Running at Lunch

For the last month or so I’ve been running with my co-worker every Thursday at lunchtime. We usually do about 4 – 4.5 miles on the nice flat river trail by our office.

Since we’re both doing the 25K trail race at the end of June we decided to switch up our weekly runs to trail runs. So yesterday we did 45 minutes in the trails.

Here’s the caveat – I don’t have a shower at my office so getting ready after runs is sometimes… fun. Especially after a dirty trail run. Here’s my process, in photos!

Before run:

IMG_0739.JPG

Run for 45 minutes on a very hilly route, with little shade and on a dirt trail when it’s around 25 C out!

Screen shot 2011-05-19 at 8.04.27 PM.png

After run: (I will admit that this was actually about 30 minutes post-run, I had to make a call as soon as I got back to the office so the sweat had time to dry – ew, right!? Hehe)

IMG_0744.JPG

My supplies:

IMG_0750.JPG

I was especially dirty from running trails so I had a little sink bath….

……ewww ;)

IMG_0752.JPG

After run II:

IMG_0756.JPG

Not bad, right?!

IMG_0742.JPG IMG_0753.JPG

I really, really like my lunchtime runs. They are such a nice way to clear my head in the middle of the day. Since I work in a small office it’s really not a HUGE deal going back to work afterwards (especially since my coworker runs with me) and I think I clean up pretty good!

We’ll probably keep doing them through June, but then it might get too hot in Kamloops to run in the middle of the day in the summer. It was super duper hot yesterday. I like to go swimming or do yoga at lunch sometimes too. There are definitely times (especially lately) where it’s hard to justify pulling myself away from work but I always feel good when I do. And I had way more focus yesterday after leaving the office for an hour and clearing my head running!

Anyone else run or workout at lunch?!

I used to love my lunchtime workouts. I didnt feel pressure to wake up early and I didnt have the afternoon workout hanging over my head. I wish I could run at lunch now, but the area I work in isnt the safest to be out and about….there is just a lot of tractor trailer traffic and I dont want to get hit

2. Ada says:

Wow, I am VERY impressed with your ability to run during lunch time. I always worry about being sweaty and smelly afterwards, but it looks like you clean up so nicely!

3. I unfortunately can not pull off lunch time runs. Since I work on a trading floor, very few people take a lunch and if you do take a lunch, it’s like 30 minutes. So getting a 30-40 min run in + getting ready again? Not happening unfortunately. Plus, this is TMI, but I sweat so much and so easily, I would need shower… Esp since my hair looks extremely greasy after run (probably because I am a brunette? I think brown hair is more susceptible to looking greasy!)

Way to get awork out in. I def WISH I could pull that off because I am close to some great running trails. But soon enough I guess I will LIVE by those great running trails. ;)

4. Caz says:

I used to run at lunchtime sometimes at my old job. There was never any worry about showering or not but I also had a small office and I’d ensure I didn’t have meetings or other important things in the afternoon.

5. Lauren says:

I’m impressed that your hair still looks really good afterwards. Mine would be a mess! I used to run in between my morning and afternoon classes, and it was such a great way to relax and prepare for my next round of classes.

6. Kristen says:

When I worked in an office (I now work at home) I used to work out at lunch almost every day. It was a great break from work and we had fitness classes in the gym in the building (best. workplace.ever). There were showers, but there were so many people who needed to shower that I would just do the “sink shower” and then get back to work (otherwise I would have had to wait forever). My hair sometimes suffered, but it was worth it :)

7. lindsay says:

i love lunch-runs but hate showering (or not showering!) after. i’d rather save time and not shower actually, but i do hate that ick-feeling for the rest of the day w/ dried sweat under my pants.

i’m loving that you have a trail by work!

8. J says:

Very Nice! I think I am done with lunch runs – it is just too hot out and I will sweat too much, but it was fun while it lasted. I hope to bring them back in the fall when its cooler! Great job getting out at lunch – it definitely makes the day go by so much faster!

You DO clean up nice! How awesome that you can do that. We don’t have a designated lunch hour or break so I tend to work through my lunch and eat at my desk so I can go home earlier. What a good use of your time! (And I love that top!)

10. LG says:

Sometimes I do a lunchtime run and they are pretty good! I work right downtown in Calgary and there are a ton of runners and walkers out there. My office has a shower too but I don’t use it – I don’t seem to sweat too much and don’t want to take the time.

More often though I grab my ipod and take a walk by the river, to the library, to a grocery store to get a few things for dinner, or even to Lululemon (yes it’s within walking distance of work! Yay!) Walking is a bit less frantic in case my morning has already been hectic.

One thing I have noticed about working out during work hours…people view you differently, in a better light. It’s almost a status thing…well, a little bit anyway. I know that’s not what really matters, the same as I know that what’s inside is TONS more important than fashion, but both working out and fashion are a lot of fun and it doesn’t hurt that both can contribute to peoples’ positive image of you. I would venture a guess that people who are seen heading for a workout and people who dress well make a better salary than those who don’t. (Not that that’s fair, but still.)

