Weekend at Sun Peaks

It was mine and Eric’s six year anniversary yesterday and since we’ve been getting so into snowboarding lately I decided to book us a weekend at Sun Peaks!

IMG_0204.JPG

We headed up there yesterday morning, snowboarded all day, and then came back down to Kamloops this morning.

Unfortunately it had rained on Friday night so the snow conditions were less than ideal. Read: icy, hard snow that was really difficult to carve on. It was still fun, but I just wish there would have been some powder to play in!

Our second run of the day we decided to go to the very top of the mountain.

IMG_0184.JPG IMG_0187.JPG

IMG_0188.JPG

Pretty, hey?

IMG_0189.JPG

My favourite run that we went on all day had all these ice covered trees around it. I thought it was so pretty – kind of magical!

IMG_0192.JPG

Due to the less than ideal conditions we were pretty much exhausted by 1:00 PM. We took a break to relax in our hotel room and go for cinnamon buns (cinnamon buns are a must when skiing/snowboarding in my opinion)!

IMG_0198.JPG

One day I will own a king-sized bed of my own!

IMG_0178.JPG

We headed out for two more runs around 2:30 PM and then called it a day. It was really fun but I just wish the snow had been better. Oh well, can’t predict the weather! We will go up again before winter is over I’m sure.

We had some wine when we were in our room (I gave Eric his glass and he said “do we have to clink them?” YES, Eric. We do. And I made him clink for a picture :D)

IMG_0211.JPG

We then headed out for dinner. I have to say, I’d heard great things about the dining options at Sun Peaks but dinner was kind of a bust for us. We should have went with our gut instinct and gone for Italian but we decided to be risky.

First, we stopped into one of the restaurants for fondue. It was just OK.

IMG_0234.JPG

A little action shot of Eric eating the fondue 😉

IMG_0235.JPG

Nothing else on that menu appealed to us so we decided to head out in search of some appies somewhere else. After a few drinks we were both craving nacho’s like mad but we stopped into four different restaurants and NONE of them served nacho’s.

We settled for mussels and bruschetta instead. Once again, just OK.

IMG_0236.JPG IMG_0238.JPG

Overall, I was not wowed by the food so that was a bit of a disappointment, but the weekend as a whole was fantastic. There is nothing in the world more relaxing than staying in a hotel! I got a solid 10 hours of sleep last night and I’m feeling relaxed and rejuvenated!

And now it looks like this outside (clearly today is the day we should have went snowboarding!)

IMG_0243.JPG

So I am spending the day inside prepping some food for my vegan challenge (that starts tomorrow!) Tomorrow I am blogging about grocery shopping/meal planning for the challenge and what kinds of challenges I think I’ll face this week. Overall I am really excited about the challenge and can’t wait to try some fun new recipes. I’m also excited to see how it will (or won’t?) change my energy levels. Finally, I’ll be weighing myself tomorrow morning and also next Monday morning (just to see what happens!)

How was your weekend?

1. Caz says:

yay it’s fixed!!!

xoxo

I can’t imagine you couldn’t find nachos in Sun Peaks!!! Nachos were our Apres-ski staple anywhere we went… 🙁
    It’s obviously been a few years since we went there, but I think Bottoms (?) was the bar we’d go to. But I might be mixing that up with BigWhite…

PS I’m definitely coming to visit/go snowboarding… can’t promise WHEN, but I am coming 🙂

• MissAmber says:

Yes! Bottoms is right! Unfortunately for us (fortunately for them!) they were RIGHT FULL the whole night so we never got to go there. I’m pretty positive they would have had nacho’s though 🙂

Looks beautiful!!! My weekend was full of outings sans baby ~ I love my little pickle but girls nights were NEEDED. Now I feel ready to start my week 😀

3. mandy says:

Sounds like fantastic weekend, Amber. Its good to get away every now and again. Sorry to hear that the snow wasn’t as powdery as you would have liked, but there’s always another weekend!

