6 months to go!

In case you missed it this weekend:

***

Catching up on wedding planning? Here are my previous posts on this topic:

Holy crap! I can’t believe it’s 2012 and our wedding is only six months away. SIX MONTHS. That is crazy to me. The whole thing officially feels way more real. Now that I’m getting closer to the wedding I seem to have more and more updates and the posts are getting longer and longer. SO with that in mind I am going to start blogging about wedding related things more than just once a month.

This post was originally way longer but I took out all the information I had about our invitations for a separate post going up tomorrow. So if you’re not into reading about the wedding planning you might want to skip the blog posts today and tomorrow 😉

ANYWAYS, here’s what we got done and what’s on the list for the next month!

IMG 1085 106 out of 366

What’s been done in the last month:

Super fun bridal shower! My MOH and mom planned a really awesome bridal shower for me. We ate yummy food and played some fun games including the toilet paper wedding dress game (see outcome pictured above!) and a game to see how well I knew Eric. Michele (MOH) passed around index cards with questions she’d had Eric answer and if I was wrong I had to put a piece of bubble gum in my mouth. Well, at the end i had A LOT of bubble gum in my mouth, so much I could barely even talk! Apparently I don’t know Eric that well 😉 In my defence, the questions were hard!! Anyways it was a really fun afternoon and I really appreciate the time Michele and my mom put into planning it.

Girls have their dresses! Lisa shipped the bridesmaid dresses up to my mom’s and all the girls have theirs now. The classic cut we chose is so flattering and looks amazing on all five girls despite the wide range of body types!

Invitations are here! Pictured below! I’m so happy with how they turned out. More on them tomorrow 🙂

On my to-do list in the next month or two:

Bridal Show! The local bridal show is happening at the end of this month and even though I’m not having a local wedding I’m going with bridesmaid Jen to check things out. My friend Katie who got engaged recently will also be there! It should be really fun even if I don’t get anything specific accomplished for my wedding.

Find a ceremony officiant! I’ll admit I’ve been putting this off as I was really hoping we could get someone we know to marry us but after doing some research I don’t think that’s legal in B.C. According to The Knot’s checklist this should be on my list by this point. I’ve made contact with one one the coast who we are going to meet with during our venue visit in March. Hopefully he works out!

Music! We already have our first dance song picked out but we need to figure out other wedding music. I think I will do a blog post about this later this month or next month but for the most part I’m trying to delegate music decisions to Eric as I’m so not a music person! Then again Eric wanted us to walk down the aisle to Metallica soooo…. 😉

***

I think that’s about it. I oddly don’t feel a lot of pressure or stress to get things done yet. I feel like I should have more to do at 6 months out but maybe because I’m having a destination wedding with very little DIY there isn’t as much pressure? I’m sure things will start to heat up over the next three months or so, especially after our venue visit and food tasting at the end of March (which I’m so excited about!)

Questions of the day: What was your first dance song at your wedding or what will it be? Are there any things that SHOULD be on my radar six months out?

Lol you may want to have SOME music selections done by yourself haha.

I am sad that BC doesn’t allow you to get married by someone you know. I’m sure you will find someone great though and it will take some pressure off of you that you shouldn’t have to go through the legal stuff and write your own ceremony 🙂

I think you are pretty good for six months out. A couple of things you my want to think about before it gets close and there are more things to do: start making a list for your photographer of must-take pictures, for example I had pics with Eric and my grandmothers in there… a big picture of all my friends from college etc. Ask your parents if they have any in particular that they really want. Don’t ever assume during the wedding you will remember 🙂 You could also start thinking about whether you want to do out of town baskets/bags at the hotels with things like water bottles, and a few snacks in them for your guests. It can be nice to collect that stuff ahead of time when a store near you has a sale on gift bags or water bottles haha. That’s all I can think of right now 🙂

2. abbi says:

Our wedding was a little different so we didn’t have a traditional first dance song but the one that probably fit that bill was Rosie Thomas – Guess it May. Take a listen if you’ve never heard it. I absolutely love that song! The music we played was a big deal for me even though most other things weren’t!

3. My first dance song will really depend on the guy I marry, but if I had my choice, I’d maybe pick “The Luckiest” by Ben Folds. I LOVE that song. 🙂

I think it’s great that you aren’t feeling super stressed about planning. I know that the wedding day is very important, but I also think it’s a shame to stress about all the details that many of your guests likely won’t remember. I mean, when I think back on the weddings I’ve been to or been in, the things I remember most are the memories I made with friends/family, the best man/MOH speech, and things like that! It’s going to an absolutely fabulous day!!!!!

• michele says:

IM SO NERVOUS FOR THE MOH SPEECH! I was really hoping that was a small detail that NO-ONE ever remembered…haha!

Yay! Six months!!! It’s going to be here before you know it!!! Our first dance song was “Feels Like Home” from the “How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days Soundtrack.” (It’s the one I put our wedding video pics to on our anniversary on the blog last year if you want to listen). I still can’t listen to it without crying!

