Our Invitations

As I said yesterday, our wedding invitations are in! They actually arrived in FSJ the DAY after we left so now my mom get’s the job of stuffing, stamping and mailing them (we were planning to do it together at Christmas!) I will make the labels for her though πŸ™‚

Anyways, I couldn’t be happier with how they turned out. I set a generous, but not too generous, budget for the invitations because I know they can get expensive but at the same time I didn’t want to spend too much money on something that a lot of people will throw away. I ended up getting these for $100 less than what I budgeted so I am very happy with that! That was with shipping to Canada and the duty fee shipping to Canada is stupid expensive but that’s a whole ‘nother blog post)

I ordered them from Weddingbee Invitations by the way and was very happy with their service.

I really waffled on what kind of invitations I wanted. On one hand I wanted to do something fun or original but on the other hand I kind of wanted to stick with traditional and straightforward. In the end I went the traditional and straightforward route because I couldn’t find any fun ideas I really liked and most of the more “modern” invitations looked too cluttered to me.

OK, enough chatter! Time to share a picture of the invites. I’ve blurred most of it out and blocked off part of it because I try not to say Eric’s last name on the blog and also to respect our parent’s privacy since their names are on it but I think this gives you a good idea of what they look like!

I’m so happy that I was able to bring in our main colour (yellow!) I think it gives them a fun twist!

I came up with the wording on the invitation myself. Once again, I wanted it to be traditional/formal but also casual so I googled “wedding invitation language” and pieced together a bunch of different stuff to come up with ours. Here is what it says since I know it’s hard to read blurred out:

First comes love, then comes marriage!

Amber Y

daughter of ________________

and

Eric _______

son of ______________

invite you to celebrate with us

as we Tie the Knot on

Monday, July 9, 2012

Ceremony will begin at 5:00 pm with cocktails, dinner, dancing and happily-ever-afters to follow!

Location

The language is nice and simple but still fun (in my opinion) and very us! I’m really excited about the invitations if you can’t tell by the tone of this blog post and the multiple exclamation points I used πŸ˜‰

***

Questions of the day: What were your invitations like at your wedding or what kind of invitations would you like to have/plan on having if you’re not married?

1. I like how pretty and classic your invitations are! Plus, they have that pretty, buttery yellow!! πŸ™‚ Gorgeous!

They look great- I love the yellow too! Personally I was not into my wedding invitations but it might have been because I knew I was going to have very little control over them haha. That was one aspect of the wedding (and the flowers which I loved but my mom is just better at that sort of thing and I was right because they came out awesome) that I basically just let my mom take over. She had lots of options about what they should look like and what the wording should be. She did try to interest me by adding some pink though, which helped but in the end I think it was better off for both of us that I just didn’t care at all πŸ™‚

Cuz you know me and my obsession with last names- are you going to start using Eric’s last name professionally and on this blog after you get married or will you always keep it off?

• MissAmber says:

I’m not sure! I try not to even type my last name on the blog but since it’s part of my twitter handle it’s not exactly a secret πŸ˜‰ I still haven’t decided what I’m going to do professionally when I change my name. I don’t really feel like having two names but at the same time I don’t really feel like changing everything over πŸ˜›

I definitely plan on blogging about this soon though!

3. Sara says:

I used Weddingbe for our invitations as well! I also had a great experience with them. Our invitations were a bit more “modern” I suppose. The wording was still very traditional. We asked people for song requests on the return invites, though. πŸ™‚ Oh, and we were able to incorporate our colors as well (orange and gray)!

4. Love! I think they are beautiful, and I like the wording alot. Especially the ‘happily ever after’ part!! πŸ™‚

I am not sure what I will do. It depends on the theme of my wedding. If I marry a fellow book-lover, I would love to have a book-themed wedding… so that would impact the invitations I would have!!

5. abbi says:

Love the yellow! I made my own and was very into them for some reason but making your own is possible on the super small scale!

6. AshleyD says:

They look perfect! I love how simple they are, but also with a pop of color!

Love them! I love the yellow theme, if I haven’t mentioned that before. I like how you brought your own style into the wording, too.

As soon as I saw them I gasped – oooh, how cheerful! I think they suit you two so perfectly! And the wording is awesome!

I LOVED our invitations. You know how I told you to pick the three things that were most important to you? Invitations were one of those things for us – they still make me smile when I think about them!

9. Lindsey says:

Since I am into graphic design I designed our invites and save the dates, they were simple but perfect πŸ™‚ Then I had a local printer print them on pearlesant paper.

10. Crystal says:

Your wedding invitations turned out beautifullyÒ€¦very classy! My wedding invites were on a white background with a palm tree on the right side, sand and a starfish on the bottom and the writing was in script. I really liked them and found them to be simple yet tasteful for our event.

11. We came up with our own wording too.. and I can’t remember what it was right now.. but they kind of looked like yours but with silver instead of yellow. I think it said something about marrying your best friend.. but I also dont think we had our parents names on them. Hmm.. I wonder where my extras are.

I think that they turned out great! Nothing too fancy yet still pretty πŸ™‚ For our wedding, I made our invitations. Probably a little crazy but it was fun! I think total, they ended up costing me around $100, so it wasn’t too bad.

13. Bronwyn says:

Those are beautiful invitations! And I love that your wedding colour is yellow. How expensive are invitations to have saved $100 on them?!

