Boogie the Bridge Half-Marathon Race Report

This report should actually be titled “respect the distance” because the list of things I did wrong leading up to this race are endless.

Live and learn right?

Let’s start from the very beginning – i.e. the beginning of “training” (or lack thereof). I mean sure, I’d been running, about 18 – 23 miles per week. Not great but not terrible. However the longest long run I did in preparation for this half-marathon was 10 miles.

Then I got sick last week and did not run once all week. Not once. In fact, the most physical activity I did last week was 20 minutes of yoga.

And the icing on the cake? I got a pedicure. A PEDICURE. The week before my half-marathon. I asked her not to take all my calluses off, and she didn’t, but she took off enough that my feet were NOT happy to run 13 miles three days later.

OK, let’s get on to the race report shall we?

IMG_0070.JPG

I started my day off with two pieces of cinnamon-raisin bread toasted with butter on one and peanut butter + banana on the other. I ate this around 7:30 AM (race didn’t start till 9:30 AM). I had brought a banana with me to eat while waiting for the race to start but forgot it in my car. Yet another FAIL!

First I met up with a bunch of people from the yoga studio for a photo. I ran on the Hot Yoga studio corporate team (but didn’t actually get to run WITH them since I was doing the 21K and had to start up front) and we wanted to do a “yoga-runner” photo before the race (can you spot me? Grey shorts!)

Screen shot 2011-05-01 at 1.09.39 PM.png

Then I headed downtown to soak up some of the excitement. This race was probably one of the most community-focused, fun, pumped-up races I’ve ever done. The whole community really comes out to support Boogie and they have great music playing before the race starts and the crowd is just super pumped up! There is also great course support and bands along the first half of the route.

IMG_0072.JPG IMG_0075.JPG

IMG_0076.JPG

They started with a kids race which was cute to watch!

IMG_0078.JPG IMG_0077.JPG

And before I knew it we were lining up at the start! I started off with two running friends and the first 3 miles went by really quickly!

Mile 1 – 9:17

Mile 2 – 9:15

Mile 3 – 9:28

It was an out-and-back route on a path I logged LOTS of miles on last summer while marathon training. I thought mentally that would make it easier but it didn’t. Instead, since I knew the path so well, I was more focused on my legs tightening up and the bottom of my feet starting to hurt!

Around Mile 4 we hit the gravel path. A.K.A: where things started to go downhill!

Mile 4 – – 9:55 – took my first GU here since I was feeling hungry

Mile 5 – 9:34

Mile 6 – 10:01

IMG_0079.JPG

This gravel path was SO BRUTAL (it’s the same one I ran on for my 10K a few weeks ago) but this time we were on it for almost four miles. It destroyed my legs.

Mile 7 (turnaround point) – 10:19 – had a small cup of gatorade – SO needed!

Mile 8 – 11:25

This is my “omg I’m ACTUALLY dieing” face.

IMG_0080.JPG

After I got off the gravel path I felt a bit better. But it was hot out there with almost no shade and the bottom of my feet were starting to blister and get really sore. I just kept chugging along.

I started taking a lot more frequent walk breaks at this point.

Mile 9 – 9:52

Mile 10 – 9:56

Finally I reached mile 10 where they had orange slices!! Most delicious orange slices ever. I stopped and ate 3!

Mile 11 – 11:10

At mile 11 my iPod shuffle died. Luckily I had my iPhone in my spibelt so I took a walk break and hooked up to that. Since Boogie is a 5K, 10K and 21K race a lot of runners are in the first two distances. Which means by the end of the 21K your probably alone up there with maybe a few runners up ahead in the distance. I really felt like I needed my music during this race!

Mile 12 – 10:05

IMG_0082.JPG

Is there anything more cruel than inserting a large hill at mile 12 of a half-marathon? No? Didn’t think so!

Mile 12 – 12.98 – 10:11 (according to my garmin the course was short)

Final Garmin Stats

12.98 miles – 2:10:14 – 10:03 pace

Done and done! I did not feel well after this half. Maybe it was the two giant hills at the end or the hot sun that beat down on me the whole way but my legs were SO tight and cramped up. I just felt pooped.

Four half-marathons in the books!

IMG_0085.JPG

Definitely not my best half-marathon, but not my worst either. It was a beautiful day out and the course was nice

IMG_0086.JPG

Afterwards I posed for a photo with my running friends and then hobbled back to my car and came home for an ice bath. I also devoured a small-ish spinach pizza while video-chatting with Becky this afternoon! Yum 🙂

Lesson learned? Respect the distance. I definitely had the I-ran-a-marathon-a-half-marathon-is-nothing mentality and that’s where I went wrong. It was tough out there today!

I plan on doing another half-marathon in the fall and I will definitely be training harder and smarter for it!

1. tricia says:

great job powering through a tough run

Well I think you should be proud of yourself, because if it was me, I would’ve probably switched to one of the shorter races… as I just did for one of my races in a few weeks haha- although injuries were also involved in that but also sickness. A half marathon is definitely still far- and you went into the marathon with a lot more training and mental effort (or maybe not effort, but you had been talking/thinking about it for awhile). I think you did awesome and yay for you for finishing it and not having it be your worst 🙂

All that matters is that you finished safely! But you still had a great finishing time. That is something to be proud of.

