Race Report: Dirty Feet 10K II

OK, let’s try this again. I wrote this whole thing last night and Ecto ate it. Lovely…

On Sunday I ran the Dirty Feet 10K trail race here in Kamloops. This was my second time doing a Dirty Feet Trail Race and I have to say they are some of the best organized races with the best swag that I’ve ever done. Any running readers in the B.C. Interior, I highly recommend you check out these races, I will do them again!

IMG_0510.JPG

I spent all weekend moving and ran 7.5 miles the day before so I really wasn’t expecting much from my legs. I brought my camera along to take lots of pictures and the plan was to just have fun!

I carpooled to the race with some of my running friends (one who was doing the 21K) so we just kind of hung around for an hour and visited with people. I saw a lot of familiar faces, which was cool. It’s nice to be so involved in different aspects of the running community here!

IMG_0518.JPG

About half-an-hour after the 21K-ers started we were off!

Mile 1 – 9:43

Mile 2 – 10:50

You probably wouldn’t think I was running a trail race by my first couple mile splits. The first 5K were great – rolling hills, nice scenery. I was just running along having fun!

IMG_0522.JPG

Mile 3 – 10:46

Screen shot 2011-03-29 at 6.28.34 AM.png

It was the second 5K when things started to get interesting. I’d checked out the elevation map on the website and kept thinking “is this that big hill? is this that big hill?”

IMG_0524.JPG

Mile 4 – 9:41

Mile 5 – 15:14 <– oh. there it is!

It was a BRUTAL hill. Felt like it went on forever. We definitely hiked up most of it and just when it seemed to level off, UP we went again.

Here is my holy-crap-this-hill-is-brutal-and-i’m-totally-pooped face:

IMG_0526.JPG

But, what goes up must come down, right? Oh yes, coming down was glorious. The last mile was probably my favourite part of the whole run. Mostly downhill, gorgeous view! Fantastic.

IMG_0530.JPG

Here is my I-love-running-downhill face!

IMG_0531.JPG

Mile 6 – 10:50

Mile 6 – 6.2 – 8:39

Final Garmin Stats

6.2 miles – 1:08:44 – 11:06 pace

Check out my Garmin. Talk about a well-mapped out course, hey!?

IMG_0536.JPG

Then we stood around and ATE after (there was such great food at the finish line!) before taking off.

IMG_0533.JPG IMG_0534.JPG

We couldn’t stay for the door prizes, which was too bad because they have really good swag at these events. Next time I will stick around for sure!

Overall, a very fun race. I love running trails and this race reminded me of that!

I have to say, though, I’m SO GLAD I dropped down from the 21K. Don’t think the legs could have handled that. They were pretty sore the rest of the day 🙂

They do have 3 more races in my area this summer/fall though, so I will get vengeance on that 21K yet 😉

1. Stefanie says:

This looks like a fun race! And what a great time! I can’t wait to hit the roads/trails again and try some new fun races. (Still recovering from a stress fracture.)

2. H-woman says:

Looks like fun! The two trail races I was considering are both sold out already. =(

Maybe I’ll just run the trails this year and race ’em next year.

I’ve never done a trail race, but it looks fun! Congratulations on finishing with having moved and run the day before! Was the race in Kamloops? If so, all of your snow disappeared really quickly!

• MissAmber says:

Yup! On the outskirts of Kamloops, about a 15 minute drive from my house. All our snow is gone now!!! *knock on wood*

4. Tamara says:

very cool! i live in an area that has tons of trail races…but i always chicken out of signing up. hmmm…..you’ve inspired me. 🙂 congratulations…you did great even with a chaotic week beforehand!

5. OH so pretty! I miss Kamloops now. I used to never appreciate how pretty it really is there. 😀 Something to look forward to in the fall!
    Congrats on the race! That’s a great time.

Those are some serious hills; kudos to you for kicking this trail runs butt! Looks like a gorgeous view and I’m so glad you had a great time 🙂

I’m still scarred from my one trail race back in November. I had such a terrible time, lol.

