Race Report: River’s Spring Run-Off 10K

This morning I ran my first race of 2011 and my first race since the marathon. It went great!

Side note, I have worn these diamond earrings that Eric got me for Christmas a few years ago to every single race I’ve ever done – all 11 of them 🙂

IMG_0486.JPG

OK, moving on to the race. This was a local race (about a 10 minute drive from my house) and didn’t start until 10:00 AM, which was SO NICE since I’ve been up late the last several nights painting (we are over half done by the way!!!)

For the last 9 weeks I have been doing a 2x/week run clinic at the local running store. On Wednesdays we do speed/hill interval training and on Saturdays we do long slow distance runs.

I have to say I think that speed training was key to how my race went today!

Mile 1 – 8:32

Mile 2 – 8:58

Screen shot 2011-03-20 at 12.04.22 PM.png

I felt SO good at the beginning but kept reminding myself to back off and not go too fast. I’m notorious for starting out too quickly in races and then losing steam near the end.

It was through residential areas with lots of nice houses so I just spent my time looking at the houses and enjoying myself. I had a HUGE smile on my face for the majority of this race.

Mile 3 – 9:05

This mile I started visiting with one of the guys that was in the run clinic and we chatted for about 1/2 mile before I pulled ahead. I also went through the only water station at this point and had a little cup of water. I jogged through it but slowed down a lot. I’m happy to say this is my only mile over 9 minutes!

Mile 4 – 8:50

At this point I knew I would PR because there were only two miles to go and even if I ran those two miles in over 20 minutes I would still PR so I was feeling pretty happy, still sailing along and starting to pass some more people. My legs felt great!

Mile 5 – 8:52

This is when it got pretty hard. The last 1 – 1.5 miles was an out-and-back on a gravel trail. Going from running pretty fast on the pavement to slogging along on the gravel was crazy. My legs felt SO HEAVY it was like running through sand. This was definitely the hardest part of the run physically and mentally.

Mile 6 – 8:40

Mile 6 – 6.2 – 7:43

GARMIN TIME:

6.23 miles – 54:40 – 8:47 pace

OFFICIAL TIME:

54:43! A PR!

I still had enough steam left in my tank to power through the last .2 mile at a sprint so that felt good! As soon as I got OFF the gravel pit my legs felt fast again.

IMG_0487.JPG

Two of the people in my run clinic sprinting to the end and me and my friend Renee from the clinic:

IMG_0488.JPG IMG_0490.JPG

I stuck around to have an apple juice and cheer on a few more of the runners from our cilnic and then I headed out because I wanted to get back to painting (but clearly blogging came first).

As I was driving home I started thinking about what I wanted to eat (of course!) and decided I really wanted yogurt and granola. I actually haven’t bought yogurt since the vegan challenge because I’ve been trying to eat less animal products but the stomach wants what it wants so I whipped into Nature’s Fare and got two things of greek yogurt (I’ve become such a yogurt snob) and granola!

Pretty much I adore Liberte yogurt. The Mediterranean kind has lots of fat in it, so I buy the regular stuff (2% M.F. instead of 8%) and have a serving with that with a spoonful of the Mediterranean 🙂

IMG_0495.JPG

With banana, some oats and chia seeds – so yummy!

IMG_0498.JPG

Happy Sunday! Time to get more painting done 🙂

1. J says:

Congrats on the PR!! That is awesome! Those clinic runs are really paying off! You are getting so much faster!

Congrats 😀 I had my 5k this morning but I can’t write out the “race report” blog post until Topher decides to nap … sigh.

3. wooohooo!!! nothing like a PR to start off the running season!

You ran a race this morning and are spending the rest of the day painting. Amazing. For real.

5. Woo hoo – I am so proud of you! PR’ing is awesome, esp when you think of all the other stuff you have been juggling lately (yoga challenge, new house, demanding work schedule, engagement excitement). So wonderful! And yes, those clinics are definitely paying off! I need to get much speedier before we run together in August. 🙂

6. Amber says:

Congrats on the PR!!! Sounds like you had a fantastic race, way to go! 🙂

I am a yogurt snob too… I pretty much only eat Greek yogurt now, everything else just isn’t as good! I have never heard of that kind though, I will have to look up and see if I can get it anywhere around here.

Congrats again!

Wow, big congrats on the PR! Amazing job!!

