The time I ate a beaver tail

Happy Sunday everyone! I am now back from Ottawa but didn’t really post any updates this past week on what I was up to. It was a very busy week with training all day every day and in the evenings I kept myself busy with fun social things, either with the new friends I made at training or blog friends!

It’s funny because this was my second time visiting Ottawa and I was there for 5.5 full days and 6 nights. Last time I was there for 4 full days and 4 nights. But I feel like I saw so much more of Ottawa last time. Probably because for 3 of the 4 days I was touring around with Anais! That trip is recapped here, here and here.

In my true “photography” fashion lately I took a bunch of instagram photos last week so I figured I’d recap my week in one post, through those photos!

***

When I first arrived in Ottawa last Sunday night it was cold. Like -20 C with the windchill! I was not happy since I had left a balmy 15 C behind in Kamloops. But it did give me the opportunity to wear the toque Lisa made for me finally!

179 out of 366

After a long day of training on Monday I met Anais for a (very cold!) run. We ran 5.5 miles along the Rideau Canal in Ottawa and then went back to her house where she made me a delicious dinner of rainbow trout and quinoa salad. It was great! Silly me didn’t get any photos of us together, though.

Run behind parliament

On Tuesday I participated in one of the social events with my training group! We did a tour of Parliament and then went for dinner and drinks at a nearby pub. It was really fun and great to get to know all the people in my group better! I ended up making some awesome friends by the end of the week.

Parliament

Wednesday I hung out with Anais again and went to hot power yoga at her gym. The gym she goes to is AWESOME. It’s massively huge and it has a hot yoga studio right inside of it that is included with the membership. It was an intense workout and I was glad to fit in some yoga during my trip. We then went for tofu burgers (same one I had with her last time), which were amazing! I once again failed at getting a photo of the two of us though :(

181 out of 366

Thursday was super fun! Our training group went to the Ottawa Senators game and had box seats, which was so cool!

182 out of 366

Friday our training wrapped up by 1:00 PM. It was really sad actually, it was very group-focused training and I met some awesome people from all across the country. All of my friends were flying out that day and I wasn’t flying out until Saturday but a few of them had a late flight so we wandered around Ottawa a bit more. We walked back to Byward Market so I could eat a Beaver Tail!

Beaver tail

A beaver tail is just a piece of fry bread with your choice of topping! I had maple butter which was super drippy and sweet, but delicious!

I love this photo I took near Parliament in downtown Ottawa. The contrast of the new skyscraper beside the older parliament building is so cool to me. I really love Ottawa and could actually picture myself living there one day.

Ottawa photo

After saying goodbye to my friends I got ready to meet Cynthia for dinner! She just happened to be in Ottawa that weekend for work as well so it was really fun that we got to meet up. I, once again, failed on taking any photos of us. Probably because we talked for two hours straight without stopping. It’s crazy how you can meet someone for the very first time but feel like you know them so well! We had delicious pad thai and then it was early to bed for me as I had a long run planned in the morning.

184 out of 366

I met up with Rebecca bright and early on Saturday morning to run 18 miles (29 km). I woke up to see that it had snowed and was about -10 C outside so I admit I was really dreading this run.

Well it turned out that this was by far THE BEST long run I’ve ever done. Rebecca and I literally chatted non-stop the entire three hours and I felt amazing. By the last mile or two the bottoms of my feet were starting to hurt from walking lots the day before but overall it was a really amazing run. If I feel that good during the marathon I will be one happy girl! We also ran along the Rideau Canal which was gorgeous and even though it was chilly it was also bright and sunny.

Me and rebecca after run

Afterwards we went back to the Scone Witch for a delicious brunch which I basically thought about the entire last half of the run.

Scone brunch

And then it was time to head home for me! I felt really good after my run and all day yesterday but I’m definitely pretty stiff today from running for three hours and then sitting on a plane / in airports for 8.

I had a really awesome week though. I met some great new people working for the same organization as me, I learned A LOT and I had some super fun times with blog friends. Nothing wrong with that!

How was your week? Do you like traveling for work or no?

1. I love that photo of you in your hat. Looks like a great trip – I am glad you were able to do some fun things/see other bloggers!

Honestly, I am not a huge fan of traveling for work. It’s part of my job, so I do it. But it’s not glamorous by any means. I think some people have this perception that it is glamorous, but I tend to work really long days, and it is hard to eat healthy or exercise. I am glad i don’t travel a TON, though! Right now it’s pretty manageable, which is good.

My week was actually really good!