But yay for a great race! I agree with you, downhill running is the best!!

8. I am too scared to run a trail race. I majorly ate it on a huge hill when I was hiking once- I can only imagine what would have happened if I had been running! That trail looks really pretty, though 🙂

9. Lauren says:

Sounds fun! These pictures definitely remind me of my cross-country days, and I’d love to do a trail race again.

10. Emily says:

congrats on what looks like a very tough race!! the scenery is to die for!

11. Morgan says:

Way to kick some trail butt and lord almighty that hill is HUGE! You are def a hero for tackling that!!!

12. Laura says:

Not sure what Ecto is, but that sucks when your race reports get deleted 🙁

Congrats on an awesome race!

13. Heather C says:

The face pictures say it all 😉 haha, loved the photo recap!! those are beautiful views! no doubt you’ll get that 21K by the time summer is over!

14. Oh man, that hill is no joke! And I agree, I love being an integrated part of my running community. It’s so nice to recognize a bunch of people when I head to races or a group run! Good work, chica.

I’m jealous that you have no snow. And I’m jealous that you have such beautiful views. Running in Edmonton = ice, snow, slush, and dirt – and all the scenery in this ever-so-lovely city is brown. Blech. Maybe I need to move to BC …

16. J says:

Great job on the 10k! That hill looks horrible!! I would have not liked running up that one bit!

17. Holy crap man that hill is a monster! It makes me feel way better about the hills by me. 🙂

Wah Ecto sucks sometimes.

I can really picture you saying “well mapped out trail, hey?” with your Canadian accent 🙂 It might sound more like “eh” in my head haha.

Great job on the race and yay for conquering that massive hill!

19. Caryn says:

I am so impressed!!First, the course looks beautiful but daunting. Even to walkers. Second- you took pictures as you ran! What a trooper! Great job on the race!

20. Ashley says:

I don’t know if it makes a difference when you’re exhausted, but that sure is a beautiful view!

21. Laura says:

Awesome job..that sounds like a great race.

22. Congrats on a great time!! That looks like a fun race – more scenic than a city race – tougher too!

23. Jessica says:

Geez that hill looks like a killer. I’m shocked you were able to take that self photo because I would have been on the ground!

24. Holy cannasta – that is one hell of a climb! The elevation map is crazy! Way to go!! You did awesome. And the pictures are gorgeous! Makes me want to come visit even more. 🙂 I’ll get there some day! Esp now that you have a guest bedroom. 😉

25. Naomi says:

TOUGH course! that hill looked brutal! congratulations!

26. Kyria Wilson says:

Wow, that looks like a great race! I have run trail races before where the track was only wide enough for one the entire time and it was a pain. It looks like you had a nice wide road part of the time. AND good weather!

27. andrea says:

oh my god! The downhill face is adorable. I heart you. You make me keep running. xo

Nice job amber!

29. Keri says:

Oh my gosh, look at that course! Congratulations on completing a difficult race!! And yay for July 2012 weddings 🙂 Did you pick your date? I wonder if its the same weekend!

30. Becks says:

Nice job. That looks like a fun course to run.
    I’ve slacked off in my running since the fall. Though we live next to Central Park in Burnaby, the longest loop is only about 5km and I miss trail running. I guess I’ve been spoiled in Kamloops…and even Steveston with the dike trail right there. Plans are underway to get started again though since the spring weather is here!

31. Phil Hiom says:

Awesome read and photos Amber. Thanks for the great report on our race and I am glad you had a good time. I am also glad to see that your latest post was an april fools joke otherwise that would have put a damper on your racing season this year!! Hopefully we will see you out on the trails this summer.

32. kathryn says:

Thanks for the great feedback and pics. I’m looking into registering now because of you! Coming from vancouver and hope to see you there somewhere 🙂

33. […] actually did the 10K distance of this same race two years ago (remember when I originally signed up for the 21K and then dropped down to the 10K?) […]