As far as having things on your radar six months out I think you’re in pretty good shape – but maybe starting thing about bridesmaids/groomsmen gifts, so you can start budgeting for them? Woo hip! Happy Monday!

5. we planned our entire wedding in only 6 months, and that was before we had the internet to help find things and people. Well, maybe the limited choices made it easier, but still. it only took 6 months. you’re waaaaay ahead of the game.

6. Crystal says:

Well, our first dance was to Love of a Lifetime by Firehouse. Our intro song into the reception was Highway to Hell by AC/DC which really got the crowd going, so you can definitely have some fun with your music choices. I would make sure any songs you really want played to include in your list; we spent a couple hours picking songs we wanted and it kept the reception rockin!

6 months out you are still sitting pretty good but those last 3 months or so, things start adding up fast (we just got married in Nov 2011) but The Knot is a great checklist so as long as you’re on top of things, you should be fine.

7. Lindsey says:

I love reading these posts 🙂
    Our first song was I’ll Be by Edwin McCain 🙂 And I think you are right on track, you are organized so yes it will seem like there isn’t alot to do or that you you are missing something. I found myself quite bored until 3 weeks beforehand, and even then it wasn’t too busy.

8. Morgan says:

I went to three, yes three bridal shows this past weekend. They were all different and it was fun to see some new ideas and to taste cake! 🙂 The only thing I didn’t like is that David’s Bridal (not sure if you have those up there too or not) ran us down even though we clearly bee-lined away from their booth. I officially never want to set foot in another DB ever again! But besides that, they were fun. Wear comfy shoes and have fun! 🙂 6 months! Woot! I can’t wait til my countdown gets to that, but then again I was just excited to be able to start saying, “we’re getting married this year!”

We haven’t picked our first song yet but have it narrowed down to a few and I’m not allowed to share because Spike has put me on a wedding detail sharing lockdown! LOL! Good luck picking your song, can’t wait to hear what one you decided on.

9. erin says:

please please please make a LIST of photos you want! my photographer didn’t want a list from me, and i tried insisting, and they said they felt it was too forced, but so many missed pictures! i was quite upset! a duh one was one of me and my sisters?! and one of me and my maid of honor! no where to be found!

6 months! whoooo! that’s quite exciting. I don’t even think we picked our first dance song until like 2 weeks before!

10. Ris says:

Wow it’s going to be here super soon! I say go with the flow and get the things done that are most important to you. Sounds like you guys are right on track! I had a friend who got married last summer and she did a destination wedding as well, so they took care of a lot of things for her. She said she finally had to stop looking at The Knot countdowns and checklists because they were just stressing her out and making her obsess over things that weren’t important to them. Something to keep in mind for sure!

11. We’re not going to have a traditional first dance (I hate dancing, and with our height differences it would be entirely too awkward) but one song that will definitely be on our wedding playlist will be Brighter Than Sunshine by Aqualung.

Is there anyone you are close to that wouldn’t mind playing “dj” for your wedding? I did it for my best friend’s wedding and it was really fun for me (and one less stress for the bride and groom). Maybe someone special who didn’t quite make the cut in the wedding party?

12. Bronwyn says:

I definitely have no idea what I would play for my wedding song, I think I need to meet the right boy first eh? 😉 I’ve never been one of those girls who dreams about her wedding day from a young age.

We didn’t have a dance at our wedding … without a dance, we still left the church around midnight, so … yeah! Our first dance as a married couple was actually onstage at a luau in Hawaii during our honeymoon 🙂

14. So exciting!!
    The music for my wedding is something I’ve been thinking about since I was in high school, so I’ve got a pretty long list of songs I want. But the first dance song is going to depend on who I marry. There are some things that I just can’t plan ahead of time unfortunately. 🙂

Baha! Kyle wanted to walk down the aisle to Metallica too!! Actually – he won – I found an instrumental in violins of a Metallica song and it actually sounded really nice! Just a thought if that’s what you want to go with in the end – and not too many people will realize what it is unless they’re fans of the band!
    Our first dance was to “Angel Eyes” by the Jeff Healey Band. Kyle actually picked that one and it really reflected our relationship. I walked down the aisle to “Marry Me” by Train. Now everytime I hear that song I get all weepy!

The only thing I can think of that should be on your radar is wedding favours for your guests. I was banging my head off the wall for MONTHS over what to do and when I finally decided, I made them all just a couple days before the wedding. Bad idea! They can be pricey if you order something, so if you’re going with the DIY route, give yourself lots of time! I was totally stressed by the time I did mine.

Have fun at the bridal show! It’s SUPER packed but be sure to go early for awesome free swag and enter all the draws different vendors have!

16. I can’t believe it’s so close!!!! I know I’ve heard a lot of brides say they were really picky about what songs they wanted played at their reception. As for the first song… that is so hard, there’s so many great love songs out there! Definitely find something that you both love and will remember forever! 🙂

17. nikki says:

aw! our first dance song was “You’re My Best Friend” by Queen – we chose an upbeat song since we’re so awkward and ended up just singing in each other’s faces in front of everyone.

