8 months to go!

So I realize that my wedding updates have been seriously lacking, I just don’t have very much to say right now! However, I know that at some point I will want to look back on the time when I was planning my wedding. I’ve decided that I’m going to start doing monthly updates and then perhaps do more frequent updates as the big day gets closer!

Today it is exactly eight months until our wedding and tomorrow it will be exactly nine months since we got engaged. How time flies!

What’s been done in the last month:

Wedding bands purchased! That is mine pictured above. We got Eric’s a few weeks ago but had to order mine in. I picked it up last night and I am in love with it! It’s not the ring that was part of a “set” with my engagement ring but I wanted one that I could wear on it’s own as I’m not planning to get them soldered together. Can’t wait to wear it every day in 8 months!

Save the dates gone out! Well, most of them…I just recently got a few more addresses so need to get those ones in the mail (I’ve been carrying them around for a week but have been too lazy to go to the mailbox!)

Wedding dress is here! Only a few weeks after I ordered my wedding dress it arrived on my doorstep. So fun! I tried it on and then sent it home with my bridesmaid Jen so I wouldn’t be able to look at it every day and Eric wouldn’t be able to peek either. It feels more “special” not having it in the house too.

Decor details getting nailed down! I’ve had a few great calls and emails with my wedding planner over the last month or so and we’ve nailed down a pretty solid design plan for the flowers and limited decor we’ll have. I think it’s going to look really beautiful!

Dessert Table! Another thing we’ve decided on and priced out is a dessert table at the reception and cupcakes instead of cake. I have a HUGE sweet tooth (and Eric loves candy!) so we are really excited about this.

What’s on my to-do list in the next month or two:

Invitations! Since our wedding is a destination wedding  my goal is to get the invites in the mail at least 5-6 months in advance. I am still trying to figure out what I want for invitations as I don’t want to DIY them but I’m looking for cost-effective.

Decide on a ceremony time! In order to do the above I need to cross this off! I know I want late afternoon/early evening and the dinner & dance to immediately follow the ceremony but don’t know what would be the best time for that. I’ve been throwing 5:30 or 6:00 PM around in my head. Thoughts?

Bridal Shower! Well, this isn’t on MY “to-do” list (other than to attend) because my lovely MOH and mother are taking care of everything! It’s going to be on December 23. That’s the only time I’ll be home between now and the wedding and ALL my family members are up there. I’m really excited for it!

Want more wedding updates?

***

Questions of the day: With 8 months to go until the wedding is anything not on my list that should be? What time of the day was your wedding/will it be/would you want it to be? 🙂

1. Jess says:

When figuring out the exact time for the ceremony keep in mind what kind of light you want for your pictures during the ceremony and the stages pictures after! 🙂 So exciting!

2. Megan says:

Our wedding was at 5:00 p.m. (on a Tuesday! Yay for weekday brides!) in June 2008. I knew the lighting would be perfect for photos outside directly after the ceremony, so that’s why I picked that time. 🙂

Since your wedding is in July, I think anywhere around 5:00-5:30 would be nice.

I’d say you have a lot done that I hadn’t even thought about yet at 8 months out 🙂 On MY your-wedding-to-do-list I need to buy plane tickets! Jetblue just realeased their summer dates but then I found out that Eric’s friend’s weddings are not the dates I thought and we thought one might be the weekend before yours like July 7th so we were planning to fly to you on the 8th and then stay around after but apparently that’s not even true so now I’m just like GET YOUR SAVE THE DATES DONE haha.

But anyway- my wedding was at 5:30, that time worked for me… if I had it at 6 it would’ve had to be inside because it started raining at like 5:50 haha.

4. I am always happy to hear more about the upcoming wedding, so I like these updates!

I think a 5:30 or 6 start time is perfect. It’s a good amount of time for us girls to get ready so we definitely won’t feel rushed!!

5. I have always thought an evening wedding would be lovely… with lots of twinkle lights and hopefully a clear sky so you can see the stars… ahhhh, dreams! 🙂

Cannot believe it’s been 8 months since Eric proposed! It feels like it was just a little while ago!

6. erin says:

hmm – July – means the sun goes down much much much later like after 9 pm. so if it’s mostly outdoors, then you might want to be cautious. we had ours at 6, and that was right when the sun was setting, the timing was so perfect, but it made for pictures a bit difficult! and by the time we sat down to dinner, it was nearly 8, and everyone was starving. so if you do a 5 pm ceremony time, you’ll get some gorgeous pictures, and dinner should start at a reasonable time.

that ring – wow! we actually kept ours at the jewelers until 2 weeks before we left! hah! it just made it easier and we didn’t have to worry about it being lost!

7. lisa says:

We got married in the late morning (i think 10:30a). Very small ceremony (~25-30 people) with lunch following. This was back in the day when photos were post ceremony, so that took about an hour. The wedding was about 30 mins. And this worked out for lunch to happen at noon.

My niece got married at 5:30p this past Saturday with dinner/reception following.