• MissAmber says:

It really depends, you can DIY them for fairly cheap but if you order them online they usually range from $1 per invite to as high as $10 – $15 PER invite. That doesn’t include the RSVP card and envelope! They can definitely get really pricy!

14. I LOVE them!! And the “happily-ever-afters to follow!” made me tear up a little. Apparently I’m emotional today. πŸ™‚

15. Adorable! I love that they are traditional but the wording is slightly different and even the bright yellow isn’t thought of as a traditional wedding colour – though it was one of mine too (well, marigold) so I love it.

I sent out e-invites. I felt so tacky but since I was living overseas at the time it made things much easier (oh, and free! lol). And they actually ended up being really cute and we got lots of compliments. I’m just lucky all my guests were relatively tech-savvy!

16. Heidi says:

Your invites are super cute, I love the “happily ever afters” part! Adorable.

So pretty! And I love the wording πŸ™‚ Our wedding invitations had one of our engagement pictures with the wording printed on vellum paper and attached on top of the picture with a brad. We had the picture/vellum printed at Notables and then put everythign together ourselves. Simple and not too pricey! Well, except for the fact that I completely forgot that most of our guests would be coming in couples and therefore each person didn’t need their own invitation …

18. erin says:

<3 the yellow! and simple is always good!

Beautiful colors!!

I’m pretty sure I’ve said it before when you Tweeted about it, but I looooove the yellow! I love how simple your wording is too!

Our invitations were fairly simple too, except that we omitted our parent’s names on the invites because they’re all divorced and (mostly) with new partners, so it would’ve been too wordy. I also bought a kit and printed and assembled them myself. Tedious, but it saved me a lot of money! I think the invitations only cost me about $60-70 total, not including postage and the ink cartridge I had to buy for my printer. (It was almost out anyway, lol)

21. Vanessa says:

Ooooh, YELLOW! They are just lovely. πŸ™‚

22. I LOVE these! So classy, simple and not cluttered. Awesome choice, Amber.

23. Beautiful!

My invitations were very simple … quite similar to yours, but without the yellow. They were just black and white and the font looked like handwriting.

24. Love them! We were married in Disney so I think people expected our invitations to be super informal, but I stayed fairly traditional – I did include a very small Disney detail on them, and I incorporated bright pink into them, as that was one of our main colors. I also went with a showy, handwriting looking font. (Pretty!)

I love the shade of yellow you used. We thought about yellow as a color for a long time, but I had a hard time finding just the right shade so in the end we went with a platinum ice blue and a bright/dark pink, which I was really happy with.

(This is totally making me want to go write a post with some pics of our wedding, despite the fact that it was back in May!)

I haven’t changed my name yet… I’m planning to, it’s just never something I feel like dealing with, haha.

25. J says:

I had a very fall/tree themed wedding and I got mine from weddingpaperdivas.com and I was pretty happy. Being able to customize your invites is great and makes it so much better! Yours look great!

LOVE! Yellow is going to be my main wedding color too…when that day comes. Its such a happy color.

I cant wait to see more!

27. Gracie says:

Love the yellow! The invitations are one of my favorite parts. I made mine – it was a cost saver for me – and because I know how to do calligraphy I also addressed them. It was too fun!

28. Ashley says:

I really love the choice of yellow. They look lovely.

29. Laura says:

Those are GORGEOUS! I completely agree that the yellow adds a fun touch while still being generally elegant and formal.

considering we chat daily about wedding stuff you know I love them! So pretty, elegant, classy and definitely you guys. =)

31. Jessica says:

LOVE the invites! The yellow border and interior on the envelopes are fab

32. Kitty says:

I really have no idea how I ended up here on your blog, it was probably thanks to Google, “I’m feeling lucky” and some random clicking. Anyhow, I’m glad I found your blog because it’s just one big yummy every day healthy living cupcake with wedding sprinkles and it’s quite entertaining! (: *bookmarked* I’m planning a wedding myself. 6 months to go!

PS. Absolutely love the yellow!

33. I absolutely love your invitations. They’re traditional, yes. But, the yellow is definitely a modern twist!

We went with modern, non-traditional wedding invitations. We also bedazzled them a bit with our own embellishments. It was a lot of fun and very us. So long as you feel your invitations represent the two of you and your nuptials, that’s all that matters!

34. Charise says:

They were little square copper-colored folders, tied with twine, and when you opened them, once side had the invite w/falling leaf decor in dark red, and the other had a little pocket w/ cards about the lodging and the open-t0-all chili dinner/bonfire rehearsal dinner. It went really well with our rustic/vintage theme, but I guess would be considered an informal/modern style vs traditional.

These were awesome, and way fancier than we could afford normally. One of my mom’s friends designed them for free (she was building her graphic design portfolio), and we all helped assemble them. My mom works in HR for a printing company, so I was also able to get them printed for free.

35. Shoshanah says:

I really love that your wedding is about 2 months before ours, because it means that each time you post a post like this one, it starts the wheels turning in my head of something we need to do. I haven’t really started looking into invitation pricing yet, but I do have a few ideas at least.

36. Those look great! I’m so happy they came out so well for you. We did a lemon theme for our wedding…and carried that through in our save the dates, and then used a lemon tree for the front of our wedding invitations. I think the invites set the whole theme. I’m getting really excited for you guys!! πŸ™‚

Love how simple they are!! We made our invitations and used similar wording to yours, except we didn’t include our parents’ names. My parents are divorced and my mom is remarried so it would have just been too many names to include.