House Projects

After spending a week with us my mom left to drive home today. It was bawl-fest 2011 when she left. We are both usually criers but not that bad. I think it’s because Eric is usually there to hold us together more but today he was at work.

Anyways, I thought I would share a couple of house projects that my mom helped do while she was here the last week. I had so much fun having her visit. Despite me being sick at the beginning of the week we managed to fit wedding dress shopping, work clothes shopping, pedicure, massage, a trip to the Farmers Market and several house projects into our week!

First up, the patio and garden. I cannot take any credit on this. Eric and my mom did all of this (and it was A LOT of work) I am going to post some more about this with before and during photos next week.

patio.jpg

Eric built that stone patio and those flower beds then my mom planted them! They currently have a mixture of vegetables and herbs and flowers in them!

Next was my photo collage inspired by Young House Love! My mom hung this for me when I was sick and I love the way it turned out. Can’t wait to fill out the rest of the frames.

photo collage.jpg

No pictures of this but my mom also carpet cleaned our stairs and got a big, gross black stain out of them. Win!

This morning we went to the Farmers Market! I LOVE the Farmers Market and go almost every weekend in the summer. Since it’s only the 2nd weekend it’s open there were no vegetables yet. But I did get three loaves of freshly baked bread and just ate some delicious banana bread for lunch!

lunch.jpg

After the Farmers Market we went to Chapters and I got a big wedding binder and some books and convinced my mom to buy Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella in an audio book for her drive home. Then she left 🙁

It was really nice to have my mom visiting us and hanging out with her. The week went by so fast. Sometimes it really sucks living 1,000 km (600 miles) away from my family.

Do you live close or far away from your family?

We live super close to both sets of our parents which is something I get more and more thankful for each day. The furthest our immediate family is from us is my brother, and he’s still less than 8 hours which isn’t horrible. (We can drive it and don’t have to fly it). What fun getting all those projects done – can’t wait to see more before and after pics of the patio – and wahoo for farmer’s market!

That is so nice you got so much done! The patio looks great.

I know what you mean though…Im about 400 and something miles from my family and friends.

I’m at school just 30 minutes away from my home/parents. I’m moving 3 and a half hours away in 2 months though. I’m excited and nervous to be that far away from them. I think long term though I want to be close by : )

4. rachel says:

LOVE the collage! 🙂 I actually live a block away from both my parents and my inlaws. literally 300 steps in either direction! it’s pretty awesome. 🙂

5. I live close to my family. I wouldn’t want it any other way 🙂

6. shoshanah says:

I love photos walls, I’m slowly building ours, but so far it’s pretty tiny. And I’m nowhere near my family. They’re halfway across the country so I generally only see them a few times a year.

I’m glad you had a good visit with your mom! I live 3000 miles from most of my family but almost all of Nathan’s family is within a 10 minute drive from our place. Free babysitters? Yes, please 😀

8. Kristen says:

I live far away from my family (and my husband’s family) and it sucks! I like where I live, but I really wish I could see my family more.

That patio looks great!

9. Kerry says:

I live the furthest possible, i think! They are in NY and I am in San Francisco. I see them only a few times a year. 🙁

10. I’m about 4 hours from my parents. I see them quite a bit in the summer, but from Labor Day through Memorial Day, I only see them around the holidays. 🙁

The projects all look great! Esp the patio!! Well done, Eric!

11. You already know how close I live to my parents. I dont plan on changing that any time soon. Or ever. 🙂
    You are going to LOVE having the veggies and herbs in your yard like that. My mom planted lettuce in her garden last year too and it grew like crazy. Chives seem to be able to live through everything too.

I live very close to my parents and I love it. When I was in college I insisted on going to Australia for a semester to prove I could live a ridiculous flight away from everyone I knew (well also it was a very cool experience, obviously). But once I did that I was like yup… I CAN do it, but no point- life is too short to be away from the people I love, so I don’t 🙂 But I am luckily that my parents live in a place where it makes sense to start my adult life- that whole Canadian geography thing is another story haha.

I’m seriously impressed at how much you and your mom accomplished, especially considering how sick you were! I LOVE the collage of pictures. I need to do that. I always let Eric hang pictures and he hangs them on HIS eye level which does not equal normal eye level haha.

13. I live with my family so I see them too much….but when I was living away from home I only got to visit every other month or so and that was hard.

14. Amber says:

Our big farmers market starts next week. I can’t wait!!!

15. No doubt 1000k is a long way to be apart. Since we moved away from my family I miss them a lot. like A LOT. They are only a 4 hour drive away, and we both go visit a fair amount. We are heading down there to stay with my parents in a few weeks and I can’t wait. Glad your mom was able to get in a nice visit and get some projects done!

16. Lauren says:

Glad you had a week to spend with your mom! I go to school about an hour from home, which is a good distance to go home or have my parents visit aka take me to Costco and out to dinner 🙂

I live very close to all my family and I’m very hesitant to move away because I really love being around my family. At the same time, I think it might be good for me but I really wouldn’t want to be more than 2-3 hours from my family.

18. My family lives the state over. This usually doesn’t bother me on any given day, and I’m not an emotional person, but there’s usually a tear that rolls down the face when I start the long drive back to Chicago after being home for a few days. It happens.

19. stephanie says:

I now live only 3 hours away from my parents but used to live 3500miles away. Living in Wisconsin was fun but planning a wedding in England while living there was hard. Also, i missed out on all the mother daughter wedding stuff. So, as little as you got, i hope you cherished the time with yer mum.

20. Ooh, that sounds like the perfect week. I love mom days. Pedicures and massages, oh my! I definitely feel so lucky that I can see my family anytime I want bc they live 45 min away, but the manfriend’s family is much harder to see (and expensive) so we only see them 1-2 times per year.

Your patio looks amazing!! I don’t dare plant any flowers, or vegetables until after May long as we always get another snowfall in May that kills everything. Sucks!

Love the photo wall! Keep meaning to do that…

Have you read Twenties Girl? I thought it was okay. Hope your mom got home safely. I live close to my family. I don’t know if I could live farther than a couple hours away from them. I still don’t seem them often enough though.

22. Tamara says:

House projects in your own house (as opposed to a rental) are the best! Answer to your question: CLOSE! To ALL of them (both sides for both of us, first husbands and wives, second husbands and wives, even third in some cases). Family get togethers are chaotic and crazy. But soon things are changing for a short while: my dad and his wife are moving to montreal for his sabbatical!

23. […] in the hallway, “gym” room and guestroom. I’m thinking there will be at least one photo collage inspired by Amber. I just have to find some relatively cheap frames, any […]