Universal Studios

Good morning! Happy Sunday! I wanted to blog last night but I was dead on my feet after spending over 12 hours at Universal Studios!

But let’s rewind! Where I last left off Eric and I were looking for a place to go for appies and drinks since we were still very much on West Coast time and hungry at 9 PM. We ended up at Bahama Breeze, which despite being a very expensive cab ride, was really awesome!

IMG 1019

We had a plethora of drinks and appies and just relaxed, chatted and enjoyed one anothers company. It was such a fun night and made Eric and I realize we need to make an effort to go on more date nights like this – with no phones! – when we’re at home.

IMG 1012 IMG 1013

We crashed into bed around midnight on Friday hoping that a full nights sleep would get us fully on east coast time finally!

Saturday morning we were tired and dragging our feet. We actually just missed the 8:45 shuttle to Universal but it came back so we were able to catch the second one. Before doing anything else we beelined it back to Harry Potter World for one last magical visit and to go on the Forbidden Journey ride one more time. This time we only waited about 40 minutes πŸ˜‰

DSC 0105

We sadly said our goodbyes to HP and headed over to spend the day at Universal!

DSC 0113

DSC 0118

Universal was really fun, and a lot less crowded than HP! We went on a bunch of rides while we there: Terminator, The Simpsons, Men in Black, Jaws, Disaster, Revenge of the Mummy and The Simpsons again.

It was a really fun day!

IMG 1054 DSC 0128

IMG 1050 DSC 0153

IMG 1045

Finally around 3:00 PM we broke for lunch and had some very questionable, and very expensive, fried fish. At least our restaurant had a nice view of the park!

DSC 0144

Universal was really cool and had a bunch of little “neighbourhoods” that were fun to wander through!

DSC 0130 DSC 0139

I loved the Christmas decorations πŸ™‚

DSC 0146

After going on The Simpsons ride for the second time (that ride was SO fun, up there with the Forbidden Journey as a must-do ride!) we actually got caricatures drawn of us. After sitting there for 35 minutes and paying $40 I was slightly disappointed because he’d drawn me with blonde hair.

However, I don’t have a photo to show you because I forgot it at the restaurant last night!! I was SO mad at myself but it turns out they called in the middle of the night to let me know they found it, so Eric and I are going back there today to pick it up and I’ll share a photo in the next post!

Anyways, after the Simpson ride and getting our photo drawn it was time to meet Stephany for dinner!

DSC 0161

We met at the Hard Rock Cafe, which was really good. It’s also the biggest Hard Rock Cafe in the world – little tidbit for you ;) Stephany was awesome and we had so much fun chatting about blogging, books and other things!

DSC 0162 DSC 0165

After we said goodbye to Stephany Eric and I wandered along CityWalk one more time and considered going for a drink, but then we decided we were just too tired and headed back to the hotel for sleep!

***

Today is our last day in Orlando and we’re planning on going back to CityWalk to get our caricature, and then taking a cab to this giant flea market and tonight we have tickets for Medieval Times.

Our trip has been amazing and so, so fun but also has ended up costing a lot more than we budgeted for. I never realized that we would have to take a cab EVERYWHERE we went since nothing is walkable nor is there good public transportation in this city. We paid $33 to go 8 miles in a cab on Friday night! By the end of the trip we’ll have easily spent over $200 on cab fares which seems nuts to me since we’ve taken advantage of the free shuttle every chance we could and also took a shared shuttle ride to and from the airport to save a bit of money.

Eating has also been really, really expensive and it’s almost impossible to eat cheaply. I’m not complaining, just things we didn’t think about when planning the trip! I also thought three days here would feel really short but it’s actually been perfect and is kind of similar to Vegas in that respect. Everything is just so go-go-go and expensive we are ready to go home after three days!

Anyways, those are just some of my observations from the trip so far. See you tonight or tomorrow with one last recap πŸ™‚

1. Great recap! I am glad you had a fun day together and got to enjoy more rides!! You got lots of great pics – you look great in all of them! Looks like the weather is nice and sunny.

And how fun that you got to meet Stephany!