I’m a pretty uptight girl (a sticky-note, planner-lovin’ virgo) so I thought wedding planning would make me a crazy monster, but I was surprisingly calm about everything and went with the flow. It sounds like that’s happening for you, too 🙂 just remember it’ll be awesome and you’ll be married!

It will be here before you know it! Enjoy the wedding planning- I still miss it 5 years later!

Love the toilet paper wedding dresses! One of my favourite shower games. I had to do the bubble gum game and I didn’t do so well either!

We are in the process of finding bridesmaid dresses for my friends wedding and it’s not going so well!

19. Vanessa says:

So exciting! I’m glad to see that things seem to be coming together for you quite nicely. Your big day is going to be just lovely. 🙂

20. Rachel says:

My dream is to elope, Vegas style, so there probably won’t be a first dance… Haha. But if I had to pick a song, something by Michael Buble, like “Everything” would be my pick!

Six months is going to absolutely fly by!! I love reading your wedding posts because you just seem to be going with the flow and enjoying the process, which is how it should be! 😀

21. The next six months are going to fly by! Love that toilet paper game (storing away that one for future bridal showers!). Also, our wedding DJ let us provide her a DO NOT PLAY list. Maybe you should do the same for Eric, and then demand executive veto after he’s compiled his list! =)

22. Things are coming together for you! Yahoo! It seems like you have most of the big things checked off so that is probably a good feeling.

23. Strangely, I posted about what my first dance was in my “5 things” post today. How odd. It was Yellow by Coldplay.

6 months out- make sure you and Eric know the right information and have the right documents in order to get legally married. That way if you need to get something or find something out, you can have all your documents back with plenty of time!

24. Tiffany says:

Hi Amber! The next 6 months are going to fly! Our wedding song was “Into the Mystic” by Van Morrison. “Songbird” by Feetwood Mac was a close second, but seemed a little bit sad so we went with Into the Mystic. You sound like you’re in good shape for 6 months out. Just look over all the dates from your vendors. Make sure you know when final deposits etc are due for each vendor so you aren’t scrambling to figure it out in the hectic weeks right before your wedding. Enjoy the rest of your planning!

• Charise says:

We used a Van Morrison song, too – Tupelo Honey! Or at least we were supposed to, except even though we gave it to the DJ on the same disc with the other important songs, he played some strange instrumental, new age-y, bluegrass-y cover of it. And I was too worried about looking like a bridezilla to stop dancing and go tell him. Not a highlight of the night, for sure, haha!

25. J says:

Looks like everything is going well! Can’t wait to see the invitations! I just went to a bridal shower this past weekend with my friend whose wedding is in October, it was fun to get all the free cake samples!

26. We didn’t confirm an officant until like 3 months before hahah. My uncle ended p doing it.

27. Kyria says:

What’s wrong with Metallica? A little “Nothing Else Matters” would really get the mood going!

Haha I played the TP dress game at my shower and did the bubble gum game at my dinner before the wedding…I too had a lot of gum in my mouth! It was fun though. So glad that the dresses worked out. When are you getting yours altered?

We danced to your guardian angel by the red jumpsuit apparatus. We both love the song!

29. I am a big fan of rarer songs for weddings. My suggestions are:

The Wedding Song – Angus and Julia Stone

It is one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard, and I love the lyrics.

OR

Forever – Ben Harper (my sister walked down the aisle to this)

OR

Paris 2004 – Peter Bjorn and John

A pretty, more familiar song:

Marry Me – Train (good for registry signing)

Best of luck in the last 6 months of wedding planning! Enjoy every minute of it, because it will go by faaaast! Once it is done, you won’t know what to do with yourself!

30. Jennifer says:

Our wedding song was ‘Have I Told You Lately’ by Rod Stewart.

A trick for bridal shows – and all the assorted draws – is to bring peel ‘n stick labels with your name, address and phone number on them. That way you’re not stuck writing the same information dozens of times 🙂

6 months will fly by and before you know it, you’ll be walking down the aisle 🙂

31. Wendy says:

You seem so relaxed and organized! Doesn’t seem like there is a lot for you to really worry about, probably set out the other things that you might be doing yourself for the wedding, but otherwise, just relax and enjoy it! Your day will come before you know it! Our first song was Lonesome Highway by Jacksoul, danced as soon as we were introduced at the reception.

32. eemusings says:

I doubt we’ll have a first dance, let alone first dance song, but I want to walk down the aisle to Can’t Take My Eyes Off You.

33. Charise says:

If you are looking for nontraditional ceremony music, I had my cousin playing the following on acoustic guitar: First Day of My Life by Bright Eyes (love, LOVE this song) and Everything by Ben Harper for the processional, and 1, 2, 3, 4 by Plain White T’s and Better Together by Jack Johnson for the recessional. I got tons of (positive!) comments on the song choices.

34. […] Had an amazing bridal shower. […]

35. […] my bridal shower and my bachelorette party to MOH Michele and bridesmaid Jen respectively. I had an amazing bridal shower thrown for me back at Christmas time and then hadn’t really heard much about the bachelorette […]