Congratulations on your great race and great time! That’s fantastic!

9. Carol says:

I also had a 10km, but preceded it with an 8km LSD, so I did not PB. But I got my run on anyway, and in the snow to boot!

Mmmmm…Liberte Coconut Crack yogurt…so not allowed in my house!!!

10. Lauren says:

Congrats on your PR!!! The Liberte coconut yogurt is amazing.

YAY for the PR 🙂 You are really getting FAST! I’m impressed you are even running at all right now with all that painting, I remember it being a workout in itself.

As for the dreams, I tend to dream about others weddings more than my own (although last night was weird clearly I wasn’t doing much ACTUAL planning of my own wedding in it). When I was the maid of honor in my friends wedding I had so many dreams of not getting down the aisle, usually cuz I was not yet dressed or had to pee at the last second. SO RANDOM.

12. mandy says:

You are a rock star. Running a race and painting. Hooray for such a great weekend. Glad that your race went well, friend.

13. That is freaking fast!! Way to go Amber! 🙂

wahooo! congrats lady! 🙂

15. Naomi says:

congratulations! great race! i bet all that painting is great cross-training too! 🙂

16. April says:

Congrats on the PR! Maybe you’ll be even faster next time when you haven’t been painting for multiple days in a row!

17. Jessica says:

Congrats on the PR, that is awesome! Way to go!

18. H-woman says:

Whoo hoo! Congrats on the speedy run.

Mmm…coconut crack yogurt…as my friend, Gerri, says, “It’s a tropical orgasm”

=)

19. Jenny says:

Congrats on the run! What an awesome start to your racing season 🙂

20. Heather C says:

Gotta love that breakthrough point where the hard speed work finally pays off!! Congrats girl!! 🙂

21. Congrats!!!! Good job on pushing through that tough mile 5 and finishing strong!

22. Jess says:

Amber you have gotten so fast!!! Congrats on an awesome race and a brand new PR!

Congrats on an awesome time! That’s amazing 🙂 So proud of you!

24. Amber!

About the Greek yogurt… I was in superstore last night and they have presidents choice brand fat free greek yogurt. I tried it and it’s super good! You should give it a try. 🙂

25. Wow congrats on the race Amber!! You rocked it!

26. Morgan says:

Way to go out there girl! You totally killed it! Woot!!!!!!!!!

27. Nice work, AMber! Those are awesome splits. I so want some diamond studs to wear all the time.

Awesome race, Amber!! Congrats! That’s very cool that you’ve worn the same earrings every race. I love run rituals like that. I don’t have any when it comes to racing.. maybe I should form some..
    Good luck with the painting!

29. Erin says:

Congrats on the race!!! 🙂 And good luck with your (never-ending) painting!! 🙂 We are getting ready to do wallpaper removal and painting over the next few weeks!!! I know it will be SO much fun 🙂 Thanks for sharing all of your ideas! I like seeing what other people are doing as well!

30. kilax says:

Awesome job on the 10K speedy!

I love close to the house races 🙂

31. Laura says:

Do you just mix the raw chia seeds right into the yogurt, or do you have to soak them in water first like you do when you make chia pudding? Hoping it’s the former, for the speed factor 🙂

• MissAmber says:

Nope, just the raw chia seeds! Chia seeds + uncooked oatmeal is almost as good as granola without all the extra sugar 🙂

32. […] gravel path was SO BRUTAL (it’s the same one I ran on for my 10K a few weeks ago) but this time we were on it for almost four miles. It destroyed my […]

33. susan says:

you run all the races i do, its interesting to hear your comments..i also did the boogie half marathon and the blackwell dairy race this past weekend. brutal ..and yes i added it to my list of runs..the hills oh my god..

34. susan says:

you run very fast so if you wait a bit you will see me come in..I am doing a 1/2 ironman in oliver next weekend. I dont have the training down at all but i won it last year in a sprint triathlon in vernon. So i suppose if i dont make the swim cutoff i dont move on to the bike portion. Since it is to late to pull out, i am going to do the best i can. I was hoping to do the summerland half marathon the weekend after but we will see what happens as i got a new job offer so it will change all my shifts around. I will mostly likely see you at the Vernon trail dirty feet run. I believe that was my first blog i read of yours last year. So congratulations to keeping up with your running. see you around..susan