What a great weekend!! The scenery is amazing

5. Lauren says:

Happy anniversary! Nice pictures – it looks so pretty & clear! I went snowboarding today, and there was so much snow and it was kinda warm.

6. I’m glad you guys had sucha a fun trip! and happy anniversary. That looks like a really amazing place.

7. No nachos???? that’s a travesty! One of the bars must have had nachos.

The only food I get really excited about at Sun Peaks are the cinnamon buns (from the day lodges, looked like the one you had). Yeah, best cinnamon buns anywhere.

• MissAmber says:

We didn’t get to try Bottoms (right full of people) but we literally went to EVERY OTHER PLACE and nothing!

8. Mom says:

I’m happy to see you are wearing helmets!!!! 🙂

9. Jodi says:

Yay! I am happy that you and Eric had a good weekend!!
    (even bigger YAY for 6 years!!!)

Maybe you two would have been more impressed with the
    Food, if you weren’t such a good cook!!

Man I really need to make time to go snowboarding before I forget how to do it completely.
    Looks like a great weekend… and my Eric would totally make some kind of comment about clinking the glasses, especially if I made him take a picture haha.

Can’t wait to hear about your vegan challenge!

11. Amber says:

I can’t imagine a solid 10 hours of sleep… our dogs will NOT allow it. It’s like they KNOW when it’s been 8 hours and they are READY to go outside. Ughh! Glad you had such a great trip! I have never been snowboarding but have always wanted to try. The snowboarding here is like… on hills. lol. Kind of funny.

That looks like a great way to spend the weekend! Nice bed too. 🙂

13. Tamara says:

mine included a trip to the snow too…but with two nephews under the age of 4…so just the trip is where our the similarities end. i’m curious to see how your vegan week goes. i ate vegan for about 2 years before my daughter was born…it was a challenge and definitely a learning experience! {ps – and thanks for the helmet/snowboarding picture. i wear a helmet too and can’t believe how hard it is to get others to do the same!}

14. Joey says:

Mmmm, nachos make me happy! Looks like such a nice way to spend the weekend in the snow.
    I thought of you a couple times this weekend. First off, I need some running motivation! Second, I’m not a vegetarian but I don’t eat a lot of meat. I often go for a few weeks without eating meat and don’t miss it. But, for some reason this weekend, I had what seemed like a ton of meat. And it made me free sooooo ill. Not going to do that again any time soon. Blech. Good luck with your vegan challenge!

Looks like a fabulous weekend even if the weather was less than ideal. I’ve been to Sun Peaks and it’s really nice!

Ps- you will never go back after you have a king bed! It is seriously the best invention except when it’s cold at night, it takes a while to snuggle up to your partner 😉

16. Love the pictures! I am glad you had a great get away – especially the 10 hours of sleep. That is priceless, really! I want a king bed some day, too!

Looks gorgy! I want to snowboard!

18. Those pics are making me miss the slopes – BIG time! I haven’t been to the mountains, or even a hill to go skiing in a couple years, and I am craving it!

19. I want to be there!!!! I went skiing on Saturday and Sunday – the weather was mild and perfect and it had snowed during the week so that was good. However, the issue in Ottawa is that the hills are pretty small so the lift time/ski time ratio isn’t great. I really want to go skiing out west some day!

20. steph anne says:

Glad to hear you two had an awesome weekend! 🙂

21. My weekend wasn’t nearly as fantastic as yours! 😛 I spent it hanging out with lawyers at a conference. Not bad for what it was! lol

22. Lindsay says:

Belated happy 6 yrs!! Looks like a fun getaway even if the food wasn’t spectacular. A king bed is a must–I love having all that room to flop around. It’s weird now when we have to stay in a queen/double at a hotel or someones house lol.

23. Lindsay says:

PS: did you want a sticker? Need your address if so. Can’t remember if I’ve asked already… No hard feelings if you don’t of course 🙂

24. shoshanah says:

That cinnamon roll looks so divine, and I’m guessing from the sounds of it, probably one of the best things you ate on your trip!