Bummer about it being so expensive, though… I have heard that Orlando is expensive since it’s so touristy w/ the theme parks and all… Between the cost and the long lines, I don’t think I could do it. I do NOT do well with crowds. πŸ˜‰ (My brother is the same way! He had a tough time when they went to Disney World w/ the boys last spring…)

Enjoy your last day!!

Oh man, it’s been almost 10 years since I was in Orlando last but I’m not surprised you’ve found it expensive, I definitely remember having that problem with Orlando too. I think theme parks are a lot of fun, but I hate how they can be a tourist trap as far as money is concerned. Glad you guys are having fun though!

3. Shoshanah says:

Glad to hear that you guys are having a good time! It’s definitely make me excited for our trip to Florida in a few weeks.

4. Heidi says:

Your pictures make me miss Florida so much! I can’t wait to go again in the spring!

Great recap, enjoy your last day!

5. Buying food at those places is such a pain, everything is so much money and not at all good for you. Thankfully I try to pack my own snacks and sandwiches when I go so I have something healthy and cheap to eat. πŸ™‚ Glad you’re having fun! It makes me want to go back there ASAP!

6. Melissa says:

This seriously looks like so much fun! I need to go visit Universal (and Stephany! hehe) ASAP. Seriously, look what at you’re wearing! T-shirts! So jealous of just everything in this post. Glad you and Steph had fun too- it just sucks about the extra costs you guys hadn’t planned for. Definitely a downside in traveling, always those unexpected money issues!! Ah well, hope it’s all worth it πŸ™‚

It was so fun to meet you last night!

Orlando can be so expensive. Even when my mom and I go, we end up paying more than we usually think we need. And it’s even harder when you don’t have a car! Live and learn, right? πŸ™‚

8. Universal Studios is so cool. I’m glad you guys had a good time, and I cant wait to hear about Midieval Times. We went there when I was little and it was so much fun. πŸ™‚

9. Rachel says:

T-shirts and shorts… Must be nice!!! You do know you’re coming back to snow?! πŸ™‚

Wow, that’s crazy expensive for cabs! You’d probably run into that problem anywhere you’d go ’cause it’s not cheap to cab, but I’m really surprised that Orlando wouldn’t be easier to get around since it’s so touristy!

Glad you guys have had fun! That Scooby Doo picture is cute!

10. Yep, rule of thumb for US travel. Unless you are vacationing in an actual city…you’re better off renting a car if you can. There’s almost no public transport options. And if you are in a high tourist area such as Orlando food prices are going to be astronomical. If you go again, it might make sense to find a room that at least has a microwave and buy some frozen dinners or something at a grocery store so you aren’t constantly shelling out tons of money on eating at over priced restaurants.

11. nikki says:

your recaps are so fun to read! we just went to Orlando back in May and the Forbidden Journey was definitely the best ride – we’d skip the long line and go in the “singles” line where you just fill empty seats on carts, which was awesome because more often than not we’d end up together anyway with other groups of 2 at the front of the line πŸ™‚

12. Abby Nastase says:

Looks like you guys are having such a great time — and by the pictures it appears you’re having great weather! Orlando is really beautiful. I think some day I’d like to do the marathon there — it’d be kind of magical.

Orlando is expensive. that’s frustrating about the taxi! Bleh! That drives me crazy. When we went to Cancun for our honeymoon, we had to spend $50 for a pretty short cab-ride to our hotel (they originally were goign to charge us 75!!)…turns out it was a bunch of Mexicans ripping us off since they could clearly tell we were US tourists!

13. J says:

“Embryo Books”?
    Ha, “germination of the mind….”
    Bespeaks of Ideas, to say the least.

So glad you have had such a good time, but yikes about the cab fare! Hope you got home safe and sound!

15. Just catching up on your trip posts – SO fun! I love that you two just flew across two countries for a little Florida sunshine, as winter starts to set in πŸ™‚ Globe-trotters!

I lived in Orlando for a semester during college, but was too early for the HP world. I really want to go back and check it out – such a HP nerd!

16. Ugh, I hate paying for cabs! That is why I love NY … you can walk everywhere in no time! Hehe!

I have never been to Universal in Orlando, just Cali. Love it there and it looks like the one in Orlando is just as good.

It’s crazy how much cabs cost!

18. Kyria says:

Looks like fun! When I was in Orlando, there was no Harry Potter World. Bummer!