Tracking My Mileage

Good morning!

The other day I was uploading my runs, via my Garmin, and it got me thinking about the ways that I go about tracking my mileage and I decided it warranted a blog post because it might seem kind of crazy to some!

DSC_0245.JPG

Remember how I ran 900 miles last year? Well, the way that I knew that is because I keep track of my mileage on two different websites. RunningAhead, which I have used since I first started running and have a major nostalgic attachment to and Dailymile, which is a really fun site and kind of like the ‘Facebook’ for runners. I only track my runs on RunningAhead but I track ALL my workouts on Dailymile.

I really like RunningAhead because it has all my runs on it since February 2009 (where my running journey started when I was training for my first half-marathon) and also because it shows me my splits really quickly and easily which is helpful for when I’m writing my race reports. It also has a quick at-a-glance summary that shows my totals for the week, the month and the year so far.

Screen shot 2011-06-21 at 8.50.51 PM.png

RunningAhead also feeds directly to a widget on my blog so you can see what running I’ve been up to lately over on the left side bar there.

Screen shot 2011-06-21 at 8.47.35 PM.png

I like Dailymile because it shows an elevation profile of my run and the route I ran (when uploaded directly via my Garmin) and I think the social aspect of it is cool. People can leave you motivating comments right on your workouts!

Screen shot 2011-06-21 at 8.49.06 PM.png

Plus, since I do a lot of cross-training, it’s nice to see the total time I spend working out each week instead of just my mileage (which can be low). The social aspect of Dailymile is fun too. I like seeing what my friends are doing for workouts and commenting on them.

I guess when it comes down to it I like Dailymile for a more detailed view of my runs and RunningAhead for a more high-level, big-picture overview! I know running isn’t all about the mileage but I still find extreme joy in tracking my miles 🙂

So here are some of my numbers.

Since starting running in February 2009 – 2,064.5 miles or 3322.5 km

In 2011 – 402.7 miles or 648 km

June so far – 63.1 miles or 101.5 km

This week so far – 0 miles or 0 km 😀

Do you track your running mileage or your workouts? If so, what do you use?

1. Wow – you have banked alot of miles this year/month! I used to mostly hand-track my mileage, which is kind of stupid because you can only hold onto paper calendars for so long and it’s a pain to add up your mileage. I’m back on the dailymile wagon now, though, and really like it! I didn’t even know about that other running website!

2. Laura says:

I use dailymile but am thinking about using something different for my running as well.

3. Cheryl says:

Thats INCREDIBLE! You have ran the distance from here to there 3x! Thats awesome!

I don’t run or workout yet but when I start it will be nice to see what I have accomplished.

4. lisa says:

i just use a notebook – low tech, but it works for me

5. I just signed up for mapmyrun that tracks workouts… we’ll see how much I like it. Or how discouraged it may make me! lol

I’ve tried sites like Daily Mile and Runner’s World training log but for some reason I can never stick to them like I can when I actually write them down. For marathon training, I printed out a calendar of the next four months with all my scheduled runs and then I’ve been crossing the days off and writing in other things I do in addition to running. Seems to work for me, I don’t know why. I like the idea of tracking mileage though (good for knowing when to get new shoes and avoiding overuse injuries), so I may try to get back into Daily Mile.

7. I tried DM for a bit but the social aspect wore me out! I have a hard enough time keeping up with commenting on FB, Twitter & blogs! Plus, I wasn’t crazy about the iPhone app…I’m lazy, didn’t remember to log on to the computer.
    You inspire me to check it out again. :0)

8. Kyla Roma says:

See, to me this is the proper use of technology! I loooove finding out little (or in this case, big!) stats like this because they give you such a neat perspective! Very cool- I wonder where that would take you if you laid it out on a map… 🙂

I have to admit, I use absolutely nothing to track my work outs 🙂 I don’t write it down, log it anywhere… anything! But I’m starting to think maybe this summer since I have a little more time on my hands I’ll actually do that. I like keeping track of things in general so I guess it makes sense. Maybe I’ll try Daily Mile, though I don’t know if I can keep up with any more social networking sites!

Way to go on the miles overall and this month! You are a rockstar 🙂

I use Livestrong.com to track my runs + workouts; I love it since I can map my runs, see elevation and etc. just like you. It’s pretty fun!

WOW! 900 miles! That’s great. When I was running a lot I tracked my mileage on a spreadsheet in Excel. I liked to see my progress.

12. Holy man thats a lot of distance! Good for you. 🙂

I dont keep track of my mileage – maybe Im just over cautious because of my history, but I try and avoid anything that I can turn into an obsession. Its a very thin line for me, and though Im sure I would be just fine, Im not willing to take the chance. I use my Garmin, and thats as far as it goes.

13. I have yet to catch on to the DailyMile bug – mostly because I’m scared to start and get totally sucked in! It would be fun to see all the stats like that, AND interact with people, though.

I use Runner’s World and occassionally upload stuff from my Garmin (not very often) – RW is pretty similar to DM, but apparently not as fun! 😉

I tried briefly to get into DailyMile but I just couldn’t. I used to use a Runner’s World online log before I started blogging but then I stopped awhile ago. When I was looking for a way to track my runs AND other workouts, I was reminded of RW’s log so I started it up again.

15. J says:

So funny, I use dailymile and runningahead too! I have been using runningahead since 2009 and daily mile since last year (2010). I like having runningahead for just my running stuff and keeping track of my shoe mileage as well. Then I use dailymile to keep track of stuff and communicate with other runners.

16. This week seems to need some work…..

I have used a spreadsheet since 2009. all your fancy shmancy direct from the garmin uploads… pfffftttt!! Gimme miles!

• MissAmber says:

Haha I know, I am running after work today! It is taper week though – 25K (15-mile) trail race on Sunday!

17. Way to go, girl! I use Dailymile to track everything and I love it~

For as much as you run it’s really smart to do this – but it still seems crazy to me that you run that much! 🙂

19. lindsay says:

i’m old school… i use excel 🙂 i started out on “coolrunning.com” back in 05ish but then that was ‘bought out’ or whatever by active.com and i didn’t like the workout log feature anymore. so i’ve been using excel ever since, which is cool cause i can geek out and put all the stats i want vs what a program wants to provide for me. and, i do not need another log in account on another website. 🙂

i used to use the runnersworld website.. then i came across daily mile and never looked back. i have a running journal i use to write in because im just old school but i lost it. so daily mile is nice because its on my phone and the computer and i never miss a beat. plus i like the mojo!

21. I signed up for Dailymile and promptly forgot about it 🙂 When I start training next week, I really want to keep up with it!

22. I used my husbands garmin once or twice, but I don’t usually track.

23. Kyria says:

I used to just track mine on a calendar. However, I just got back into running and will definitely check out your two suggestions!

Also, I just started using my Garmin and have a question for you…I want to know an average pace for EACH mile. Do I have to manually hit “lap” at every mile? I would rather just run and run and not keep looking at it to see if I am almost at a mile mark.