thing for our guys too :) So I’m a huge proponent of it. We officially decided on it this past weekend for our guys and can I just say I love how our wedding process is kind of mirroring each other, even though they are three months apart?

12. Carrie says:

I think the vest look works. And like you said, it saves money for the groomsman. We also had our bridesmaids and groomsman travel to be in our wedding, so we were cognizant of saving them money anywhere we could.

13. I definitely like the vest look. We did just regular suits for our boys (we rented black ones), but the vests are a nice idea too.

Also, I’m so glad you’re not working on seating charts now! I started waaaay too early and it’s my biggest regret because things kept changing and it was frustrating!

I think the only things left to think about are favors, and little creative details that you’ll need, like escort cards and where people are going to leave cards and presents. There are a lot of *little* things… Also, music! That one took me FOREVER to decide, and we picked our father/daughter dance song the DAY BEFORE the wedding day. Stressful.

14. A Super Girl says:

We had the same issue with tuxes, so I totally feel your pain. Initially, the fiance wanted to do dark gray suits but upon further reflection, he felt bad making his boys shell out 300 or more for a suit when many of them might not wear it again. So, we were directed to tuxes, only to find the only gray that places offer is a light gray, and we were going for charcoal. We ended up settling on black tuxes with charcoal vests and gray striped ties. My girls will be in navy dresses and I felt like the charcoal kept things neutral and not too matchy-matchy like it would have been if I’d done blue vests/ties. I’m excited for it.

As for the vest option, I like it. I don’t know that I would’ve picked it because it’s a bit more casual than my wedding look, but if you’re doing an outdoor wedding or more casual thing, I think it’s perfect!

15. LG says:

Why is it so hard to find a dark grey tux or suit to rent??? My husband’s brother wanted charcoal grey suits and the guys had to buy them. :0( The hubs hasn’t worn his since. Ho hum.

We had to chase some people for RSVPs for our wedding. I couldn’t believe it. I mean, you weed people out so you can fit in the ones you really really want to be there for one of the most important days of your life, and then…no reply? What??? (That’s what I was thinking, but I think I was kind when I made the follow-up calls.) :0)

16. Rachel says:

For our wedding we just rented suits not tuxes. The first 2 pictures you posted look like suits. We used Moore’s because the groom’s men can get measured at any location so it was easiest for our well spread out wedding party.

I quite like the guys’ look you have picked out! Very relaxed and summery! Kyle and I were lucky with colours because he wanted the “standard” black with a coloured shirt, so it made tux renting easy.

Waiting for RSVP’s is THE WORST! Near the end that was one of the things I was stressing out the most over. That and the seating chart. Kyle and I had some good dust-ups over that one.

I think the vests only option looks great! We lucked out with the tuxes by getting a deal at a bridal fair we went to – the groomsmen rented their own for $30 each (that Nathan picked out) and Nathan got his for free. We bought the guys shirts because Nathan wanted them all in black but it still didn’t cost a whole lot. The bridesmaids dresses was a different story, though – I had 2 girls in different provinces that didn’t like anything – the same so I ordered what I liked and got the sizes wrong! Oh well. Our photographer just edited out the cleavage …

19. Shoshanah says:

Only 3 months left? Wow, time really has flown by! So crazy to think you’ll be married so soon (and even crazier for me to think I won’t be far behind).

As for the vest, I really like them. I feel like that look is really “in” right now, and I just love all the pictures you used that show that look off.

For us, the boy has said he just wants everybody in black suits. I guess he’s gone through needing to buy a tux for a wedding all to often, so he’s trying to make things easier for everyone. I’m still not completely sold on the idea, but I said I’d leave that decision up to him.

20. Abby Nastase says:

Love the tuxes! Great color! Can’t wait to see pics of your actual wedding. You have so many great ideas and details!

21. I like the vests, they are strangely sexy. Maybe it’s just that the models in the pics…but yeah, I think it’ll look great.

22. Leslie says:

I really like the look of the vests! I think they would look great. We had a really hard time finding tuxes to rent that we were happy with too. I thought it would be so much easier

23. Kyria says:

I like the vest only look! Also, I like the grey the best of all the photos too! So, it’s a win, win!

24. Britt says:

I really like the vest look. My favourite colour combo is the first photo. I think it looks great!

25. I sort of love the vest-only option. The only thing it really affects are photos. And the photos above look totally smart with the guys in vests. And really, if you and Eric like it, then everyone else can shut their pie holes if they don’t, because it’s not their wedding. =)

26. Vest only is awesome for a more casual, laid back look :-)

I remember getting so excited to check the mail while waiting for replies. The worst was when I would check and there would be none that day :-(