One Year to Go!

Hey guys! Gosh, the blog world is dead lately isn’t it? I guess everybody is out and about enjoying their gorgeous summer that is already passing much too quickly. I, on the other hand, am currently sitting in Starbucks killing time while I wait to go catch my flight home from Medicine Hat so I am going to keep blogging away even if not to many people are reading 😉

I have to say that despite the snake scare I have absolutely fallen in love with the running paths in this city. Check out the view from the running path I was on last night:

photo(48).jpg

Gorgeous! I had a nice 5-miler on this path and around the downtown area of the city last night. It was fun. I’m not gonna lie, when I first found out I had to come to Medicine Hat for work I was NOT looking forward to it. I thought it was just a dinky town in Southern Alberta. BUT I am leaving with a huge appreciation for the city. It is a really nice city with really nice people and great outdoor recreation (they have over 90 km of paved running and biking trails!). This is a place I could picture myself living!

After I wrapped up at my event this afternoon I headed to the Zucchini Blossom Cafe. It’s been rated as one of the top places to eat in Canada so being a true foodie I knew I had to check it out!

photo(49).jpg

I’d already eaten lunch so I had a piece of carrot cake and an iced coffee.

photo(50).jpg

The carrot cake itself was just OK but the cream cheese icing was unbelievable. Probably some of the best cream cheese icing I’ve ever had. And the iced coffee was REALLY good, too. I’m sad I didn’t get to eat lunch there as they had some great selections – with lots of vegan and gluten-free options. Maybe the next time I am here (I honestly do hope I make it back here one day).

In other news…

Screen shot 2011-07-09 at 12.46.29 PM.png

Today marks exactly one year until our wedding! I guess it’s our pre-anniversary 🙂 On one hand, I can’t believe there is a whole year to go, I just want to marry Eric NOW. On the other hand, I have a feeling this year will fly by in a blink of an eye. It feels like yesterday Kelly was getting married and tomorrow is her one year anniversary!

While I had access to cable over the last week I spent A LOT of time watching wedding shows on TLC and Slice. Like ‘Say Yes to the Dress’ ‘Say Yes to the Dress: Bridesmaids’ ‘Wedding SOS’ and ‘Rich Bride, Poor Bride’

Holy crapola, some of those brides and bridesmaids are CA-RA-ZY! Seriously people, it is ONE DAY OF YOUR LIFE! So far I feel like I have been a very laidback bride. I am kind of in the ‘it is just one day I don’t care that much’ category. I can be a little bit type-A and anal sometimes so my #1 goal over the next year is to keep my easygoing, laidback attitude about the wedding.

***

If you’re married, what is your anniversary? And were you a laidback bride or a crazy one? If you’re not married, do you think you’ll be an easygoing or crazy bride (or groom for the few guy readers out there!) one day? Any advice for ways to maintain my easygoing attitude over the next year?

1. Sarah says:

We have just over 100 days til the wedding!

I go through stages. I stress out about something, realize its a) either important and keep stressing, or b) not that important and let it go.

Honestly, I just want it to be 100 days from now & everything is magically looked after already!

Well, since we JUST got married just over a month ago, our anniversary isn’t for another year! But I was more or less a pretty laid back bride, or at least I like to think I was! Sure, there were certain things that HAD to be a certain way or had to have a certain look, but I was easy going.

And Say Yes To the Dress/Bridesmaid Dress is hilarious and scary at the same time. $12,000 on a wedding dress? That’s more than my entire wedding cost! And I can’t imagine those poor bridesmaids who have to spring for their own $500 dress.

