An Eventful Run

photo(44).jpg

Everytime I travel anywhere – whether for work or for fun – I always bring my running stuff. I absolutely love going for runs in new places and I think it’s the best way to explore a city.

This week was no different. I’m currently in Medicine Hat, Alberta representing one of our clients at an event and I knew I wanted to get a run in while I was here. I did some googling yesterday and found the following trail map online:

Screen shot 2011-07-07 at 8.11.41 AM.png

I did some google mapping and found out the closest trails to my hotel were Ross Park, so I drove the 2 km over there this morning.

I actually started my run at a small school area. A lady was just starting her walk when I got there so I asked her if it was a good place to run and she told me where to go. She warned me that it was hilly and I kind of scoffed a little thinking that what I’d seen of the city so far was not hilly at all. How wrong I was!

photo(36).jpg

About 1 mile later I arrived at the entrance to the trail. My jaw dropped. It was so pretty!

photo(37).jpg

And then I ran into this sign…

photo(38).jpg

Eeeep! I almost turned around right there but I ran into another lady who was biking on the trail and mentioned I was from out-of-town and the sign kind of freaked me out. She said she’d lived there for 10 years and never seen a rattle snake so that made me feel a little better. At the time anyways…

I came to a fork in the path and decided to run 1/2 mile out one way and then come back and run 1/2 mile out the other way so I could check out both areas. I actually ended up running 3/4 mile out the first way because I was so enamoured by the amazing scenery!

photo(39).jpg

photo(40).jpg photo(42).jpg

But oh man was it ever hilly! After running in flat FSJ all of last week the hills were hard on my legs!

Screen shot 2011-07-07 at 8.25.01 AM.png

photo(41).jpg

I was literally right at the end of the trail when the “eventful” part of the run started. Sure enough, 3 feet from the friggin rattlesnake sign I SEE A SNAKE! (this is not the first time I’ve had to jump over a snake!) It was of course gone by the time I collected myself enough to take a photo but I did a little photoshopping to show you where it was.

snake.jpg

I screamed SO loudly. A lady up the trail who was walking her dog turned around to look at me. It was a little green snake and I’m not even 100% sure it was a rattlesnake. Maybe it was baby? Either way it scared the crap out of me and my heart was beating so hard. I hustled the mile back to my car as fast as I could!

My face was bright red at the end of the run from the hills, the sun and the snake scare!

photo(45).jpg

I am now eating a measly hotel breakfast while writing this blog post. Don’t hotel breakfasts always leave something to be desired?

photo(46).jpg

Other than the snake scare I really adored the park I ran in. It was seriously so, so, so beautiful. I kept thinking how my reward for getting out of bed early and running on the crazy hills was the amazing scenery and view. I found myself wishing I’d gotten there earlier so I could run longer! I’m hoping to squeeze in one more run tomorrow through the downtown area of Medicine Hat.

Better go get ready and get to the event for the day!

Do you go running when you visit new cities and places?

1. I HATE SNAKES, OMG. HATE. When I was little, my grandparents lived in Arizona and we were going swimming at a neighbors house. I walked up on their porch and their was an enormous King Snake, which is harmless BUT STILL OMG. My grandma was all, “Walk over it!” like it was no big deal. Clearly, I’m still traumatized TWENTY YEARS LATER.

Back when I was actually *fit* (2004?) I loved running in new places. That was the summer I went to Spain – I remember getting up early to go running the week I was in Malaga. I was a bit afraid to run in a strange city – especially since I didn’t speak the language all that well – but I found my way to the beach and just ran in a straight line 🙂 It was amazing … I think if I had a beach to run on, I could get up early to run every day!

Haha, I’m not laughing at you, but I’m laughing at picturing you seeing the snake and screaming at it! I have had one encounter while I was running before…but it was just a little garden snake, but I still ran really quickly past it!

I’ve never been to Medicine Hat, your pictures of the trails make it look pretty nice though!

Ahhh! That’s all! I’m freaking out just thinking of this!