8. Lindsey says:

I wanted my wedding at 2pm but the church had 1pm or 3pm so we went with 1pm to give us more photo time and so we could decorate the church the night before – with the 3pm wedding there was the chance someone else booked 1pm then we’d be hooped. It was nice to have the break in between as well, cocktails were 5pm and then supper 6pm. I knew I couldn’t wait till 7pm to eat and didn’t want my guests to either after such a long day!
    I had checklists (that started 16 months out at 10 pages long!) for each month, then about 12 weeks out went weekly and then daily – yes, I am obsessive 😉

9. Ris says:

Oooh such a pretty ring! I’m so excited for you guys–less than a year!!

10. Katrina says:

Exciting!!! Rings are beautiful!!! We got married at 1 and ate at 4 or 5 i think lol I can’t remember what time we ate. I think 5 would be a good ceremony time, people will be ready to eat by 6-6:30ish. Are you planning on doing a late night snack?

11. Meg says:

I was so surprised when I saw your ring pic with “eight months to go” on facebook! When you decided on the date, it seemed so far away! Time really does fly! One wedding tradition I’ve always remembered is that you want to say your vows and start your married life on an upswing (of the clock), so depending on the type and length of ceremony, plan it so that you’re saying your vows while the minute hand is heading up (in the second half of an hour), not down (in the first half of an hour). So, if it’s a quick thing, I’d say start it on the half-hour.

You have so much done and OMG the dessert bar (so to speak) sounds amazing! I love that idea 🙂

I would lean on your wedding planner to help you figure out what time the sun will be setting on your wedding day and pick your ceremony time accordingly. I had some people help us out with that when I was planning an evening wedding and it was great to know (more or less) what the sun and light would be like!

13. LG says:

Great update! So exciting.

I didn’t get my rings soldered together and I’m so glad, because when I play squash or run, I can just wear the band. I like having them separate. :0)

14. Our start time was more or less decided for us, we were just able to buy time to add to the end. Our start time was 6:00, we were done by 6:30, cocktail hour was 6:30 to 7:15, and then dinner started around 7:30, and then we were done with toasts and pie by 8:30. Dancing went from about 8:30 to 10:15 and then we were outta there! A LOT of people started leaving around 9:15 or 9:30, especially for people who are not big dancers.

Lighting is definitely important, we wanted to make sure that we had some daylight and some night time pics. We didn’t want to end when it was still light out, so you might want to start later if that’s a factor. You are more north than we are, which means your days are longer, so I’d consider having your start time be around 6pm.

However, if you are planning on doing a lot of photos after the ceremony (no first look), then you might want the ceremony a little earlier, in order to give you more time to do that, without making the wedding go super late and you entering the wedding starving and cranky.

Just my 2 cents!

• MissAmber says:

This is great advice! Thanks. We are doing a first look so will do all the photos before the ceremony.

• Just an FYI, your photographer will probably want to do SOME photos after – with you as husband and wife! Our timeline had about 10 minutes for additional photos, so we came in for our entrance, did some eating, and then snuck away to do more photos while our families were eating and mingling and not missing us.

Then when we got back around 7:50, we jumped into the toasts, the pie, and the dances to start off that part of the evening (while the pie was being cut). The pie definitely hindered the start of dancing, just because everyone was still eating. But there’s really not much you can do about that, unless you decide to interrupt dancing with more food. And that can be kind of awkward too…

Eight months is going to fly by! It felt like the day would never get here for me, but then it goes by so quickly! So enjoy the time planning before it gets really busy 🙂

We had our ceremony at 4:30pm and then drinks and dinner following that. It worked out perfectly as we were able to take pictures before hand and that meant we had time to chat with guests before dinner.

ps- I didn’t comment yesterday, but I hope you have a great weekend away!

I think a couple people have already mentioned it, but keep in mind time for photos after the ceremony! You definitely don’t want to rush the photographer, and lighting is a big deal too (more for the photographer). Our ceremony was at 2:30 and cocktail hour started at 5 p.m., dinner at 6 p.m. It worked out pretty well I think and our photo session after the ceremony wasn’t rushed!

Have you thought about wedding favours for your guests? Or the music? You wouldn’t believe how hard it is to pick those things!

• MissAmber says:

We’re doing a first look so almost all the photos will be taken before the ceremony!

I’ve kind of thought about music and favours but haven’t looked into it too much, that might have to go on next months to-do list 😉

17. J says:

Love the wedding band! I chose mine so that I could wear it alone too. Its nice to be able to chose what to wear. Sometimes I don’t like to wear my diamond ring at work cause I bump it on things and could damage it.

For the ceremony time, I guess it depends on how long the ceremony will be. If its going to be less than 30 minutes you could have it at 5:30 and the reception start at 6. A friend of mine did that and it was nice. Either way I am sure it will work out well!

18. A Super Girl says:

Wow, you are farther in your plans than I am, and I’m like 5.5 months out from the wedding date!

Your list looks good. I’d maybe caution on sending the invitations that far in advance, only because you also did Save the Dates. If your Save the Date included a wedding website or other way for people to find out accommodations/travel info., then they should be fine making any arrangements and wouldn’t necessarily need an invitation to do so. Also, people may not want to RSVP to something that far in advance since it’s hard to know schedules etc. The standard is 6-8 weeks prior, so I’d maybe go for more of an 8-10 week lead time.

