7 months to go!

Catching up on wedding planning? Here are my previous posts on this topic:

***

This last month has been an exciting one on the wedding planning front and I got lots done!

Mainly because I started planning the best part of the whole thing – the honeymoon! We’ve decided to spend 5 days following the wedding in Tofino, B.C. I’ve never been to Tofino but I’ve heard nothing but amazing things about it.

Long Beach in Tofino {source}:

Long beach

Anyways, onto my list!

What’s been done in the last month:

Honeymoon destination chosen! It’s not booked yet but we’re planning to stay in an oceanside suite complete with our own kitchenette and private hot tub. We’ll be steps away from the beach. While there we are planning on going kayaking, trying our hand at surfing (yes, surfing in Canada! Apparently the water is cold. lol), whale watching, a trip to the hot springs and going hiking through the Pacific Rim National Forest which is a rainforest (again, yes a rainforest in Canada!) I’m envisioning lots of walks on the beach at sunset, relaxation and wine in the hot tub. Is it OK that I’m a little more excited for the honeymoon than the wedding?! 😉

Registered! We decided to do a gift registry and a honeymoon registry. Since we’ve been living together and on our own for quite some time we don’t really *need* any household stuff (though we do need to upgrade a few things) and I love the idea of honeymoon registries. I’m all about giving experiences as gifts so I think honeymoon registries are a fun idea!

Invitations ordered! We had a huge invitation cafuffle this month. I ordered them, paid for them and then the place I ordered them from dropped off the face of the earth. I didn’t get a response for two weeks so I thought it was fraud and disputed the charge with my credit card company. Then she emails me almost a full two weeks after I last saw her saying they were away without internet. Ummm, ever heard of an out of office message?!

ANYWAYS, after all that I ordered different (and cheaper) invitations from Weddingbee. I’m hoping they’ll be in by Christmas so I can stuff, address and stamp them with my mom and MOH’s help and we’ll mail them around March-April. This means we also decided on a ceremony time. We are doing a 5:00 PM ceremony, 6:00 PM cocktail and appy hour and 7:30 PM dinner followed by the dance. We decided to just go with really simple and classic style invitations. I’ll post a picture when we get them!

Photographer! This has actually been decided for several months now but I booked her flight this month so it feels even more real. The amazing and talented Rachel from Hello Gorgeous Photography is coming to B.C. to shoot our wedding and I am SO excited about it. I’ve been a big admirer of Rachel’s work for a long time and I know she’s going to do an amazing job!

Bridesmaid dresses are in! We ordered the bridesmaid dresses from the same place I got my wedding dress and they got delivered to Lisa a few weeks ago. She recently shipped them up here so they should be at my mom’s by the time I’m home at Christmas. We ordered the colour based on a little tiny colour swatch so I was worried it wouldn’t turn out right but it’s the exact shade of yellow I was hoping for. Yay!

On my to-do list in the next month or two:

Bridal Shower! OK, I know this was on last months list too but it actually IS this month. Really excited about it. It’s two days before Christmas in my hometown and I can’t wait to see a bunch of friends and family and my MOH who I haven’t seen since April!

Book Honeymoon! I want to get our accommodations booked asap since Tofino is a busy place in the summer.

Plan venue visit! We’ve actually never seen our venue in person even though it’s only 6 hours away (but have heard amazing reviews) so I am working on tagging a venue visit onto one of two visits we already have planned to Vancouver in the spring. I can’t wait to see the venue and meet our wedding planner in person!

***

And I think that’s about it! I feel like we made a lot of progress on wedding stuff last month and I’m back in the excited mindset again. Next month it will not only be 2012 – aka the year of the wedding – but it will be the SIX MONTH COUNTDOWN. For some reasons 6 months feels so much more real and sudden than any other number!

Questions of the day: Where did you go on your honeymoon or where do you want to go on your honeymoon??

1. Sara says:

We went to Sedona, AZ. We stayed at the Enchantment Resort. It was fabulous! ER like to hike and do outdoorsy stuff, didn’t feel like traveling somewhere beachy, and hubby had never been to Sedona. We also considered going to California but we decided to save that for another trip. Tofino looks beautiful! I’m jelly. 😉

Yay, so much has been accomplished!!! I can’t believe it’s in 7 months! I definitely felt that honeymoon planning was more exciting than wedding planning- and the honeymoon in general I was more excited about, the both ended up being awesome though in the end 🙂

When you visit your venue, one question you may want to ask is about the gap in between the ceremony and cocktail hour, and how they will handle that… I’m assuming your ceremony will not be an hour right? At my place they were willing to start serving drinks a little earlier so people were not just standing around. But it’s something worth asking about. On the other hand, your place looks so beautiful that I’m sure people will be able to entertain themselves! haha.