11. Ris says:

At my old job we had a gym in the basement and I used to work out during lunch. I LOVED it–I could get a good workout in and then have my evenings totally free! You’re so lucky you can do that.

12. PB Addict says:

That’s awesome that you can do that at lunch time! I wouldn’t have enough time to go for a decent run and then clean up before going back to work, so I try to go right after work (before even going home) to avoid being lazy later.

I run at lunch too and I love it! The pathways that I run on are near the downtown area so they are always full of people out and about. I usually am pretty sweaty when I get back, so I will just take a sink shower like you and then shower when I get home. It’s worth it to me!

14. A Super Girl says:

That’s fun! And great job with the post-run clean up. Working in a small office definitely has its perks!

15. Anais says:

Well that is quite inspirational!! I should totally get into the habit of doing that too once I get back to work in the fall… I totally thought I couldn’t do it but seeing your post is giving me hope ;) I’m sure having short hair probably helps too right? Time to cut mine I guess!! (just kidding)

I’m so impressed by your hair! After I run, my entire pony tail is wet with sweat! I’d never be able to run during lunch, but I think if I could I would love it.

17. I love lunch runs. But my work has free gym access, so I just hit the treadmill there, and shower afterwards. Sometimes I’ll bike with a group of coworkers, and not shower afterwards then. but those times are rare. and I just grit it out. nasty, whatevs.

Your hair still manages to look cute post run. Just saying =)

I fully intend to start running during my lunch a few times a week starting May 31st since I’ll be at home and can. I may even get to do two-a-days for awhile, schedule depending. I’m kind of excited about it!

19. I love you for posting this. Thats how I clean up most days after a run. It works better than people think. :)

20. Amanda says:

I would love to run on my lunch hour, but I never have because of the no-shower thing. You have inspired me to do it anyway (once I can run again). I think I could totally do this (especially if I don’t have an afternoon meeting). :)

I used to run several times a week at lunch time. In Portland I have the Waterfront Esplanade which is a loop around the river. I’d run about 4 miles at lunchtime but I have access to a shower and locker room. I’d just shower super fast, dress and get back to work. It was such a great way to get in a run! It also freed up my evenings (which was great).

22. mandy says:

I think its great that you can get some workouts in at lunch. I used to walk occasionally on my lunch hour but not when it was hot because I didn’t have a shower either and TMI, my hair would be a sweaty, greasy mess. You do clean up very well though. =)

I’m not sure I could ever do that! Maybe because Florida is just gross from April until November so you get so sweaty and stinky even from just 10 minutes outside doing nothing! Running? Forget it. Plus, it’s just way too humid to do anything in the afternoon.

But you look GREAT! I’m not sure I could pull off looking that good after a run.

24. A mid-day fitness break is *always* a good idea! An endorphin high can only help you tackle the afternoon of work, right? :) The before/after barely look any different – I’d be a hot Mess, haha.

25. Nice work! I’m always proud of myself for getting the run in. I try not to feel too bad when I don’t look 100% post run because after all, I Just got my workout in on the lunch hour! If my coworkers have a problem with it, I guess that’s their deal. :)

Wow. AMAZING. You don’t look like you ran at ALL.

I clearly will not ever be running during lunch. For one thing my lunch is 30 minutes and usually ends up being less. Also I’m not technically allowed to leave. Furthermore, my principal would have a fit thinking about parents seeing me “not teaching” in the middle of the day haha.

But, you look good and I would not look that good so it’s probably for the better!

27. stephanie says:

I’d Love to be able to do a lunch time run or swim. But i only get 30 minutes and i always have to eat. But, id rather get home 30 minutes earlier and get an hours run in after work, so i guess its not that bad.

28. I wish! Not only do I not get a lunch break, running in New Orleans results in buckets of sweat – could never pull it off!

29. I love that you do this! There is a shower where I work (and at the GoodLife nearby – I am a member at both gyms), and I love lunchtime workouts. The best part is, my boss is a total fitness fanatic, so he doesn’t give me dirty looks for taking a long lunch to workout (the whole process, including showering, takes me an hour and a half). I have no idea how people do everything in an hour.

30. Wow I am so impressed that you clean up so well! I want to do lunch time runs and also don’t have a shower, but I don’t think I’d look quite that put together post run… I get soooooo sweaty that my hair is usually wet!

31. I run at lunch time all the time!! I love it and on the plus side we have showers as we have a small gym at work as well. When time allows it I go for a longer run on the trails and I love it :) Enjoy your lunch time runs!

32. Good for you for squeezing in a great workout at lunch! I don’t have time to workout at lunch, but the hubby does. He takes swim class during his lunch hour.

So jealous!! I look awful after I run- my makeup is mixed with sweat and dirt so unless it is an easy run and not too hot/windy I am not presentable for work. Mostly it’s my hair that is a disaster…

You did a pretty great job cleaning up though- only a little rosy in the cheeks!!

34. [...] sorry but not having a shower at your office isn’t an excuse to skip lunchtime workouts. I’ve never worked somewhere with a shower and make do with wet [...]