Yup 1 year ago DOES feel like a second ago. I also very clearly remember my pre-anniversary, and everyone saying its going to go by so fast. In some ways it did and in some ways it took forever 🙂

Contrary to what it may have seemed on my blog, I was actually a laid back bride as far as what I actually wanted. However, some outside factors still made the process very stressful. I’m not going to be one of those people who offers you a ton of advice, tells you to remember “it’s just one day” and says that I was totally stress free during my wedding (I’ve actually read bloggers who say that and then I go back and read their blog before the wedding and they were totally stressed HA). These things kind of annoy me, so I won’t do them. Honestly, weddings are stressful even if they are just one day. There are a LOT of opinions involved and a lot of planning to do. Another huge problem I had was I just didn’t want to waste that much time planning for 1 day haha, but it is a really fun one day 🙂

On the other hand, I’m having a grand time planning for my trip to your wedding. We just got back to our hotel for a little break before dinner and I’ve already been googling about BC. Hehe. Trip planning > Wedding planning!

• Caroline says:

I second Kelly – she was a very laid back bride! Made things a lot easier on me : ) I can’t believe how fast this past year has gone and I’m sure this next year will fly by!

4. abbi says:

The year will fly by for you! I can’t believe I’ve been married three years!

5. Melissa says:

The blog world really has been super quiet these days! I love that your wedding day is going to be the day before my birthday next year! July is the perfect month to get married 🙂 (… and to have a birthday, hehe)

Our anniversary is August 2nd – we’re going camping to celebrate. How romantic. Don’t get me wrong, I love camping – but I’d rather celebrate our anniversary with good food and a nice hotel 🙂 I was laid back at first, but my MIL eventually drove me crazy. It didn’t help that my dress didn’t arrive until the Thursday before the Saturday wedding and still had to be altered. I get stressed out just thinking about it! Happy pre-anniversary 🙂

7. Katrina says:

Married, our anniversary is August 6th. I was the most laid back bride ever lol and what helped was reminding myself that I want only good memories of the planning and wedding day for myself, everyone involved and guests. There really is no need from bridezillas!!! LoL Its suppose to be and very easily can be a fun time without all the dramatics.

8. Er says:

Our wedding date is super close to yours! Can’t wait to read more of your blog and wedding plans…I love reading about people in the same boat!

9. Haha…I love some of those bride shows. Bridezillas is CRAZY and Say Yes to the Dress is kind of fun. But I rarely get to watch them nowadays bc we don’t normally have extended cable (except this month for the Tour de France). I love exploring new little cities. Medicine Hat looks like a great one. I always have a great appreciation as a runner for cities with good bike paths and nature areas for people to spend time outdoors.

10. Our wedding anniversary is November, 10th.

And although I’m very type A I was a totally laid back bride. Having a long time to plan the wedding (over a year) helped. It meant that I was ready for the big day when it came around.

Plus, I had a wedding coordinator that was there to keep everything running smoothly.

As for advice – just don’t sweat the small stuff. In the end what you’ll most remember is how you felt! 🙂

11. H-woman says:

I’m single with no wedding in the foreseeable future. One day, yes, but not sure when…

That said, I’ve got it all planned, and to be fair to my groom there are two choices:
    Option A: Waterton National Park, overlooking the lake with bagpipes
    Option B: Beach in Hawaii

=)

I suggest lots of yoga to keep you zen throughout the next year.

12. I love watching those shows whenever I can get my hands on cable! I’m definitely a laid-back bride. I’m getting married at the end of August in my aunt’s backyard, self-catering my wedding, wearing a sundress and barefeet, my honeymoon suite will be a tent in a field, my cake is an apple pie, and there are 40 guests and one bridesmaid. I don’t know how people handle anything more than that – there’s too many decisions to make as it is! Haha.

Happy pre-anniversary! The year will fly by, I’m sure.

13. Joey says:

I agree, Medicine Hat is not a bad place to live at all. I spent 4 months there doing my practicum. Albeit, it was in the winter so I mainly saw a TON of snow (unusual for that part of AB), I still really liked the little city. Nice people, pretty good location in AB (near to SK where I am from), and pretty.

14. Joey says:

Oooh, also with the wedding questions! I’m married and our anniversary is December 23. We’ll have been married 5 years this Christmas. I was laid back and we had a small wedding of about 50 people.
    We’re planning to do a teeny, tiny vow renewal ceremony in the next couple of months though. With just us and a celebrant, not with any guests.

