Minneapolis Trip: Day 2

In case you missed it:

***

This post is a little bit late because we’ve just been having so much fun! Day 3 is coming to an end, but here’s a recap of Day 2. I’m traveling home (BOO!) all day tomorrow so check back for a day 3 recap on Tuesday 🙂

Day 2 (Saturday) in Minneapolis was a big day! Lisa and I started the day off with a 5:50 AM alarm and a 10-mile run around the beautiful lake paths. When I booked my trip in February I told Lisa I wanted her to take me for a run where she did all her marathon training last year (we virtually trained for the Portland marathon together last summer).

The paths did not disappoint! It was absolutely gorgeous.

DSC_0920.JPG

I did pick-ups with Lisa (we are both training to run a sub 2-hour half marathon) so from miles 5-6 and miles 7-8 we picked it up to a 9:00 min/mile pace. Holy moly that was tough! I definitely need to keep working on my pick-ups for the next 6 weeks before Victoria.

After our run we headed back to Lisa’s, showered, grabbed Amber and stopped by the Farmers Market around the corner. I love Farmers Markets – if I ever come to visit you, take me to your Farmers Market 🙂

DSC_0873.JPG DSC_0874.JPG

We had some delicious crepes for breakfast…

DSC_0876.JPG

…then went up to the Guthrie Observation Deck and got some amazing views of Minneapolis and Lisa’s awesome neighbourhood! It was stunning. Lisa has posted photos of this before but photos really don’t do justice to how amazing it is in person!

DSC_0880.JPG

DSC_0884.JPG

Then it was time for the Minnesota State Fair!!

DSC_0895.JPG

DSC_0897.JPG

Oh the food. THE FOOD! Let me list all the foods we ate yesterday…

French fries (not pictured because we were all hungry and devoured them).

Roasted corn dipped in butter (so juicy and delicious):

DSC_0901.JPG

Sweet Martha’s Cookies in a cone (SO GOOD – I had sugar overload after eating about 5+ of these).

sweet marthas cookies.jpg

Sweet corn ice cream:

lisa and amber sweet corn icecream.jpg

Fried Pickles and pickles-on-a-stick:

DSC_0902.JPG DSC_0904.JPG

Cheese Curds:

cheese curds.jpg

The State Fair was a very “American” experience for me 😉

After eating our way through the fair we headed back to Lisa’s to relax and get ready for dinner at Chatterbox! Before dinner we took Amber to the lake we’d ran around to show her how pretty it is and, of course, take some pictures 🙂

DSC_0910.JPG

DSC_0917.JPG

Then it was dinnertime. Despite eating our weight in food at the State Fair we had room for more…Chatterbox is a really fun pub-type restaurant that has nintendo’s, board games and music bingo!

DSC_0924.JPG

We shared an amazing squash dip appetizer and I had a shrimp quesadilla which was SO GOOD for my meal. We also had a couple of drinks!

DSC_0926.JPG DSC_0930.JPG

We ended the night with some nintendo and music bingo!

DSC_0928.JPG

DSC_0932.JPG

It was a very full, but very fun, day! I can’t believe I go home tomorrow, I’m very sad about it. It’s been a great weekend and I’m not quite ready for it to end.

See you Tuesday with a recap of Day 3 (Sunday) in Minneapolis.

How is your weekend going? What have you been up to?

1. When you come to visit Amber, make sure she takes you to our Farmers’ Market. Des Moines’ is FABULOUS!

Haha, I love how focused Lisa is in that picture where she’s playing the video game! It looks like you all have had such a great time! Did you end up going back for the dress?!

Wow, so many gorgeous pictures! 🙂 It’s amazing how beautiful your weather was this weekend, since we were getting the hurricane. As for my weekend, we had a fun day yesterday seeing both Eric and my parents, but today was so boring… it was just rainy and windy all day. Everything was closed so we only went out for a few minutes to see if Starbucks would be open (it wasn’t). I got some reading and a little work done though, so probably a much needed relaxation day!

4. funsies!! I LOVE fairs. And I always get a huge corn dog (okay, pre-veg days) or a funnel cake. Yay for deep fried!

Weekend is good, ran a half marathon yesterday!

5. Ris says:

Sounds like you had an amazing time! You girls look like so much fun!

6. Kyria says:

That looks like so much fun! I love bars with games, board or video, and especially love the old Mario Bros!

That Chatterbox looks like SUCH a fun place!

You girls look like you had so much fun but I know tonight is bittersweet. 🙁

8. looks like fun! i recognize that purse as one i wanted too!! 😉

9. mandy says:

Seeing all these pictures makes me really happy that you were able to be there and experience it all and a bit sad that I wasn’t there with you. Those places all seem so familiar! The view from the Gutherie is amazing isn’t it?

10. That is a seriously old school nintendo. How cool! State Fairs are a very american thing to do… they’ll deep fry anything! Actually fried pickles are a favorite of mine.

and for the record, I hate the fair. We live less than a mile from NC’s state fairgrounds, so last year it created a traffic problem all around my house. We took the kids and it was one of the most expensive disasters I’ve ever had to live through and I’m vowing never to return.

11. Abby says:

That is awesome! Looks like you ladies had such a fun weekend! I, being an American my entire life, have never been to a state fair!! The thought of them actually frighten me — but I think I need to eventually buck up and give it a try!

The Chatterbox looked fun! I love how focused Lisa is on Super Mario. I remember when we were growing up, during intense snow storms where school would be called off for like a week — Lisa and I spent much quality time playing that game!

LOve that running trail!!!

12. lesli says:

I love all of your fun Minnesota State Fair pictures! They really capture the spirit of the fair–all the eating!

13. Its amazing the things they’ll deep fry isnt it? At the PNE this year they’re selling deep fried butter. No joke.

I love that a lot of the photos you took are places I recognize from last year when I was there. Ah, State Fair food. LOVE . Need more of it in my life. I might be going to a county fair this weekend and I really hope that they have some of this fried goodness there when I go, cause, you know, it’s oh so healthy and all.

And Chatterbox! LOVE THAT PLACE!!!!

Looks like such an amazing time! Who would have thought Minneapolis would have been that much fun? I love all the different types of food you tried! The roasted corn and pickles sound delish!!

Your tour guides sound very nice!!

16. I had a great weekend, but now I am back to work, and back to real-life …

17. Shoshanah says:

I saw one of you (I think Lisa?) tweet a picture of that squash dip and thought it looked so delicious! (And still think the same from this picture!) Between all the tweets and all the recaps, part of me feels like I was there with you guys! 🙂