Yay for having so much done! I can’t believe January will be six months!!!

We went to the mountains (about an hour and a half away) for our honeymoon – kind of the middle of nowhere which was SO perfect! You all will love it!

4. Great update! You have accomplished alot! I am so excited for your wedding! It feels more real to me now that I have my bridesmaid dress in my closet, and my hotel & flight booked! Eeks! Can’t wait!

I am sort of torn on where I would go for a honeymoon. I might try to do something within the US and then do a big trip to Paris the following year for our 1st Anniversary or something like that. I just don’t know if I will want to do a long flight to Europe as I imagine I will be pretty exhausted!

5. Hazel says:

Yay, so exciting! It makes me miss wedding planning! We also did a honeymoon registry and it was a good plan for us! We didn’t get the entire honeymoon paid for, but we definitely got enough money to pay for a big chunk of our excursions. I can’t wait to see how it all comes together!

6. You sound so organized! That is great that you are checking off so many things on your list, and your honeymoon is going to be amazing! We had a short engagement (7 months) due to not knowing what was going on with the army, so I had to rush every decision I made. Everything is going to be great for you guys though! And we ended up going to Mexico for our hm.

7. We honeymooned at my family’s beachouse in Tybee Island, GA just outside of Savannah. It was affordable, reasonable, and only about a 3 hour drive from where we had the wedding. The best part was that we left directly from the wedding to go down there, so everyone else had to clean up!

8. Morgan says:

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek so exciting you’re coming up on the six month out date! Great update and how fun to be working on the honeymoon and registries! I really like the idea of a honeymoon registry too and we plan to do one as well. Your honeymoon looks and sounds like it’s going to be dreamy!!! This post reminds me I should do an update soon on all the goings on with ours!

7 months seems like a long time, but it will fly by! We went to San Francisco for 4 days and it was a lot of fun! We were pretty tired by the end of it, but we both were happy with choosing San Fran. We are going on a tropical vacation soon, so it’s kind of like our tropical honeymoon except with my family coming along, haha.

I can’t believe it’s seven months away!!!! SO EXCITING. I love our wedding chats. What will we do when our weddings are over?? (I joke.)

You have done so much as of late! Again, such a bummer re the invitations but I’m glad it worked out for you after all!

11. Heidi says:

How exciting!!!

I’ve always wanted to do Hawaii for my honeymoon!

Wow, you’ve gotten a LOT done! We went to Hawaii for our honeymoon and are planning on going back next summer (2013) for our 5th anniversary. When I lived on the east coast I went surfing quite a bit – PEI was only a 5 hour drive away, and NS was even closer. The waves aren’t the greatest and it’s COLD – but Canadian surfing is doable 🙂

Exciting!

I’ve always wanted to go to Greece and lay on the beach and eat amazing food. But with the turmoil….who knows? We’ll probably go to Hawaii. Sunshine and beaches sound good to me.

14. stephanie says:

Im excited to see the BM dresses. I had yellow and thought it so cheerful and happy. I let them choose any dress they wanted (as long as it was knee length-ish) so they were in 3 different styles which i loved.

You are making a dent in the to-do list!! We went on a Caribbean cruise for our honeymoon. Since we got married in the summer, we didn’t want to go to an all-inclusive (hurricane season) so the cruise was a great idea! We had so much fun and I can’t wait to do one again.

Tofino is on my list of places to go to as well!

We didn’t go on a honeymoon, which surprises a lot of people. We don’t even really have plans to go on one in the future. It’s not that we’re such big home-bodies, it’s just that we felt we spent enough on our wedding and that our money could be better spent on stuff we actually needed! Plus, since Kyle had just started his new job, it was going to be challenging to get the time off.

One day we’ll go somewhere nice, but it just wasn’t for us to honeymoon! We did stay at a wonderful inn the night of our wedding though – that was enough!

17. J says:

Looks like you have everything under control! Wedding planning is tough because you are planning for so many months but it takes time to do everything! The time is going to fly by in the next few months so enjoy every minute!