YAY! One year and counting! It definitely will fly by, but I think your attitude is great about this. I was 24 when I got married and we had an 18-month engagement. I definitely was a bride-zilla some of the times (not with money, more with wanting to control details), that it’s sometime embarrassing to think about!

It’s crazy how as you get older times goes faster – Ben and I will have been married for four years in October!

16. I’m not married as you know… and I do not think I will be a super-stressed bride, because I have been a bridesmaid when the bride was uber stress and it is not fun for the others to be quite honest. My fave weddings were the ones where the bride was just happy and excited and accepted that some things would inevitably not go according to plan!

I think it’s good to keep in mind that we all remember so little from weddings – like I don’t realy remember many centerpieces or things like that, so I think I will try to keep that in perspective and ask myself, “does this really matter?”

17. Oh and I forgot to say that it’s so exciting that your wedding is one year away!!! Woo hoo!!!!

Our anniversary is coming up next month (Aug 14) which is crazy to me! It seems like yesterday that I was counting down the days and doing projects upon projects for the wedding. And I can’t believe that it’s been almost a year since the wedding. Seriously goes by so fast!

I was a super laid back bride….but I liked having control of everything. Only because I knew I could get it done and it was easier for me to do it.

I would *like* to say I would be a laid-back bride, but I can get stressed very easily and it makes me CRAZY sometimes, ha. I mean, I’m not the type to want a $12,000 dress but I like to have control so I think all those little details would get to me.

Happy pre-anniversary!

20. Our 7th anniversary is coming up this July 23rd.

I was a very laid back bride, and I had SO much fun!

21. Speaking as a bride who is just 5 days away from the BIG DAY–I’ll tell you this.

There WILL be moments when things will stress you out—but don’t let it consume you. There will be issues that arise that you just have to deal with–and then you move on 🙂

My entire wedding planning process has been SUPER fun–and I tried to just “go with the flow” on most issues. Honestly, two of the hardest issues for us were the guest list–and then making the seating chart! My future father-in-law couldn’t understand why my fiance didn’t want to include certain people on the list—but we kept our stand, and he got over it. And as for the seating chart–it can just be a little overwhelming to face–but once you sit down and commit to doing it–it’s fine!

Anytime I felt stressed about what someone told me to do—–I tried to remind myself that no matter what they said—it is “OUR” day–and we can do what we want. I mean, we paid for our entire wedding on our own—so I feel like we’re entitled to call the shots 🙂

I knew what I wanted for our wedding–and I made it happen. I don’t think I was Bridezilla-ish and I’ve really enjoyed so much of this entire process. I can’t believe the actual wedding is almost here. NUTS!

Continue on with your happy planning 🙂

22. C says:

That one year will fly! I had a 21 month engagement and it went by in a blink.

23. Happy pre-anniversary 🙂 I just saw your engagement photos on your Facebook page and they are amazing! You look beautiful- the one of you and Eric clinking Coke bottles under an umbrella may be the cutest thing I’ve ever seen!

24. nicole says:

I’m trying to keep the easy going attitude too but some of my bridesmaids are starting to be crazy. it isnt just the bridesmaid dress they have to pay for and i feel like people should seriously think about everything wrapped up in weddings before agreeing to being apart of it… especially if they cant afford it or dont want to pay it. 🙂 it isnt cheap! 🙂 Happy pre anniversary!

25. Tara says:

You should totally check out Off Beat Bride! Such a wonderful website for support, inspiration and ideas!

26. Liz A says:

Hi Amber! I stumbled onto your blog the other day from another blog (isn’t that always how it happens?) and have been reading some of your past posts.

I think July 9th is a fabulous day to get married – that’s the day I got married! Yep, just two weeks ago and I still have my fake nails to prove it! I was pretty laid back about it until the last two months or so (we were engaged for over two years), then I got pretty stressed out and had a few “episodes”. I don’t think I was as crazy as anyone on those tv shows though!

Good luck with the next year of planning – your day will be here before you know it!