I think an evening ceremony is great and other commenters are right about allowing time for photos. We’re fairly limited since we’ll be married in a Catholic Church with a dinner reception a couple hours later. Gaps are no fun!

Our wedding was at 1 pm with the reception at 5 and photos in between. We didn’t have a dance – but we still didn’t leave for our hotel until almost midnight. All of the wedding party bailed except the man-of-honour and the best man and we had to have the entire church cleaned and set up for the services the following morning – I was vaccuuming the sanctuary in my wedding dress! You’re lucky you won’t have to worry about things like that with a destination wedding 🙂

And I LOVE your wedding band! Mine is pretty small so I did get them attached – but now I wish I hadn’t. I hardly ever wear my rings at home because I keep getting the diamond in my engagement ring caught on things or scratching Topher with it.

20. Morgan says:

Love the rings!!! They look great together and I can’t wait to see the dress! Eeek! Feel free to update as much as you want because it’s helping me figure out what the heck I’m supposed to do. LOL! 🙂

Enjoy transit to O-town!

21. I think it’s all going to come together perfectly. Hope you have a fun trip! Florida is beautiful this time of year. I finally got my race report posted this morning from IMFL.

22. nikki says:

that is so exciting!! I planned on wearing my wedding band(s) on their own, but we’re a year in and I can’t ditch the engagement ring yet. it seemed so big and gaudy at first, but now I can’t stop wearing it 🙂

23. I love the wedding band! I would totally want to start wearing it right away too. 🙂

I think the idea of cupcakes instead of a cake is adorable. It just seems more fun that way.

Your rings look GREAT together! You all have so much done, and when I read the title of this post I was like “only 8 months!” Wow! It’s going to fly!

25. Rachel says:

5:30pm would be a good evening ceremony time… So that dinner time doesn’t roll around too late. 😉

I like the idea of cupcakes, but the last wedding I went to, they didn’t end up having enough of them for everyone! So some people were pretty bummed out because there were also no other dessert options, lol!!

What about doing wedding invites with one of those picture websites where you can order a bunch for pretty cheap?! My friend did that… They weren’t super fancy invites, but they had a bit of a “personal touch” to them.

26. Jen says:

I have never heard of soldering engagement rings and wedding bands together! Is that common? It initially seems like a good idea, but thinking of it further, I don’t think it would be the best idea… if you ended up upgrading your diamond or something, you’d have to get a new wedding band or have them cut apart.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, I won’t have much of a choice for ceremony times. I’ll be getting married in the Catholic Church, and I’d like to have my wedding on a Saturday (it’s just more convenient for everyone, I think), so I’m limited to something between 1 and 3 I think. I’d like to have an hour or two between the ceremony and the reception, so I don’t miss anything while I’m taking pictures after the ceremony!

27. JustMe says:

A dessert table? That is the BEST idea I have ever heard of. I’m not the biggest fan of weddings, but I’d go to weddings all day long if they all had dessert bars!!

28. Fun updates! There is so much planning for weddings, it’s kind of insane. I just got measured for my brother’s wedding. The bridesmaid dresses are going to be a tiffany blue. It will be interesting to see how the design looks on everyone, but I like the color. Their accent color is red so it should be very bright!

I look forward to more updates! 530 or 6 seems just right with dinner right after it. Happy planning!

29. Abby says:

Beautiful ring! Okay, I wish I had better advice on the “time line” for wedding prep….but my whole wedding planning process is kind of a blur at this point!

Everything looks to be on time for you, though!

I LOVE the desert table idea! Wish I would have thought of that! I hate cake. Yuck. I didn’t even eat cake @ my wedding…We took a picture where Ryan & I looked like we were feeding each other cake…but I spit it into a napkin.

I’m glad to see that you have a calm approach to wedding planning. Stressing out about the wedding is unhealthy, in my opinion! Enjoy this time — it’s fun 😀

30. Shoshanah says:

Reading this is making me freak out a little because I’ve pretty much done none of these. But we do have 2 extra month after yours… but still, yikes!

31. We got married at 4pm and had snacks and drinks immediately following and dinner at 6pm. We did most of our pictures ahead of time but we still needed all that time for our other photos. But we were right on schedule!

32. mandy says:

Wedding posts are so much fun. You’ve been engaged for 9 months already? Holy crap thats crazy! The wedding will be here before we know it. Sounds like you’ve got pretty much everything under control. I am a big fan of having cupcakes instead of a cake. Such a fun option!

Pretty!!

You look pretty organized to me!

34. Great job on the planning!

I had a 4:00 ceremony, but we did some pictures after it. If you are planning to have the dinner immediately following the ceremony, then 5:30 would probably be good. Then you would have time for a bit of a cocktail hour before dinner too.

I would start looking at bridesmaid dresses if you haven’t already, as those take a looooong time to come in. My sister’s took 6 months to arrive.

35. Rachel says:

i was seriously just thinking today that your wedding is SO SOON. thank god for blogs because i am so freaking ridiculously excited to be there for your day i could DIE. 🙂 xoxo