10 Personal Questions

One of my favourite bloggers ever – Caitlin at Healthy Tipping Point – does this 10 Personal Questions series. Want to kill your productivity for the afternoon? Go read through the comments on these posts. I love learning little personal tidbits about people!

Anyways, since I love stealing other bloggers ideas, I’m going to answer her most recent questions here:

garden flowers.jpg

What are you really good at? What are you really bad at?

I’m really good at: Listening, cleaning, managing money, talking to new people and writing. I’m really bad at: Being nice when I’m in a bad mood, math, spreadsheets, talking on the phone (well I don’t think you can be bad at this but I do hate talking on the phone).

Have you ever been in a car accident? What happened?

I’ve been in two major accidents. Once I rear-ended Eric when he was driving his truck in front of me (this was several years ago) and totally messed up my car. The second accident happened when we first moved to Kamloops. Eric was driving, a car turned left in front of us and we slammed into it. The airbag hit me in the face and gave me a bloody nose and I FREAKED OUT. I was actually blogging at the time (but no-one was reading yet) so you can read about it here.

Why did you attend your college?

I attended Grande Prairie Regional College (GPRC) for two years and Thompson Rivers University (TRU) for two years. I went to GPRC because it was close to home (about a 2.5 hour drive) and my mom really wanted me to, in hindsight it was a great decision and I loved my two years there. I then moved to Kamloops to go to TRU because it had the only journalism degree program in the province.

Describe your morning routine today.

You mean lack thereof? Let’s see, my alarm went off at 4:45, I snoozed it until 5:30. At 5:30 I wandered downstairs to feed Chloe and let her out to go to the bathroom. When she came back in she went straight back to her bed so I laid down on the couch and fell back asleep until 6:30. Whoops – so much for running this morning!

It’s now 7:15 so in the last 45 minutes I’ve made coffee (and now feel more alive), eaten a bowl of cereal and I’m writing this blog post. After I hit publish on this and finish my coffee I’ll take Chloe for a quick walk and play with her and then get ready for work!

Have you ever snooped through someone else’s things? Did you find anything interesting?

Yes. I’ve snooped a few times in the past. I’ve never found anything “interesting” per say.

What do you think happens when you die?

I actually re-wrote my answer to this question like 10 times so I guess the short answer would be; I don’t know. Have you ever been under anesthesia? I went under to get my wisdom teeth taken out a few years ago and for a long time I thought that’s what happened when you die; basically nothing. It’s black. But I find that thought quite depressing and sad so I like to believe there is something more, whether that be heaven, an after-life or reincarnation in some shape or form.

orchid.jpg

Are you superstitious?

No, not at all. Though I do knock on wood sometimes when I say things that might “jinx” me or someone else.

Do people think you are younger or older than you actually are?

Always older. I am a pretty mature 22-year-old (ALMOST 23 ;) ) and people always say I look and act much older than I am. I guess it’s a compliment!?

How did your parents’ relationship influence you?

My parents separated when I was 10. It was hard when it happened but in hindsight it was definitely the best thing for my brother and I. We always spent Christmas and holidays together as a family. I rarely, if ever, had to “choose a side”. We even went on family vacations together – like to Disneyland! Lots of people thought our family dynamic was strange but it worked well for us and I’m glad I grew up with my mom and my dad around all the time.

What were the three happiest moments of your life?

Wow, why is this so tough? I have lots of happy moments! OK, I’ll do my best: Many, many moments during our Europe trip (is that cheating? Heh!), the night we got engaged and the day we got possession of our townhouse – all of these happened within the last two years, too!

Your turn! Answer one, or all of these, in the comments section :)

Wow – I don’t think I’ll answer all of the questions – but I’ll answer the superstitious one!

I can’t say I’m super superstitious, but I don’t like the idea of ghosts. Or walking under ladders. It’s just something I don’t do! And I’ll knock on wood too.

And I clicked through to your accident post and laughed a little at the lack of comments. Only three! lol – You’ve come a long way!

2. How funny! I have written this same post for tomorrow! But with my answers. ha. =)

3. I am really bad at talking on the phone. I can never tell when the other person is going to say something, so I always interrupt or end the call too soon, or do something weird like that. I’d much rather be face-to-face.

4. Ugh… people always think I’m older. They use the excuse that I carry myself well and have a greater maturity than most my age. I pretend that’s the real reason. However, I do know I just “look” a little older than others my age. I’m 26- people tend to throw me in the 28-29 range.

First person to guess 30 is getting kicked in the junk. For real. Yeah… I’m REAL mature…

5. Katrina says:

I’m going to answer all the questions just because.

What are you really good at? What are you really bad at?
    I’m really good at cooking, cleaning and coming up with idea’s. I’m really bad a keeping my clothes folded and hung up, they usually end up on the floor of my clothes bedroom. I’m also really bad at making conversation with new people.

