Whiskey Salmon

DSC 1006

This summer Eric and I went to a BBQ hosted by one of my trail running friends and her husband for our running group. We had the most delicious salmon. It was so good that Eric – who is usually extremely quiet around new people – piped up at dinner and said “This salmon is awesome! Who made it?”

My friend sent the recipe over a couple of weeks ago so last weekend I decided to try and recreate it for my brother, Eric and myself. Now, I should start by saying that I am not a fan of whiskey at all. I’ve thrown up a few too many rye and coke’s and shots of whiskey in my day and now even the smell of it makes bile start to rise in my throat. Knowing we wouldn’t use the whiskey for anything other than this recipe Eric and I bought the tiniest bottle we possibly could and I added the whiskey to the recipe from as far away as possible!

DSC 1004

This recipe is super simple and easy and I would make it again in a heartbeat! Basically, you marinate the salmon for a few hours (we only marinated ours for about 1.5 hours but I would recommend doing it for 3 or more)

DSC 1008

And then you throw it on the grill!

DSC 1009

The recipe calls for you to baste it every 5 minutes for 15-20 minutes but it really depends on the grill. Ours was on for about 20 minutes and I think we might have overcooked it slightly.

Still, it was amazing salmon!

DSC 1019

We ate it with corn on the cob (also grilled. So juicy and delicious) and a tossed salad. It was a wonderful meal and relatively quick and easy!

DSC 1014

So you want the recipe?

Whiskey Salmon

Mix together:

• 3/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1 cup EVOO
  • 3-4 cloves minced garlic
  • 1/4 cup whiskey

Marinate the salmon in the above for a few hours (I think if we’d marinated ours longer it would have had more flavour so that’s why I recommend marinating it for three hours or so) and then BBQ over medium heat for 15-20 minutes skin side down, baste with the above mixture every five minutes.

Voila! Easy peasy right? And oh so good! I’m hoping to recreate this meal at least one more time before grilling season is over in a few weeks.

***

Questions of the day: Do you like to grill in the summer? What is your favourite thing to grill? Have you ever made whiskey salmon (or any recipe with whiskey in it)?

Lisa introduced me to the amazing-ness of grilled veggies and I’ve been making them quite often since my Minneapolis trip!

1. This would be a good idea for me. I’ve got whiskey in my pantry that has been there FOREVER. We don’t get along… like at all…

2. Heather C says:

Marinading for “hours” never happens in the kitchen – I always forget!

Either way, it’s good to have another Salmon recipe on hand 🙂

3. Lisa of Lisa's Yarns says:

Yum. That looks so good. As you know, I love to grill. My fave thing to grill is vegetables actually. Especially zucchini! I think it tastes amazing when you grill it. And it’s easy. I love having access to the grill!

4. lisa says:

I like eating grilled food, but i don’t like to do the grilling. odd, huh?

That sounds AMAZING!

6. Ris says:

Oooh this recipe is making me really miss our grill. I’m going to bookmark it until it’s grilling season again!

7. Oh yum! I don’t have a grill and really wish I did. It just doesn’t work with our apartment right now. It is one thing I can’t WAIT for when we finally get our own place 🙂

8. Mmmmm, that salmon does sound good! I love grilling, and try to grill just about everything!

9. Katrina says:

Eating my breakfast and reading BILE didn’t paint a pretty picture lol
    What is EVOO??? I have tasted a whiskey salmon and it was amazing but I have not made it. I AM SOOOOOO going to make it this weekend though!!! mmmmm looks awesome!!

I’m not the biggest fan of salmon….meaning I will eat it, but it’s not my first choice. But this recipe looks fantastic! I beat you could do chicken in this marinade as well

11. i love grilled onions! that salmon looks great!

Oh yes, we love to grill! I like to do grilled potatoes, corn on the cob, and of course hot dogs/chicken/burgers. Knight does the grilling in our house and I love it when he does. He does the grill, I do the sides. It’s so fun. I’m hoping we can get one or two more grilling sessions in before the fall really sets in 🙂

OMG I need to make this! I have two little salmon fillets that I have no idea what to do with!

I hate whiskey too! As our old roommate once said – “Whiskey makes the world angry!”

14. Laura says:

Yummy! I definitely want to try this.

This looks awesome! Brilliant idea!

16. J says:

Sounds delicious – we don’t have much whisky lying around, I just don’t really like it. More of a vodka kind of girl I guess!

17. i know this has nothing to do with the post but that is the cutest picture of you ever!

18. It sounds good. The best way to cook corn on the cob? Trust me on this one. you have to try it.

Pull the corn out of the husks and clean it good. Then rub down each ear with EVOO and season liberally with salt and pepper. liberally. Throw it on the grill and give a quarter turn every two minutes until you start to see some of the kernels start to char a bit. The flavor from the salt and pepper combined with the sweetness of the corn and the slight bitterness you get from the little black bits of char is amazing.

19. Shoshanah says:

I normally hesitant cooking fish. I’m always afraid I’m going to ruin it, plus our local grocery store doesn’t have a huge fish selection. Except the few times I have cooked wish (aka only once) it did turn out great, so I probably should be making a point to cook it a lot more than I do.

Haha I love the picture of you not smelling the whiskey, I’d have to be the same way!!! I hate the smell of whiskey and it’s one of the only alcohols I’ve never gotten sick from because I just have always found it too nasty to tolerate. However, my grandmother used to make this really good whiskey cake which leads me to think that whiskey cooked would be good so maybe I WILL have to try this. I do love salmon 🙂

21. Melissa says:

Oh sweet Jesus and Mary this looks so delicious I can’t handle it. I need to spend some time learning to cook something this amazing!

22. So Im not a salmon fan, but my dad is. He also loves whiskey. Im pretty sure I need to give this recipe to my mom – they’ll both LOVE it.

23. Kyria says:

That looks delicious! I’ll have to try it sometime. I wonder if you could do it in the oven instead? I really love grilled veggies. My friend made a stuffed zucchini on the grill and it was delicious!

24. WOW. That salmon looks like it should be in a magazine! The colours in it are incredible. I have made a chocolate whiskey sauce before, but that was the only time I cooked with whiskey.

25. […] How to Grill Corn on the CobUCCFS: Hot Dogs vs Corn on the Cob Round 1Healthy Lunch RecipesCompanyEasy entertaining with The Vegan TableK Cups For LessWhiskey Salmon […]

26. […] UCCFS: Hot Dogs vs Corn on the Cob Round 1Whiskey Salmon […]

27. […] visiting a friend who was recently in an accident. That evening we had my mom over for a delicious dinner of whiskey salmon, roasted potatoes with the last of the rosemary and thyme from our herb garden and asparagus. It […]

28. […] i let it marinate for 24 hours. Seriously the best salmon recipe I have ever made. Second only to Whiskey Salmon. I think the key for me is letting salmon marinate for a long time, because I find it kind of dry […]