Ottawa Day 2 and My First 5K

My second day in Ottawa was just as fabulous as the first! This trip is flying by SO QUICKLY!

IMG_0658.JPG

This morning I ran my very first 5K with Anais and her boyfriend! I know, I know, I’ve ran a marathon and a few half-marathons but NEVER a 5K!

IMG_0653.JPG

IMG_0657.JPG IMG_0655.JPG

Side note: 5K’s are hard!

Side note #2: Anais boyfriend WON this race. It wasn’t an official race with a “timing chip” or anything but he was the first runner in around 18 minutes!

I’m so glad we decided to do this race. It was such an awesome way to see more of the city! I actually forgot my Garmin at home (boo!) so don’t have mile splits for this race – my time is just from a normal watch. The race was along the canal and SO pretty!

IMG_0665.JPG

Anais boyfriend coming back the other way:

IMG_0666.JPG

Anais and I ran together until the turnaround point and then I walked to get some water and sent her up ahead of me. I was feeling pretty tired at that point actually – running fast is HARD! Coming back was a little more uphill than on the way out so I just told myself that I could “jog” but no walking, even though I really wanted to.

I kept thinking about what my running coach says when we’re doing intervals, “is it your legs or your lungs?” usually it’s my lungs that are tired and my legs are fine! So I remembered that and forced myself to push on! Since the race was for the ‘Make a Wish Foundation’ there were posters at the end that had children’s wishes on it. Reading those was really motivating and I pushed hard at the end and even sprinted through the finish line!

IMG_0669.JPG

Running 5K fast was hard. I definitely felt kind of sick and nauseous towards the end from pushing myself.

I crossed the finish line in 26:18, which is an 8:29 pace. I was really happy with that for my first 5K! Eventually I would love to do one in under 25 minutes.

Sweaty and red-faced (me):

IMG_0670.JPG  IMG_0671.JPG

After the race we went to this ADORABLE restaurant called the Sconewitch for brunch! We had to wait a bit for a table but it was 110% worth it. Best brunch I’ve ever had!

IMG_0674.JPG

Obviously they specialize in scones (I had a vanilla cream one) but you also get scrambled eggs with your choice of topping and fresh fruit on the side! SO GOOD!

IMG_0677.JPG

IMG_0679.JPG

After brunch we went back to Anais’ and showered before heading out for more sightseeing and fun. I’m obsessed with all the brick houses in downtown Ottawa!

IMG_0684.JPG IMG_0693.JPG

IMG_0694.JPG

After a bit of walking around we went for CUPCAKES! These were soooo good! We had a chocolate chip twist and a lemon cupcake (we each had half). They were insanely delicious. Very light and fluffy. I am 99% sure I want cupcakes at our wedding instead of a cake-cake :)

IMG_0680.JPG

IMG_0683.JPG

After that we did more walking along the canal and saw some of the pretty Ottawa tulips! We also did a bit of window shopping and visited a stationery store, a fun kitchen store and a store devoted entirely to selling loose-leaf tea! I bought a tea infuser so I can start making loose-leaf tea at home.

IMG_0686.JPG IMG_0688.JPG

IMG_0690.JPG

After walking along the canal and sitting on a bench reading our books for a bit we went for appies and caesars at a restaurant right along the canal! Good food, great view and amazing conversation! Anyone who has met another blogger knows what I mean – it’s like hanging out with an old friend!

IMG_0692.JPG

As if today didn’t involve enough good food Anais made me her famous four day pizza tonight AND chocolate chip blondies (recipe from Eat Live Run!)

This pizza seriously reminded me of pizza I had in Italy – it was that good!

IMG_0701.JPG

IMG_0700.JPG

Pizza + blondies + wine = GREAT night!

IMG_0696.JPG

We are watching Run Fat Boy Run tonight before heading to bed – I’ve never seen it but it’s really funny so far!

Tomorrow morning we are going for one more brunch and then it’s time for me to change into work-mode (the real reason I’m in Ottawa!) for Sunday night and all day Monday!

Hope your having a great weekend!

Have you ever ran a 5K? Did you think it was hard?

PS: I’ve been bugging Anais ALL weekend about blogging and she posted tonight after a bit of a hiatus. So go check it out!

I’ve only met one blogger in real life and it was like we were long lost sisters!

My first race was a 5k. And I ran it after having the flu for two weeks! Ooof it was brutal.

2. I ran a 5k this morning! I’ve been trying to get faster at the 5k and I have NOT. I find them the most challenging distance for me – I would rather run a marathon any day. It sounds crazy but 26 miles is so much easier for me than a fast 3!
    All that food looks fantastic!

3. Awesome job! I think it’s so funny that you ran a marathon before a 5k- my first was a half marathon, so I guess we start big :) So many of our race times are within a minute of each other- so crazy! Your half marathon times give me something to aspire to :)

4. Holy crap you ran that 5k fast! Thats an amazing time – running fast is freaking hard. I personally avoid it. :)

Theres this new loose leaf tea shop in the mall near me and its amazing. I went crazy when I went in there. Totally worth the extra money – it doesnt even compare to the regular store bought stuff.

5. That pizza looks DELICIOUS. om nom nom.

That street picture of all the brick houses reminds me of the street my grandparents used to live on! And cupcakes. Mmmm!