Have you ever been in a car accident? What happened?
    Yes in two that i can remember, when i was like 6 or 7 we were on a road trip and got tboned in Red Deer. And with my cousin Lester about 5 or 6 years ago coming back to Calgary after Thanksgiving weekend we hit black ice and rolled his truck. I was sleeping and literally JUST put my seatbelt back on. YIPES

Why did you attend your college?
    I took two years off after high school and then moved to Calgary and got a job with and Oil & Gas company and I’m still here….college kind of got put on hold….I’ll be 30 next year, I’m still thinking about what I want to do when i grown up. 😉

Describe your morning routine today.
    Get up at 5, run a bath if i’m too tired and lazy for a shower, running a bath buys me 10 more mins in bed lol after that do my make up then hair, blow drying and straighting, wake my husband and daughter up, make breakfast and lunches, find an outfit (this can take a long time) iron clothes, get daughter fed and dressed, drive her to dayhome, drive to work, have my coffee with reading blogs and emails.

How did your parents’ relationship influence you?
    They have been married since 1979…there have been some good times and bad times, i want to be married to my best friend for at least that long if not longer. Also thought me that the not so fun times to come and go, its part of life. Also its made me more aware of habits in my own marriage that i try and stop before they go any further…..like me nagging my husband lol

Of course, who hasn’t…..but only of my husband stuff when we were dating lol

What do you think happens when you die?
    I think nothing we just sit in the wooden box until its time to go to Heaven 🙂

Are you superstitious?
    No….its annoying when people are….they seem to use superstition as an excuse for everything, nothing can happen just because…but to each their own i guess.

Do people think you are younger or older than you actually are?
    OLDER!!! I started here when I was 20 and people thought I was older then, i’m told that i’m mature for my age, and old soul…..i don’t know if that’s a compliment, to me that means i’m super boring lol which is so not true i’m so fun lol

What were the three happiest moments of your life?
    Happiest would be without a doubt June 27, 2010, my baby Taylor was born at 11:06pm, the most beautiful part of my life. Then August 6, 2009 the day I married my best friend Steven…..and lastley but not the least would be December 25th every year….i just love Christmas lol 🙂

6. You’re definitely mature for your age. I actually completely forgot that you’re younger than me. You dont LOOK old though. 🙂

• MissAmber says:

At first I read this as “You LOOK old though” and was like ouch! Then I saw the ‘don’t’ 😛

I despise talking on the phone too. I don’t even want to talk to my boyfriend or mom on the phone. I would much rather talk in person or email or text!

8. Amber's Mom says:

Three happiest moments of my life: #1 – Amber was born, #2 – Logan was born, and I’m still waiting for #3.

I’m thinking it will be when my grandchildren are born. 😛

This is fun! I wonder how I haven’t heard of it before 🙂

My morning routine is pretty lame lately. On the days we have the girls I get up around 6 am, wake up the kidlets, get them fed, dressed, and send them off with hugs (for Knight too, only he can dress himself. Ha.) Days we don’t have the girls i get up about oh, 15 minutes before work. On days I’m super motivated I get up and workout on the treadmill and do my weights.

Also, can I just say that your mom’s comment is totally adorable?

And yes, I think you are a very mature 22 year old 🙂 I often forget that you are my brother’s age! (You’ll both be 23 in the same month, too.)

10. You are definitely more mature than the average 22 year old! You must be an old soul 😉

I have recently been reading quite a bit about souls and past lives and have lots of theories about what happens when we do die. I do believe in heaven and I believe in former lives. It’s really interesting! When I started thinking about people in terms of 1st, 2nd, 3rd (and so on) lives, it’s easier to accept the things I dislike about them and only take away the things I do like about them.

• MissAmber says:

Sounds fascinating! Would love to hear what books/resources you’ve been reading. I like learning/reading/hearing about that kind of stuff!

11. Ris says:

I like to think of myself as not superstitious but I totally am! I’ll jokingly knock on wood or cross my fingers but I would feel spooked if I didn’t do those little things!

12. I am actually terrified of death. It’s something I have struggled with as a child and then in college and any time I really think about it. I don’t know, but assume it’s black like you say…nothing. But I want it to be something. I want to go on living. I’m the kind of person who would choose to live forever if I could make it happen.

My am routine: wake up, run/strength train/yoga for 20-45 min depending on how much time I have, take the dog for a walk, water plants, shower, dress, breakfast, read blogs/email/watch tv (IF I have time). Race to work. Always feel late no matter what. I’m trying to get to work earlier, but it is really hard for me to get there even by 830am!

I think I’m going to do this 🙂 cuz I love stealing blog ideas from you!

Also I definitely don’t think you LOOK old, but I think most people 22ish-35ish are really all over the place as far as looks go and I have a hard time judging age once people are out of college or so. I can see why people think you are older though because most people who are 22 are not engaged and own a house- I actually forget how young you are sometimes haha.

