Race Report: Dirty Feet 10K Trail Race III

Hey guys! I got back into the trails for a run this morning and it was awesome! It’s kind of funny because last year I ran 12 miles on the Saturday (a short run at the time for marathon training) and then did this same trail race on the Sunday. Well apparently it was deja-vu for me this year because I also ran 12 miles yesterday and then did the trail race this morning! Heh.

As a result of that + an advanced power flow yoga class yesterday afternoon and a late night out last night I spent the majority of this afternoon on the couch so this race report is coming to you a little late 🙂

My trail shoes have not been used much since my big trail race in June so I busted them out of retirement for the race this morning.

IMG 1110

My race didn’t start until 10:00 AM but I got there at 9 to pick up my package. I hung around and caught up with my friend Carly who I hadn’t seen in a long time!

IMG 1104

IMG 1107

It was kind of windy and cold waiting around. When it was time to start I was ready to go! From doing so many of these Dirty Feet races I have two of the blue shirts below 🙂 They are awesome, light technical racing shirts!

IMG 1111

As soon as we started I could feel how heavy my legs were from doing a hard 12-miles yesterday so I knew I was going to just take it easy and have fun.

We started out with a nice big hill to climb and then it was rolling hills with one more big one at the end for the rest of the race!

Screen shot 2011 09 25 at 5 10 43 PM

Mile 1 – 11:43

Mile 2 – 10:53

We got treated to some nice views after climbing so I suppose it was worth it 🙂

IMG 1113

I started to get REALLY hungry around this point. I guess the bagel I had at 7:30 AM and then the apple I had at about 9:00 AM was not enough to hold me over. The aid station at mile 3 could not come soon enough. I scarfed down 1/2 a banana and some gummy bears with my water!

Mile 3 – 11:12

Mile 4 – 11:06

It was a nice mix of single-track and double-track trail but most of the course was single-track, which I loved because it feels like true trail running!

IMG 1115

The last two miles went by fast and I felt good! There was some massive wind the last 0.5 miles or so which made it really hard to run against.

Mile 5 – 11:40

Mile 6 – 12:36

IMG 1108

Final Garmin Stats:

5.99 miles – 1:08:59 – 11:32 pace

These races always have the best spread of food! I treated myself to two mini cupcakes, some banana bread and some delicious veggie chips afterwards!

IMG 1117

Oh, and look who I met after the race! An 11-week old boxer puppy named Jada. I totally went up to the owner, introduced myself, told her I have a 15-week boxer puppy at home and chatted her up about boxers. I then got her contact information so we can have a boxer puppy playdate.

I feel like such a mom 😉

IMG 1120

I’m really glad I signed up for this race! I debated not doing it since I’m so focused on half-marathon training right now but it was SO nice to get back into the trails for a run this morning. I’ve been so focused on speed and pick-ups and nailing my paces that I forgot how good it feels to run in the trails and ignore your garmin. I didn’t listen to my iPod at all for the whole 10K race and didn’t miss it one bit!

This was my 9th race in 2011! Victoria will be my 10th and most likely my last for the year. Not a bad year for racing if you ask me!

***

Question of the day: How was your weekend? Did you do any running or racing?

Awesome job! That is such a beautiful place to race that it seems like the perfect race to do at your own pace with no ipod 🙂

My weekend was super busy. I had a birthday party with a bunch of high school friends on Friday and my cousin’s wedding last night. I still have a cold, obviously not made better by a lot of drinking this weekend, oops. I need a weekend to recover from my weekend! On that note, I’m headed to bed ridiculously early!

2. Wow! That is alot of races this year! I think I have ran 3 – DC, Charlotte 10k, and the 10 miler today. I did run this weekend, but only the 10 miler today that went ok, minus the dry heaving part. I guess 10 mile is just not my distance. 😉

Nice work! It is kind of nice that it started later so you didn’t have to get up super early and rush out the door!

3. I had a relaxing weekend. Yesterday I worked, then came home and read, watched television and fooled around on my desktop that has been giving me issues. Think I may have solved them too! Then today I slept in, read, did some writing and just enjoyed a day off.

4. Raquelita says:

It looks like a beautiful run! And those mini cupcakes are looking pretty good, too! Nine races is a lot! I was planning to run 10 in 2011, but it looks like 8 will be it for me. As today I ran a 10 mile race that will probably be my last of the year.

I love reading your race reports 🙂 I still think if we had trails like that around here, I would be more inspired to run. City sidewalks just don’t do it for me …

6. Wes says:

Nice job! I was planning on being there…was hoping to see and meet you. My plan was to do the race, then take my mom to Vancouver and visit my dad, who is in Vancouver General for a stem cell transplant. He had a bad day yesterday and went into Intensive Care. Needless to say, we went down last night instead of after the race today. Went for a run around False Creek instead. Nice for a change…I run Kenna all the time! Dad is out of ICU and doing better, though.

7. Jessica says:

Um, that cupcake is adorable. Talk about a great treat at the end of the race!

Congratulations on another great race Amber!

I ran my second half yesterday, and we know how that turned out for me 😉 The Victoria half will be my 7th race of the year, including a triathlon. A big change from the 3 last year and the 1 race the year before that 🙂

9. That view is amazing!! When you run do you take pictures with your phone?
    That’s so cute about the boxer playdate!! Love it!

10. SO FUN! I want to do a run like this, never have.

Running wise I ran 15 miles today, backwards through the Half Moon Bay marathon course, cheering for people. 🙂

11. That race looks so awesome, that view is amazing. I’m glad you had a good time.

12. Nice race, Amber! Looks like a pretty trail. I’m really looking forward to doing more short, local races after this marathon. 🙂

13. […] I ran ANOTHER Dirty Feet Trail Race […]

14. Kyria says:

That sounds like a great race! And you always get photos…do you stop to take them or take them on the run?

I have done 2 races this year but have been looking into a trail race next weekend and a longer race sometime in Nov. And maybe more. After all, it IS race season! They are addicting.

• MissAmber says:

A little of both. Sometimes I stop (the view of the city above) and sometimes I take them while running. I have a spibelt so it’s super easy to get my camera and/or phone out of it to snap photos!

Congrats on an awesome race!! You have some of the neatest races in Kamloops! I could use a couple of those cupcakes too…

16. Stefanie says:

This looks like so much fun! I need to run one of those some day. 🙂 Congrats!!!

17. Naomi says:

you had quite the weekend! trails + power yoga are no joke! congratulations on another successful race!

18. Phil Hiom says:

Hey Amber, Thanks for posting your race report and thanks again for coming and doing our race. It is always great to see you out enjoying the trails and our races. I’m glad to hear you met Jada, but be careful Jada is a bit of a bully! 🙂

See you on the trails soon and have a good race in Victoria.

19. nicole says:

🙂 yay!!!!!! what a great year for you amber!

20. susan says:

yeah saw you out there and such speed, way to go. See you in Victoria but i am doing the full marathon..my training hasnt been as good as yours..10 days left.

21. Cute mini cupcake 🙂

I did homework all weekend, which sucked because it was HOT out, and I missed the nice weather.

22. Trail running is such a different atmosphere from road racing. I love them both but trail runnning…you get to experience things like that view! Comgratulations on a great race and a hard training weekend!

23. […] year since 2010! With Eric hot on my heels for the entire race we managed to finish in 1:06, a two minute PR over the last time I did the 10km course two years ago (last year I did the 21 km option). It was […]