2. Britt says:

Food is definitely a huge motivating factor for me on the 2nd half of my long runs too! It’s all I thought about from about 15km onwards when I was doing my half marathon in Feb! Looks like you had a great trip. Ottawa is such a fun city!

I LOVE Ottawa – I could definitely see myself living there some day, if only my husband wasn’t “anti-Ontario”. Now I’m craving a beaver tail … the ones they make out here just aren’t the same! My job is great in that I don’t have to travel – if I did, it would only be to Calgary, since that’s our where our only other office is. I hate flying – so that works for me :)

4. You had me with that beaver tail lead in!
    Ottawa is on my list of places I “must see” for sure. And by that big smile, looks like you ad a terrific time! I love meeting bloggers and yes, it’s interesting how we all hit it off right away. But then, we already know so much about each other!
    Glad you had a good time and a fantastic long run!

Wow, that sounds like a CRAZY BUSY week to me haha- I don’t think I could ever travel for work just because I would not want to be social every single night after doing work and I feel like that is expected… on the other hand if I traveled for work I wouldn’t be teaching so at least I’d be slightly less exhausted but still haha. I’m glad you got to see so many blog friends! I love the TOQUE (hehehe) Lisa made you :) I’m going to go ahead and guess that she calls it a hat though… unless she is close enough to Canada…

Also I think you should absolutely move to Ottawa, much closer to me!

6. Rebecca says:

So glad we got to meet up and have an amazing long run! Hope you aren’t too sore after the long run and your flight.

7. Paula says:

I love travelling for work. I’ve went to london on business trips about 7 times and I have a great time!

8. Lauren says:

Ottawa is a really cool city! I actually ran my first half marathon with my mom & neighbor 8 years ago, and I loved the race. We had beaver tails there too.

9. Gracie says:

We’re making a lot of cuts this year so I probably will not be taking my annual trip to a conference (generally I attend a conference related to areas of growth in our district). That’s fine with me, though, because last time the trip just exhausted me.

10. Melissa says:

Sounds like you’ve had a super busy week!! Beaver tails are the BEST, glad you made time for one of those, hehe ;)

11. Wendy says:

Ahh, beaver tails. I think the only time I had one was when I was in Quebec City in 2007! I think I would like travelling for work if I travelled to more interesting locations. It’s great for conference or training where I get some time to explore the city. For meetings, I generally have to go and be back the same day, which is exhausting and makes for a long day! I did it last week and was up at 4:30am and didn’t get home until 9:00pm!

12. Kyria says:

Love the hat! I actually like traveling for work. It introduces me to new cities, even if sometimes I don’t have a lot of time to visit them. I have never heard of a beaver tail but it sounds kind of like a funnel cake or an indian taco. I guess each culture / place has their own version of fried bread with sugar.

What a great trip! Plus I think it’s hilarious AND fitting that you got so many pictures of food but not as many with people!

I like traveling for work but I definitely don’t have as much time to things as it seemed you did. However, I’ve gotten to go some pretty cool places so I’m not complaining!

What a busy week! You fit so much in such a short time. :) I still think it’s crazy how COLD it is there. It’s been in the 70s here almost all winter!

I don’t travel for work so I don’t know how I would like it! Maybe in my next job…

15. San says:

What a fantastic trip, Amber! :) I really want to try beaver tail… can you get that anywhere outside of Canada? ;)

Sounds like a busy but fun week. I love the name Scone Witch for a restaurant and your brunch plate looks yummy. For the most part I like traveling for work because it’s nice to rack up some frequent traveler points and eat some good meals on the company’s dime. What I don’t like is that I usually end up working longer hours and don’t get many workouts in while traveling.

I’ve only traveled for work once but it was a good experience! I don’t think I’d want a job where I do it on the regular though. I like my routine and my own bed : )
    Congrats on the awesome run! I love the feeling of a confidence boost run!

18. You look so adorable in that hat. I love it!

I can’t believe you ran 29kms, AND talked the entire time. When I run and talk at the same time its SO much more difficult.

19. I just love travel, period. I figure working somewhere new is better than the same old office!

I also just love Beavertails, period. Mmm.

20. The beaver tail sounds similar to an elephant ear :-) Yummmmmmm!!!

I have never traveled for work before!

I love your hat!! I wish hats didn’t totally ruin my hair- I would wear them way more often.

I love Ottawa! It’s such a cool city- hope to go back there again to tour around and run the canal now that I am a runner! I also love to travel but I love lots of things so I don’t always get to travel to my dream destinations. Eventually!!

22. Neat blog. Was looking for red-headed beavers—real or a hoax. Come check out our poetry—includes redhead and women’s issues (surprising, for a couple of guy posters of poetry!).