Ottawa Day 1

Screen shot 2011-05-06 at 8.33.01 PM.png

That tweet pretty much sums up my first day in Ottawa. But let’s backtrack to last night, shall we? When I spent 5.5 hours in the Calgary airport and didn’t arrive in Ottawa until 4:30 AM EST. That was fun. Thank you Air Canada for the $10 meal voucher that paid for half of my veggie fajita’s. Thanks a lot.

IMG_0628.JPG

Anyways, I finally did arrive in Ottawa at 4:30 AM and hopped in a cab to Anais‘ house. She left the front door open for me because she had to work in the morning so I let myself in and immediately crashed. After five hours of sleep I was up and ready to face the day.

While Anais was working I had a conference call so I set up camp on the floor of her guest room for the 2-hour call! Office for the day:

IMG_0629.JPG

Once Anais got home from work we caught up for a bit and had lunch before heading to anti-gravity yoga at the biggest gym I’d ever seen!

IMG_0631.JPG

Yoga was so fun! The poses were crazy and definitely made the blood rush to my head. We did both of these poses and more!

antigravity-yoga21.jpg ashleyk_wingsyoga.jpg

After that we went for something that there was NO WAY I was going to come all the way to Eastern Canada and not have.

POUTINE!

IMG_0632.JPG IMG_0633.JPG

No, poutine is not vegetarian, but this was one of those instances where I decided to just go for it. I will occasionally eat things like gravy or things with beef broth in it. Eastern Canada is known for it’s poutine and it’s not like I had a steak!

After that we did some walking around and saw Parliament (Ottawa is the capital of Canada – in case anyone didn’t know that :P)

IMG_0637.JPG

IMG_0645.JPG

After a bit more walking around and some shopping at Lululemon we met up with Anais boyfriend for a late dinner. I then proceeded to eat the most delicious veggie burger I have ever ate. EVER. It was a tofu-roasted red pepper-goat cheese burger.

Ah-ma-zing!

IMG_0650.JPG

OK, time to crash! We have a 5K in the morning and then we’re going for brunch, doing more sightseeing/shopping and Anais is making me her famous pizza tomorrow for dinner!

Night!

1. Amanda says:

What a fun trip! You’re the second of my blog friends to do this gravity yoga thing recently – it’s like a workout and getting to pretend you’re in the circus, all in one 🙂 Good luck on your race lady!

2. So fun!!! The veggie burger does look good, as do the fries that come with it. And, I would be ALL OVER that poutine!!! Mmmmm, I love poutine.

I have never been to Ottawa. It is cheaper for me to fly out of country than to Ottawa!

3. First off, blech, I hate airport snaffus. THey are so stressful and frustrating when you just want to be somewhere already. And it always feels 10x worse when you’re alone. So, what exactly is poutine? I’ve never heard of it. I guess I’ll have to google it. Looks like you ladies had a great day. I loves sightseeing.

• MissAmber says:

It’s fries with mozzarella cheese curds and gravy! A very Canadian dish – practically a food group 😉

4. Yay! Glad you’re having such an amazing time!

I consider myself fairly knowledgable when it comes to geography, but I didn’t know Ottawa is the capital of Canada. Thanks for enlightening me!

5. hmmm.. that meal does look delicious! those fries look amazzzzzzzzing!

6. shoshanah says:

It looks like you guys had so much fun! And I have to admit, I’m a little jealous of all the different bloggers you’ve been able to meet

7. nic says:

Sounds like your having so much fun!! 🙂

What a fun day! Good luck with your 5K (and your blister)! 🙂

Anti-gravity yoga sounds like so much fun! A completely different way to do yoga. 🙂

So glad you’re having a fun time! Yay!

10. Oh fun! Looks like you are having an amazing time. Anais is such a fab host! 🙂 That burger sounds & looks delicious! I am already scouting out a place to take you for a veggie burger when you are here. 🙂

And PS – love your coat in that photo of you & Anais!!

11. Tamara says:

ok…so i’m a 100% born and bred california girl…what exactly is poutine? it looks like it involves french fries, which means i would probably love it since they are my favorite food. anti-gravity yoga looks incredible! wow…i’m impressed!

12. April says:

Mmm, I would totally have disregarded my vegetarian principles for poutine too! My husband really really wants to try it, but I don’t think cheese curds are easy to find in the Southeast US. Was it delicious as it looks?

OMG – that poutine looks AMAZING! So jealous! Have fun!

14. Anti-gravity yoga looks and sounds INTENSE.
    I totally want to try it out.

I’m glad you survived that long at an airport by yourself- terrible!
    Looks like you two are having an awesome time so far 🙂 I can’t believe you did anti-gravity yoga, it looks awesome but really hard!

Oh no, that sucks that you were delayed so much! You should have messaged me and I would have taken you out for a better meal! 🙂 Anti-gravity yoga looks like so much fun though!

17. Lauren says:

That yoga class sounds really fun! I love different kinds of veggie burgers at restaurants rather than the standard plain one, and anything with roasted red peppers is delicious in my mind.

Anti-gravity yoga looks crazy – I can’t even do regular yoga poses, I think something like that might kill me 😀 Poutine is one of the things I miss the most about living on the east coast – they just don’t make them the same in Alberta. Glad you’re having a good trip!

19. So cool you are in Ottawa! I also did not know that we had anti-gravity yoga here … I’ll have to check it out!

If you guys are in the market tomorrow, I am living there and I would love to meet you guys.

Good luck on your race!

20. Melissa says:

Have fun in Ottawa! You’re literally like an hour and a half from my house haha. PS that tofu burger looks DELICIOUS. Poutines are also amazing, but no one makes them quite like we do here in Montreal haha. If you’re ever around here, you should go to a place called ‘Banquise’ you can literally get just about anything you want topped on your poutine. Yum 🙂

21. Carissa says:

well, waiting in an airport for five and a half hours is no fun but glad you finally made it to Ottawa!! sounds like you’re having a wonderful time already!

22. Sarah says:

Glad you finally made it & seem to be enjoying my city 🙂 Is that Athletic Club at Trainyards?

And yes. Poutine = best thing evAR. Next to shawarmas, of course 🙂
    (try Marroush’s, on the corner of Rideau & Dalhousie. Ze best!)

23. Ok – that anti gravity yoga is way too cool.

And Im glad you got the poutine – its amazing, and you cant NOT. 🙂

24. Jen says:

That poutine looks delicious! I had never even heard of it until last season of “The Bachelor” when one of the girls took him to her hometown in the northern part of Maine where they had poutine. Now I want to try it!

And I’m so intrigued by anti-gravity Yoga now! That looks like so much fun.

P.S. I got my spibelt! It is the coolest thing i have ever seen (maybe a tiny exaggeration, but it’s really cool)!

25. I’m so jealous of your anti-gravity yoga class. I really want to try it but there is no where that offers it in my town.

26. […] report,running,travelling,weekend // My second day in Ottawa was just as fabulous as the first! This trip is flying by SO […]