On another note, I just went back and read your post from the car accident. Did Eric end up staying at fault for that? It seems so unfair!

14. Jesse says:

super fun! i saw this over on healthy tipping point too and i love reading through the comment threads also.

i am very superstitious! i am bad at math too. but i’m really good at spreadsheets 🙂

Fun! I like this post idea.

I’ve been in one accident….just last February when someone rear ended me. Oh and I backed into a dumpster one time in high school. Yes, it is possible.

My three happiest moments would have to be: getting married, buying a house, getting a puppy and finding out that I am pregnant! (JUST KIDDING!!- on the last one)

16. nicole says:

Responding from my phone so ill only answer one ?…. Happiest day of my life was when we got engaged!! 🙂

17. Shoshanah says:

I’m always so paranoid that I’m going to rear end someone when I’m following them. For this reason I am the worst car follower and put too much distance between us, which means cars always get in front of me. But I’d rather get slightly lost than ruin both my car and the car of someone I know.

18. That sucks about those car accidents! Glad you’re okay though.
    You wake up at 4:45?! Whoaa. What time do you go to sleep?

• MissAmber says:

Not every day! Usually just Tues and Wed because those are the mornings I run (even though I slept through this mornings run). I’m usually in bed between 9 and 10 pm every night!

I often forget you’re a FULL YEAR younger than me. I find that so insane because you seem so mature. Way more than me. 😉

Everyone always thinks I’m younger than I am. They usually think I’m in high school. For example, last week? My boot camp trainer had to make sure I was old enough to WORK… like be 16 or something, so she could take my measurements. She actually asked me that! Ummm… I’m going to be 24 in a few months. I know I look 15, but I promise I’m much older. 😉 Oh, well. Hopefully this will all be the same 20 years from now, hehe.

20. Love the morning routine! I like your style 😉

21. I still can’t believe you are 22. It doesn’t seem possible. I feel like we are the same age. You are def mature for your age. 🙂

This was a good set of questions. I might have to steal this post, too! I will answer the 3 happiest moments of my life:

1. My Paris trip in February, walking along the Seine and having one of those “I can’t believe this is my life and I get to visit this beautiful country”
    2. Becoming an aunt – that is actually 5 moments, but I will lump them all together.
    3. last one is a toss up between finding out I passed the CFA level I or maybe a day spent discovering my new neighborhood!

22. Lindsay says:

I love how your parents made it work while you were growing up. Great sacrifice on their part as I’m sure they had their reasons for the split!

I once lightly backed into a lady who was too close to me anyway in a parking lot (I was slightly pulled out into the road and an 18-wheeler was coming for me…) For a few seconds I thought “I’ll just drive off – I can get away on the interstate”. (!!!) what was wrong with me? But ultimately pulled into a bank while the lady was a bitch. It was seriously a scratch on her bumper…

I also got hit from behind at a light by a guy who thought I had already gone. I forgot about going to traffic court when his incident came up and he stalked me at work to say thanks for not showing up and could he take me to lunch. Umm no. I was in high school and he was like 30.

And then one time I pulled into my driveway and hit josh’s truck–small scratch on his bumper. He was cleaning out the gutters and didn’t even hear/notice.

23. Wendy says:

Oh, I hate talking on the phone too! Hard when I’m in the public sector though, but luckily I deal more face to face than over the phone.

Ah, I do forget sometimes that you’re in your early twenties, you seem quite mature and have a good grasp on life! Don’t worry, you look quite young! I have a somewhat bipolar view on my age, largely depending on whether I’m in work clothes and whether I’m wearing makeup or not. When I first started working at 22, I always got guessed around 27-30 because it was assumed by some to have a Masters degree and I also by the way I act (I’ve been told quiet and level-headed), these days it’s around 30-ish (I’m 27, my brother likes to remind me that I’m now in my ‘late twenties’). However, once I’m out of work clothes and into my jeans, it goes all over the place! I recently was back in Toronto getting a facial with my mom, and they guessed around 17-18! Still get carded on occasion, which I bet you do from time to time! Crazy how much clothes and makeup can influence the age they think that you are!

24. mandy says:

You are incredibly mature 22 year old. I really loved reading this, Amber. I think its fantastic that your parents took you and your brother on vacations together and spending holidays together.

25. Morning routine (on a workday):

Alarm goes off at 7:30.
    7:30 – 7:45 Shower
    7:45 – 8:05 Make/eat breakfast
    8:05 – 8:20 Comb hair, dress, makeup

8:20 grab coffee and lunch and leave for work.

26. Nikki says:

You can add me to the list of people who also hate to talk on the phone and who forget how young you are! You seem more like someone closer my age (30) than other people in their early 20s I know!

Also I may steal (re-steal) this idea for a post!