Victoria Trip: Day Two

Another great day full of great food and great conversation is done. Tomorrow is race day!

This morning there were no alarms set in our hotel room. We all started waking up and rolling out of bed around 7:30 – 8:00 AM and we were ready to head out the door by 9:30 AM. Not bad for four girls in a hotel room with one bathroom.

First stop of the day was John’s Place for breakfast.

DSC 1053

DSC 1054 DSC 1057

Lauren’s friends recommended this restaurant to us and I’m so glad they did. It was one of those hole in the wall type of places that we never would have stumbled upon but ended up being so, so good. I had citrus pancakes (lemon and orange zest) with cream cheese maple syrup, and yes, it was as decadent and delicious as it sounds!

After breakfast we spent some time wandering around Victoria and window shopping as we slowly made our way towards the race expo.

DSC 1059

Victoria is SUCH a beautiful city!!

DSC 1061

DSC 1072

Oh, and here is a photo of ALL of us to prove there actually is four of us on this trip 😉

DSC 1070

There was a cool orca whale in the grass by the Empress!

DSC 1077 DSC 1079

After a bit of walking around downtown we headed to the race expo to get our packages!

DSC 1081

Then we went back to our hotel for a couple of hours to rest our feet after all the walking we’d been doing. It’s nice that our hotel is so central so we could do that! After a bit of a rest we sought out some gluten-free baking and our carb-loading dinner!

I had a lemon macaroon at Bliss Bakery and it was delicious!

DSC 1086

Then we headed to Pagliacci’s for dinner. We arrived at 5:00 PM and there was already a line around the block.

DSC 1091

DSC 1088

But we persisted because it was one of the only Italian restaurants in the city that also had gluten free pasta and we’d heard really good things. We waited in line for 1 hour and 40 minutes before we were seated! I have never waited in line that long for a restaurant.

We passed the time on our iPhones and chatting. It went by fairly fast but I was definitely hungry by the end of our wait.

DSC 1090

It was well worth the wait! My pesto pasta was super amazing and I completely cleaned my plate.

DSC 1092

Now we are all wrapping up and getting ready to head to bed! Leigh just finished french braiding mine and Lisa’s hair for the race.

French braiding

Leigh, Lisa and I start our half-marathon at 7:30 AM and Lauren starts her marathon at 8:45 AM (no idea why they did that but at least we will get to see Lauren finish!)

See you tomorrow with a day three report of Victoria. Sub-2 or bust!!!

***

Question of the day: What is the longest you’ve ever waited in line at a restaurant?

1. eemusings says:

Hmm, I’ve waited nearly an hour – but for people to show up, not because there were no tables. To be honest, I don’t think I’ve ever waited for a table (maybe 10 minutes tops?) Usually if a place is full we get takeaways or go elsewhere.

Good luck with the race tomorrow!!

2. H-woman says:

I refuse to wait that long for food! Your dinner looks like it was worth the wait, though.

Speedy vibes to you all tomorrow!! Have a great run!

All of your food looks/sounds amazing! Victoria looks like a great place!

Good luck to all of you today!

4. Melissa says:

You girls are so cute- this trip sounds like a great time! I love how in both your posts so far there’s so Lululemon going on… There’s casually a store in one of your pics haha 😉

Good luck with your race!

Also, totally unrelated, but your hair looks great in that picture of the four of you. It’s a really nice length on you!

Looks like you all are having a blast! I know you’ve already started the race so know that I’m sending GREAT thoughts your way!

6. Shoshanah says:

I’m guessing you’re probably in the middle of running now, if not already finished, so I’m wishing you guys the best! Good Luck!

Yikes! That’s a REALLY long time to wait. I remember going to this fancy steakhouse before with my uncle where we waited a long time in the bar area to get a seat. It was one of those “make a reservation or find a table in the bar” places. It was a madhouse in the bar area where people would have to fight to get the next vacant table. And then there was the time we waited about an hour for a table when we were told it would only be 30-45 minutes and it turned out we weren’t even put on the list! We had a buzzer and everything. THAT was annoying and they didn’t offer us anything for having to wait longer. Very disappointing!

8. I saw you racing today!! You looked great!

All of you runners had such a beautiful day. I had such a blast cheering on all my loved ones!

Glad you’re having such a great time in Victoria. Hope you’re happy with your race!

(Totally the norm for Pagliacci’s btw but always worth it)

9. You all did so wonderful! It was so fun following you on Twitter, although it did make me very reminiscent of our Minneapolis trip!! Love these recaps – you write them so well!

10. Yet another great recap! Victoria really is a gorgeous city – the photos do not do it justice! I want to come back here and run the marathon some day. Or come here on a honeymoon or something! Such a great place to visit.

That is the longest I have waited, and it was totally worth it. The thing is, we didn’t really have an option, so we just had to make the best of it. I am glad we had fabulous company to make the wait go by fast (well, besides that unruly child with anger management issues, but that’s a topic for another post…..)

11. Abby says:

Looks like an awesome weekend! What a beautiful city! The pesto pasta looked worth the wait. Plus, it’s worth waiting for good food the night before a race!

I think the longest I’ve ever waited for food is 1.5 hours.

12. michele the great says:

that purple jacket is super cute, and looks amazing on you!!!

13. mandy says:

Looks like another amazing day for you all. So glad that you were able to have such a fun girls weekend. Victoria does look like a beautiful city.

14. I think I have waited about an hour before … but I would wait longer if I knew it would be worth it!