7. Awesome run!!!! 5Ks are so tough—especially when racing them! I would like to finish a 5k under 25 minute…I was so close last year and came in at 25:05…and i was dying!!!

8. erin says:

i totally don’t think i’d be successful in a 5k. mostly because i’m an endurance type of person versus running short distances. but you did amazing!

Haha I didn’t know you had never done a 5K. I like 5K’s but I probably don’t really try to run them that fast!

Now I really want to go to Ottawa! Man I really don’t need to add anything to my travel list :)

In other news- I REALLY think you should cupcakes instead of a cake. Cupcakes are so fun!

10. Great recap! You and Anais look so cute together- love how your outfits sort of coordinated for the race! And that pick of Anais and her boyfriend after the race is adorable!! Love it.

Looks like such a fun trip! The food all looks yummy esp the pizza she made. Yum.

Enjoy your last bit of vacation this morning before the reality of work sets in!!

11. I like running shorter races so I can see what I can do if I really push myself. I was thinking that I might find a few smaller 5k races in my area and practice giving it my all for that distance.

12. Erin says:

The food all looks delish! And congrats on a great 5k run! I’ve run quite a few in my lifetime and you’ve successfully beaten ALL of times! HAHA. I’m just not a fast runner. Your trip seems to be going well and I think it’s fun that you got to meet your first blogging friend! Hope the work portion of your trip ends up being *enjoyable* as well :)

13. Erin says:

Oh–and I FORGOT to write that we are having cupcakes at our wedding :) I am a big cupcake fan and we thought—why not???? Our French chef is making orange cranberry cupcakes and chocolate chocolate chip cupcakes. They were sooooo delicious when we sampled them!!! :) I wish I could send one your way!

14. Yeah, 5ks are tough. I always think of them as a long sprint! Hard to not get carried away and start out too fast bc most people do. I see that Anais is wearing some lululemon! Aw, I love that stuff. Dinner looks good. I’m making some brownies today. For some random reason yest I got this craving to have chocolate walnut brownies. Mmm… Just what I’ll need after a big mother’s day breakfast! ;)

15. AshleyD says:

That food looks amazing! It sounds like you had the perfect weekend. Awesome job on the 5K! I ran one, but didn’t train at all before.

Nice race!! I love 5ks! There isnt as much pressure as other distances.

And of course you should have cupcakes at your wedding….lets not get crazy not having them

17. Tamara says:

yes, i think 5ks are the hardest! it’s a full-on sprint from start to finish! so, i think i need to make a trip to canada for the food!

18. Amber says:

Sounds like a wonderful trip!!! I will be somewhat near that area when we go to Niagara Falls next week. Everyone says the prettiest side is in Canada, so I have a feeling that we will spend most of our time there! Although, we will probably stay in New York because it will be cheaper. I can’t wait, I have only been to Canada once and I was too young to remember it!
    Hey! Come to think of it, maybe you can help me. Can we spend US money in Canada? Do you have any advice for how to handle the exchange of currency?

19. shoshanah says:

It looks like you guys had such a blast! All that food you guys had looks amazing, especially Anais’ pizza. Yum!

20. J says:

Looks like so much fun! I love tulips! Great job on the 5k! I get so much more nervous about 5ks because the time that it takes to start to feel like crap is so much shorter than longer races! lol. Its just a lot of fast running!

21. Yum those blondies and the pizza look delicious! As did the fruit from your breakfast!

Congrats on your first 5k! When I first read it, I thought I was mistaking.. can’t believe you’ve never run one! I’m not the biggest fan of 5ks because I tend to not take them that seriously but then when I’m out there.. you’re right – they’re hard! I’m also not awesome at running fast and it hurts my shins.
    Sounds like you had a great weekend!

23. I thought those cupcakes looked delicious…then I saw that pizza. Yum! I think having cupcakes at your wedding would be a fun idea – think of all the flavor options! (and no messy cake cutting)
    Congrats on running your first 5K! Yes, 5Ks are hard. You have to give your all the entire time as there is no way to make up time at the end? But they are over faster, ha!

24. Anais says:

I an so glad you enjoyed your stay :) I had a blast and I am so happy our meet up went so well! Now all you have to do is recreate that pizza at home ;)

25. He is FAST!!!! Wow! I am super impressed!

I ran a 5K once, and I hadn’t trained for it. I thought it wasn’t too bad, but it took me 35 minutes, and I sprinted as fast as I possibly could/walked/sprinted/walked … for the entire race – hehe, not the best way to run a 5k!

You did great!

26. Jen says:

Wow, congrats on the 5K! That’s an awesome time! I am soooo much slower than that. LOL I blame it on just starting out. :)

I wanted to do a 5K for my first race, but I’m skipping ahead a bit and do a 5-miler instead. I have a 5K in August I’m thinking of registering for. My goal will be to finish in under 30 minutes.

27. Jess says:

I can’t believe you’ve never run a 5K before! That’s crazy. Congrats on a super speedy time!

Looks like you’re having a blast on your trip!

28. Meg says:

I love longer runs so I thought a 4.2 miler would be a cake walk, but it waas totally tough! I hope Anais gets back to blogging and one of your better post that blondie recipe! Looks delicious!

great job on your first 5k! i hate them! :) haha!

30. Becks says:

Looks like fun. I really liked Ottawa when I went with my family when I was about 15. I’m pretty sure I stayed in that house you mentioned liking. Was it a B&B? If not, it looks really similar!