18. Our honeymoon was SOOOO fun! We went to Niagara Falls and Niagara on the Lake. It was totally low key and filled with excessive eating and drinking. I wouldn’t change a thing 🙂

I’m sure many people have already said this—but those last 6 months will FLY by! It is such an exciting time! Treasure every moment 🙂 (YOU WILL!)

19. I’ve never been to Tofino (which is pathetic) but its supposed to be amazing. I have a feeling you’re going to love it.

20. Destini says:

WOW I was organized, but I think you may have me beat! Everything sounds wonderful!

What is a Honeymoon registry?

21. Amanda says:

I feel like I have wedding on the brain even though I’m incredibly single, ha! I’m MOH for both my HS bestie and my little sister who are getting married a week apart (at first they picked the same date!) and on opposite sides of the country. Going to be a nutso spring but so much fun 🙂 only 5 months to go!
    Major bummer about the invites, but so glad that it all worked out!

22. SO exciting, Amber! You are on top of things. 1) Um, the wedding invite debacle sounds annoying and insane. I mean, how do you run a business and not take care of customers while away? Weird. 2) Your photographer looks amazing. 3) I want to go either to Europe (although it would be a little spendy and more stressful than beach vaca), Hawaii or Mexico. And after seeing She Likes Ruffles post on their much belated honeymoon, I would like to go to Capella Ixtapa. But I fear it’s WAY out of our price range. http://rufflesandtruffles.com/2011/12/capella-ixtapa-accommodations/

Fun planning! PS – I like that you’re calling it “cocktails and appy hour” sounds like “happy hour.” Plus, in the states I never hear it called appies…just plain ole appetizers. 😉

23. Jen says:

My dad always told me that your wedding is for everyone else, but your honeymoon is for you. So it’s not at all strange that you’re more looking forward to your honeymoon! Although, I’m a big fan of both the wedding AND the honeymoon being for us!

I’d love to, and have always thought I would, go to Hawaii on my honeymoon. I’d love to do two weeks split between two or three of the islands. However, recently, my boyfriend sprung Australia on me as an option — a place he’s been dying to go to since he’s obsessed with kangaroos!

Good job with crossing a bunch off your list this month! Very exciting!

24. kathy says:

|I was just wondering why you chose Tofino instead of a tropical honeymoon with warm weather and warm water? Is it because your partner does not ike to fly?
    Tofino has cold water and the weather can be wet.

• MissAmber says:

We’ve both always wanted to go and have heard it’s beautiful. We don’t mind the west coast weather and had a great time when we rented an oceanside cabin on Bowen Island last year. And yes, a lot of it has to do with Eric not enjoying flying so I don’t want to stick him on an airplane for 5+ hours the day after our wedding.

Plus the tropical, all-inclusive vacations aren’t really our thing!

25. Leslie says:

We went to a Sandels resort in St. Lucia for 10 days and it was so relaxing.

You guys will have such a great time in Tofino. Surfing thtere is so fun. Challenging but fun! The weather in July will be great too. I sent an e-mail to my Mother in Law about that place and will let you know what she says. It’s just down the road from them!

26. Doesn’t it feel good to check things off your list!? 🙂

We honeymooned in Cuba as we got married there as well but we switched resorts to have something more luxurious. We never regretted it and had the best time ever 🙂 If we would have gotten married in Canada, we probably would have gone to Bora Bora and its still on our list of places to visit 🙂

27. gracie says:

I’m sure you’d be uninterested in our choice…Vancouver! Probably too close to home for you! For us it was the perfect getaway from New Orleans July heat and was the ideal mix of nature and city.

28. We went through Alberta for 3 weeks for our honeymoon, the highlight being white water rafting in Banff.

29. Lorinda says:

I’m so excited that you’re going to Tofino for your honeymoon! It’s my absolute favourite place (I’ve been up there three times this year). It’s actually where B and I eloped to! You MUST have at least one meal at The Pointe restaurant at the Wickinninsh Resort, it’s expensive but worth every penny plus more–even B agrees and he’s happy to eat anything. If you want any other tips just let me know, I’d be happy to share. Happy planning!!

30. Wendy says:

Wow, you’re so on the ball! I was not this far into my wedding planning 7 months before the date, so good job! We went to Europe for our honeymoon, specifically to Switzerland and Italy, for 3 weeks! It was a lot of fun, we didn’t really go with an itinerary, so we played it by ear day by day and took advantage of our Europasses!