2010 was an amazing year for me and at the time I called it “the best year of my life” and now that 2011 is ending I’d have to say it was a close contender for that best year spot!!
Like most people in the blogging world I like to do end-of-the-year recaps. Here are mine from 2008, 2009 and 2010. Recently I’ve started recapping ‘my year’ on my birthday instead so rather than do two yearly recaps Â I decided to borrow this idea from Lisa. Here are my top 11 moments/experiences from 2011!
1. Completing my hot yoga challenge. In January I spent 40.5 hours doing hot yoga when I took on the 30 hot yoga classes in 30 days challenge. This was the first non-running challenge I’d done in a long time and the physical, mental and emotional affect it had on me was amazing!
2. Buying our townhouse. At the end of January 2011 we officially signed the papers to buy our first home. We spent a lot of time looking for the right place and almost a year later I couldn’t be happier with where we ended up. It’s in a great location, is not making us house poor and is the perfect size for us. I absolutely love our little home.
3. Getting engaged. This was probably my top moment in 2011. After being together for 6 years Eric asked me to marry him in March on a random Thursday night at home. I am so excited to marry my very best friend in 2012!
4. Traveling to Ottawa, Minneapolis, Victoria and Orlando. I did a lot of traveling in 2011 and it was amazing. All four of my trips this year involved a blogger meet-up (and in 3 out of 4 cases an entire weekend with blogger friends) and once again I am so thankful for the amazing friends I’ve made through this space.
5. Getting a puppy! I love Chloe so much and I’m so glad we decided to take the leap and finally get the dog we’ve wanted for years in August. She brings so much fun and joy to our every day lives and it is 110% worth the extra work and money.
6. Completing a sprint triathlon. Training for this race took up a lot of my time and I was so nervous going into it but it was an amazing and fun experience. Never has a race gone by so fast – i guess the three sports will do that for you – and I can’t wait to do more triathlons in 2012!
7. Running a sub-2 hour half-marathon. The entire weekend in Victoria with Lisa, Lauren and Leigh was amazing and a top moment for me but I’ve never felt so proud of my running performance as when I crossed that finish line in 1:58:18. That race was hard for me and I left EVERYTHING out on the course to achieve my goal but I did it and that was an amazing feeling.
8. Planning our wedding. This has been several moments over the course of the last 10 months (wow, how have we been engaged that long?) and there have been many stressful moments but also many awesome moments like finding and buying my dress, picking our first dance song and booking our honeymoon. Overall it’s been more fun than stressful and I can’t wait to see the whole day come together in just over six months!!
9. Signing up for marathon #2. I have wanted redemption after marathon #1 for quite some time now but wasn’t sure if a 2012 marathon was in the cards for me. When they revealed the new point-to-point course for the Vancouver 2012 marathon I signed up almost immediately. I start training on Tuesday with the local Running Room and I can’t wait to cross the finish line of my second marathon in May!
10. Hosting friends and family in our home. Now that we have a 3-bedroom townhouse we’ve actually been able to host our families and friends when they come to town! It’s great having the extra room. Our families visited and stayed with us 3-4 times this year and we hosted three friends for an awesome and fun long weekend in August! It’s great having the space to host people.
11. Contentment. Never have I felt more content and at peace with my life and myself as I have this past year. I’ve had many moments where I stop and think how lucky I am and how happy I am with almost every aspect of my life right now. Yes, there are hard and crappy days still – I’m only human – but for the most part life is pretty darn good! I can’t wait to see what 2012 will bring.
Question of the day: What moments would be on your top 11 list for 2011?