Mmmmmmmmh!

Mmmmmmh!

That is the sound I murmured every single bite while eating this dish last night.

DSC_0989.JPG

While grocery shopping the other day I picked up some fresh, yummy mushrooms. I knew I had a recipe starred in my google reader that incorporated said mushrooms, but I couldn’t remember what it was.

DSC_0965.JPG

Not gonna lie, I was pretty exhausted last night after a long week of stressful work/freelance stuff plus social plans. When I first looked up the recipe in my google reader and saw it would take almost an hour I was less than impressed.

Ordering sushi was sounding mighty tempting.

But then I remembered how much cooking tends to destress and relax me. I’m not really the type of person who can do nothing to relax but I do enjoy doing things like cooking and reading – not too much brainpower required but enough to make me feel semi-productive!

Side note: I got new knives for Christmas and they are ah-ma-zing.

DSC_0971.JPG

So I set to work.

The rosemary in this recipe took it to a whole ‘nother level. I didn’t have fresh rosemary so I just sprinkled in some from my spice rack and I have to admit that after adding the rosemary you could basically find me with my head in the skillet inhaling. It smelled SO GOOD!

DSC_0976.JPG DSC_0977.JPG

I actually didn’t have risotto rice so I used brown rice in this recipe and it turned out great but a little chewy, I think it would be even better and creamier with Arborio rice.

I ended up taking one step out of the original recipe (the one Angela referenced for hers) and added some Tofutti Cream Cheese to the top at the end – leftover from Vegan Week! Making this dinner completely vegan.

I thought it looked kind of gourmet myself ;)

DSC_0992.JPG

This dinner was actually SO GOOD, you guys. I seriously made a little noise with every bite. I couldn’t be more pleased with how it turned out and I can’t wait to make it again!

It was also really nice to spend an evening in the kitchen. It’s been far too long since I last did that and I really do love to cook and try new recipes.

You can find the full recipe I followed here. I followed this recipe exactly other than using brown rice instead of barley or Arborio: Mushroom Risotto with Carmelized Onions

Happy Friday! XO

Question of the day: Cooking/Baking = relaxing or not for you?

1. Megan says:

I find cooking/baking to be relaxing for the most part. This recipe looks great!

I always want it to be relaxing but it never is. I like reading better, much less opportunity to mess up haha.

This risotto looks awesome though. I always feel bad at how long it takes Eric to make risotto but it is SO good. Also, I would be very scared of a recipe that takes an hour because it always takes me way longer to make things than the recipe says.

3. mania says:

that looks yummmy, for me cooking/baking is relaxing,I wish I had more time to do that :)

4. Totally relaxing for me. But I know the feeling of coming home and wanting dinner NOW and realizing what I planned to take will take much longer than the 5 minutes I think I can wait…

5. Mmm, looks heavenly! I find rosemary a little strong so I usually use fresh (less bite to it).

6. Katrina says:

Mmmmm looks and sounds delicious!!! I’ll have to try it. Im kind of off meat right now after watching that movie Cheryl told me about. I LOVE cooking, very relaxing, especially is I have some music playing :)

7. I’m not good in the kitchen so cooking and baking is just not relaxing for me at all, it’s the complete opposite. I wish it was, but sadly I don’t see it changing anything soon.

Oh yes, baking? Totally relaxing for me. Ditto cooking. I guess it’s because you have to focus on the recipe or improvising the recipe and can’t really go anywhere else in your head? Plus I always listen to music, dance around the kitchen, let myself read a book while it’s baking/cooking and just relax. I love it. Not to mention the accolades I get from friends/family/Knight when I bake/cook? I’ll take ‘em ;)

9. Lauren says:

Sounds so good! I love mushrooms in recipes. Cooking & baking is relaxing for me, but it could be from all the cookie dough I eat while baking that soothes me.

Um, I need to stop reading your blog first thing in the morning. Otherwise I’m like “ooh, that looks good for breakfast!” Ha!

Baking is definitely relaxing for me – sometimes I think cooking is too stressful, but I also think it’s because I’m a little bit lazy!

11. Tamara says:

ok – that looks really good to me, and it’s 7:14 a.m.! happy friday!

12. Yum! I love mushrooms so I am sure I would love this dish. I can’t wait to do some cooking when I get back home. Risotto sounds pretty darn good right now, actually…

Cooking is usually a stress-reliever for me, too. It’s soothing for me to chop things up and create something. Well, assuming it turns out. I dont’ do well w/ super overwhelming recipes that are tricky. Like cheese puffs. Attempting to make those made me cry!

I love when new recipes you try turn out well and you enjoy every bite! So much better than a total flop of a recipe!

Hope you have a great weekend Amber!

14. Anais says:

It really depends but overall I’d say that it’s relaxing and therapeutic – and you get to eat something DELICIOUS afterwards :)

That definitely does look yummy! If you want I have a great recipe for spinach goat cheese risotto, too :)

Depending on what I’m cooking, it can go either way for me! If I’m making a simple dish, it’s relaxing for me. If I have three or four pots on the stove, I tend to panic when things start to boil over – and they always do! lol

16. I also did a cooking post today, but your post looks so tasty I may have try this one too!

Also, I realize now I’m in major need of nicer plates if I’m going to keep photographing my food. I know it seems silly, but I notice dinnerware as much as the actual food when I read food posts!

17. Jen says:

I don’t know that I would call cooking relaxing for me, but chopping and washing dishes is!

This looks delish. Bookmarking to try later!

18. OMG that looks so good. I love baking and cooking because they totally are relaxing. I just wish I felt okay taking the time to do either without guilt. :S I know I shouldn’t feel guilty, but I totally do. Hmmm I really have to try some risotto.

19. How weird is it that I dont even like mushrooms, but I would still totally try this? It just looks so good.

I love cooking AND baking. I definitely find them both relaxing, as long as Im not in some kind of hurry.

20. Heather C says:

I have yet to try and conquer Risotto, but everything made with it (or even the recipes “Supposed” to be made with it) looks so Savory and creamy and delicious! Starring this one :)

21. Mmmm…looks yummy!

22. Erin says:

That looks SO good. Definitely LOVE cooking—–it’s a huge stress relief!!!

Mmmm! I love mushrooms!

24. shoshanah says:

I wouldn’t necessarily go with relaxing. I think I worry too much of doing too many things at one and have them all done at the exact same time for it to be relaxing. But that doesn’t mean I don’t still enjoy cooking

Oh, gosh, cooking is SO not relaxing for me. I’m always so afraid I’m going to screw dinner up, ha! I would definitely place reading or taking a bath wayyyy above cooking. ;)

26. I have that recipe bookmarked too!!!!!! I am super excited to make it!!

27. That looks so good! If I’m eating something really tasty, I tend to sigh contentedly as well :)

28. Ayla says:

That’s completely vegan? It looks fabulous. :)

Cooking and baking are definitely relaxing for me. We’ve been painting our entire kitchen and I haven’t been able to do anything in it for almost a week now. It was driving me crazy! Until this morning, that is. I was finally allowed to cook and it.was.amazing.

29. [...] food you make: I’m still pretty proud of the delicious risotto I made a couple of weeks [...]

30. [...] in advice,food and cooking,recipe // Remember that girl who baked scones on Saturday mornings, spent all day Sunday in the kitchen and even made a creamy, gourmet risotto on a weeknight? [...]