5. Ris says:

Oh I am SO scared of snakes–I probably would have turned around when I saw that sign! Glad everything worked out ok for you!

That is a BEAUTIFUL trail. Wow. I kinda wanna go run it right this very second. Well, as long as I can pretend there are no snakes. I hate them!!

SCARY!!!

I love running in new places though. I ran in Vegas on my last vacation there. It was so much fun! I loved it!

When I went to Arizona a few months ago I ran a few times in the desert and it was amazing too. It made me so happy to be able to run somewhere new. AND I saw a snake in AZ too! It was a diamonback rattler! YIKES

8. erin says:

ugh i would have DIED. i’m deathly terrified of snakes. I can’t even see pictures, or magazines (national geographic, i have to read the toc before i even attempt to flip through). on tv – ah i freak OUT!

my dad sent me an article about some snakes really populating the area where I live. I told dad i wouldn’t read the article. I do go mountain biking, but it’s such a busy trail that I highly doubt taht we’d run into a snake on the trail. hiking on the other hand leaves me very anxious the entire time. I always tell the people i’m with if you see a snake, DO NOT tell me!

I do have a hilarious story – both my older sister and i lived together for a short time in college. We both were getting home from class, and it was getting dark out. well, weirdly enough we saw a snake in front of our townhouse. and we darted back in the car and texted her husband to get him to move it. he kept telling us to jump over it. YEAH. no way jose!!!!! we were in teh car for like 20 minutes before it disappeared.

I probably would have run in the total opposite direction of the snake, true story. I’m a baby.

The trail and area looks totally gorgeous though. I love it! I definitely try to run or exercise in the towns I visit. It’s so much fun to explore, learn and see new scenery. Hopefully the rest of your runs will be snake free 🙂

10. So that snake thing is kind of terrifying! I’ve never run into one while running before, but that’s due to me running in the city and not in the ‘burbs or the country. I have no doubt that when I do, though, I’ll freak. So good for you for continuing your run and enjoying it! I wish I could be as dedicated as you!

11. That run looks BEAUTIFUL!! I love running in new cities, I agree, its the best way to get to know the area. When I went to Cannon Beach it was the first thing I did.
    I think the little green snakes are the harmless garden ones, but I could be wrong. I would have screamed too anyhow. I totally squealed the other day when I almost stepped on a dead mouse. Its just upsetting.

Kinda wish we had a video of you seeing the snake and screaming, haha. Just saying 🙂 I would totally freak out if I saw a snake too though.

Love running in new places. Might have to do that this weekend!

Funny enough, my last out-of-town run was in Medicine Hat also! They have beautiful paths there, and it is definitely hilly!!

I saw a family of snakes sunning themselves last year on a run by my house and I screamed so loud!! My hubby pointed them out to me- I probably wouldn’t have noticed them if he hadn’t. I won’t run on that part of the pathway anymore as there are too many low bushes where the snakes could be hiding!

Hope the rest of your work trip goes well!

14. I love running in new cities- it is a great way to see the sites! (and apparently the wildlife as well- eek!)
    My husband is originally from Medicine Hat- it really is pretty on the prairies!

Yikes! I’m afraid of snakes! .. and spiders..

When I travel I usually stick to the hotel treadmill, but I think that’s mostly because of the types of places that I’ve visited. It’s either too dangerous, hilly or hot! But I’m officially moved into my new city so I’m excited to explore on my runs : )

16. What a beautiful run – well, minus the snake siting! Yikes!

I try to run in the cities I visit if I can. I loved running in Paris!

Good luck with your run tomorrow! 🙂

17. mandy says:

Snakes scare the crap out of me. Like big time. I scream even if I am in my car and see one going across the road. Those views are gorgeous though!

18. I have to admit this entry made me giggle just a little! 🙂 Mostly because I can picture you screaming and I know, I would have done the exact same thing!!!

Just like heat and I don’t get along, the same goes for me and wildlife!

19. nicole says:

I hate snakes!!! but it looks like a pretty run!