Boy do those words “respect the distance” mean a lot to me as I have my feet raised from agonizing pain from yesterdays half.

4. We all have races that are just ‘not our race’. Like my DC one – same thing happened, I did not respect the distance. Sure, I did training runs, but i wasn’t properly prepared!

Better luck next time, my dear!

5. Lauren says:

Congrats on half #4! It’s really hard to run in the heat (I barely made it through 3 miles today with the heat!), but at least, you perserved through the race. I completely agree that you should respect the distance. I didn’t train for a half last summer, and I struggled through it. This year, I’ve put a lot more effort into my half training!

Congratulations on your 4th half finish! While it might have sucked to learn those things you did, it’s good to remind yourself that you can’t get too comfortable with the distance. I’m glad you shared what you learnt because I still have lots to learn before my first half!

7. Jen says:

Ah! You’re scaring me! LOL! I have my first race in 3 weeks and I’ve been sick so training has gone downhill. Trying to ramp it back up though.

What is a spibelt and where do I get one? I’ve been wondering how runners carry essentials during a race.

Congrats on the finish! Thanks for sharing your running wisdom 🙂

• MissAmber says:

I LOVE my spibelt. It was a Christmas gift but I’m pretty sure you can order them online: http://www.spibelt.com/spibelt.php

I used my spibelt to carry my iPhone, GU and chapstick on Sunday and then I had a handheld water bottle. Once my water bottle was empty I just clipped it onto my spibelt for the remainder of the race!

8. Kristen says:

I kind of love your “i’m going to die” face…I have definitely been there before while running.

Congratulations on making the most of a tough day.

9. nic says:

Great job gf!!! 🙂 your awesome!

10. Lorinda says:

Congrats on the great run and thanks for the wise words.

I’m going through the same sort of thing but in reverse. Today I did a 10K race and survived, so I’m going to do a 1/2 marathon on the 15th and when I survive that will do a full marathon on June 12th. I just keep telling myself (naively I know) that “it’s only twice as much”. Us crazy red-heads! 🙂

11. Emily Jane says:

Congrats on conquering it!!

12. I love the title of this race. That sounds like a tough course. I hate when you can’t see many racers around you. One reason I race is to run with others so I definitely prefer bigger races. Good work, Amber!

Wow. After reading this race recap I’m amazed you were able to be so cheery during our video chat! I would have been laying on my bed moaning about how I never wanted to walk again!

Great job!

14. J says:

Sounds brutal but great job pushing through and finishing!

15. linda says:

hey! Great job on the run and on the early report along with the photos! I recognized you from the run. Thanks for the pace. LB

16. Emily says:

congrats on doing the distance. anytime you conquer a half marathon, that’s a huge accomplishment in my book!

i am a firm believer that no run is a bad run because you can always learn something from it. it sounds like you totally walked away from the race a smarter, and more determined runner!

17. I think you did great. 🙂
    It was freaking hot there this weekend – I saw the forecast. I think it was 15 degrees when I went for my run yesterday and thought I was going to die and called it quits at like 3kms.

18. Morgan says:

Way to persevere when times got tough! Congrats on Half #4!!!

Chalk this one up to lessons learned and get back out there when you can. Love that pic of the runner/yogi’s!

19. I totally agree with you about respecting the distance. After running a marathon, I thought everything less than 26 miles was going to be a cakewalk! I ran my third half yesterday, and although I did PR, I didn’t do as well as I would have liked because I didn’t take training very seriously.

You did awesome, though! Especially on the gravel path- ouch!

Congrats on your race!!! That’s what I love about the HM- you can’t just fake it! You still did amazing- I need your fast legs!!!

I also love how you brought your iphone and took pictures along the way. Amazing!

Your breakfast looks so good! I love your group yoga photo. So creative!

21. Jess says:

Congrats on finishing strong during a hot and hilly race.

I’m a little nervous about my upcoming half because I’m sort of “over-tapered” like you were. For a variety of reasons, I only ran once last week and I’m nervous about how that’s going to impact me next Saturday. Your report is a good reminder that I’l at least be able to finish!

22. Congrats girl!!!! You should be very proud!!!! I would love to be able to say that I ran even one 1/2 marathon!

23. Naomi says:

congratulations – great job! and i love the name of the race!

24. You’re my inspiration. I’ve done minimal training and have a half marathon to complete in early June. It doesn’t have to be pretty or my best, but it can (and will) be done!

25. Terri says:

Well congrats on a great finish! I too ran the 21K on Sunday, and totally felt your pain as well…I did not do as well as you, but I am content with my time and the fact that I completed it. This is the 2nd half marathon I ran, and I plan to do alot more. Congrats once again!

26. Heather C says:

It’s crazy how quickly a marathon clouds your judgement of other distances, no matter how long ago you ran it! When I go into 10-13 mi training runs I always think “eh, it’s not THAT long”….but, nope, it is!

Congrats for logging another half! You pushed through and still finished proudly 🙂

27. Weather, roads and training aside, girl you were SICK last week. For days. That takes a lot out of you! But you’re right, you gotta respect the distance. 13.1 miles is a long way to run. Even longer to race! And you did it!!! Congratulations on completing another half marathon!

28. […] started off bright and early with the Boogie the Bridge race. I last ran this race in 2011 and did not have a good day. I’ve since volunteered the last two years and really enjoyed […]